WACHOVIA BANK Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: Wachovia Bank

There may be more reports for "Wachovia Bank"

For more results perform a general search for "Wachovia Bank"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

May 23 2008
Wachovia Bank Wachovia Bank charges Overdraft Fees before the actual charges are posted Cypress California
I was shocked to find $100 overdraft fee and another $60 overdraft fee and yet, there was no way of telling why when all the balance was positive. The customer service could not explain to me why then put me on hold for awhile then got back to me and explained. I was in shock of such dirty practice. I decided to check Ripoff Report and found 424 reports against Wachovia and many were about this overdraft fee. All those posted reports are true statements. Shocking!!! Yeon Cypress, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
Dec 29 2006
Wachovia Bank Wachovia Bank ripoff over stop payments requests Innsdale Virginia
I applied thru Wachovia to have two stop payments applied to my acct. The bank allowed the payments to go thru and created a overdraft on my acct equalling $800.00 ! When I last contacted them the bank now says they do not show where I applied for the stop payments in their records!! They are now expecting me to replace the $800.00! They honored all my bills that came thru while adding NSF fees causing my acct. to show this huge overdraft!!I have copies of all my transactions on my acct. and they clearly show the stop payments!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Connie Richmond, KentuckyU.S.A.
Entity: Innsdale, Virginia
28, Report #332081
May 12 2008
Wachovia Bank Wachovia is the worse bank.... They will rip you off Atlanta Georgia
Wachovia not only has the worse customer service i have ever came across in my 20+ years of banking, they will rip you off and laugh in your face LITERALLY !!! I was just charge $175 dollar in overdraft fee's.... They even charged me fees on 2 items that they already place a hold on the money. Basically, I made 2 separate purchases on the 7th using my check card. ONce i made those purchase they placed a hold on my account removing the the price for each purchase from my available balance. AFter doing that they claimed i didnt have enough money in my account to cover 3 purchases I had made prior, that overdrew my account and they charged me 3 overdrafts fees at $35 a pop. THEN, the removed the hold from the from 2 transactions, put that money back into my account (why i have no clue) then re-posted the 2 transactions again. This time posting them on a account that was overdrawn DUE TO THE 2 TRANSACTION I DID ON THE 7TH THAT THEY HAD ALREADY PLACED A HOLD ON THE MONEY.... and charged me 2 additional overdrafts... What??? Dosent make sense..... I spoke to 3 people who all. The first person said i was playing with words.... then second person laughed apparently im an idiot and the third person, A manager mind you, just listened and said yes your right. I asked him how could you possible do that legally and he just held the phone. Is there anything that can be done? Is anyone monitoring these banking institutes. I am not the only victim to Wachovia!!!! Sunshine atlanta, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Atlanta, Georgia
Jan 09 2009
Wachovia Bank ,Wachovia Bank stealing from their customers Huntington, New York
Wachovia bank's say their policy on paying items is they pay the highest to lowest, and if the customer do not have enough funds for the other items they will charge a one time fee of $35.00 fee. But it is not so. I started off with a big amount in my account which they give me the crown account that allows me to save on charges, which I also had a overdraft with my savings link to my checking. Even though I had that I was still charged fees and they always find some excuse to tell you which is always something different. I took out most of my money and left two account open because they were stealing my money. I left my checking account and way-2-save account open and kept a small amount in the account. I depoisted a cash amount to my account and the account was not updated until three days later my husband tried taking money out. When I check my account online it never showed the deposit that I made. When I called them they told me that no deposit was made and I even give them my receipt numbers and the date, time and still it was not shown. They said that I had to call the bank the next morning because I made the call 10 p.m. Next morning I called the bank and they said that the money was always their. When I argued with them they said it was there ,but it was not showing up. The bank said it is there, when I call the service they said it was not there and I saw the online and it was not there and I ended up with overdraft fees because I had closed out my saving account, now I did not have any form of money taking over what I had purchase. On top of that they did not want to refund my money back and they kept having me go back and forth even though it was not my fault. Finally I was going to close the acccount off, but again talk me into staying, but had in for me. I have charge overdraft fees for items I should not have when I had money in the account, but charged overdrafted fees. I have been charged overdrafted fees on top of overdrafted fees. What they told me in the beginning about the larger fee being paid is not so. What ever comes in for that day and if you mis calculate with one small item, all items is charged. All the item for day is total and if you do not have enough to cover all the items every single item is charged. Debbie Central Islip, New YorkU.S.A.
Entity: Huntington, New York
May 26 2008
Wachovia Bank Went Bankrupt--Wachovia Repeatedly Depleted My Account with NSF Fees District Heights Maryland
First opened my account in January 2008, things went fine for a couple of months and then around April, I was charged with NSF fees for ATM withdrawals, and debit transactions that were not deducted immediately as shown on my register when I call in. I am one that check my balance constantly. These transactions are held for days until other larger bills come through and you think that the money is there but it's really not somehow and then I occur 5 to 6 NSF fees for each ATM withdrawal and each time I used my check card or debit. This happened in a series of 5 times or so until I finally gathered enough sense to close my account. I have paid over $646.00 in fees from April until May. I managed my account well in the beginning and all of a sudden it seems like after a few months of monitoring by someone in the bank, I was a target to make money off of excessive fees. Of course like everyone else has complained, when you call them the customer service reps feed you the same old lines about please don't go by your register just budget your checkbook, like I don't know how to do this for the last 25 years, but something is seriously wrong with their banking practices. The customer service reps are well trained and they all say the same thing and there is no kind of concern for a customer in distress. I am now forced to file bankruptcy because of the NSF fees over and over again. I called several times to try to get them to refund some of the fees, but no justice. Please don't be a fool to these guys, get out while you can. I can finally sleep better because this nightmare is finally over. Shelly Capitol Heights, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: District Heights, Maryland
Jan 13 2007
Wachovia Bank Wachovia charged $240 for $21 is bouncing fees Ripoff Rosedale Maryland
My girfriend took out 3 small amounts in a day amounting to a total putting the account $21 overdrawn. We got a letter a week later saying we owed wachovia 30 for the first time, 60 for the second, and 90 for the third adding up to a total of $201 including what she overdrew. I was outraged and refused to pay that amount because it was wrong. They tacked on another $60 for late fees of not paying so then it was up to $261 for 3 overdrafts to total $21. We made agreement with a manager to pay $121 which i paid and the account was supposed to be clear. Now the sent it to collections because they want the rest of their bogus bill even after the manager had seen it was an error Rob elkton, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: Rosedale, Maryland
Oct 29 2007
Wachovia Bank Wachovia - Stealing from consumers with unfounded NSF charges Tampa Florida
Wachovia is the biggest bunch of thieves the industry has ever seen. I received Overdraft notifications totalling $245 which I knew could not be accurate. I pulled up my online statement immediately and matched up the purchases they were charging me $35 each in overdraft fees for - each transaction showed that it was presented against a positive balance, then at the end of the day - still with a positive balance - Wachovia charged me $245 in Overdraft charges. I called them to correct their mistake, and after spending over one hour on the phone with five different employees, the end result was that they will not refund my money. They say that even though the online statement shows that the money was in my account to cover all outstanding transactions, it really WASN'T there - but they couldn't explain to me HOW that was possible. I am filing complaints with the BBB and FTC and if they still refuse to budge, I will be filing a small claims case with my statement as documentation that they are thieves. DO NOT OPEN ANY ACCOUNTS AT WACHOVIA - AND IF YOU ARE A CURRENT CUSTOMER BEWARE! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO ANY OTHER BANK BEFORE THEY STEAL FROM YOU! Wachovia Victim Tampa, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Tampa, Florida
Mar 06 2008
Wachovia Bank, N.A. Wachovia Charged Me Twice Treated Me Poorly. San Gabriel California
I was charged a fees of $221.5 for a second time. After I had already paid this amount over the phone with a credit card. Company has poor communication within itself. I wasted a whole day trying to get the branch manager Alex to understand my case, unsuccessfully. I went back a second day spoke with Karla R. she was able to understand my issue and was willing to help resolve it, she herself also experienced a hard time over the phone with her company and branch manager explaining my case. That I would not have gone into the negative had I not been double charged by bank. Which was a bank error. Secound issue I have had with this bank. I want an apology from bank and local branch regarding this issue. Which was there mistake. I was treated poorly by there branch manager to be Alex. And over the phone. No one would listen to my issue except Karla R. I want my money refunded back to my account ASAP. I also will tell everyone I know to stick with there current bank and dont go with Wachovia, because you guys are horrible. I gave you two chances and was given nothing but headaches. This bank does not care about its customers. Company charged my bank account fees that I had already been paid for. Horrible customer service on the phone and by bank manager. Peter Duarte, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: San Gabriel, California
Dec 27 2008
Wachovia Bank Wachovia overdraft fees a ripoff Atlanta Lawrenceville Georgia
I too was ripped off by Wachovia bank. I had the same problems as everyone else with the overdraft fees. It gotten so bad with wachovia for a month I received none of my paychecks and they kept saying the merchants was holding my money and sending it thru when I have subtracted the monies from my account. At this time I still owe wachovia overdraft fees and have been fighting with them to refund me over 1200 of my money but they stated I was a new customer and they will not refund me my money even though it was there error. Please dont bank at wachovia they will rip you off royally. Shonda Lawrenceville, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Lawrenceville, Georgia
Dec 04 2008
Wachovia Bank Class Action Lawsuit, I am in! Wachovia Got Me too Like Everyone Else Dallas Texas
I like everyone else got nailed by Wachovia and their overdraft fees! I use a number of different banks and Wachovia was one that I did not use very often. I decided to start using this account and had a mix up in a deposit that went to the wrong bank account. I over drafted my Wachovia account by just change and would have gladly deposited or transferred some money to this account, but wait....because I had some other purchases out there they decided to ding me with overdraft fees for all of them. The charges had not even came out of pending and I was charged overdraft fees. It was unreal how I received no help from their uneducated customer service reps. before all this happened I was considering transferring my other accounts to Wachovia. I am so glad that I did not do that based on the shady business practices I have seen thus far. This is the first time I have ever had an overdraft fee in my life and it was a simple mistake, don't even worry about trying to explain that to this shady bank because they don't care. This was a terrible exp. and I am so happy that this bank crumbled in the financial down turn (not sure how that happened with all the money they have stolen from people) this is a terrible bank! STAY AWAY! Kcbrinkman Corinth, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Dallas, Texas
Jan 24 2010
Wachovia Corporation, Wachovia Bank, N.A. Charging fees for personal finance software when asked to cancel a year ago. Internet
For 12 months, I have been charged a $5.95 fee imposed by my bank for personal finance software. In February 2009, I called to ask about the first fee. It was explained that the fee was imposed because I used Quicken to access my online banking records. I was told that my 3-month trial was expired and the fees were automatically imposed now. I instructed to CANCEL the service. I told them that I did not like my personal finance software and am not using it. I thought that was the end of it. I was not given a confirmation number. It was not until July 2009 that I noticed the fees again. I reviewed my March-June statements online and noticed that I was still and had been still charged. I called again and the rep told explained the fee again. I informed him that I understood why the fee exists, but that it should have been canceled in February. At this point, I did not even think of asking for a refund, I just assumed it would be done with. Again, in September 2009 I noticed the fees. I called and spoke to a lady why told me that I needed to prove I had canceled with a letter or confirmation number. I was told there was nothing that could be done. Again, I asked for the fees to stop. In December 2009 I stopped using the account and recently in January 2010 I closed the account. During the call to close the account, the rep asked why I was leaving the bank. I explained it to him and asked if something could be done and he replied that he was sorry that I'm not satisfied with Wachovia. Today, I decided not to let it go and called Wachovia. The rep tells me that on the back of the statement, there is a 90day discrepancy dispute procedure. She tells me she could refund the last 3 months fees, but cant because the account is closed. I was never told that I had the option to dispute the charges before today. Having asked multiple times to cancel, I asked Wachovia to refund the past 12 months' fees. I was told it was not an option. Wachovia's records indicate that I enrolled on 10/15/08. My Quicken software shows that the last access to Wachovia using the program, was 10/18/08 Why would I pay for something I can prove I have not used in over a year?
Entity: , Internet
Aug 02 2009
Wachovia Dealer Services, Wachovia Bank, N.A. Harassing Phone Calls Winterville North Carolina
I purchased a car and Wachovia Dealer Services picked up my loan. For 3 years the amount due was auto-deducted from my checking account, no issues. Then I had to change my bank account information and that is when things got interesting. This branch of Wachovia did not offer payments online and it took a day just to find the correct customer service number to call. When I finally got the right folks on the phone to make a payment and change the account information, they said that they were charging me a $25 late fee plus an over the phone payment fee. I told them that the month prior my payment had deducted on this day but they said that was because it was a weekend and therefore the payment date had changed. They wouldn't budge on the late charge (according to them I was ONE day late on payment and that was the policy). That put a bad taste in my mouth. Fast forward to a few months after when I had a family emergency and had to be a few weeks late with payment (the first time really late in over 3 years). In fact, I had been such a good customer that I had even made a few extra payments and therefore was only late for $160. After a few days of being late I started receiving payment due notices in the mail. Then after a couple more days they started calling my home phone 10-13 times a day and being quite rude in their communications, saying things like, When you miss a payment date the calls from us start. I had told them that I knew that I was late and would make the new payment due by the next due date according to my new statement received. The customer service lady kept going on and on with sarcastic rudeness and I eventually had to hang up on her. They kept calling 10-13 times a day... I have an outstanding credit rating and that was the first time I was really late on a payment to them in over three years and I was treated very poorly after being a good customer. As I had stated to them on the phone, I paid what was due, late fees included, BEFORE my next payment was due (as listed on my new statement received). Now that the harassing calls have stopped I have made it my mission to find another provider that I can transfer this account to so that Wachovia Dealer stops making money off of me. I will never use their services again. Buyer beware! These guys are rude and will harass you very quickly!! Also, what loan provider doesn't offer an option to conveniently pay online? My advice - stay far, far away, they treat their long-time customers like garbage, esp. during emergencies when that's the last thing you need to add to your stress. Anonymous, Wachovia customer (soon to be previous) Indianapolis, IndianaU.S.A.
Entity: Winterville, North Carolina
Mar 24 2005
Southtrust Bank - Wachovia Bank ripoff deceptive practices Red Oak Texas
My wife and I have been banking with Southrust since 5 years. I will admit we have had our fair share or trouble maintaining our checkbook at times, my problems stem from them first wanting to hold our deposits which in turn causes more NSF fees to just flat out not owning up to their own mistakes. Good example; we made a deposit on 3/15/2005 of $400 cash but because they had a line in their system go down that day our deposit was not posted and since it was deposited after 2:00 pm that day it was the following thursday before I was able to see that it was not there. We contacted the district manager Mark for help. He was very helpful on Friday 3-18-2005 to make sure they found the deposit and to assure me that they would take care of any fees that had resulted from THEIR mistake. We thought all was well until thursday 24,2005. I found out that one of our checks had been returned as a result of this. The merchant charged me $25 for the returned check. I again called Mark only to find his demeanor had completely changed toward us. He told me he felt like he had done enough for us and that he would not refund that charge back to us. After arguing and pleading my case for 10 minutes he finally agreed to reimburse us for the charge but told me that we would have to close our account down by the 15th of April. I have never been so mad in all my life. If I make a mistake they expect me to remedy the problem immediately and penalize me for making the mistake. They make a mistake and then just decide they can no longer keep my account open. They are the biggest ripp-off artist in the banking industry Jeff red oak, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Red Oak, Texas
Jul 21 2008
Wachovia is a Bank that doesn't stand behind its promises! Internet
I had a bill set up to be paid automatically out of my checking account. All was good for 1 1/2 years. Then, in May, they took out more than the Bill said was due and it overdrafted my account ($27/$97). I called Customer Service and the lady that was helping me was very nice. She told me all I had to do was set up a Stop Payment for $30 and it would be good for 6 months. So, I did that, said good bye and felt all warm and fuzzy and safe inside. June went by with no problems. July comes and I checked my balance and found that I was overdrawn again. There was a charge by the company I had put a stop payment on with my bank - and the bank paid it!!! I immediately went to the branch in my hometown. The person that helped me there refunded my over draft fees ($175) and told me that she would submit a complaint about the stop payment being paid in the amount of $152.84. She also told me not to believe anything I was told by Customer Service, which I thought was odd...... Last week I was contacted by an 800# from my bank. They said I was overdrawn and when was I going to take care of it. I told the girl on the phone my story, she said, Oh, i will get in touch with someone immediately and have that taken care of right away. Today, my phone rang again from an 800#. it was Wachovia. I thought they were calling me to tell me they had it all taken care of and all was well....not the case at all. It was a new girl. I explained to her the same thing I explained to the girl last week and added that I was told it would be taken care of. The girl on the phone today said she didn't know why that girl told me that, I have to call customer service myself to take care of that. She connected me. I told my story again to someone who sounded like she just came off her shift being the warden at the state penitentiary (not nice). She proceeded to tell me that I had to talk to the 'Dispute Team' and connected me. I talked to someone named Ali (at this point I figured I had better start asking for names). Ali told me that I had to fill out an Affidavit form, available at any branch. I will take care of that tomorrow. I will update this complaint if anything else comes from it. I do not have much faith at this time...... by the way, the company that ripped me off in the first place was Imagine Master Card......don't trust them either! I love this website! Calibama Hanceville, AlabamaU.S.A.
Entity: Internet
Sep 04 2008
Wachovia Bank NSF FEES OUT OF CONTROL; BANK ACCOUNT NOW CLOSED Charlotte North Carolina
I see that a lot of folks have NSF fee rip-off reports. Mine started in June. Because I had other financial issues going on, my account was where my paycheck went. I had already paid these folks close to $2,000 in NSF fees over the course of several months, you think items have been paid but they have not. As of June, they have racked up over $1400 in NSF fees for items they DID NOT pay, but because some company sent a charge in, they want me to pay for all the fees and deductions they DID NOT PAY. Why the H.E.double hockey sticks do they try and make you pay for something they did not pay???? I can see if they paid the item and then charged you the NSF fee, but since June, I had to redirect my payroll; they have been calling me and I know they want me to make this account right. I cannot afford to pay them for all these fees. I'd be sitting out on the street. Is it really legal for them to charge you for something they did not pay in the first place. The account has now been closed, because it was a joint account it now affect me and my significant other's credit reports. If someone out there can help me with this, PLEASE contact me ASAP. Norma Oxon Hill, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: Charlotte, North Carolina
Jan 05 2010
Wachovia Bank - Wells Fargo Bank Stealing Funds From Customers & NO PERSONAL SERVICE Internet
DO NOT BANK WITH WACHOVIA BANK/WELLS FARGO BANK Wachovia Bank does not provide personal service anymore. The manager can not credit a customer for the high fees they charge, instead you have to contact the very rude customer service dept. The mangers and financial representative at the branch have no authorization to service their customers. Regardless to how long you have been a customers and your standing they cannot help you. All business is by the 800 non personal customer service dept and they do not care. After three years of service I have closed all my accounts with Wachovia because they charged me fees of $66.00 and refused to credit them. They charge me $22.00 for a $5.00 charge. They could have denied the charge, but decided to steal my funds instead. I have never had any problem with them before, but now Wells Fargo is responsible. The bank mangers use to be able to service you at the branch, but now they cannot do anything for a customer. The bank employees have no authority and these people have degrees. The personal service is gone, the bank is stealing funds and they are allowing the customer service representative to make major decisions about which accounts are important. Thus, they will soon have no deposits, no accounts, no customers and the customer service people can go stand in the unemployment line.
Entity: , Internet
Sep 12 2005
Wachovia Bank ripoff BOGUS NSF FEES ON PREVIOUSLY HELD FUNDS! Pompano Beach Florida
This is not the first time we have become overdrawn. We live on a tight budget I am afraid and sometimes this happens. Wachovia has had more than enough money out of me for me to have had my son's braces completely finished. This last incident, I cannot overlook. We had around $1,200 in check card cahrges which were held on 9/1 & 9/2 ($1,000 to the orthodontist by the way). We had the funds to cover these when they were presented to the bank -- no problem at all. So far as I understand, they were aware of these charges and they no longer made the funds available to me; therefore, if not cleared, they could be construed that way by any sane individual. Alas, not the loan sharks at Wachovia! They want their cake and to eat it too. On 9/6 a more recent check for $159 clears the bank (BEFORE 7 smaller held funds charges) and for my grave sin of being overdrawn by about $120 they hit me 7 x $30 = $210!! Not only that, but since they charged me $210 (instead of the $30 which in my opinion s/h/b the case) they caused us to go into a hole I cannot dig out of until I am next paid on the 15th. God knows how many little things will bounce, and bounce again on the second attempt (like two checks for $4.33 each for my kid's life insurance, CHA-CHING $120! (2 attemps each) or the $23.95 fee for AOl, CHA-CHING! $60 more... you get the idea. Now we are $480 overdrawn and I still have to wait until the 15th to get paid. My husband (who is self employed, meanwhile is depositing a few hundred here and there as he get checks, but SWOOSH they are getting sucked up by fees. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT NEEDED. The time is now. With gas at $3.00 a gallon we can scarce afford to have a month's mortgage payment go to these unscrupulous blood suckers for what is in reality a very small overdraft (if you strip away their BS fees.) How long will we have to be subjected to this out and out piracy , in the name of God, before someone calles these monsters to task? Please help. Thanks for your patience with my rantings. THose of you who have never bounced a check and have no problems like these, God bless you. All I can tell you is that the price is way too high and the fees cause more of an overdraft making it MUCH, MUCH worse than any small amount you may have overdrawn the account. I have been so cash poor that I have had to chose between losing car insurance and floating a check (did I ASK for the hurricane to knock down my tree limb and cost us $350 to have sawed down?) The bankers get richer and everyone shoves it under the rug because we should have been able to balance our check book it is an awful predatory form of price gouging to those who can least afford it. Bless those of you who have not fallen short of cash and never experienced the outrage of 20 hours work going to pay bank fees for some nominal amount of overdraft. What ever happened to usury laws? Thanks again for your time. Sheila Pompano Beach, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Pompano Beach, Florida
Oct 10 2005
Wachovia Bank ripoff, fraudulent fees, charging fees when money is there Seaside Florida
Wachovia Bank charged me numerous fees that lead to being $506.00 overdrawn. Even though I only owed them $336.00. I tried to work this out with them and was told I was wrong, so I closed the account. A collection guy started calling and tried to make a deal saying if I paid him $350 he could stop calling, meanwhile they put this on my credit report. It has been almost 2 years since and I still have not paid them, and I won't until they send me a check for the fees and take it off my credit report. They refuseto fix the problem and even altered my bank records to make it look like the fees were supposed to be there. But I had printed out records before they altered them and I have proof. Wachovia is a bunch of a$$hole$. Jessi dfs, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Seaside, Florida
Sep 15 2005
Wachovia Bank Holding of Cash Deposits Resulting in Fraudulent NSF Fees ripoff Augusta Georgia
I am just floored at the way Wachovia Bank does business. It is immoral and unethical! This started a month ago when I deposited a money order for $550.00. What I didn't know is that they put a 10-day hold on it because (according to them and their excuse) it was an International money order. In my book, a money order is the same as cash. And the person owing me the money purchased this International money order just down the street at another local bank. That's not very International to me. Once I realized on day 2 that the funds (deposit) weren't there, I called to question. Long story short, it took me personally visiting the branch on a daily basis for nearly a week to get this solved. And I might add that it took them another 3 times of saying We refunded the NSF fees as well. before they were actually refunded. For the past 3 weeks we have been dealing with an endless circus of deposits and NSF fees. This is where it gets really interesting! On the phone with one of the branch VP's, I quote her as saying You may make a cash deposit before 2PM, but that does not mean those funds will be used for the transactions coming in on that day. WHAT? I didn't realize they had the authority to designate when and where my money is allocated. When I questioned that how come I can make a cash deposit and then go straight home and see the deposit posted on my online account, she stated When you make a cash deposit, it may show up online on your online account, but it's not in our system yet. Yea that makes a lot of sense. If it's not in their system, how is it possible that it's on their online banking system for me to view on my computer? This week I have made (2) $250 cash deposits as well as a $58 check deposit all made on separate days. You know everyday we have been hit with NSF fees? In my opinion, the only thing that Wachovia Bank could possibly be doing is stealing money from hard working folks like you and I. I also quote this same VP as saying I get 50-60 of these complaints on a weekly basis. That is an awful lot! Please keep in mind that these are coming from people who pay attention to their account. How many more are out there that don't keep such a close eye on their account? That's a scary thought. We have 3 local television stations here that will each be getting an email from me as well as a link to this website to investigate. I will also be contacting the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. We also have a section in the local newspaper that would be a perfect fit. I encourage everyone to send his or her complaints to anyone that may have clout to get something done about this! This needs to end! Matt and Tonia Evans, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Augusta, Georgia
Aug 06 2007
Wachovia Bank Formerly First Union Abuses overdraft fees against cash deposits ripoff Savannah Georgia
Since Wachovia bought out First Union, I am continually hit with $35 overdraft fees on a regular basis. In June, a restaurant errantly charge $118 to my account instead of $11.80. Checking online, I found the error immediately and transfered cash from savings to the checking. I then contacted Wachovia and the restaurant immediately. Wachovia still hit me with two $35 overdraft fees although they could see the restaurant corrected the error. I spoke with several Wachovia representative, but the charges were never reverse. The restaurant reimbursed for the fees. Last week I made a $400 cash deposit in the morning, then made a payment to my cable company. Today I find Wachovia returned my cable payment and hit me with a $35 overdraft fee. Asking around I found several people who have since closed accounts with Wachovia because of Wachovia's overdraft abuse. A fellow employee said he closed his account after making a $600 cash deposit on Friday, but Wachovia did not post it until Tuesday. He was hit with a total of $105 dollars worth of fees for using his debit card over the weekend. My daughter says she closed her account after being hit with close to $200 dollars worth of fees, even though most were reversed she had to fight Wachovia constantly. When she went to open her new account at the other bank, they were quite please and friendly. They told her they get quite a few new customers from Wachovia. If anyone is sponsoring a class action lawsuit against please let me know. I have plenty of names to add. First Union used to be customer friendly, but since Wachovia's buy outm the bank is known as Walk-All-Over Bank. I am closing my account this week and going back to a more customer friendly bank. Mary E Savannah, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Savannah, Georgia
Aug 03 2007
Wachovia Bank Charged suspicious overdraft fee Ripoff Springfield New Jersey
I have been a customer of Wachovia Bank for many years, originally having started the account as First Union. I have been rather annoyed at them in the past, but nothing compares with the contempt I feel about the company today. While reviewing my last statement I found that I had accidentally overdrafted my account. There were two overdraft fees of $35.00. To find out what went wrong I re-calculated the transactions as seen below: 7-09 Cash Deposit $120.00 $120.49 7-11 Purchase $52.91 $67.58 7-13 Purchase (actual date of purchase 7-12) $14.99 $52.59 7-13 Purchase (actual date of purchase 7-12) $6.09 $46.50 7-13 OVERDRAFT FEE $35.00 $11.50 7-16 Purchase (actual date of purchase 7-12) $47.16 $-35.66 7-16 OVERDRAFT FEE $35.00 $-70.66 I realized that I had overdrafted by $0.66, but I could not understand the reason I was charged two overdraft fees, and I was panicked as to why a $0.66 overdraft now had my account at -$70.66. I went to the bank to ask why the error occured. The woman helping me was treating me as if I was not worth her time. She looked up my account on the computer and after a long time presented me with the fact that after my purchase on the 11th a hold had been placed on the rest of the available balance in my account. After I explained my reasoning that the deposit had been made in cash, and the fact that I would have had no knowledge of a hold on my account at the time, assuming that all was in order, how could I be held responsible for the first overdraft charge? After some stubbornness on both sides, she agreed to repost the $35.00 back to my account. Even though I had gotten what I wanted, the more I thought about the situation the more angry I became. I felt betrayed that the institution I had put my trust, was in fact, under the law, stealing from me. By using holds they could manipulate at any time to cause my account to become overdrafted, and it is somehow legal for them to do so. And furthermore, they made me feel as if I was somehow irresponsible. But how irresponsible is it to place a hold on an account without informing the customer, and then keep letting them make charges on a held account, only to further rack up more overdraft fees? Holds on accounts don't seem to make any sense. They protect the bank, not the customer. A true hold should be designed to stop the account holder from further withdrawing their account, in which case it does not, it lets them keep spending, unknowing of any hold, and only hits them with fees afterwards. The law needs to be changed, in order to protect account holders, not banks. They are in effect, robbing us, all under the law. Though I was able to fix this situation, it should never have occured. And now I feel afraid and angry for the rest of Wachovia's customers, who may have had the same thing done to them. I still have not had the $35.00 reappear in my account, but when it does I plan to never trust Wachovia again, and will be closing my account for good. Hinkypunk Springfield, New JerseyU.S.A.
Entity: Springfield, New Jersey
Feb 01 2008
Wachovia Bank holding a cash deposit Drexel Hill Pennsylvania
my husband went into the bank on a thursday morning and filled out a savings withdraw slip for $500.00, and he also filled out a checking deposit slip for $400.00. He was making a cash transfer. he went up to the teller and gave her the slips, she gave him $100.00 cash and a deposit slip for the $400.00 that he deposited into our checking account. i went online to make sure the money was deposited into our account, it wasn't there. I called the bank and talked to the branch manager. I explained what happen (which i thought was a mistake on their end and could be fixed). he told me that it went in as a check deposit. i said that it was cash and it should go in as cash. he said that it was not a cash desposit and it would be availaible for me the next day. I withdrew cash from my saving and desposited cash into my checking acct. they would not put it in as cash, they said it was not cash. i don't understand how they can do that. they sat on my deposit for and collected interest. i thought that was against the law for banks to do that. i would like to do something about this , but what can i do? Mbs20 drexel hill, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
May 22 2008
WACHOVIA BANK plays the shell game to get your money Allentown Pennsylvania
After a litany of unbelievable screw-overs by Wachovia, I have closed my account after more than 20 years. I will mention four, the most egregious: 1. Closed my savings account and deposited the $ in my checking account. The next day I withdrew the $ to open a savings account elsewhere. The next day, i get their magic OD postcard. Ready? They did a bank sweep and moved the money BACK into my CLOSED savings account so that when I withdrew it from checking, it wouldn't be there and they could get me with OD fees. No one has been able to explain this. I did get the OD fees credited, as a one-time convenience they said. HA! 2. Got a home equity line of credit. My original mortgage was through Wachovia, and had been paid off for years. I had to show them proof of homeowner's insurance. I did. (It was the same as my original loan, but nevermind) THEY BOUGHT ME HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE OF THEIR CHOOSING AND AT THEIR RIDICULOUS PRICE ANYWAY!!! The card never worked. Every time I tried to use it it came back stolen. Every time from first attempt on. Which meant I had to use my debit card -- more OD fees for them! They replaced the card. It showed up as a new account AND THEY BOUGHT ME HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE AGAIN!! 3. I paid off and closed the home equity line of credit (as the card always comes up stolen anyway I couldn't use it). That was 3 months ago. I still get a statement with fees and have to call or go in every month to remind them I CLOSED the account! 4. So what was the straw that broke this camel's back? When, after numerous requests, they sent me my tax information -- postmarked APRIL 15th!! Laura allentown, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: Allentown, Pennsylvania
May 22 2008
Wachovia Bank Beware for hidden charges. Charlotte North Carolina
I have a checking and savings account, as time went by it continually and gradually decreased due to hidden charges and I called customer service and didnt get my money back. Im sorry for future victims of this RIP-OFF! i just want to prevent this hidden charges to anybody, beware of each charges they could pile up. Leo phillipsburg, New JerseyU.S.A.
Entity: Charlotte, North Carolina
Jul 31 2008
Wachovia Bank Unethical Charges on top of unethical charges and more charges Bethel Connecticut
Sadly, Wachovia is not the only bank that rips people off. Most banks that I've dealt with do the same, and there are banks far worse than Wachovia. However, this is what Wachovia did to us: One time, there was a lien put on our account. However, the lien was in no way legal. I went to a lawyer to explain the situation. He agreed, not legal, and charged me $300 to write a letter to the bank explaining that there was no basis for the claim (no judgement, no contract) and it was for an out-of-state alleged fee from 20 years ago. Wachovia immediately released the hold on the money and acknowledged that it was there mistake to put an invalid lien through. However, they refused to refund the $100 lien processing charge they had imposed on the account. If you admit it was your mistake, why would you leave the charge? More recently, on my husband's account, some unauthorized charges were put through. There was not enough in the account, so the charges were rejected-not paid, and he was fined $35 multiple times. He informed the bank that the charges were unauthorized, but they said the charges were still valid and that the only way to stop more unauthorized charges was to pay the fines, close the account and re-open a new one. Yeah, right. Jnlwriter Bethel, ConnecticutU.S.A.
Entity: Bethel, Connecticut