HUGHESNET Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: Hughesnet

There may be more reports for "Hughesnet"

For more results perform a general search for "Hughesnet"

Showing 76-100 of 415 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "Hughesnet"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

May 10 2007
DirecTV Hughesnet False Advertising ripoff Greenwood Village Colorado
I received a flyer stating local channels is included with every package. I have a $48.00 package plus and have not received any local channels. I have been with Directv since 2002. I called and was informed that local channels was not available in my area. But I could get the networks from New York or LA for an additional $1.50 per channel times 6 (Total $9.00) more. When I talked to Christina a customer service resolver she told me customers who pay $51.00 get those channels. I asked her if I could pay $3.00 more making my package the $51.00 could I get the local channels out of NY. She told me no I had to pay the full $9.00 making my monthly bill $57.00. No where on this flyer is there any astericks or local channels are available only in certain area. I also e-mailed this complaint to Directv. Do I expect to get any resolve out of this probably not. William Sumrall, MississippiU.S.A.
Entity: Greenwood Village, Colorado
Jun 09 2007
Hughes.Net - HughesNet - Direcway ripoff Unfair Fair Access Policy Internet
I've been a reasonably happy customer of HughesNet's (formerly Direcway) satelite internet service for nearly four years. Since April 2007, my satisfaction level has gone from 90% to ZERO. They have always had a Fair Access Policy (FAP) to limit broadband access. However, prior to April, I only exceeded the FAP on two or three occasions. Something changed in April (still unable to get a clear explanation) and all of the sudden, Im exceeding the FAP two to three times a WEEK. My internet habits havent changed. HughesNets computation and handling of their FAP has changed. I cant get a straight answer as to what changed or why and the customer service responses are totally unacceptable. Right now, Im being punished with a FAP slap down for 24 hours because I dared to visit a couple of photography websites for about four hours last night. I tried calling HughesNet for assistance earlier today. I even tried to upgrade my service (service sucks so buy more service and pay extra!). After over TWO HOURS on the phone, I got no resolution, no upgrade, and conflicting answers. Below is a summary of my calls: Called 866-347-3292, navigated through their cumbersome voice mail screening. Finally got a person after selecting the upgrade my service option. I was informed that an upgrade from home to pro with my current modem would add $30 to my bill. However, they could overnight me an upgraded modem at no charge and then the upgraded service would only be $10 extra per month. HOWEVER, nothing could be done to lift the FAP ban I am currently under. Well, that was unacceptable, so I asked for a supervisor. Supervisor came on line after several minutes on hold. He repeated all the same nonsense and blamed me for increased usage that was unfair to their other users. I offered to solve their concerns over my excess usage by cancelling my account. Well, Im over a barrel because I need high speed service. So, I request that he process the deal for the free modem upgrade and upgrade me to pro for the extra $10. Ill just have to suffer until the new modem arrives. He says OK and transfers me to billing. Billing representative came on line after several minutes on hold. Went through all the same crap with her. She is very sympathetic and explained that their complaints have SKYROCKETED since April when some sort of unintended program change DRAMATICALLY altered the way the FAP was calculated and enforced. The explanation was over my head. According to her, their tech department is trying to fix the glitch. It was clear from talking to her that the entire problem is THEIR FAULT, yet the only solution was for me to pay more. WOW! They screw up and cant fix it so they expect their customers to cut their usage or pay more. Oh well, Im at their mercy, so sign me up for the upgrade. Then she explains that she cant honor the upgrade offer quoted to me by the first guy. She says shell have to transfer me BACK to that department for them to process the upgrade. More time on hold. Finally, another service rep picks up. I give him my two case numbers and go through everything AGAIN. Hes a little briefer. Just says he cant help and sends me BACK to billing. Hold some more. Billing agent picks up. I go through everything once more. She cant comprehend or process the upgrade and says she has to transfer me somewhere else. At this point, Ive been on the phone over two hours and insist that she STAY on the line and give my info and requests to the next agent. Im tired of repeating myself. She agrees and places me on hold. I hold another thirty minutes, then the line is disconnected. WHAT THE HECK CAN I DO? Even when I surrender to their extortion, I still cant get them to upgrade my service. My advice: DONT USE HUGHES Daryl Terlingua, TexasU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Direcway
Jun 24 2007
Hughesnet ripoff The promise of high speed is a joke Internet
I am just confirming that hughesnet is a ripoff, and I am still in it, and trying to figure out what to do. I do not want to pay the termination fee, but I am at the point where I will to just get rid of the service. I really could paste the other person's complaint to mine, because my experience is the same. the other person's complaint is Direcway, but they have changed over to Hughesnet, and that is when my problems began. Debbie Campbellsport, WisconsinU.S.A.
Aug 01 2007
HughesNet Broadband Misleading Advertising Ripoff Internet
Hughes Broadband is the worst service I have ever experienced. I upgraded thinking I would get better service but boy was I wrong. I can't say anything different than what has already been written. My service went downhill when they started with the redhead started advertising on TV. I'm going to see if the Attorney General for Oklahoma can help. I hate giving my money every month for something I can't use to the fullest. Twenty dollars is too much to pay for this product. The professional is not any better than the home plan. Don't waste your money. If anyone comes up with a plan to change things around please include me. I gave up on technical support and customer service some time ago. I thought I would try just one more time so I called them a week ago. I could at least understand the rep and he tried to help but he just works for the company. I'm stuck with Hughes because of where I live and if I cancel I will owe them. Jacki Chickasha, OklahomaU.S.A.
Aug 10 2007
HughesNet What the FAP!!! ripoff Germantown Maryland
A FAP? What the heck is that? It only took 3 years to figure out that hughesnet had one in place. Before that ,I thought all the reasons that it was sooo slow, was because their internet service was not the fastest around First, let me start from the beginning Dec 2004 Moved from a city to rural northeast PA (going to manage a property conversion project to a retreat center), where for internet services I had two choices: Dialup or Satellite. The locals, when I was researching companies (there was only one, mind you--- the other one only offered download, and you still had to use another service to upload files). Had dialup for 6 months, and when getting closer to opening season, I entertained the notion of getting something faster (19.6K speed for dialup) May 2005 Direcway installation company came up and installed dish (DW6000), and pole (it was either the pole ($150) or install it on a pitch roof or the side of it, both unsightly options dish would probably get fried at the first severe weather storm). This is about the only thing that has been installed right and has worked from the onset. Though, the DW7000 came out soon after this one was installed. No, we didnt want to upgrade to that for another 600. What are we made of? Money? Also, if you want to be able to upgrade to the + or premium plan, get ready to replace the DW6000, because that setup cannot mix with those plans for some reason. Purchase plan of the dish was spread over 15 months, and the cost of the dish was added to the price of service for the month (59.99). So, each month, I was getting charged $109.99 per month. Much more than any other service out there would charge. I could get BOTH cable internet and tv for less than HALF that. Never did get my $100 rebate. Wonders never cease. Asked about it, too bad was the response. July 2007. After many months with the service, I finally find out about the FAP.. this was after third call to customer service in 5 days, because I seemed to have a degradation every other day, and no one in tech support (for the previous calls) could tell me what I needed to know, what the real reason was I can attribute it to my friend, who also didnt know the policy, decided to have a youtube fest and this happened multiple times. This was after time #2. During the 3rd call, the tech support guy in India told me I was full, and needed to empty out. Upon further explanation, had told me that my bandwidth had exceeded the limits imposed by Hughesnet.. Im asking, what limitations He first told me where I could find the info to track my usage via the internet (when it was working right) http://usageweb.hughesnet.com/shannon/act_usage.cfm He proceeded to tell me that there were three plans.. basic, +, and premium. Basic only allotted 200mg download per 24 hour period.. If you exceeded that number, you would be capped at speeds slower than dialup (I can attest its true.. You feel like youre on dialup speed when they do exhort their muscle). This was all new to me, as I had never seen such a policy on their website (you had to look real hard for it, after subsequent research), stating such a lame policy, since no other services instilled a bandwidth policy on their services. If everyone did this, no service like youtube, or any other video/music streaming would exist well maybe, if you paid $300 a month for internet, you might be able to get that, but who really has that type of cash available to waste on the internet? AUGUST 2007: So, since then, whenever I come up here, I have to put on the bandwidth usage site, and MONITOR the usage, wasting part of my day, so I dont have any more degradation of service. Today, has been a pain, because I have work to do, and I COULDNT DO MY DAMN WORK BECAUSE there is a cap on the service today. Try working when you need three browsers open on your clients site, and see how much damn work you get done. Im spending more time writing this letter complaining about hugesnet than working cause I cant do anything anyway! CUSTOMER SERVICE/TECH SUPPORT. Each time I call, Ive gotten India. About 20% of the time, I actually get someone there whos English I can follow, and we usually have a successful end of the call, and Im happy with the service. India is 12 hours ahead of us (EST). The service seems to improve if you happen to call after 8pm (EST) . I think Hughesnet picked up just anyone for the night shift out there. Most larger companies are turning to outsourcing to save money and make their bottom line look better, all for the sake of worse customer service. Expect to spend at least an hour each time you have to deal with any issues. I look with disdain whenever I have to call them for some reason, cause I have to go through the same verification BS every single time I call. FASTER Please. Complete B.S. Ive been at friends houses who have DSL/Cable, and theres no contest. Those two services are MUCH faster. Any claims to the contrary are just baldfaced lies! I never believed them in the first place. SERVICE: Try browsing on a cloudy day. Try browsing during severe weather. Try browsing when theres a dust of snow on the dish. CLOSING: I paid $59.99 per month to be LIMITED/CAPPED/WHATEVER, has got to be the biggest joke going. ALTERNATIVES: When one doesnt have any other choices outside of DIALUP, theyre screwed, when the other option is huges-ripoff-net. Stay with dialup. Its most likely faster, and cheaper, even with the landline requirement. WildBlue might be an option I think theyre more limited than the above. Verizon/Cingular/Sprint, spotty in some locations, are offering aircard services for laptops, that are slowly invading the rural space so, maybe, the next time Im in the country, Ill check that service out. I will NOT, nor will I recommend that any of my associates get this service, now, or in the future.. Lets all short HUGH and watch it go down. Maybe, another satellite firm, like CLWR or GSAT will replace them with better services, and better technology, and be able to keep a customer service line that links to people in America, not Inida, China or any other country that isnt the US. Im planning to contest my credit card bill for this latest round of lacks of service from this shyster company. Dave susquehanna, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Feb 07 2009
HughesNet miserable service, terrible speeds, unsympathetic reps Germantown Maryland
For the past few months, like so many others i've seen, we have experienced miserable service from Hughesnet. It can occur any time of day but mostly weekdays between 5:00 pm and 10:00 pm CST. The download speeds vary from 0.0 kpbs to around 100kbps if we are lucky. Uploads likewise are diminished. Customer support is based out of India, the reps are unhelpful, unsympathetic with our problem, and rude. I was called a liar by the lvl 1 rep, who then refused to transfer my call to a supervisor. They refuse to perform the necessary diagnostics to determine what is going wrong. They pretend they lack the capability to access the HN7000s remotely. This I know to be a lie as I have had techs in the past (before the downfall) do just that. I'm tired of writing leters now, I'm contacting the BBB and the Hughesnet corporate office. Brandon Gladewater, TexasU.S.A.
Jan 15 2009
Hughesnet charged me $521.18 for one day Germantown Maryland
I contacted Hughesnet to check on there service and the speed of downloads. after talking to them, I decided to give them a try. The agreement was to lease the equipment and therfore it would be a $99.00 activation fee which I gave them my debit card number. A few days later an installer came to hook it up which cost me another $170.00. I called the very next day and had it disconnected because of the slow service on one computer and could not even get on line with the other one. The very next day I checked my bank account and found they had taken another $252.18 out of the account, I called and talked to someone for a long time, who got his superviser who told me he could not do anything until maybe next month. When I ask where he was he said the Phillipines, I then ask him if had autherazation to do anything more and he said he was the top guy, I ask who the owner was and his or her number he said he did not know who owned it and had no number not even to the corp. office which I did get on line. I am so mad and have bounced checks because of this. I have an appointment with my Lawyer in the morning Sue Chipley, FloridaU.S.A.
Jan 17 2009
HughesNet FAP Fair Access Policy Anything but Fair! Internet
Living in a rural area, my options for receiving high speed internet access are few. Dial-up is excruciatingly slow and our local wireless provider's up time is horrendous. For this reason I became a HughesNet customer. I have no complaints about the quality of service and monthly rates are roughly comparable to cable and DSL available to those who can receive those services in the area. HughesNet's Fair Access Policy is anything BUT fair. It smacks of mass punishment. All users suffer because of the actions of a few. By that, I mean those who circumvent the intent and sell or otherwise provide a signal to their neighbors. The standard home subscriber is limited to 200mb of traffic per 24 hour period. With streaming audio, video, antivirus updates, software updates, etc., the 200mb limit is woefully inadequate. Additionally, I have no real control over someone attaching a large photo or video to an email I might receive. I am perfectly understanding of the reasoning behind HughesNet's FAP, but in this day and age of the internet, 200mb is archaic. If HughesNet is going to continue to utilize a FAP, they need to to increase the lowest tier of traffic to at least 500mb per day, or else find another way to identify and deal with offenders. Rayray Victoria, TexasU.S.A.
Feb 01 2009
Hughesnet Bandwidth, performance, Customer N0-Service RIPOFF Chicago Illinois
This company misrepresents itself in incredibly deceptive ways. They are the Enron of ISP's. They lie about bandwidth and download speeds/availability - these liars and thieves wouldn't know full disclosure if they were looking at themselves nude in the mirror. Their customer service is deplorable to say the least. If you found this site because you saw their TV commercials and decide to do a background check -good for you! Do NOT use this company. You'd be better off throwing your computer in the trash. Because my wife needs the internet for work (and her company requires ISP's with certain capabilities), and DSL isn't available to us, we had to use these thieves for our service. Believe me, if I could cancel them tomorrow, I would in a heartbeat. These people prey on rural communities with complete disregard for their needs. They lie - and I mean lie outright - about bandwidth availability, the equipment you need, and have the unmittigated gall to sell themseves to you as a high speed provider. They are nothing - and I mean nothing - like they tell you on television. It is amazing to me that some state's Attorney General hasn't gone after them yet. Forget class-action lawsuits - this company needs to be held criminally liabel for their blatant deceptive practices. Sdwat51 Rockport, West VirginiaU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois
Apr 30 2008
Hughesnet Broadband unbound my Beeeppp!!! Prosperity Internet
I am so tired of using Hughesnet!! This company is steadily ripping off there customers! I would be glad to to get 3 hours of steady streaming and I can if I stay up untill 4:00 a.m. Instead I get to wait 4 minutes for my email to open @ 11:00 in the morning so I can file this ripoff report!! I have had faster dialup connections. Add to that a cap on what you can download, 2-3 min for pages to open, no connection whatsoever if there is a cloud in the sky, yes a cloud(1), and a constant stream of uplink error reports when you sign on(web accelerator client down upstream tps 515.somethinmajigger) and you really get tired of trying to use the piece of crap! Broadband Unbound is how it's advertised right? Should be more like Broadband we take more money and provide crappier service while telling your it's a problem with your computer! Do Not Buy This Product!!! Will prosperity, South CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Prosperity, Internet
Jun 30 2008
Hughesnet RIPOFF, EXCUSES, OVERPRICED, WILL NOT HELP CUSTOMERS Internet Internet
We purchased Hughesnet satellite service in November, 2008. The first month was ideal. No problems. In January of this year, we started having speed issues, so I upgraded to the highest HOME service. STILL having problems with speed issues. Every time I call, I get someone who foreign and I can't understand most of what they're saying. They have me repeat the same procedures every single time and I've done it so much that I already have it done when they get on the phone. I've been told that the problem is on THEIR end, but they won't adjust our monthly rate until the problem is resolved!!! How do we file a class action suit against this company? Enough is enough!!! Will it help to report them to the BBB, FTC or FCC? I don't care what it takes......I just want this company to admit what they've done to their customers and to have to repay us for the services we haven't received!! Donna R Spring Hill, TennesseeU.S.A.
May 26 2008
Hughesnet Fair access policy is against the law Germantown Maryland
This company has starting limiting internet service but still want there money. This is unfair and a class action lawsuit should be filed against this company. Grizzly Kamiah, IdahoU.S.A.
Jul 08 2008
Hughesnet poor service tech non-support SLOW SPEEDS Germantown Maryland
I started with hughesnet in january and have been getting slower speeds since. Tried tech support but i can't speak indian so it's a wash. I finally got to a supervisor today and was told that theres nothing they can do. I do feel a little better hearing something different than delete your cookies, do speed test for 3 days, how many lights are flashing on modem?,it's your equipment, etc. Now my e-mail is turning on me too. All of a sudden powerpoint will not open . For those of you pondering hughesnet, don't run toward the light- it's an oncoming train....... I smell a class action coming and it couldn't happen to a better company. Sign me up today. Patrick BROOKWOOD, AlabamaU.S.A.
Sep 22 2010
HUGHESNET False advertisement, false representation of service rendered Internet
I have been a customer of Hughesnet for 4 years.  Not by choice, but because it's the only internet service provider at my 2nd home.  I have purchased a PremiumPlus plan so as to have decent Bandwidth allowance of 425MB per day.  I was under the impression that Per Day  meant a 24hr period.  This is not true with Hughesnet. If I download more than 425MB I get punished under the Hughesnet's Fair Access Policy. aka FAP. This makes my access speed severely downgraded to a snail pace the very minute I go over - for a 24 hour period.  If I want to purchase more bandwidth  I can pay $10.50 to buy a TOKEN for an extra 425MB or $25 for 3 prepaid TOKENS.  (Hughesnet allows you one complimentary token once every billing cycle.) I have been punished under FAP many times, which has prompted many calls over the years to tech support to ask WHEN did I go over?  What time of day does my allowance begin and end?  How the heck did I go over at 2am in the morning when I've been asleep all night.  Or I was at work all day - when did I go over - I wasn't home....????  I tried and tried to figure this out. Anyway, after using a token, my Bandwidth is immediately restored to 425MB the minute I use the token.  Now here's the ripoff. I was told that after resetting my bandwidth to 425MB by using my token - that is the starting point for the 24 hour period with which I can use up to 425MB.   Suppose I used a token to get back up to speed at 10am.  One representative told me at 10am the following day (and every day after that at 10am) my usage would automatically restore to 425MB-refreshing my daily allowance for the next 24hr period IF I don't go over the 425MB.  But if I do go over - say at 11pm one day - then I would need to buy another token and submit it, and therefore my 24 hour period allowance would now restore itself at 11pm everyday until the next time I go into FAP punishment. In other words, everytime you use a token, the time you use it is noted as your new starting point for your 24 hour allotment.  I finally though I understood! Hughesnet can't make it simple - like maybe every morning at 7 everyone starts a new day and a fresh allotment.   instead, they keep track of all this and you can access a table to see how much you are using per hour!  You can also access a link to see how much usage you have left for your DAY - whatever time it begins. So I am sitting at the computer, and I access this information table on the Hughesnet site, and I can see that I have almost run out of my daily usage and have 6% (27mb) left before I go into the FAP punishment phase.  Now, having been told that on 9/10/10 I used a token and therefore reset my allowance at 7pm that day EST and having not gone over since then- 7pm should be the time I get my full bandwidth allowance restored. It is now 9/22/10 and 6:35 pm and I have 6% usage remaining.  So I say to myself - no worries, it will reset at 7pm because that's the last time I used a restore token - so I won't need to buy a precious token - I'll just wait a bit. I go and do some chores, and come back to do my online college class, thinking it should now have at 7:45pm a new day's worth of 425mb allotment.   WRONG.  I sit and sit, and check and check and nothing is changing, my bandwidth is still going down.  So I call INDIA (Hughesnet tech support)and ask why is it not resetting.  They can't see my system they say, they don't know, they need to go consult someone....  Finally (after I prodded the tech into a state of exasperation by asking the simple question - AT WHAT TIME WILL MY ALLOWANCE RESET? - (repeatedly)  I get the reply of Ma'am your allowance does not automatically reset every 24 hrs.  We are on a ROLLING CLOCK system.  24 hours begins each time you enter a keystroke to access usage of the internet. If from the last keystroke you made you have gone over in any 24 hour timeframe, you will be subject to the Fair Access Policy restrictions. I tell the man I finally understand that this is a scheme, and that the word ROLLING 24 hr system is not mentioned in any statement on my contract or on their website. Further that at any given moment you can be subject to their punishment practices, and you never actually have a clearly defined 24hr daily usage period as per contract. Selling me a premium package so that I can have 425mb access per day is a complete farce, because Hughesnet does not have a 24/hr per day access to sell you. You could access Internet Explorer, walk away from the computer, leave it on but unattended and come back the next day to find yourself in FAP punishment mode, just because you left your computer on.  It's a complete money racket.  I could buy a higher priced Hughesnet service package, but 425mb is the max allotment even for the highest priced package they offer to homeowners.  Businesses who choose to by the $200+/mth package can get a few mb's more but it's all a mute point.  You basically are under surveillance, and the moment you go over they lock you out and if you want or need back online to turn in your work on time, or respond to a client's email, you WILL HAVE TO PAY!
Sep 14 2011
HughesNet Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!!!! Germantown, Maryland
Do not let anyone you love rent a HughesNet Internet dish.  They are fast talking, with a lot of false promises, then THREATS to ruin your credit.  They promised us High Speed Internet for $86.99 a month. LIE! They promised twenty-four hour technical support. LIE! They promised High Speed Internet.  Lie!  Lie! Lie! HughesNet will wheel you and deal you, then hit you with all sort of BIG BUCKS BILL that you supposedly owe them.  I called and set up installation time.  They sent me a email telling me that a certified professional has been assigned and he will install your HIGH SPEED Internet.  He would be contacting us within three days. True. Kevin  was the installer.  Very nice young man.  We were told by HughesNet to talk with the installer regarding additional installation charges that may apply based on our specific installation requirements.  Payment is do at the time of installation.  When the installation is complete, you will be billed the initial one-time fee and the first monthly service fee on your credit/debit card.  I was told get details of items included in installation see www.installguide.HugesNet.com.   Kevin gave me a blank INSTALLATION REFERENCE SHEET, one of seven.  There is no amount of money, my signature is not on this sheet (page1), Kevin's name - Date of installation 7/28/2011 - Time AM was all that is on it.  I never received a copy of pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  I had no company phone number, or mailing address. I only had Kevin's cell.  Called six times, NO RETURN phone calls. I couldn't stay connected to Internet or I would freeze up.  I wasn't having this problem with another company and I'm not having any problems with this new company.  MAGICALLY stopped when I disconnected HughesNet!  I had Kevin's cell number in case I had any problems.  He said to call him first, because the company uses East Indian representatives who barely speak English.   I called, left messages but no return CALLS.  Not ONE!  Then attempted to email HugesNet, but I was not able to stay connected to Internet.  Even attempting to get on the Internet took 10 to 15 minutes.  Oh I forgot, I was on High Speed!  When I wasn't being dumped off the Internet my keyboard would freeze.  It took almost a minute to unlock.  I couldn't get out of the site, I couldn't even disconnect.  That's right this is HIGH SPEED! I googled to get a phone number for HughesNet.  Well that was just as much fun.  I called four times before I finally got someone to answer the phone.  And then it went down hill from there.  The first person be it female or male I couldn't tell, couldn't understand me any better then I understood her/him. It was a miserable 10 minutes for both of us.  She transferred me to technical person.  OH MY! Again an East Indian with a horrible accent, every time I had to ask him to please repeat, he became very upset.  Talking even faster.  Then he tried to transfer me.  I knew then I was lost in no-mans-land.  First static then click, then 30 Minutes of click, static .  But no live person.  By then I was willing to talk to PEGGY. This was August 30,2011.  I went back to Internet, got through to aChat text line, Chelsy tried texting me.  But I kept freezing or got thrown off the Internet.  She got part of a message when I finally said I was canceling my account.   I received another email from DONOTREPLYHUGHESNET calling me Ms. Jakee or Jakee  I had asked them for a RAM Request number and mailing address to return their equipment.  They told me they would be sending a manual of instructions and a boxes with prepaid label.  But it would be any where from 15 to 21 days after cancellation of service,  to send this to me. August 3, 2011.  I received another HughesNet love note.  Again calling me MS. Jakee and beginning the paragraph with Jakee.  Well at least they spelled my correctly.  Telling me (Jakee) that they were glad to hear I wanted to return the product.  Oh please, it is a piece of garbage that is over priced to begin with. September1, 2011 they mailed out the KIT.  We got it September 6, 2011.  We disconnected everything on August 21, 2011.  In this Kit.  I received a nasty threatening letter.  Stating we needed to return the equipment to them within 21 days of the end of your final monthly billing cycle.  NO DATE or EXPLANATION of when the FINAL MONTHLY BILLING CYCLE begins or ends. If you fail to return the equipment to us within this period, we will charge your account ( and your previously provided credit card, if applicable) an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300.00.  HugesNet had already attempted to with draw this money, the bank called us. Both the modem and radio transmitter must be returned to avoid these fees.  If only the modem is returned, the amount of the fee will be$200.00.  If only the radio transmitter is returned the amount of the fee will be $100. Further, we remind you that failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies. We shipped their modem, radio, power supply, LAN cable.   By FEDEX September 7, 2011. They sent us Termination bill $335.54.  TERMINATION FEES $400.00, Rental Fees HughesNet Residential Rental (L)-PRORATED $-9.02, OTHER FEES Property Tax Surcharge- Prorated $-0.68, SERVICE FEES HughesNet Basic-Prorated $-54.18, Total Charge $336.12.  ADITIONAL PROPERTY TAXES MI State $-0.04, LEASE TAXES MI State $-0.54.  Issued August 31, 2011.
Jan 03 2013
Hughesnet Gen4 False advertising and deceptive practices, Internet
Beware of Hughesnet Gen 4 as they promise you the moon during the sales call but fail to deliver what they promise. Get all offers in writing for everything they promise before you give them a credit card or be prepaired to cancel the card when they refuse to live up to their promise. Waiting times are measure in hours to get through to anyone except the sales department. They have no concept of customer service. I still cannot log onto their customer portal and after 3.5 hours of waiting and being bounced around they gave up and said try again some other time!The bottom line is if your only ISP is dial up then carefully conside their product but expect to be riped-off for the service.
Feb 08 2013
Hughesnet Hughsnet charged my credit card $481.15 for free installation Internet
Hughsnet is a big ripoff do not give them your credit or debit card information. Here is what they have done to me so far ; I was told that by giving them my deit card it would only be used for credit information and not be charged except after installation which was supposed to be free and after installation it would be only for the first moths service of $59.99 plus tax. They also mentioned I could get a instant rebate of $200.00 thus costing me $200.00 should I decide to purchase the equipment and that If I decided to go that route which I didnt I could put it on another credit card not my debit card.I was told that by one of their local installers. The installer showed up Dec. 21 2012 installed the internet dish and by the way it was dark outside. It took them a whole 20 minutes and they just laid the cable on the ground and by the way the dish is pointed directly at my power line coming into the house which probably accounts for the lousy service. The installer had me sign saying this was to show he had installed the service and I asked him about my bill how do I pay and I asked and he said I would get a bill no money needed today and I thought how nice until on Dec 24th yes Christmas Eve and I had been shopping of course My Checking account went crazy and I saw this charge from Hughesnet for $481.15 I about had a stroke. I called them and the bank after Christmas holidays which were horrible by the way because of the turmoil Hughsnet caused me with my checking account. I called the bank cancelled my card and tried to get my money back but no luck. I called Hughsnet to cancel and was told that would cost over $400.00 and the person on the phone agreed that if I purchased the equipment the would give me the $200.00 instant credit I was promised which by the way is no such thing the instant credit is a rebate which must be sent off after your second billing statement. The instant credit turned into a charge not a credit and they have turned off my internet service and now want another $275.00 and some change ! Thank goodness I cancelled my debit card or they would have charged me another $275.00. I am not paying it ! They have even threatened collections so please avoid Hughsnet by the way the credit they gave me was supposed to give me 4 months of service free basically at $49.99 What a ripoff !! Buyer Beware !! That is a lot of money to pay for 30 days of internet service and was also a lure (lie) to keep me from cancelling before my thirty days
Mar 20 2013
HughesNet WORST COMPANY EVER--horrible customer service Internet
HughesNet has the worst customer service I have ever encountered; I have been trying for over 3 hours to cancel my accounts, and it is impossible to do so.  Call centers are in India, the Philippines, Texas....but you will always get routed to India eventually.  The calls are disconnected, dorpped, cut off, or you are placed on hold for 30+ minutes. Account managers in India use phony American names and some barely speak English (one couldn't read the account numbers and had to bring someone else over to do it).  It takes days of repeated calls to accomplish anything, and you get the same excuses every time.  My favorite is, I'll stay on the line with you and make sure you get to the proper person. Good luck with that--they are only allowed to stay on the line for 3 minutes and you will never get through in 3 minutes!!! And why are we cancelling our business service?  Very poor performance, slow service, bandwidth is not as offered, very high cost for poor servce provided, and.....the worst customer service I have ever encountered.  My business would go under in a matter of weeks if I treated customers the way HughesNet does.  IMO, this company should have their license revoked.
Mar 11 2013
HughesNet Fraudulent charge to my checking account Germantown, Maryland
I ordered service through hughes in 2007. To start off with they are way overpriced and slow as hades.  I paid 120.00 a month for two years, the regular price was 80.00 but they made me pay for my equipment for the first two years. I have moved 3 times and Hughes charged me 325.00 each time. That in itself is outrageous. Anyway, I decided to go with a local company for internet in December of 2012, and cancelled my service with hughes. They told me that I had to send my equipment back to them, because I had leased it. BULL!! so I argued with them and they said ok, I see where you purchased the equipment. and I thought that was the end of it. NOT! On March 6, 2013 they billed my checking account for 319.50 for the equipment. So back on the phone for hours to argue that I had PURCHASED my equipment and I wanted the money back in my account, cause there was no way I was going to pay twice for my equipment. They finally relented after about three hours and said it would be back in my account in three days, and to call back in three days. As of today, 3 days later, I have still not received my money, so back on the phone I go...now they are telling me 7 business days before I get it back in my account and in the meantime, I am going to bounce all over the place and cannot pay a couple of my bills, so now a late charge for them as well!! It sure didn't take them 7 business days to charge my account, why does it take 7 days to put it back? This is the 21st century by God! How do people go about a class action lawsuit?
Mar 30 2009
HughesNet Ridiculous $300 Early Termination Fee Chicago Illinois
Last March, I spent $500 to get HughesNet satellite internet, because there was no cable or dsl in my area at the time. I continued spending $70/month + $5/month invoice fee for 1Mbps/200kpbs upstream speed internet that is slower than cable, dsl, and stops working after using only 375MB of bandwith in a 1-2 day period. Now I have Verizon DSL available, which provides FASTER service for only $17.99/month, with only $59 of upfront cost, instead of $500 like those bastards at Hughesnet, and no 375MB download threshold. I called up Hughesnet to cancel, and they told me there would be a $300 early termination fee!! Don't you read contracts before you sign them sir? was what the snotty Hughesnet phone rep snapped at me. Now if they had given me free installation, or a free satellite dish, I could understand they might want to make their money back if I cancelled within a year or two. But I spent $500 on install/dish fees, I've spent over $800 on their crappy service for 1 whole year, and they still want another $300 for canceling before two years of service! Do yourself a favor and do not deal with these crooks. Wait for DSL or cable internet and you will not get raped by the Hughesnet bastards. Oliver colrain, MassachusettsU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois, Internet
Apr 18 2009
Hughesnet no bandwidth, no upload speed Chicago Illinois
i have had hughesnet for almost 2 years ,ive lousy internet ever since we got it, every day around 4 oclock you lose all speed,ive called tech about 100 times for all the good it did me, i still have no internet,is anybody else having this problem.its just a ripoff James marion, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Chicago, Illinois
May 15 2009
Hughesnet Blocked My Quilting Website Germantown Maryland
Very simple, Hughesnet has blocked or provides poor connection to my WebSite http://www.allourquilts.com We are a small website dedicated to quilters. We have a loyal following of around 20 users. We are hosted on ANHosting (MidPhase) and it appears that this is a complete issue with Midphase. The issue is easily fixed, but Hughesnet seems to be throttling their connections to certain services over others. The way they did this was to provide an unreliable internet path that would drop packets and corrupt the httpd process. This would lead to 501 errors. Hughesnet will undoubtedly point their finger to my hosting company, and my hosting company will point the finger to Hughesnet. Hughesnet provides NO access to ANY support. In fact the individual at technical support would only help me if I had an account with Hughesnet. The Tech support guy did let it slip that the traceroute to my site was one given to sites they feel didn't deserve there resources. The Tech support person also acknowledged that he too could not get access to my site. My users are Quilters yet they have been able to provide Traceroutes and IP addresses. After jumping through hoops, MidPhase acknowledged that they new about the problem way before I submitted my issue. MidPhase then had me go through over 80 emails to come to the conclusions they did. At that time I already knew what the problem was (I am a Management Information Specialist). I must admit that the time it took MidPhase to come to the expected conclusion they did was discouraging. It seemed to be an attempt to snow ball this issue by pressing my users to not provide the information they requested. Unfortunately no one messes with Quilters, and these Women would not sit down and take it. Fortunately I just humored them, I already had the proof I needed to single out Hughesnet as the culprit. I welcome an resolution that will allow my users to access the website. Mike Rochester, New YorkU.S.A.
98, Report #701954
Mar 02 2011
Hughesnet do not pay for this service Internet
As I speak, I am waiting for a download from facebook, just after I paid five dollars to get more download time.  I have been played for a fool again.  Hughes net is verrrrryyyy slow period and do not help when you call to find out why..  They just want more money.  Be verrrrryy careful.
May 03 2011
Hughesnet They must all be in India Internet
I also got taken by hughesnet. We don't have anything else where I live. We barely have cell service and can't get any help with that unless we are willing to pay for upgrades. I called Hughesnet to complain and wanted to talk to a cutomer service person and there is no way to get to anyone. I Kept getting sent to India. I told them I wanted to talk to someone in the United States and they told me I was talking to someone in Tech service in India and that there is no way to transfer me to anyone in America. I told them again that I wanted to be transfered back to customer service in America and he said there was no way he could do it. I Said with all this technoligy there is no way to transfer me bact to the States, he said thats right. I was so mad I hung up and called back and tried a different extention ( to change my service). I figured that would get me customer service in the states. When the person answered. He said his name was Kevin. I asked him where he was. He said India. I tried every way to get someone in the states and only got someone in India. Is that where this company located. If so that is probably why the service is so bad. I can't even get faster service since it got to the 200mb or whatever at least 2/3 months ago. That's when I found out about that FAP or what ever it is. All I know is when I first got the service 13 months ago I didn't have this problem.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Aug 12 2011
Hughesnet internet service Lousy internet service Internet
  I started using Hughesnet in November and have regretted it since.  When I ordered the service I was not informed of many things that are possible to go wrong.   1) the expense is more than advertised. You have limited bandwidth (access) to the internet and if you go over your daily allowance, you have to buy tokens to get more, this added as much as $40 dollars a month to my bill. I have ran out of bandwidth checking my e-mail, as with most homes there are 4 users in my house. In the 10 months I had this service it has cost me over $1300, counting purchasing the equipment ($300).   2) The customer support is less than bad. On 3 seperate occassions I tried to change my mailing address from a P.O. box to  my street address. It never took.   3) The service is affected by ANY   weather change.  I have had dish and direct tv(both sattelite, and I never have had the problems with these services.  Heavy rain, heavy and even light cloud cover and most recently the heat can interupt the service. Even on clear days it will drop a server and lose your service .   4) I was told on several occasions that the problem was in my computer, I have switched to ATT and can honestly say, it is not my computer!                                                                             5) The customer service is totally lacking, I was given upgrades and discounts to try to 'make it work' to no avail.  After trying to make this work by working with Hughesnet, I was informed that I would have to pay another $295 for early cancellation. Are you kidding me?!?!?    I have NEVER been more unhappy with a service like this, and I have told the company that in light of my patience (I have no more with them) I don't believe I should have to pay this fee.  Then they have the nerve to tell me if I remove the dish and send it and the modem back at my expense, I will only owe them $16.01!!! Are you kidding me?!?   I would try very hard to dissuade anybody from using this service, dail-up is faster and cheaper.
Entity: Internet, Internet