HUGHESNET Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: Hughesnet

There may be more reports for "Hughesnet"

For more results perform a general search for "Hughesnet"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jan 27 2011
hughesnet has mega false advertising, Internet
Everytime there is an advertising commerical for HughesNet, I wish that someone would investigate their false advertising! They advertise high speed internet, which is false, unless it is expressly compared to dial up only (they do not experesslyreport thisin their commercial). They advertise high speed downloads, and report that you can download an entire album of music in minutes. This may be correct, but what they fail to advertise is that they have what is called Fair Access Policy. This FAP not only limits you to a specific mb (200mb for a basic plan)per 24 hour period, but it restricts your speed to below the standard dial up speeds, once you exceed that limit. I have yet to see any album of music that would take less than 200mb, which in turn will not allow youto do what they falsely advertise it to do. If they need to advertise their so called wonderful high speed service, they also need to inform the listener of their Fair Access Policy. Drug companies give this type of disclaimer, about their side affects..and so, forHughesNet,to be honest about their service,THEY need to also provide such information.
Jul 02 2009
Hughesnet Contracts and Slow Internet Service Internet
I to like everyone else have been having problems with Hughesnet service for a very long time. I have been a customer since 2005 and I would do anything to get out of contract. I finished my first 24 month contract and I get a call from customer service telling my if I upgrade my modem my speeds will be faster and like a dumbass I do it but I also had to sign a new 24 month contract. Now keep in mind there is no other high speed internet services out here. My download speeds have been around 200Kbps and my upload speeds have been around 24Kbps. Hughesnets policy is to start trouble shooting after your speeds are under 800Kbps download and 100Kbps upload. Now that's for the pro plus plan $79.99. I tried calling basic Tech support many times over a few months time and after an hour or so they exulted my case to Advanced tech support level 4 every time. Then I have to wait up to 3 days to get a call from ATS (Advanced Tech Support). ATS always thinks they have fixed the problem and my speeds will be back to normal around 1200Kbps/down and 145Kbps/up for a few hours then they are back under 200Kbps. Keeping mind Hughesnet states it offers high speed broadband internet service and According to the FCC, the term broadband now means 768Kbps, up from the previous definition of 200Kbps. So after months of speeds under 768Kbps and over of the time under 200Kbps I called Corporate office at 301-428-5500 and pressed 0 for the operator and asked for Executive Customer Care and I talked to a woman by the name of Rebecca and told her my problem with my very slow internet speeds and that I have had talk to Tech support many times and they can't fix the problem for whatever reasons. I told her that I need to be let out of my contract or I needed a refund for the services that your company promised in the contract I signed and was not getting. She placed me on hold for about 4-5 mins she came back on the line and ask if I have taken the speed test on the hughesnet website and I said yes. I have about 3 pages of speed test done and over 95% of them our under 768Kbps. After she looked up my speed test on the website she told me that she would let me out of my contract. All you out there trying to get out of your hughesnet contracts Remember that the FCC defines Broadband as 768Kbps. You signed a contract for broadband internet service and if Hughesnet is not providing you with that service they are in breach of contract and have to let you out of your contract with no penalties or face a lawsuit But you must have proof that your speeds are under the 768Kbps and the only proof that they will accept is a speed test done on their site and you can take that speed test at http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com/ you must perform this test 3 times in the morning, 3 times in the afternoon and 3 times in the evening and do this for 3 days or more. I personally had 7 days worth to show them. You must have already tried to resolve this issue with ATS. Now like I said before there is no other high speed internet service around here that offer the speeds hughesnet offer well nothing over 1000Kbps. So what Hughesnet did for me is cancel my contract and came out and installed a new Dish and gave me a HN9000 modem for free. So now I have a new system at no cost to me and with no contract so I can cancel at anytime and yes the speeds are what they should be now. Now if we could just do something about customer service. If you want out of your contract because of slow speeds then this is the way. It worked for me and it will work for you. Brookglen Coalgate, OklahomaU.S.A.
May 12 2009
HughesNet Misleading Advertisements Germantown Maryland
5o times faster than dial up? That's their deceptive advertisements. At it's very best it might be 5 times faster than dial up. Sometimes it wasn't as fast as dial up! This was the most over priced and over-rated service I've ever purchased. It takes at least 3 associate levels to solve any issues and take hours at times to resolve a problem. I purchased the equipment for several hundred dollars, paid an additional 125 dollars to have the dish installed on a pole and paid extra when a technician was required to solve a problem. This has been a big money boondoggle that I wish I could have avoided. When cable was offered in my area I switched. At first I thought I'd keep Hughesnet a couple of weeks to compare. It took me less than 15 minutes to decide I'd never use Hughesnet again! After I was a customer of Hughesnet for 15 months they advised me that there would be a $300 early termination fee. Well, that's the icing on the cake! It's been a disater from day one. I don't know how I'll come out when I refuse to pay but I just know I'm glad to be rid of this lousy outfit! Roger Port Isabel, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: ,Germantown, Maryland
Apr 30 2009
Hughesnet slow internet Germantown Maryland
This company advertisements are false and misleading. Their service is no better than dial up. I tell everybody that asks about this service to look elsewhere because they charge to much for the service they provide and the service is nothing like they show on their commercials. Anonymous rosharon, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Germantown, Maryland
Apr 18 2009
HughesNet Billing Germantown Maryland
I had hughes.net satellite service from approximately 10 years. Oct 2008, I contacted the company regarding termination of service, because I was unemployed. In April 2009 I received a letter from Hugesnet stating that I owed them 90.75 because the credit card on file did not work. I called the company to straighten the mess out. First of all I spoke with MJ case # 17928306. She told me I had suspended service in Oct and it was reinstated on April 11, 2009. I told her I had not suspended I had cancelled. She forwarded me to Keven Case# 17928373. He said the same thing and this time I was assured the case was cancelled, but I still owed 25.28 for my service from April 11 to April 18, 2009. I asked for a supervisor, I was told by Kevin that the supervisor would tell me the same thing. I said I still want one. He placed me on hold. I held for over 15 minutes, no music or nothing to know if my call was on hold, lost, in limbo? Finally Sharon gets on the phone and says the same thing. I told her I don't care what their notes stated I had cancelled. She then asked me for my case number from Oct 2008. I said I dont have it, I disconnected the entire thing and threw out all that stuff in Oct 2008. Sharon said that according to the notes I had suspended the acct. I asked her why she needed the case# then if she obviously had the notes which were not accurate in front of her. She said she needed the case # in case there were other notes she could not find. She really Pi***d me Off with that remark. So in otherwords there could be notes that they cant locate but yet they are billing me for services I did not use, nor did I know I had. I asked Sharon why did they not send out a letter confirming that I had Suspended my account? I was told the company does not do that. Well DUH! I suppose that would be good customer service. I also asked her, Why did the company not send me a letter stating they were re-instating my supposed suspended acct. I was told they don't do that either. I told her at this point I was to pi***d off to talk with her and her stupid company who RIPPs people off by supposedly suspending an account instead of cancelling it, and then not notifying you that you were reinstated. The only reason I found out was because I had cancelled the credit card that this bill was billed against so I got a letter from collections dept, otherwise I would never have known they were billing me til I got my credit card bill. This company is the pits. I recommend you avoid them if at all possible. Their billing dept is the pits as is there tech support which is in India for Level 1 and Level 2 is in the Philipines, Level 3 is ok as they are located in Miami Fl and at least speak english. M LaCrosse, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Germantown, Maryland
Oct 21 2010
HughesNet Billing for services not rendered, Internet
I was a customer of Hughesnet for 5 yrs. There automated billing robocaller called and said I owed Zero dollars and Zero cents that had to be paid by credit card or they would suspend my service. My bill was not due until 3 wks later. When I called billing and asked how you pay $0.00 they said they did not know but if I didn't pay it I would lose my service. I paid my true bill and canceled the service. Now they have sent 2 months worth of billing to a collection agency for service I did not have after the cancellation.
Jan 07 2013
Hughesnet bait and switch , Internet
Hughesnet advertises $39.95 Power package.  In telephone conversations with sales reps. they do not mention the the monthly price goes to $59.99 after 3 months.  In web ads, the $39.95 is followed by a small plus sign keyed to the fourth or fifth para of small print which discloses the 50% increase in monthly cost.  Also, if inquiring about $39.95 package, sales reps. will steer you to the Power package.  They will not disclose that the federal government supports a Recovery Act package for rural areas unless specifically asked.
Entity: internet, Internet
Nov 14 2012
Hughesnet Deceptive advertising, Deceptive service Internet
I live in an area that has no internet service, I have been left with but one choice, Hughesnet. I was told by the company, the television and all the advertising that this company does, tell people this is a high speed internet service. This is so wrong, this service is almost if not equal to dial up service. The speed is highly slow. Absolutely horrible. Pages take forever to start, load and download. The company has told myself this writer as well as other persons in this area they are very fast as other high speed internet services. Again this is no where near the truth. The company also failed to inform myself and all my neighbors they are limited to 250 megabytes  of data before they start charging you more and billing you more. Forcing you to purchase tokens to continue to surf the net. The television ads on TV are false and outright lies and need to be stopped for false advertising, mis-representing the truth and deceiving the public about a service that does not exist. Even the representatives who installed the service in some of the installations in the area homes have said they are forced to deal with the false indications about the data limits when installing the service.
Nov 10 2012
HughesNet Hughes Network Ripoff, Internet
HughesNet is the worst Internet provider in the World! They sell their service as High Speed Internet Service but years ago I had dial-up service that was 10 times faster. You can't do any streaming video at all. When they installed my service the Installer gave me pages 1,2 and 9 of the 9 page contract only so I wouldn't see any of the material explaining they don't guarantee it will work at all. I'm locked into a 2 year contract but you can bet I'm getting rid of the Satellite on the 2 year anniversary. I'd get rid of it now but they will charge me $400.00 and the price of the equipment. If there is a Class Action Suit against this Company I'd like to join.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Nov 18 2008
HughesNet SOP Internet
After 4 years with Directway/Hughesnet, you would think I had learned my lesson. NOT! I even quit service once last year because it was sooo bad! The idiot that runs Direcway/Hughesnet/Directv is one of the greatest rippoff artists of all time. He also owns the company that manufactures the crap you use to get TV or internet. Does he care if your service works? Hardly! He is making his $$ either way. Signup and you buy his DVR/Modem and then you pay monthly for the worst service. I had to switch to DishNetwork for a satelite TV that would work. I don't have cable and there is no RF. Even the phone company can't offer more than ISDN at $170 PM. I don't like the tech support in India either. Language and knowledge are both issues. They can't deviate from the scripts they have to read and they have NO knowledge of the systems. Sometimes, if you get really nasty with them (hard to do because they are nice people) they will connect you with a real tech in the States that speaks U.S. English. Congress is always looking for something to investigate....... try Hughesnet. It deserves looking into for public scams. If you can, DO NOT sign up for Hughesnet !!!!! Their satelites are always having a problem in your area. You will hear that, over and over and over and over............ Xavier Rescue, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Dec 15 2008
Hughesnet more than dissapointed Internet
I have been happily disconnected from the world for a year. Because of my health issues and my disability, friends were concerned as I live on a mountain with no services or neighbors. There are no land lines for telephone. Cell phones do not work. At an expense to me (1/2 of my monthly income) that I really could not afford, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century with the sole purpose of being able to tie into some kind of phone service strictly for emergencies (and for the peace of mind for my 70 year old mother who is sure I will die and my dogs will eat me...) The main issue I have (after 4 thrilling days of internet in my home) is that the upload speeds from hughes net are so low that other things cannot be applied to your system (mostly any type of paid,or pre paid phone services). Again, more than dissapointed that high speed doesn't seem to be anything but words.... Deana Claypool, ArizonaU.S.A.
Dec 09 2012
HUGHESNET FALSELY ADVERTISING HIGH SPEED INTERNET, Internet
I have had service with Hughesnet for 3 1/2 years. I pay a little over $80 per month. The service is the worst. It is hard to understand the people on the other end of the line when calling customer service (because the customer service people are usually located in another country.) I have called multiple times about the slow download/upload speeds. They advertise high speed internet, but in reality, it is just as slow as dial-up and a RIPOFF! If I had any other choice of internet, I would NOT have service through Hughesnet. In fact, I just bought a portable hotspot and it works quite well, and I will most likely cancel my contract with Hughesnet soon. Please people, don't waste your money!!
May 14 2013
HughesNet Non Refund for Equipment Internet
 I signed up for HughesNet internet service on 30 December 2011.  I purchased the equipment for $299.98 with a voice guarantee that the equipment would be bought back for $200 at the end of the 24 month service agreement. I call in March 2013 to inquire about Gen4 for faster internet download and upload.  I asked if the refund would be available before the 24 month time frame.  They stated that the refund was only for the first 30 day.  Not true.  To be fair they did give me a $200 rebate when I first purchased the equipment.  I told the salesman that the math does not add up and he clearly stated that is right you get back $100 more.  They entered the agreement and now not honoring it. With new equipment for Gen 4 I am stuck with the old useless modem.
May 08 2013
hughesnet Be Very Careful Internet
I signed up for the 4G package. I have no phone service, cable, 4g, 3g etc. No choices if I wanted internet. It is very expensive but if one has no choice one pays. My Free installation cost $300. There are milage charges, pole installation, etc. Once enrolled you have 24 months of payments. I was told I can buy my way out for $400..... that number seem to change according to whom you speak.  Voip is horrible. I use it all the time for customer support and they say it is horrible. Skype works a bit but Google voice is very bad. Use with VPN is extremely slow.  Any other method you can use to get on the internet would be better. Netflix works OK but the cost surprising. I have the 10G package which is not enough if one wants Netflix, Hulu etc.
Aug 25 2013
HughesNet Hughes Internet Very deceptive business practices Internet
We just got this and WILL be cancelling our service IN THE MORNING TOMORROW. We were NOT told about any contract, we were NOT told about a ETF, we were NOT told about a bandwidth cap, NOTHING. VERY misleading and deceptive. We both work from home and this is WORSE than dial up and 7 times more! There are OVER 175 Rip Off Reports in essence of the SAME thing not to mention a I hate hughesnet Facebook page and Class Actions. CLEARLY we are not alone. Your VERY deceptive business practices are bad and I have reported everything and sent copies / notes of all times / details of calls, etc. to the FTC, our personal attorney and the Attorney General's Fraud Department of both your and my state.
Dec 01 2013
Hughesnet Deceptive website Nationwide Nationwide
We live outside of town in an area with no internet connection so we looked for a satellite company for internet. Found Hughesnet. Their website listed speeds and costs for plans that sounded reasonable so we signed up. Turns out that there are data limits that are not mentioned on the web pages anywhere. Our plan included (we found out later) 5GB of data. we burned through that in just over a week and connection speed dropped to dial up or slower. when we called to complain about the slow speeds it was THEN that we found out about the data limitations.  We canceled our servivce immediately and sent the equipment back for a refund. It's been 4 weeks and I had to call them this morning in order for them to send out the refund. I'm convinced that if I hadn't called there would have been no refund. This is one company that has no honor; they seem to be all about hooking and frying the customer.
42, Report #1192286
Dec 01 2014
HughesNet Hughes Network Internet Provider Internet
HughesNet is an extremely unprofessional business with the worst policies and customer service.  Total rip-off company.   They don't executed what is promised.  Internet doens't work when we do have data.  And we run out of data within 2 weeks.  And we pay an arm and a leg for it!! Atrocious cancelation fees.  Their customer service are scripted monkeys that say the same thing over and over again.
Sep 23 2014
HughesNet ISP Cost vs. service Nationwide
I am paying $73.00 (rounding up) for my hughesnet service and have been paying for it since 2010. I am using it more than I have in the last 3 years, we just downgraded our cable to save money. This is what I am learning. 1 TMZ video takes my status meter from 100% to 75%. As this reduces so does my speed, often breaks and needed buffering. I am aware I have free tokens. I am also aware that in order to use them I have to wait for my status meter to hit zero - in the mean while - I have to put up with a dial up like speed. I would gladly pay $10.00 for the service they provide. Why so much for this service? Is it because it is the going rate? Everyone is doing it? Is someone trying to recoop the cost of putting the satelite up there? How long will this go on? The consumer gouging that is. And try not to use the word Rural in your explanation - it's satellite, right?
44, Report #1200396
Jan 08 2015
hughesnet Class action Lawsuit Internet
i want to make everyone know what Hughes is doing to everyone. They are thieves. And even worse thieves than before they settled last lawsuit. I am so angry. i have been round and round screeming mad at thier pathedic liars over phone. Once i even got six months free service. So if they are willing to do that to shut one person up. that tells you how much they are ripping people off. I have never got even 1.5 Mps ever. I have complained until it made me physically ill. And they advertise 15 Mps. I am so angry it makes me sick how these corporations keep F* us!!!! They have over sold there bandwidth and the keep right on going. F* YOU! Hughesnet. We are coming.
May 30 2014
HughesNet Hughes Net Liers Nationwide
Just got HughesNet 3 days ago.  I wanted the 10mbps speed.  We were told by our salesperson AND the quality assurance people that there were NO LIMITS as far as usage and their would be NO THROTTLING at all.  Well as soon as I started downloading big files, etc Web Acceleration got turned off.  Called tech support and found out the SALES PEOPLE LIE!  We will be getting our 300 back for equipment plus the taxes they charged us for first month (3 days) service!  Going back to cable at a slightly lower speed but have unlimited bandwidth with no throttling.
May 29 2014
HughesNet Poor, Unreliable, and Expensive Internet Service Nationwide
When HughesNet says up to 10 Mbps what they mean is .5 Mbps, except from the hours of 2am to 7 am. We used HughesNet at our cabin home, and virtually every time we would visit, a great deal of time was consumed with technical support. In addition to slow service, consumers need to be sure to read the fine print with HughesNet: you are only able to use a certain amount of Internet data each month, and when you exceed that, you have to purchase pricey restore tokens to regain service. In the end, this is the most expensive service available. We found another provider, and we called to cancel HughesNet. It was a fight just to get the contract canceled. When we explained that it seemed unjust to have to pay $144 to cancel a service we never truly received, the best they could offer was to reduce the fee to $72 (and, because they charge a month in advance, they are still keeping our $79 fee that was just paid with only 4 days into that month's service).
May 02 2014
hughesnet BIGGEST SCAMMERS EVER!!! Internet
Congratulations! You guys are the WORST SERVICE I've ever had. I don't even know where to begin with you guys, seriously. I guess we can start with your first mistake, oh yeah week 1.  Your so called professionals came into my apt. complex and installed my dish and within 2 days I lost service completely..... I think I called like 2 or 3 times w/30 minutes of 'Troubleshooting' with one of your Techies to only confirm what I already knew, your service sucks..... This is after I wasn't told of a 2 yr. contract initially (devious losers).  I think it was a wk or 2 later you guys showed up to and it worked for like a month, month and a half tops.....Followed by the internet going down again for about another month, followed up with multiple calls and horrible and more idiotic 30 min phone calls including 'Troubleshooting' with a Tech.Then a miracle took place and I was able to get an appt. and internet again with one of your techies (probably the only one worth anything). Then I moved in February in the same building on the same floor and lost connection again. At this point I was burnt out on wasting my time with you guys after I called your techies a couple of times and they never called me back on the window they set (surprise, surprise).  So I think I went w/out internet for about another 1 1/2 to 2 months because I was just better off using a neighbors wi-fi.So you guys gave me a free month of service. Big woop. 3 months down, headache after headache. Who seriously has that kind of time to spend with your amateur techies on the phone??? All you guys gave me was a refund on the monthly fee you were ripping me off on to begin with.So after about 6 months with about 2-3 months of actual service, I decided to pull the plug on your MICKEY MOUSE CORPORATION and now you're  trying to tell me I owe you $300 to cancel a contract that I was LIED INTO??? (I was told the contract was 12 months, and my bill would be $60 every month, you guys tried charging me $90 the first month with some Bull shit upgrade! NICE.Almost Forgot..... Upon cancelling my contract with you guys you informed me that I needed to take an antenna off the dish that your guy installed along with the rest of the equipment after I specifically told you I'd moved out and to contact the landlord to get access to the roof. Your guy put in on, he takes it off. End of story.Well, I can tell you one thing. You will never see a penny from me regarding that $300 cancellation fee. I can't believe you're even allowed to operate in this country.... You're standards wouldn't hold up even in Congo.  And if you send me to collections I hope you guys have a lot of damage control..... I'm going to constantly slam you guys online for the crooks you are and nobody else gets taken like I have. Oh and by the way, it will never stop. All the worst,
Aug 02 2014
Hughesnet Ripped off, fraudulent sale Internet
interesting to see Hughesnet continues their ripoff thefts.  Six years ago, they convinced.Me they could/would provide high-speed Internet service .Setvice was slower than dial up and frequently stopped altogether.  They shipped a new modem, the wrong one, tried to claim they never received the return, did not ship a replacement then.  claimed it was received too late and refused to refund its price.  Complete and utter fraud and quite obviously a planned pattern of behavior. reading other's complaints it is plain that no one has stopped them.
Nov 09 2015
Hughesnet DON'T USE THEM!!!! germantown Nationwide
I entered into contract with Hughesnet and its been one problem after another!  It has Philapines technical support only and useless! slow to no service at all. Tried to tell me that I used 20KB in 6 days! We do not stream videos!  After 25 contacts I cancelled it! they wanted $400 contract termination fee! I have spent over $500 on computer persons only to find the installer cut my hard wires and telephone wires!  When the most recent repair person came he ran mud throughout my house THEN told me to go to Lowes and buy a $3.00 part and fix it myself! Are you kidding!  Spoke to corporate office who waved the fees!    Just don't enter into contract!   Deanna
Oct 19 2015
Hughesnet Inept practices leading to unethical policies Nationwide
I Purchased a home where Hughesnet was in place.  Seller suggested that I just take over the account.  I called Hughesnet and stated that I would be the responsible person on the account.  They said that they would be sending out an installer to upgrade/replace the modem at my home.  They wanted to bill my credit card, which I agreed to.  They also sent me paper bills which I accidentally paid.   After I realized that I had paid them twice, they refused to refund my money as they stated that my second payment was on the existing account (they had opened a new account when I had initially contacted them, unbeknownst to me.)  They claimed that the initial account had not been cancelled despite the fact that they had removed the equipment so that it could not be used!     They claimed that the equipment was removed by a second company, not Hughesnet, that Hughesnet works with.  What rubish, that is a company that they subcontract with.   This is insult added to injury as their service was spotty and their technical support inadequate.

Approximately 414 Reports Found