FIFTH THIRD BANK Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: Fifth Third Bank

There may be more reports for "Fifth Third Bank"

For more results perform a general search for "Fifth Third Bank"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Aug 04 2009
Fifth Third Bank, Fifth Third Bank Car Loans Cincinnati Ohio
This bank is the worst for car loans. My online bill payment system sent them a payment with the account number on the check. They sent the check to me as my address was also on the check with a letter saying the account number was wrong and to please resend the payment with the right account number. The account number was wrong as it was the first payment but the full name of the account holder was not the check. Regardless I followed their instructions and sent the original check copy of their letter and one of their payment stubs and a letter from me back to them. Collection calls continued and the check was later reversed back into my checking account. My bank explained that the check was sent back to them with a note that the account number was wrong and they were unable to accept the check!! After I had sent the check back to them with a payment voucher stapled to it! I called fifth third bank and went through a regular representative and a supervisor who both refused to listen to me refused to supply any fax information so I could send copies of their letter to me and the check copy and reversal on the bank but insisted quite rudely that I make a payment right now. I was fine making a payment as they had just reversed the payment but I wanted it posted based on the day I sent the original payment and I didn't want a late fee. I couldn't even get that far. After 15 minutes of them insisting their system was right and insisting the bank would not send me such a letter and calling me a liar I yelled at the supervisor to stop interrupting me and let me finish my sentence. He told me my screaming wasn't necessary and hung up on me!! Apparently anything more than a complete docile customer that accepts that we are all losers and should pay $50 late payments when they are not deserved are not acceptable. Based on the 100s of criticisms I've found all over the internet this is pretty much common practice with them. Danig Youngtown, ArizonaU.S.A.
Mar 03 2009
Fifth Third Bank ,Fifth Third Bank Auto Loan Nightmare Cincinnati Ohio
We have an auto loan with Fifth Third bank. Since the loan's inception it has been nothing but a problem. We were supposed to be financed through GMAC at 8% interest and the dealership processed the loan through 5/3 instead. The first communication we got from them was a letter saying the vehicle wasn't worth the loan amount and they weren't accepting it. We called them and they said that the letter was incorrect and the loan was accepted. The loan was processed at the wrong interest rate and that supposedly was corrected but never was. The payment book didn't come for two months after the loan was processed; we had to call and ask for it from them. The first two payments were never applied to the loan because of the lack of a payment book and were termed delinquent; that got resolved. It gets better. We go to the bank and they agree we should get the interest rate adjustment; oh, sorry, no can do but we sure can set your payment up for automatic withdrawal. No, thanks. They send us out a letter saying the car was not insured; it was and we sent them the proof. In the meantime 5/3 insured it and tacked another 40.00 a month on to the payment without explaining why and were able to send out a new payment book that time with no trouble. If you make a payment at the branch..good luck with them posting it and showing it as received on time and when you tell them you made it at the branch they tell you it needs to be in OHIO on the due date...is the branch not a part of your institution??? Guess not. It gets even better...they send a repossesor to the house and he says the loan is delinquent and we have been notified by phone and letter (not really) and they take the car..no notice, no nothing and we let it go; we don't fight the guy (who thanks us and tells us someone pulled a knife on him before when he was picking up a car so he really appreciates us being so cooperative) and we are so embarassed that this happened we'd like to fall into a hole. We pay to get it back; 600.00 in fees, 1900.00 total.....funny; the statement they can only mail to you shows 11 payments made from 2/08 to 2/09...sounds like one payment behind to me. We try to make arrangements to get it back..they can't find it....CAN'T FIND IT! Wait ..wait...today we get a letter (6 letters actually in one day) stating as of 2/27 the loan will be delinquent and subject to reposession..they already HAVE the car, they already HAVE the amount they claimed was delinquent which they would only accept in cash or credit card payment, they subsequently sent out a statement that they charged 3.00 for with the delinquency letter showing it wasn't paid to them although it was along with an additional payment through March, they have the 600.00 reposession fee, they've sent letters after they've already taken the car saying the loan is in default and they're going to take it if we don't respond in a certain period of time, their employees won't give out their names; they are rude and arrogant and they will make an appointment for us to retrieve the car and they can't FIND THE CAR! And they tell us they don't know why they took it. We had to file a police report to get the car back. We have it and paid the car off today. The gas cap was broken and the paint dinged and it had some mileage put on it. Roadwarrior55 Elmhurst, IllinoisU.S.A.
Feb 12 2009
Fifth Third Bank, Fifth Third Bank is very shady and dishonest to customers Cincinatti Ohio
I had a car loan with Fifth Third Bank. I was out of town and missed my Jan. car payment. When I got back last week, I had a letter in mail box that I owed them 915.04 (two car payments). If that payment was made by 3/6/09 my account would be in good standing. When I called to make the payment by phone they told me they have already turned it in to collections and I now have to pay the collection people the remainder of the loan in full. (Over $9000). I am holding in my hand the letter that states I have until 3/6/09. That is still three weeks from now, but yet I'M SCREWED. I STRONGLY discourage anyone from banking with this unscrupulous, dishonest, uncaring bank. I have read many other comments on-line about this bank. NOT ONE of them was good. PLEASE BEWARE BEFORE YOU DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!! Mommakris ames, IowaU.S.A.
Entity: Cincinatti, Ohio
29, Report #420519
Feb 05 2009
Fifth Third Bank getting ripped off by Fifth Third Bank Elyria Ohio
I agree with everything i have been reading about fifth Thir they need to be hit with a class action law suit . i also have an account with them and their fees are CRAZY , the way that they charge the daily fees are out of this world .I cant believe that i contacted the federal government had even though they have loaned banks OUR money they are not now or in the near furture planning on placing any laws to help protect customers from being ripped off by banks . I used to do telephone customer service for a bank and every cance i got i helped people with fees they were charged as long as it didnt hurt me by causing me to get fired or loose my job . Then the bank started monitoring how many fees each associate was giving bank and started writting them up and would if needed to fire that repersenative if they gave back to may fees , they set a daily limit on how many they coud reverse then they set up a computerized system that would make the determination for the rep and the only way to override was by a supervisor . Just thought you would like that piece of information. But back to Fifth Third someone PLEASE do something about this ank maybe if something is done about them then other banks will have to follow suit and if not maybe then the government will finally hear our pleas and do something themselves. Even after being a rep for another bank and knowing all about the Fed. Regulation laws for banks to follow i still am shocked about how this bank does its processing and charging of its fees. I once made a deposit on a Saturday and the teller told me funds will be posted first thing Monday morning but waht she neglected to tell me was that i deposit was also on hold til Monday and that the funds would not be available to make any purchases over the weekend . I made only 1 purchase at Sams club for 14.and change , on Wed. i recieved a letter telling me i was over drawn adn had been charged the nsf fee as well as 3 6.00 daily fees , i even got a 100.00 cash back from the check i depositd wich also caused a nsf fee , because the hold was for full amount of check and since i got 100.00 back it overdrew the account. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP US OUT!! Melina elyria, OhioU.S.A.
Entity: Elyria, Sheffield, Ohio
30, Report #196171
Jun 13 2006
Fifth Third ripoff unnecessary charges Canton Ohio
I am definitely going to change banks. I've been a customer for three years now and have had constant trouble. Besides an unfriendly staff (with the exception of a lady named Terri), I also have had to contend with the ridiculous over the top NSF fees. If I have sufficient funds for all of my checks but for one, why on earth do they bounce all of them? Even if I calculated it the supposed largest check first way, it still wouldn't come out to the ridiculous fees they've charged me. In addition to the NSF fees, they block my debit card from being used for 30 days. Isn't this a double penalty? If they are going to turn off my debit card, they better damn well return all of the money they've skimmed from my account. IF there is a class action lawsuit for this bank, please give me the information so that I can enlist. Colleen canton, OhioU.S.A.
Entity: Canton, Ohio
Jun 23 2008
Fifth Third Bank Black cats on Fifth Third! Lexington Kentucky
Black cats on Fifth Third! What was an authentic check turned out to be a bogus check! I got a nice little sum of money from doing an internet survey, and now some goon says I didn't follow correct procedure on my survey; I am stealing money from him. Well, his outfit is bogus anyway so he can afford to get ripped off by me. Ck in delaware Wilmington, DelawareU.S.A.
Entity: Lexington, Kentucky
Apr 08 2008
Fifth Third Bank Fifth Third Taking thier sweet time settling my disputes Cincinnati Ohio
I am 46 with 2 teenage daughters at home and I am disabled. My direct desposit goes in on the third of every month. I had a company that I did not have any dealings with taking money out of my account and the bank let them. I had this in dispute then on March 2008 my direct deposit went in and and on that saturday I used my debit card for gas, then on that sunday early morning I went to use my debit card for coffee and cigs and reliezed my card checkbook and license were gone, I called and alerted my bank at once. I went to the bank when they opened on monday morning and explained what ahd happened they put a block on my account then, which should have already been done when I called. I had to go through doing disputes on the charges that were done after I called in on my account which also started a domino affect on overdraft charges. I was credited the money back from they one company and some fees but as to all the new charges nothing. I was crdited one dispute of 107.00 about 10 days after I filed the disputes. Then on the 18th of the month 3 more withdrawls came out of my account 1 for 200 1 for 160 and one for 260 (this is on an account that has a block on it) which caused more overdraft fees. I had to file more disputes. Now in April when my direct deposit went in the sucked all thier fees from the top which left me with very little. I am now still waiting 35 days and nothing I go to the bank 3 or 4 times a week and call and talk to supervisors on the phone several times a week to be told we are sorry but we are doing the best we can. A week ago monday a supervisor guareenteed me my money was being released into my account on friday no later than monday, so on tuesday I call and no money, I spend the entire day on the phone back and forth waiting to find out where my money is. At 5:15 the branch calls me and tells me Ohio cant find my dispute paperwork all of a sudden, so she has to fax it again meaning what I have to wait another 30 or 40 days in the meantime I am getting charged more and more fees. I have not paid a bill since feburary, they came and repossed my car today and I am getting an eviction notice this week. I cannot get any money I cannot get back any money and I am going to lose everything I own and be in the street. ANd there is nothing anybody can do because its comapany policy and I have to just wait it out. BULL BULL BULL This bank is such a rip off Cindy Oldsmar, FloridaU.S.A.
Feb 13 2008
Fifth Third Bank USPS Must Lose A Lot Of Fifth Third Banks Mail Cincinnati Ohio
Recieved a call from Fifth Third Banks computer today, stating that my payment had not been recieved for Feb. Auto loan. So I checked my online bill pay and the payment was sent for payment on Feb as due. I called Fifth Third and informed them that the payment had been sent and asked if they could check with their recieving dept. to make sure they did not infact have it. The person from Fifth Third informed me that things always get lost in the mail, and instead of doing any research on their end I should put a stop payment on that check and send a new one. Now it would be a late payment and I would be have to pay late fees. I would have to believe it is in Fifth Third Banks training program for customer nonservice relations to not help their customers. I called my bank and explained to a real customer friendly bank representive and she put a stop payment on the Feb 1 check and reissued a new one, she also waved the stop payment fee. It nice to know that Firth Third Bank has the USPS to blame for their misplacement of their own paperwork, and they don't need to have any customer relations as I can see from the many articles about how bad they are. P.S. In 48 years I can't remember anything that the USPS has lost on me. Michael Rockwell, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Jun 01 2009
Fifth Third Bank Has anyone ever been fired from Fifth Third unjustly? Cincinnati Ohio
Has anyone ever been fired from collections at 53 Bank? I have been experiencing co-worker bullying and I'm afraid they will fire me vs her.This woman keeps maticulious notes on all employees and then turns them over to the supervisior. She is a Team Lead of three of us. If I do get fired, I will be the 14th person in this position that this woman has gotten fired. She has taken me and the other woman that works with us to HR numerous times for trivial things. She reports ever move we make and in the meetings with the supervisior, she brings all these things up. I'm hoping that at least a few of the 13 others that have been fired will respond as I am thinking of filing a law suit against this woman. Mad as hell Newport, KentuckyU.S.A.
35, Report #419145
Feb 02 2009
Fifth Third Bank ,Fifth Third violates their own written policies to charge fees Cincinnatti Ohio
After 10 years I was forced to move banks. 5/3 set up an overdraft account to protect me then changed their policies and charged me over $300 dollars in fees over a 10 day period. They admitted to policy violations but would not refund all the fees. They said I should monitor my account daily on line. If I did that I would not need the overdraft I could just transfer from savings. Another time, They held a local check from my buisness account (not at fifth third) for ten days and caused me to bounch several checks. When contacted customer service they admitted a 3-4 day hold is allowed but is usually only one day. You have to watch every transaction and fight for any refunds if they will give them at all. I intend to reduce my two free accounts to a few dollars, then transfer $$'s between them on line to show activity and have them mail me my monthly accounts for the next ten years just to cost them. Jeffjet Indianapolis,, IndianaU.S.A.
Entity: Cincinnatti, Ohio
Aug 15 2012
Fifth Third Bank Do not get a home loan through Fifth Third! Lakeland, Florida
My wife and I decided to buy our first house. We went through the First Time Home Buyer's class in the area and were going through Fifth Third because they seemed very nice in all the branches we went to, and promised a discount when you have a home loan through them and an account. We went to a branch and were approved right away. We then went through the process of finding a home. We found one and contacted the bank to tell them we want to proceed. The sellers were nice enough to put a new roof on the house, because the old one was the original. They were ready to sell us the house from the day they signed the contract. Then the fun began.... The loan officer asked for paperwork. He had us email and fax it. He said it was easier and faster to do that. We had no problem doing so. We gave him everything and a couple of weeks later he said he needed more. We sent him what he asked for, and he told me that's all he needed. It was getting very close to the original closing date, but he reassured me we will close on time. Then it was the Friday before closing on Monday. I called my realtor and asked him if the loan officer contacted him, he told me no. We both contacted my loan officer's boss and all of a sudden the loan officer was rushing to his office to do some of our paperwork. Suffice it to say we did not close on Monday. Since hardly anyone closes on the original date, I wasn't very worried. We signed an addendum to the contract and waited. Then a week later I recieved a call from the Ohio Fifth Third (their headquarters) and spoke to another loan officer. She asked for more information. I emailed it to her and we waited. A few days later she asked for more information. Again. Again. Again. We were getting frustrated. Then our local loan officer asked for more information. We sent THAT to him. We asked how much more they needed. He said that was it, he was just waiting for the underwriters to aprove everything. The woman from Ohio asked for more information at that time. We were very frustrated and my wife told her she doesn't want to give her any more information because our local loan officer told us that's all we had to do. The woman was angry with us and I went on a conference call with both loan officers. It turns out our local officer didn't have the authority to tell us we don't need to give any more information and only the woman from Ohio did. Now we were afraid because we gave her a hard time, not realizing she was the underwriter (she told me she was only a loan officer). After all this and a total of 5 addendums (more than average according to my realtor), we finally closed over two months after our original closing date. The seller's realtor asked what took so long, and we just shook our heads. We told her to be careful with Fifth Third Bank. After all this, we recieved a letter from another mortgage company a month and a half later. Fifth Third already sold our mortgage! What is it with these people? Nonetheless it's better they sold it, so we don't have to deal with them for the next thirty years. We are going to close our account with them and going with our old bank.
Entity: Lakeland, Florida
Sep 21 2007
Fifth Third Bancorp FIFTH THIRD BANK STRIKES!! Cincinnati Ohio
I have been with Fifth Third bank since it has taken over Old Kent. I have had my fare share of overdrafts in my time thru Old Kent and now Fifth Third. I was recently informed. I had placed a payroll check into my bank account on a Saturday, and I proceeded to use the funds thru the weekend. When I went online to balance my account as I always do on Monday morning it said that I had a balance of roughly 30 dollars but that I had over drafted my account an that charges were pending. I persisted to call the customer service hotline to review why I had pending charges I was informed that only 100$ of my deposit was available as of Saturday and that due to my pending charges they were charging my 5 overdraft fees in the tune of 165$. They told me that a notice had been sent in the mail stating the changes to their policies and that everyone was notified. I was never notified by mail, and there were no notifications on my online statement. So that day I proceeded to get some help by getting an online loan to cover the overdraft fees. The bank told me if it was deposited that night there would be no fees for the pending charges. The next day when I reviewed my online statement I noticed it said I had an available balance of $120 dollars but my ending balance for the day before was a negative $168 dollars. When I called they told me that the pending charges came thru at 12:00 midnight, which is their posting time but the deposit did not go thru until 12:01. They were not willing to work with me at all so I was charged another $165 dollars in fees. Then to top it all off after they told me that the only way to have access to a deposit in my account is to have cash deposited, so I had my father remove $500 dollars cash from his IRA account at Fifth Third and deposit into my account so that there would be no more screw ups. Minutes after he had deposited the money into my account I checked my online statement it said that between the funds that I had available and the deposit that was made I only had $176 dollars available. They are holding $400 dollars of the funds to verify the deposit. This is ridiculous. The money was transferred from a Fifth Third bank account and they are going to hold the funds. I am completely fed up with their lies and their poor customer service. I am pulling my bank account with Fifth Third along with my parents. I have spoke with many other individuals who have told me due to the way I have been treated and what has happened they are doing the same. I have a total of 8 people who are pulling their accounts with Fifth Third. Now I know that 8 people to a large corporation like Fifth Third is very small, But I will continue to warn everyone about my experience with this corporation and warn them to take their business else where. Joe Northern, MichiganU.S.A.
Sep 25 2005
5th Third Bank - Fifth Third Bank ripoff skip a payment Cincinnati Ohio
Received a Skip a Payment Form from Fifth Third Bank (which we have done before) for the month of August 2005. We signed this form and mailed it in. Two months later we received a letter stating the August payment was never made. Called Fifth Third Bank and they refused to deal with us because it was sent to a collection agency. Never received any notice from the bank that the skip a payment was not accepted never missed a payment before and they immediatly sent it to collections. I think Fifth Third Bank does this so they can tack on late fees. I am taking out a home equity loan to pay off this car loan so I will never have to deal with these crooks again! Steve North Port, FloridaU.S.A.
Feb 21 2008
Fifth Third Bank BIGGEST RIPPOFF BANK EVER!!!! Ohio
Fifth Third Bank sent my auto loan to collections for lack of insurance. They never sent me a notice of anything. I get a call from a collections office stating that they are about to reposses my car. I have never missed a payment and made more than what my payment is suppose to be. The lady at collections started asking if I had insurance and I did so she gave me a number to call. First thing Monday morning I did and got my insurance co. on the phone with them on a 3 way call they updated their information that I had insurance and never went a day without it and Fifth Third Bank's insurance dept. said it was taken care of. Three weeks later I am still getting harrassing phone calls from the collections people demanding payment and the next months payment also. I have spent countless hours on the phone with the insurance dept. at the bank and cutomer service and not one person can help me. All I get told is sorry for the inconvience but there is nothing else we can do, our system is updated but it can take up to 30days for corp. to get the update. I should have never been turned over, I have always had insurance and provided that the day I bought the car to everyone. They even failed to notify me of anything that was going on. I am truely in a nightmare for something that is not my fault! Susan Mooresville, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Cinn.,, Ohio
Mar 04 2008
Fifth Third Bank Unfair and Excessive Bank Charges Lexington Kentucky
After years of banking at 5/3 Bank, I tried to refinance a mortage on my business commerical property. Not only did they offer me a horrible rate, almost 3% more than what I eventually refinanced for, they also said that it would be impossible to take out any of the equity. The building was appraised at %165,000 and I owed $101,000. I had asked for $8,000 to make improvements. 5/3 said no. I refinanced with PBI Bank and they were happy to give me a great rate and the $8,000.00 and told me I could have taken more if necessary. After this poor treatment, I decided to change banks for my business and personal checking and found that 5/3 charges $50.00 per account to close an account. That is a rip-off. I have emptied the accounts, but have not closed them as they can sit at zero with no service fee. I want to protest these fees and get the accounts closed. Michele Lexington, KentuckyU.S.A.
Entity: Lexington, Kentucky
Nov 02 2005
Fifth Third Bank - 5/3 Bank RIPOFF Lying, uncooperative, mismanaged, deceitful and Fraudulant. Cincinatti OH
I had two mortgage loans through Fifth Third on the same house. One was my primary which was down to $112,500 or so in 2002. In 2002 My wife and I (now divorced)took out a home equity line of $20,000.00. At the time they appraised the house for $130,000.00. Because of the divorce and a reduction in my own income, I struggled to make the payments. The primary loan was $1080 a month. By the spring of 2004, the primary mortgage was in default. I was able to bring it current, but fell behind again almost immediately. In June of 2004 I conceded that I would not be able to keep it and put the house up for sale. The primary mortgage went into foreclosure shortly afterwards. I had a buyer by early Fall. The offer did not cover both loans. It would have paid off the primary, legal and real estate fees and commisions and about half of the $20,000 equity loan. Fifth Third's equity loan department refused to discuss this with me. Because I had continued making the equity payments, they said they had no reason to discuss a short sale with me. This was despite the fact that the same corporate bank was forclosing on the primary loan on the same house. The lady I was working with in the Primary loan department attempted to force them to agree by going over their heads, but we were still told no. I decided to quit making the home equity payments. I figured that they may be more willing to negotiate if that loan was also in default. And besides, if I was losing the house anyways why make payments that I would never benefit from. In December of 2004, I had another purchase agreement/ offer on the house. Once again the equity loan department refused to consider a short sale. I explained to them that once the redemption period was over that their lein falls off the home anyhow. I was willing to negotiate a payment plan on the balance of the loan, if they would accept the short sale. They could have received $10,000-12,000 of the $20,000 and I could have only owed them around $8,000. Either way, when the foreclosue was complete, or a sale was finalized, the loan would no longer be secured by the house. Much to my disappointment (and disbelief) they still refused to cooperate. I had yet a third buyer lined up in the early Spring of 2005. But once again the equity department refused to work with me. To summarize all this chaos; Although my two loans were held by the same bank, one department cost the other department thousand of dollars. It took a full year for foreclosure and eviction to occur. The primary loan department had to have taken a huge financial hit, that was not necessary. The primary loan was a FreddieMac loan, so they also lost money. Finally, the PMI company had to cover the difference on the primary loan, when there would not have been a difference had I been allowed to sell the home. The house was listed in June 2004 by my agent at $139,900. The first purchase offer I recieved was for $130,000. The second offer was $125,000. The final offer was for also for around 125,000, but that person was willing to go as high as 132,000. In October 2005, FreddieMac sold the house at auction for $110,000. Now the equity loan department has begun legal preceedings against my ex-wife for about $22,000 (Because she was a cosigner on that loan). I feel I went above and beyond what most people would have in that situation. I tried for a year to sell the house, I made innumerable calls to dozens of different Fifth Third employees, as did my real estate agent. We were both treated poorly by the majority of people we talked to. One person, Homer Smith, actually threw out a purchase agreement that my real estate agent faxed him because it was not addressed properly. Not only has Fifth Third bank cheated themselves and me, I believe they have defrauded FreddieMac and the PMI company. If anyone has any advice, or could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to assist my ex-wife in this matter. She should not have to pay this and I am not in the financial position to pay it myself. Michael Burtchville, MichiganU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Fifth Third Bank
Entity: Cincinatti, Ohio
42, Report #171900
Jan 15 2006
Fifth Third Bank it should get a name change to fee third bank Southfield Michigan
I have had nothing but problems with fee third bank and it's fee. A few years ago I was unlucky enough to get a lease auto from fifth third. I got nailed on a couple of late fee ($35 per). I thought this excessive considering it was a 200 lease. I called and asked if they could switch the due date because it was on the 25th of the month and I wanted more towards the end of the month so it would be due when all my other bills were due. To do that it would cost me $20. I couldn't understand why they need 20 to switch a due date. I then inquired about having them directly take the money out of my account. They said they would do that but there was a fee of .30 per transaction. I know it's not a lot of money but I have most of my bills taken out directly and no other company I have dealt with charges a fee. Now my lease is up and I'm sure they will nail me for a bunch of things. A few months ago I did they unthinkable. I got a promotion in the mail for a 2 percent cash back credit card from Fee Third. I thought about it and figured Christmas was coming and it's better then the 1 percent card I have now. When I got the card I checked their web site. I couldn't figure out how to pay online so I called them up and they said you could only pay online if you have an account with them. Now that's service. So I kept the card anyways and when I got my bill in I made sure I sent it in 5 business days before it was due. Five days after they bill was due I noticed they never posted the check. Then they slammed me for a $35 fee. Was I pissed. I called and they said they never got the check. After screaming they said they would wave the fee if I went to a bank branch and paid it that day. I did, and wouldn't you know it the check I sent in by mail was posted that night. So now I double paid. It just seems like they held onto my check to nail me for a late charge. It just seem fishy that it would take 14 day to get the check only to have it post after I went into the bank branch. I really can't wait until I earn enough for my cash back, so I can call then up to cancel the card and tell them to shove it. Joe Warren, MichiganU.S.A.
Entity: Michigan
Mar 15 2006
Fifth Third Bank ripoff dishonest overdraft charges Bexley Ohio
Ok - I've read a lot about the overdraft fees of 5/3. And please - don't post giving me some lecture on my irresponsible financial habits. Two days ago, I checked the 5/3 web-site and to my dismay found that I was $150 overdrawn. I had written a check to someone in JANUARY that he just decided to deposit. My direct deposit pay check was due in on 3/15 (today), so I gathered up every cent I had and went on 3/14 to deposit $315. I deliberately took the deposit before noon and took it to the teller rather than the ATM. I asked the teller if I was going to get charged anything, or if there was more pending, and if this amount would cover it. She said yes, that it would cover it and I was ok. So I left thinking Wow - dodged a bullet there! Then I got up on 3/15 and discovered that $330 had been charged to my account in over draft fees. Panic stricken I called the local 5/3 and after being on hold for 7 MINUTES (without any one checking to see if I was still there and able to hold), the branch manager said Sorry, I had other customers and proceeded to ask me what was wrong. I told him all of the above, and reminded him that an $1100 deposit was going to clear today 3/15. He proceeded to lecture me on personal finance and basically told me that I need to suck it up, it's all my fault, etc. He offered to refund a WHOPPING $66 back to my account. When I asked about any additional fees he said oh yea, there's another $198 that will hit today. I asked him to waive those in light of the fact that the $1100 was being deposited and he said he would talk to the branch that my account was opened at and see what he could do. I said no thanks, I'll call them. So now I'm on to branch manager #2. Not quite as worthless, but still rude and not helpful. This branch manager said he could refund $150 back, but couldn't do anything about the pending charges, even though there was supposed to be a direct deposit because he couldn't see it. But mind you - he could see all the pending transactions, as well as the $198 in pending fees. AMAZING how their computer system has selective sight. Oh, and he so kindly reminded me that 5/3 is for-profit. No kidding! So - the resolution to this is that he'll refund my $150, but that's it. I'm definitely closing the account - like I should have 4 years ago when this happened to a friend. To sum up my main complaints - Why in the H*&^ would you clear a debit before a credit? Why would you clear the larger items first, if not to just make money? Why would you allow a credit/debit card to continue working after an account is overdrawn? It all seems like it's just one big ploy to make 5/3 money. Natalie Canal Winchester, OhioU.S.A.
Entity: Bexley, Ohio
44, Report #193286
May 25 2006
Fifth Third Bank ripoff payments lay on desk for late fees Cincinnati Ohio
Fifth Third Bank is really ripping off it's customers. The bank claims to allow a 10 day grace period.(crap) send in your payments and let them lay on a desk until the bank can add late fees. We were verbally told that the payments may lay on desks 10 to 14 days before the payment is posted because they have so many payments to process. Not my problem. The bank is very hesitant to send any thing in writting. Fifth Third Bank is making a lot of money on late fees,and reuining credit history. Should this be allowed?????? Definately Not!!!!!! Come on people don't let the bank away with this. I'm joining the class action lawsuit. Let's go after these gold diggers!!! Gary l Port St. Lucie, FloridaU.S.A.
Oct 18 2006
Fifth Third Bank Dihonest business practice to collect excessive fees on inactive account Camby Indiana
In Sept of 2004 I left the city of Indianapolis do to a lay-off by one of the major employers there. I had a checking account with 53rd Bank. In approximately Dec 2005 I stopped using my checking account and left a Balance of $25.00 in the account. I never used or accessed this account again. On Oct 16th 2006 I received a notification from 53rd bank that my account had been over drawn and the account had been closed with an amount of -$185.36 and had been turnover to collections. I contacted the bank at the 800 number listed on the website. (Their was no phone number on the letter) and I spoke to Eric who indicated that after talking to the branch that an auto debit of $29.00 had been presented in August, and had over drafted the account by approx $4.00 and had accumulated fees of $181.35. I asked him why this had been turned over to collections and no one had notified me. He said that written correspondence had been returned and the phone had been disconnected. (Yet the bank and the collection agency had a my current and correct address and were able to find me) I find this practice and the fees to ridiculous. I now risk a negative comment on my credit report and I believe this to be a violation of the Fair Credit and Reporting Act, in addition to what amounts to nothing more than poor business practices and customer service. It is apparent that this Financial institutions primary goal is to exploit it customers with astronomical fees and strong-arm collections tactics. This incident occurred in August and in less than 60 days has been turned over to a Collection agency (Nationwide Credit, Inc sent me a that I letter received on 17th Oct) and I have not received any correspondence other than the collection notice. I have spoken to them about reducing the fees but was told that since it was turned over to collections I had to pay it. I strongly urge anyone who is planning on opening a new account to consider any other financial institutions besides 53RD Bank. Their customer service, and business practices are poor at the least and border on extortion at the worst. For a $4.00 overdraft I incurred penalties and fees of 4550%. Wow who needs loan sharks when you have banks that do this! I am disputing these charges with the credit bureau's, reporting this to the BBB (but don't expect to much) and notifying other government agencies. Again, if you are looking for a new financial institution, I would strongly urge you to consider anyone (but recommend Credit Unions) than 53rd Bank. Dennis Chesapeake, VirginiaU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
46, Report #202480
Jul 23 2006
Fifth Third Bank Excessive fees and transfer policy ripoff Indianapolis Indiana
Upon setting up my new checking and savings account with Fifth Third Bank, I was told that checking overdrafts would automatically transfer funds from my savings account. This did not happen. I was charged $99 for three overdrafts which totalled only $8. The bank arranged the overdrafts so that the highest possible number of overdraft fees would be charged. In this case, three overdrafts at $33 each. Upon complaining, the total overdraft charge was reduced to $50 and I was informed that my savings account would then be connected to my checking account. Even with the reduced total, this is unfair. I was told that my accounts would be linked. There should be no charge due to their mis-statement. Verl indianapolis, IndianaU.S.A.
Entity: Indianapolis, Indiana
47, Report #201210
Jul 15 2006
Fifth Third Bank Horrible customer service, excessive fees Cincinnati Ohio
First off, I acknowledge some fault in this event and have attempted to work with Fifth Third to resolve it equitably to no avail. They appear to 1) not want to resolve the issue, and 2) want to continue it so that additional fees may be added. I am a student at the University of Cincinnati, but do not live there when not attending school. When the Spring Qtr ended I drew my account down to about 1 dollar and went home for the summer not intending to use this account until school resumed in the fall. Early in July I received a notice of an overdraft of $37 which occurred on June 21, about a week after I left Cincinnati. (This was actually an unsanctioned use of my account which has since been reversed). I was notified by the bank via mail, which took about three weeks to arrive since it had been sent to the dorm at U.C. and had to be manually forwarded. Fifth Third had been adding an additional 6 dollars per day for each day overdrawn, in addition to normal overdraft fees! The bill was now well over $100. After speaking to a bank employee I sent a check for $70.00 covering the overdraft and the $33 fee which I certainly felt responsible for. I also faxed and mailed a letter explaining that I did not feel responsible for the accumulation of the $6/day fees but that I was paying the overdraft and inital fee. The bank certainly could have mitigated the fees by contacting me by e-mail or phone rather than by mail, something they seem to be able to do now. They also could have kept a happy customer by ending things with the amount I paid. They seem to be so big that thoughts of customer satisfaction have no place in their bank. At this point the only money owed is related to the $6 per day fees they have continued to add. The debt is self perpetuating. Warning to University of Cincinnati students! There are many banks in Cincinnati. Steer clear of Fifth Third Bank. John Columbus, OhioU.S.A.
Mar 20 2005
Fifth Third Bank Screwed employees big time Naples Florida
In the fall of 2004, Fifth Third bank announced its takeover of First National Bank of Florida in Naples (some people had left good jobs to come work at First National just a week before the announcement). Fifth Third announced that it would be about four months for the merger to be completed and layoffs to occure. That it would appreciate people to remain working hard up to the last day and then they would receive a severance package (which turned out to be about 2 weeks pay, but that is beside the point). Many employees were supporting families and could not afford to take chances so they looked for other positions. Some people found them. As it turned out, everyone at the headquarters, except vice presidents, were laidoff. Those people who resigned before the last day, even though they gave 2 weeks notice and always received sterling performance reviews, were forever barred from employment with Fifth Third and Human Resources marked them as left without notice or poor performance and ineligible for rehire to take revenge on them, thus screwing them when trying to find future employment. Please let them know you feel about this unethical behavior. Scott Fort Myers, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Naples, Florida
Nov 10 2004
Fifth Third Bank Rental Real Estate Rip-off! Dayton Ohio
Back in 1992 I had acquired 5 rental properties and wanted to either refinance them (to pay off the credit cards I'd used in doing total rehabs to them (I did ALL the work myself turning NASTY places into the nicest houses around)) or to finally put an end to the buying/rehabbing spree I was in and finding other ways to make money. Most banks sell their mortgages to Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, but at the time neither would buy loans made on people with 5 mortgages already. I knew this going in and wanted to refinance mine ONLY if I could get future financing on future projects. I informed them of same, the Vice President actuall came into the office and told me that they surely would do any future refinancings of any new properties and that they loved my kind of people because they housed their own loans. On his insistance that they would co-operate with future property refinancings I then refinanced the 5 properties I owned and in the course of the next 2 years bought and did rehabs on 3 more properties. I went in for refinancings, they stonewalled me! I wasn't allowed to talk with Mr. Sadler at all! I hired an Attorney to try and help... he couldn't get in either. It eventually bankrupted me. They participated in a business decision and legally that is grounds for a suit. I persued the suit... no attorneys would take the case without $10,000 upfront fees. I spent weeks trying to find legal help... they all wanted $10,000 up front before they'd even look at it. I spent hundreds of hours at the local Law library and finally put together a web site with all the pertinent information, precidents, scanned documents...everythihng I could think of make it easy for thte attorneys... 6 months of 60 hours a week work. I then got a copy of every lawyer in Montgomery Co.'s email address and sent them a link. The only answer I got was from 5th 3rds attorney's saying they couldn't represent me. Then I had to file bankruptcy. 7 years later... I've finally got 5th 3rd (I think) to properly represent on my credit report that I don't presently owe them any mortgages. At one point they said (on my credit report) that I owed them $6,000,000.00... 1.2 on each of 4 seperate loans on lhouses located in neighborhoods where $40,000 is TOPS for a house. They also collected double judgements on me for every property and they bought all the houses from the public auctions. Also, in the process of getting the original loans they tried using appraisals from their apraisers that were 20% below actual Market Value. other appraisers have told me that was standard policy because they don't like the risk. In my opinion.....they have proven to me (I lost over $500,000 to them) that they're just rip-offs. What else can I say or do? They got the money....I don't...so I can't fight! John dayton, OhioU.S.A.
Entity: Dayton, Ohio
May 19 2005
Fifth Third Bank Ripoff, Rude Customer Service Reps, Poor Branch Management Customer Service Cincinnati Ohio
Where do I begin? We deposited our payroll checks into the account on Fridays at 12 noon. Come Monday morning, outstanding checks were posted to our account, but the payroll checks were not. Therefore, we were constantly getting nailed with $6 daily overdraft fees and $30 overdraft fees. This happened almost every week. When entering the bank to deposit checks sometimes the tellers offered overdraft protection which we applied for and where denied THREE times. The last time they offered it to us, we had to laugh. We figured out that we were losing almost 10% of our income in bank fees. we tried it all. Contacted 1-800-972-3030. They referred us to our branch. So we would contact the Branch Manager and it would be days without a reutrn phone call. One time he called at 5:30 and said he was leaving for the day and would have to call us the following day. He did not. The fees got so outrageous ($120 for one) and we were treated so rudely, that we sent a letter to Headquarters and no one replied. That was the last straw. We cashed our payroll check at a local grocer, and walked into our Home branch with the cash to bring the account into the positive and close it. They actually told us that we had to wait until the cash cleared the account before we can close it and that would be three business days!!!!!! WHAT???? ITS CASH! What does it need to clear! We argued and they kept telling us that was their policy. It was VERy apparent to us it was nothing more than a scam to get some more fees applied to our account so we would not be able to close it without giving them more money. Luckily we were finally able to leave Fifth Third and go to a great bank where we put our payroll checks in Friday night and its there on Sat morning. What a concept! I was relieved and astounded to see the amount of similar complaints by consumers! We need a class action law suit. I can not believe they have been able to get away with this for this long. Michele Sheffield Lake, OhioU.S.A.

Showing 26-50 | Showing Page 2 of 3,338