AUTHOR HOUSE PUBLISHING Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: author house publishing

There may be more reports for "author house publishing"

For more results perform a general search for "author house publishing"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

May 01 2012
Author House Publishing Deception, they made alot of promises they did not keep. Internet
 I paid Authorhouse a little over 1,300 dollars for the editing of my book, media alert, personalized picture of myself and standard paperback publishing. My book is terrible, it has mispelled words after editing was approved, my picture was not added and the author name was something I wasn't named by my parents. I am a first time auhtor who was really excited about my new book and now have no trust for companies. I would like to join any class action law suit, if there is not one out there I will be filing an indivdual one for myself and if anyone like to join we can. They do need to be stopped, it seems as if they don't care about the little guys only the big names that has published with them.
Jan 30 2013
Author House Publishing AuthorHouse Refund of $0.00 for $2,299 Package, Internet
I purchased the Pinaccle Package from Authorhouse's Self-Publishing deals online and made a full payment of $2,299. It was for my very first book. A children's novel entitled - only about 120 pages long. I had never been published before and, at twenty years old, thought it would be a good way to promote myself as an author to have a published novel under my belt. It all started on the wrong foot. Julie, the representative I was put with, would not listen to my requests. She ignored my request for an editting service (which would have earned the company $1,275). She only wanted the basic information so she could move my book onto formatting. I was very upset that my needs weren't being met and when I was pushed onto the second step (the formatting process) I requested a cancellation.Two months went by and I waited quite patiently- as they said it could take up to 30 days. Finally, after recieving no refund, I called Authorhouse. The representatives told me I had been issued a refund of $0.00. Upset, I asked why. They said my book was finished and I explained that it absolutely was not. So they said they would get me in touch with a higher representative.Well when I contacted him he pointed out that I would only recieve a $526.00 refund. Why? My book had already been formatted and I needed to cover the fees for the consultation and formatting. I tried to explain that my book had been pushed onto that step before I was ready (hence the reason I cancelled to begin with). That's when he pulled out the terms and conditions stating I would only recieve a 25% refund once the book had been done formatting. And I would only recieve a 50% refund if my book manuscript had been submitted. I continued to argue that I had not approved my book to be formatted, but my arguement was ignored. Needless to say none of the refunds were ultimately issued to me and I ultimately had to file a claim with the BBB (who is now looking into it). So far, here are all of the services/products I paid for and I did not recieve:30 Book StubsBook Signing KitBarnes & Noble ListingBook Sellers Return ProgramBook Buyer's PreviewMarketting KitAmazon and Google ListingsCopyright Registration5 Hardcover Copies20 Paperback CopiesISBN AssignmentOnline DistributionMarketting CouncelationBookstore AvailabilityComplimentary Author CopyDigital Formatting and DistributionHardcover FormattingLibrary of Congress Control NumberElectronic Proof And I have been issued exactly $0.00 as a refund:. From the very beginning Authorhouse ignored my requests and rushed me through the process. Now I see why, as they have written in very small print all of the fees that occur as each step is reached. Authorhouse assumed that a twenty-year-old girl who writes children's books could easily be taken advantage of. And as of right now they are correct. But I will not stand to be walked on. My feelings are hurt and my hopes of being a writer are temporarily shattered. Buyer's beware... they promise great feats and offer a lot of opportunities to lose money.
Mar 14 2013
Author House Publishing No support, as contracted, no answers; Extorsion Attempt; Intentional or negligent withholding of vital info (book review by professional Review Company). Bloomington, Indiana
MEMORANDUM SELFPUBLISHING WHY NOT? MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE In 2011 into the first quarter of 2012, I penned a manuscript titled FROM HITLERS OPPRESSION TO AMERICAN LIBERTY Originally I intended to leave my memories to my children and grandchildren only but was advised by friends and family to publish as they were too valuable to withhold them from a broader readership. My research led to self-publishing since traditional publishers would not even look at the work of an unknown author. I narrowed down my potential publishers to - Dorrance Publishing, - X-Libris Corporation, and - AuthorHousePublishing (AHP). After careful consideration, the decision fell in favor of AHP, an American Corporation with their corporate seat in Bloomington, IN. The first contact with AHP was established on March 15, 2012 and confirmed by e-mail the same day. This mail also included a list of the best features of publishing through AHP. On March 19, 2012 I received my first program package from the Publishing Consultant containing the different publishing contracts to choose from including a half off (50%) discount for certain choices. The Cornerstone option appeared to be the most valuable to me considering What You Get vs. price. Five (5) pages of Terms and Conditions and six (6) pages of Schedule A were also included. However, at least one (1) page, points 9 through 12 were missing. In spite of several requests, they have never been supplied by AHP. The mostly legal language caused me to carefully study the programs extensively and conducted several telephone conversations with the Publishing Consultant. The calls were initiated by me to answer as many questions and uncertainties I could find. Finally, on March 28, 2012. I received mail from the Publishing Consultant who informed me the sale we are running concludes at the end of the month. Very much feeling subject to pressure I signed the Cornerstone Contract on March 29, 2012 leaving me with my first doubts about my selection. I will, however, point out that the professional attitude and convincing handling of the Publishing Consultant, a real superb and knowledgeable sales-man, contributed greatly to my growing confidence in a mutually amicable and profitable relationship with my publisher of choice. This confidence continued during the following publishing process, hard on me but uneventful. All decisions were my responsibility. I often wished more advice and would have appreciated more help as I was completely inexperienced in all publishing matters. On July 7, 2012, I received the two Author-Copies and discovered a few typos and the omission of a whole paragraph on page 29 of my manuscript = page 66 of the book, which was on the flash drive I had previously sent to the Check-in Coordinator. I had instructed her to return said flash drive but never received an answer. In order to avoid further delays and disputes I accepted responsibility and paid the resubmission fee (my e-mail, dated July 8, 2012). A few days later, I discovered that several (?) faulty books had already been printed, together with my author copies and distributed to vendors. This information was given to me by the Book Sales Consultant who could not do anything about this mishap any longer; an embarrassing experience! The book was officially published on July 12, 2012. The following months and events are proof of my non-dwindling enthusiasm and the dwindling support by the Marketing Consultant and the Book Sales Consultant. During my initial contract negotiations, my publisher had repeatedly assured me to have the right to receive continuous guidance and support; however, that was not supported by the facts. Some features of my Cornerstone Contract, at first sight promising, proved to be of no or little value. Social Media campaigns seem to be impressive but are ineffective when the author has not yet built up friends or followers, etc. Starting from zero will not result in any sales (at least not for a long time. After installing Twitter and making my first approaches, I found the Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, even questionable women, etc to be my followers. My cries for help to AHP co-workers remained unanswered. The one million recipients campaign, also impressive in the brochure, reaches standard customers of AHP regardless of their interest. Fifty thousand hits and three thousand openings did not result in one book sale. The 800 (or so) press release campaign allows the author to exert some influence and resulted, caused by my input in one important success, a book review by MIDWESTBOOK REVIEW to be dealt with later. Retailers (bookstores) I contacted hate Print on demand. They want the interested customer to enter their store, purchase a book and leave. POD forces them to prepay and return after eight to ten days and pick up the book. I have talked to numerous large distributors and found rejection. Among them was Ingram. They informed me that they do not directly deal with authors but only with publishers. All my attempts were made known by me to AHP. It took several months until someone informed me that Ingram is the main distributor of AHP. Attempts to interest local book retailers failed or ended with little success. Example: I managed to convince the seven bookstores of Barnes and Noble in the Greater Pittsburgh Area to purchase one or two books each after corporate (New York) permission was granted. The books had no exposure being jammed in with hundreds of other books on the shelves. Almost all me requests for explanations, for help and advice were met with patronizing, even insulting answers or not answered at all. Most of the printed replies seem to be computerized. A few designed by the coordinators themselves were written in bad English not becoming to a reputable publishing company. {By the way, my main reason to have X-Libris eliminated was the fear of misunderstandings due to language problems. In the meantime, I learned that X-libris is at least associated with AHP. They even share the same address with AHP in Bloomington.} The handling of book sales statistics is deplorable. Having been a CEO of a mining equipment corporation, I started and led to more than $ 43 million gross sales per year in less than five years gives me the right to convey my personal philosophy in this respect: LATE STATISTICS, LATE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS ARE WORTHLESS! I am the CEO of my book enterprise and would like to use statistics to improve marketing. The present system of AHP allows me to see the sales statistics with a delay of up to five months: quarterly results plus another two months of administrative work to get it right. Transparency is also poor. I have numerous examples, all documented through my collection of e-mails. I did not receive answers on my written and verbal concerns or received even insulting replies like a copy of our contract telling me: you signed it! During a telephone conversation, I praised the statistics provided by Amazon.com., though not perfect and suggested to consider similar information to be gathered by computerization. With POD, a printed book is statistically, a book sold. Different print shops AHP may use in different areas can be easily integrated into the system and should not impede the transparency of the results without delay. All I wanted was a discussion about ways to improve or at least understand the policies of AHP, not criticism but constructive suggestions to be read and understood. A prime example is the handling of the book-stubs. After their long delayed receipt, they were marked free download although I had paid for them but had not been consulted for my approval. {Also, see point 5 of the AHP letter, dated March 15, 2012}. Several times I was advised, to check my inbox and thereafter got 11 - all the same - e-mails dumped into my inbox. The 60 book-stubs, part of the Cornerstone Program I had purchased were mailed to me and marked Download your free E-book. Sixty E-books x $ 4.00 = $ 240.00. After I complained about a loss I was informed that e -books did not require my approval since they were just the electronic form of the printed books, which I had agreed to. Well, the books had not been marked free and could be sold. The e-stubs could not be sold and were according to AHP supposed to serve as promotional sales tools. Where is the logic? A book given away cannot be sold! If I am to be in charge of marketing it is to be my decision how to use them. It must not be dictated by an opinion of my publisher. The Author Support Department has received a summary of my positive suggestions in writing. They called it the eight point discussion. This Department must be huge with no special assignment of co-workers to specific authors. I have talked by telephone to at least ten different people forcing me to repeat my concerns again and again. I never received real answers, except for the claim my concerns had been forwarded to a supervisor. No answers were ever granted. My demand to speak to a supervisor myself has never been realized. It appeared that they were being shielded from me. I could continue with many (more) documented examples of a similar kind but will instead proceed to the culmination of my memorandum: Finally, I will describe the two incidents of my biggest concern and importance. They might be linked together. There might be intent (I hope not since this could be construed as a criminal action) or a sign of organizational problems (as this would be gross negligence). A) On June 12, 2012, one month before my book was published, I received a telephone call from the Marketing Consultant (RJ McPherson) with subsequent email confirmation as of the same date. The e-mail suggests to establish credibility thru a professional review. The proposed review company was KIRKUS. Verbally, high royalties, advances and even Hollywood Contracts were envisioned. The luring proposal would cost only $ 2,999.00. In response, I made the following statements: 1. Why now since the book had not yet been published? 2. Does AHP have so little confidence in their marketing success I had just paid for that they suggest such additional expenses at this time? 3. Why have I not been told during our sales negotiations of such a step? It would have raised a red flag on my side (see point 2. above). 4. At this early time, I would rather wait for the promised and expected success of the book with so much confidence. 5. Today, I want to add: I could not find one person working for AHP who actually read my book and would stand for its quality and message. How can AHP justify such a proposal trying to cash in more funds from an inexperienced, unsuspecting author? B) Following the press release I received an e-mail from Author Solutions (Stacey Rondeau) that MIDWESTBOOKREVIEW (MWBR) had requested two copies for their review on August 4, 2012. The copies were promptly mailed and received by MWBR. I had selected Wisconsin to be included in the campaign since my eldest daughter, now a professor in Virginia, had started her career in Madison, published some research results, and I was hoping for name recognition. In spite of numerous calls and e-mails, I did not get an answer for a long time. Stacey had mysteriously vanished and no one took over her duties. Later I learned that she had left AHP. Organizational problem? My more than frequent inquiries remained un-answered until some time later: see the connection below (C and D) for further information. C) On December 3, 2012, Mr. Jim Archer called, introduced himself as the successor of RJ McPherson as the new Marketing Consultant and presented yet another proposal that I should purchase a Literary Prime Prospect Package, now engaging Baker & Taylor. While Kirkus (see A)) had been appraised as the best and most experienced in the business. Baker & Taylor was even better, which was also expressed by their service price of almost $ 12,700 for similar services: mainly book-reviews to serve as springboard to Literary Agents and conventional publishers. Success was almost guaranteed. In order to gain more knowledge about unfamiliar business dealings I had recently studied some information about Literary Agents and conventional Book Publishing. The overwhelming result of independent sources was that serious and ethical Agents do not charge up-front fees but a percentage (10 to 15%) of future revenues of the author made possible by the wok and success of the agent. At this point, the timeline becomes very important! Mr. Archer confirmed his phone presentation by an e-mail, dated December 4, 2012. Mr. Archer continued to threaten by saying: if you dont accept this offer it will be the end of our relationship. Mr. Archer apologized one day later after he received my e-mail response about his insults. I accepted though left with the taste of extortion. I made it clear that there would be no acceptance of the new venue until I received information about the MWBR review. I also sent a copy of this mail to the Marketing Service Representative, James Aguilar. D) Suddenly, a miracle happened: On December 18, 2012, Mr. James Aguilar sent an e-mail containing the missing book review from MWBR. The opening statement is; I just received an e-mail information in reference to the Midwest Book Review. The review is archived on the Midwest Book review web site at (link).. Further investigation revealed that the review had been published already on the first day of November 2012. In addition, AHP was individually informed in writing no later than Mid-November. Suddenly (again) this information originated from Author Solutions and a gentleman, named Skippher Rheed Lumbab, from X-libris Corporation served as go-to Liaison. His e-mail is dated December 24, 2012 . It is utterly inconceivable that such a positive review of my book was buried, forgotten or withheld for such a long time>> six weeks! The resulting question is whether the delay was wanted to convince me to accept the review offer through Baker & Taylor and for this reason I had not been informed about the availability of the Mid West Book Review. In any case, it is obvious that my personal insistence through quite a few e-mails as well as numerous telephone calls were solely responsible for the wake-up call of co-workers of AHP. Without my engagement, I might still be waiting for the valuable result. 7 This should also be seen under the fact that I was not supposed to respond to any book-review request myself but refer them to AHP, as I had been instructed by e-mail on August 4, 2012. After receipt of the MWB Review in Mid December, I have repeatedly asked AHP to use this already existing review to our advantage utilizing the same connections AHP had been offering for $ 12,700 or $ 3,000 respectively. There (again) has not been any response, no explanation, no hope!!! Great damage has been done and it is not reparable. Looking at the established timeline one can conclude that intent may have played a role. I cannot believe that such intent is a result of corporate policies rather than personal motivation to show financial accomplishments. I will conclude for now although I could add pages and pages with examples of the - for me - so damaging and disappointing relationship and cooperation with a self-publishing corporation. I could write a second book or brochure subtitled MY JOURNEY THROUGH SELFPUBLISHING thus referring to the subtitle of my original book. It could serve as instructions and caution unknowing and unsuspecting new authors about their realistic expectations. It would also be valuable to see statistics about the return on the investments of all self-published books by contracted programs. I hardly expect much positive results. Marketing is the most important area for improvement. One man, the author, in my case almost 82 tears old, cannot manage such a huge task having no knowledge, no experience in publishing without the active help of professional experts. Unfortunately, there is a significant discrepancy between the authors confidence and actual assistance provided by the publisher. Being a never dying idealist, I have much faith in the message and quality of my autobiography. I believe in the overwhelming positive feedback and reviews of my work, which would lift it into the ranks of a bestseller with proper and effective marketing. I cannot do it all alone. Facebook and Twitter will not do it; the 1 million recipient campaign had no success, only the press release campaign led to the success of the review. I have given quite a few flash point slide presentations in local libraries, though highly appreciated they create only limited publicity. As of today, I do not believe that any actions of AHP have led to one book sale. I am taking credit for all of the almost 300 copies of real and e-books sold so far. This is not enough to brag about it though I am proud of this accomplishment given the circumstances. To me, the message the book contains is more important than revenues. I believe the idea of self-publishing is good - the execution needs fundamental improvements. I am looking forward to your serious reply after a thorough evaluation of this memorandum. I am neither difficult nor disgruntled though disappointed but do not want to give up. Thank you for your patience and understanding Sincerely Les Sir (February 2013)
May 25 2010
Author House first book Author House appears to have lost control of the publishing industry Inbloomington, Indiana
This is author powers. Dwain Powers Williams the author of A possible ailment vs. a defiance of the judicial system ISBN: 1418417750 and 1418417734. Under the direct supervision of the attorney general office of Indiana, in file number 10-CP-52197. Allison Wolfe letter written on May 18, 2010 state: that they feel the matter between Author House and me is breach of contract or breach of warranty. Athough the Attorney General Office would like to roll over and to pretend that this matter is personal, they have a fiduciary reponsibility to protect the general public at any cost. No breach of anything by any one in our society should be allowed to exist or allowed to continue to exist without protecting the public. No book, no product, no tangable or no intagable items, should be fraudently used on the general public for profit or for any benefit. Nor should it continue to be allowed to exist for the benefit of our public officals possibly rolling over under the pressure of creating a true solution to a complicated problem. If Shelley Powers did not write my book and it is being fraudulenty sold under that name also to the public, then this matter should not be considered personal. If Author House or I were taken out of the equation by an intellegen observation, a duty to the public must still exist by our public officials. To hell with my problems and to hell with Author House problems, the attorney general office must be equippted with the right people consciouse enough to not roll over for any big companies. They must be conscouse enough to learn to see past deception, to detect where it came from, and to what purpose it is being used for on the public. They must learn to avoid the road of least resistance by any means. Combining my problems with Author problems and making this matter personal does not give service to the public, nor does it create a solution for the general public interest in stopping a violation to the public. The Attorney General reponse is an irresponsible use of the public office, and it should be considered unconstitutional to allow fraud and to allow deception to contiue with out invoking the powers of the  people office. Fraud or deception must not be allowed to exist on any level in our great socitey.  Two entities problems must not be confused, must not be combined or must not be intertwoven as a means to a solution for a disposal of a file.  Author House stated in their response letter that they are not affiliated or know a Shelley Powers under the direct supervison of the attorney general. If my book could be sold or purchased under the name Shelley Powers, then this should represent proof that Author House lost control over the book publishing industry a long time ago. My book was published in 2004. I am only an author. I have no power over faud and deception other than what was written in this tex.  Both Author House and The Attorney General must take on an unpleasent task of ridding our society of untrue facts. In order to remain in power(both of them), they must have the moral and ethical compass to guide them in this darken area in the publishing industry. The public have the right to be informed and be protected. Arise any knight and become the defender of the public!
Entity: Inbloomington, Indiana
Jun 29 2016
Westbow Press/Author House Author Solutions, Balboa Press, Abbott Press, Vanity Publishing Scam, lies Indianapolis Indiana
I just paid my publishing fees last week to Westbow Press and have had an uneasy feeling after working with Rita at the front desk,  Rey, who was rude to me,  Mr. Fitch, who was condescending and Nicki, the manager  who was so kind to me until I confronted their scam.  They have not yet performed any services.  They just received my manuscript yesterday and after having been treated rudely by Mr. Fitch, i decided to google reviews for Westbow.  The complaints are in abundance!  They almost had me convinced when they assured me they have an A+ rating with BBB Better Business Bureau.  I checked out their A+ rating and in fact that is true, but there is also a long list of complaints similar to mine.  I copied and pasted a statement from BBB about complaints: This Customer Review, along with my contact information, will be sent to the business for validation. I understand that customer reviews are not used in the calculation of the BBB Rating and that BBB does not accept anonymous reviews. Needless to say, a BBB A+ rating means nothing! I spoke to Andrea, who took my credit card info and she assured me that I could opt out of this contract and I would be charged a handling fee of 150.00, but would be refunded my balance.  I spoke to the nice lady at the front desk, Rita and she was just oozing with kind words until I insisted that I would not proceed forward with Westbow.  She asssured me they were a Christian company, etc and railroaded my conversation until I had to raise my voice to try to get a word in.  I was transfered to Nichole B--- and she too had on her sweet, kind voice until I let her know I wanted out.  She too railroaded the conversation, citing the contract and agreement, etc that supposedly I signed and informed them that I was ready to give them half of my money for absolutely nothing!  My assistant was in my office and my phone was on speaker and she heard and witnessed the unbelievable scamming and swindling taking place right before our eyes. I am heartbroken for being a trusting individual.  I have published 3 other books and have had national sales and traveled to Europe and sold many books and have never dealt with dishonesty like this.  They claim their competitors are behind sites like the one I found with all the complaints.   I filed a complaint with BBB and they already quashed that with their legalese.  I emailed Manager Nicki/Nichole and she emailed me back from a bogus email account.  I responded to her email and received an undeliverable error message.  It has not even been a full 7 days since I blindly gave them my money and they state that they have invested a lot into the process.  I emailed Mr. Fitch, who was the individual in charge of my book and he rudely replied and let me know that nothing was happening with my manuscript or book until after a 3 week long vetting process.  And yet, they have done too much to be able to refund me my money.  This wrong and it is a scam!  They are an affiliate of the biggest publishing names in Christiandom, but there is nothing Christ-like about these people!
Entity: Internet
Apr 08 2007
Author House Publishing no reply, I told how I know I'm not the only author to notice their cunning business. ripoff Bloomington Indiana
It's been 5 days now since my last email contact with this horrible company. I was upset my last two posts that there few typo error. I am upset because I told them I'm doing alterations to my book,to remove it off the retail channel. I checked online today and my book still on yes it is. They say author as control; that is a lie. They do not stand good by their word, nor honor contract agreement they made with the author. WRITERS how I rate this company? AuthorHouse I rate them thumbs down big time. Faith Kula, HawaiiU.S.A.
Apr 24 2014
Jul 22 2016
Entity: Nationwide
Mar 29 2007
Author House tried to squeeze money out of my sponsor for my copyright they lost ripoff Bloomington Indiana
My sponsor called and got through after his 9th call in a week and 3rd called today got through. He adressed original copyright certificate issue. AuthorHouse said we can get another one but it will cost? ($150.00) My sponsor said I am not paying one penny for AuthorHouse irresponsibilities. That Rich VanLue got $42.00 for a book the author gets free. It will be the company money to replace it. He made me proud that he showed them he was not a push over. Faith Kula, HawaiiU.S.A.
Apr 15 2011
iUniverse Author House - AuthorHouse - Xlibris - Bertram Capital Management - Author Solutions - Trafford Publishing - Wordclay DANGER! BEWARE! FRAUD! and let's not forget CLASS ACTION Internet
I sat in the Bada Bing today and thought about this awful situation for a long time. The corporate officers and certain employees of these entities deserve to be pictured in handcuffs on the front page of every significant newspaper in the world, and featured on American Greed, Dateline, and 60 Minutes, to name only a few.All due respect...The masterminds behind this flimflam printing operation should get no respect, no more money from the public, and significant incarceration. They know perfectly well what they're doing and what they have done to an unsuspecting public. In order to not let them get away with it, each one of you who had money stolen by iUniverse and its other incarnations needs to step up and join a class action lawsuit and not keep saying that someone else ought to do it. They are not going to go away unless you join to do something. Stop feeling powerless.(((Redacted))) CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Jan 22 2008
Publishing Clearing House publishing Clearing House scam Clearwaterclearwater Florida
This company has billed me items that I didn't ask for. I'm always receiving calls that I been selected for sweepstakes to win one million dollars. The first thing they ask is if I have a credit card and asking for additional information. I don't give them any of my information so I hang up. Ash_lando Chicago, IllinoisU.S.A.
Entity: Clearwater, Florida
Aug 01 2014
Tate Publishing Hiding information from the author Mustang Oklahoma
I have two books published through Tate Publishing LLC.  Both children's books were published in August/Oct, 2011.  Over the past 3 years, I have been trying to obtain a (sold amount) from this publisher.  I was told by Ryan Tate, sorry, we do not provide this information to the author's.   During 2011 and a portion of early, 2012 I launched the books all over the world, in several book stores.  Most of the stores that I was able to contact, did accept and did advertise the books in their stores (online) and (walk in).  As the months go by, I tend to notice that the books appeared to be selling and over time, noticed that the stores advertised sold out, out of stock.  I even landed on Amazon's Best Selling Children's Turtle Books for about 6-8 weeks.  With this being said, I had to sell at least a few books, and then some.  By the way, Tate tends to re-fill sold orders to the book stores in about 4-6 months, they are not in a hurry. I again, tried to contact the publisher to see how many books, really sold.  I keep receiving the answer of sorry, we dont advertise that information, or I dont even receive a reply.  I did contact the Attorney General in Oklahoma and a complaint was filed.  I believe this was in 2012.  Ryan's response was we did nothing wrong and we dont advertise this information to the author's.  The case was then, closed. Recently, 7/26/2014 I contacted Melanie Hughes (Director of Production) to demand my electronic files, including the rights so I could move both books, to another publisher.  I again, received NO reply.  I filed another complaint with the Attorney General in Oklahoma and the BBB and an answer from the publisher is still, in waiting.  I dont see how this publisher or any other publisher is able to hide this (sold amount) from the author.  Also, if I did receive an amount, I would not trust this publisher, anyway.  Tate Publishing appears to be a highly shady business which again, appears to be a snake in the grass.   I do believe the publisher is enjoying royalties to no end and continues to hide this information from every author.  As long as we keep this information from every author, they never reach their 5000 sold mark and we get to take endless vacations, thanks to every author method.  They are as shady as Al Capone and Baby Face Nelson.  Tate, if you are reading this, I hope every author moves their book(s) to another publisher and your doors, close.  DO NOT use this publisher, you will never receive an honest and straight answer.
Entity: Mustang, Oklahoma
Feb 07 2013
ECKO HOUSE PUBLISHING AARDVARK PUBLISHING THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND WILL NOT DELIVER SERVICES Internet
Ecko House Publishing is a RIP OFF!!! DO NOT USE THEM TO SELF PUBLISH YOUR BOOK. I have been working with Samantha for almost a month to have my book digitally published for e-book downloads. When the information was sent over to Amazon, the price was wrong and the viewers are seeing blank pages when they view inside the book. I have sent several emails to samantha and nothing has been done! Ecko House Publishing also published the hard copy of this book WITH TONS OF MISTAKES. THIS COMPANY HAS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, VERY CARELESS  AND DOES NOT PROVIDE THE SERVICE THEY SAY THEY WILL!! YOU CAN ONLY REACH THEM VIA EMAIL IN WHICH THEY ANSWER WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT AND FORGET ABOUT CALLING THEM-------THEY WILL NEVER ANSWER!! I ASKED FOR A REFUND 3 DAYS AGO AND HAVE NOT HAD A RESPONSE FROM ANYONE.
Mar 23 2012
Raider Publishing International Adam Salviani Raider publishing cheats Indian author with attractive words. Internet, Internet
I am an Indian author attracted by the big words Adam Salviani has used in the website about his publishing career. I opted for the best package by paying 3000 US dollars for publishing my novel YOIKANA. Good word flowed till the time for publication approached.  Adam stopped writing directly. The book has been published without an introduction that I got from the Sami Parliament in Norway with much difficulty. The acknowledgement page is missing. The novel is published shabbily. Author copies have not yet reached me even after ten months of publishing the book. Once they even wrote to me that the books were already sent. When I wrote after a month about the book not reaching me they said that they were still trying to send the books. Lies started coming one after another.  I asked them to give up their right to promote my book and send my money back. But they have refused. I find their services are completely contradictory to what they profess in their web. Once they got my money their dealings with me changed me completely. The office would not connect my phone to anyone and responds very impolitely.
Entity: Internet, Internet
May 17 2013
Author House INCOMPETENT BUFFOONS Bloomington Indiana
 I stupidly agreed to publish a second book with Author House after the months long nightmare associated with the publication of my first book. From what I can determine this is a scam.  Promises were made to promote my book and now, having receieved amateuristic marketing materials I wouldn't line a bird-cage with, I am told that marketing is entirely up to me. The linguistically challanged phone people in the Philippines refuse to put my calls through to the office in Indianna. I was assured the 'Clarion Review' I paid extra for, was how bookstores choose books to carry and now, weeks after approving the Galley, I'm told, Oh no...YOU have to contact each bookstore in the US that you want to carry your books, and YOU have to ask them if they will please read the Clarion review...and then...ask them to please carry your books.  I've been lied to all the way down the pike and they have more than $3,500.00 of mine and I want it BACK.
May 15 2009
Author House ,Author House, nearly 2000, big letdown, unprofessional workmanship overload Bloomington Indiana
Author House staff with their convincing sales pitch, convinced me to have my book published by them. Great loss! Great regret! The font size I sent was changed, saying its too large. I was talked out of my voiced and written dissatisfaction, with the illustrations, I complained about the layout; the galley. I was talked out of all my objections, and was convinced that it was all fine, against my better judgement, and so I signed off the galley, after being told, 'We know what we are doing, we do this everyday, you are becoming anxious and wirrying over nothing.' I was right, my fears were all founded, I had a right to worry and be anxious; the book is unsaleable, because of bad presentation; Author House messed my book up, big time! and its over priced, despite my strong objections, I was forced to accept their final pricing. I was told because its a colour book and has many pages and illustrations. There are only nine, and they made them large. I was badly advised in every way. As my 1st book, I was inexperienced, my lack of knowledge in book publishing was used against me and cost me a gret deal of money; writing is my only work, I have no income. My fears, which I voiced, but was convinced otherwise, and signed acceptance through desperation, was founded, my book is unsaleable. I have since made several complaints, Author House have now offered to do corrections, but at my expence. This I have objected to and have asked them to accept responsibility, because I feel strongly about the fact that they should know better, and knew what they were doing. I have asked for my book to be corretly republished or my money be given back to me. (I am waiting.) I have received pleasing reviews about my story, which is the first in the series. I hope that my book will be rebublished and correctly priced, which will hopefully enable it to get a chance on the book shelves in the shops, as its a good story. Sia LondonUnited Kingdom
Feb 02 2012
Publishing Clearing House 554677541 your email has won $1,000,000.00. send all your info,name,address,etc. Internet
Received an email stating that I won $1,000,000.00 through an email from Publishing Clearing House. They wanted to know all my information, name, address, etc., before I would get my money. Their email address did not look legit and sounded real scammy. They used 554677541 to get my attention.
Mar 09 2009
1 Publishing/Publishers Clearing House Selectyourgift.com Won $1000.00 to spend online ,Online Nationwide
This Company called me saying they were from Publishers Clearing House and I had won $1000.00 from selectyourgift.com and entered in thier million dollar sweepstakes for the drawing this year. All I had to do is buy a subsciption to a magazine at a lower price and give them my visa card info or bank info and they would charge this lower price to me and I could go immediately to spend my thousand. I told them no and they hung up on me! That lead me to look for the site and I found this one and of course selectyourgift.com is under construction and says coming soon. Leslie of all trades Macon, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
May 08 2017
xlibris publishing author solutions publishing Author Solutions and imprint Xlibris continues to steal from authors, With so many complaints how can Xlibris still be in business? bloomington Indiana
How is it that Xlibris and Author Solutions can still be in business with so many reports of ripping off authors? Ripoff Reports shows years of negative reports about this company but they are still in business, what can be done to put an end to this? I have personally been fighting with xlibris for several years to get my simple 80 page book launched properly. It was issue after issue and now that my connection to this company is so close to being over they hit me again with one of their scams. I too have paid the $6,000 price for a complete package that includes the marketing. They built my book's website and now they want to charge me for bandwidth issues. This is the third time my site went down due to this issue and they want me to pay for their mistake. When the website completion date was set I had paid for a marketing company to do large scale and very expensive e mail blasts. Xlibris was very aware of the marketing strategy, the timing of the blast and the fact that I had paid a lot of money for this blast. Due to xlibris 'professional' web builders errors my site went down just as the blast was sent out causing me to lose over 25,000 customers. When I was assured by xlibris that the problem was fixed I sent out the second scheduled e mail blast to over 50,000 customers only to find out the site went down again losing me even more $. The first time the site went down I was not aware till friends reported problems viewing my site. I had to report it to xlibris and request compensation for the loss of $ due to their error. Marketing supervisor Vera Carter responded with an offer of 1 year free service of xlibris hosting the website starting in Dec. 2017. Why would I want them to host for an additional year when they can't get it right the first time? After consulting 2 outside tech firms I discovered that the bandwidth issue was something the builder would have known about when building the site. There have been no additions to the site so that alone indicates the builder, xlibris/author solutions must have created the problem while building the site. Now I have received an e mail stating that I must make additional monthly payments to keep my book's website up and working each month. Since I am not able to list e mail addresses, I am listing the people I have been dealing with regarding this issue. Adam Brillo who contacted me back when I first had issues with xlibris about 2yrs ago. At that time he was considered a supervisor in customer service so when this issue of the bandwidth started I cc'd him on all e mails requesting help. Vera Carter and James Aguilar are both supervisors of the marketing department so both were sent cc e mails regarding this bandwidth issue. Several years ago when I first had difficulties with this company, I discovered that there are no official overseers in the publishing world. I had taken it upon myself to create a class action law suit against xlibris and it's mother company author solutions. Now, I am furious with myself for not following thru with the class action law suit. Today is 5/7/17, I will give xlibis and author solutions one week to correct the problems they created on my book's website. If I feel their deceitful practices have not been addressed, I will be posting notice that the class action lawsuit has been activated again and all who wish to participate are welcome to contact me.
Entity: bloomington, Indiana
Nov 29 2012
Derek Lundy author Borderlands Rining the Edge of America, Knopf Random House Canada Anne McDermid and Associates Derek Lundy wrote a book of fiction using full of lies that endangers American citizens lives. Shamme on Amazon and Random House for publishing and or selling this book under the heading NON FICTION. Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada, Internet
Canadian Author Derek Lundy wrote a book Borderlands; Riding the Edge of America under the false premise it's non fiction. Borderlands is a fictional story that uses real names. It essentially endangers the lives of those he's slanders. Lundy is a desperate open borders advocate seeking self aggrandizement. After a police data base search it was discovered he's a suspect in a child molestation case in America and was remove from the country on visa violations. Don't waste your money on this poorly written book of propaganda and lies.
Entity: Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada, Internet
Jan 02 2012
Mansion Grove House Publishing Mansion Select Publishing House that rips off its authors Internet, Internet
You just never know. Mansion Grove Hpuse Piblishing looks legit, but publishing was a nightmare (I got complaints from bookstores that they sent faded & smudged books); they never paid my final advance; and the have ignored inquiries from myself and my lawyer for three years--while continuing to recruit new writers to take advantage of!I have found out that they also haven't paid at least three other authors. We're working on a possible class action suit in hopes of shutting this crook down.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Jun 06 2016
Peoples Publishing House A Division of Spectrum Enterprises4-page Letter signed by Amrik Kang Peoples Publishing House/Spectrum Enterprise Scam Puyallup Washington
Received this 4-page scam letter over the weekend.  Definitely one of those if it sounds too good be true, it is kinds of things. If offering a free information package why do they also ask for a check or money order?  If you look closely at the first page where it tells you to send $49.70 payable to Peoples Publishing House and to use the envelope provided - to which you have to adhere postage - you are advised to postdate the check from 30-45 days. Sorry, but if the information package is free then you should be able to request the information and if you decide to keep it then  submit payment; or return the information package.  Postdating a check for information from a person or company you don't know or have never done business with before is just asking for trouble. STAY AWAY!!!
Entity: Puyallup, Washington
Apr 08 2009
Author House / Author SOlutions I paid $2300. for edit and publish, I'm making 1.00 something off each book Bloomington Indiana
I wrote a book about my grandfather and I paid Author House $2300.00 to edit and publish my book, when the price agreement came up it showed $13.00 for the hard cover and 8.00 for the soft, this agreement was reached on because the book had 164 pages and anymore than that the book wouldnt sale. But it's listed at a higher price at other places ( The price of $13.00 and $8.00 shows up at the author house website) they said I agreed to 22.00 at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon, but I sure don't recall that, nor agreeing to the price of a 1.00 something a book. There are other things they did that I didn't like. I have missing text and missing pictures. I told them to remove some picutres, but they didnt' ask which ones. They took many things upon themselves. Then when I complained I was blasted and told they did what I wanted. Oh they train their employees well. They can make you feel so guilty. They asked me for extra money for a mistake THEY made. (Saying you didn't catch the mistake so you will have to pay for it.) They left many mistakes in my book, it would have cost me more to have fixed. I paid 1000.00 for editing and they didnt' even do a good job. Clc Bloomington, IndianaU.S.A.
Feb 23 2015
Author Solutions / Author House Xlibris;i,Universe;Partridge Africa;Partridge Singapore Authors Beware London;Bloomington Ohio;Manilla Phillipines Internet
 Author House, Xibris, I.Universe and Partridge are all part of the Author Solutions stable and as a victim of their extortionist tactics and unethical business practices, I reserve the right to share my experience with authors on a global scale. I was assisted in publishing my first book by Author House. I was mega impressed by the speed and efficiency with which the whole process came together. I had paid them a fee, which I considered fair and believed that I had received value.  It took some time for the dawn of reality to emerge and by then I had been suckered in like sheep to the slaughter. Reality being that they're crooks.  Firstly, the ink was barely dry and I got a call from the marketing department telling me what a wonderful book I had written and that it was destined for best seller status, but like any new product. it needed promoting. I was given a glowing resume' of how they had helped obscure authors out of obscurity and into the spotlight of publishing fame. Skeptical I was, but when presented with what they had in mind, I had to admit that it sounded pretty damn good. I invested $ 5,000.00 in the package they offered me and received in return about $ 200.00 in value. What they delivered was planets away from the package I had paid for. What surprised me was the speed with which they offered me a 50% refund when I finally got one of their directors on the phone. They still made a packet out of me without delivering anything that remotely resembled a marketing package. I guess the rapid refund was a gesture designed to shut me up.  Before the dawning of reality, their sales department was onto me..This book is best seller material they said. You just have to have it printed for distribution in the States. It will fly off the shelves and we will actively promote it.. Yeah right!!.. I paid $ 9,500.00 to have 3,000 books printed and immediately the money left my account they went into silent mode. It took me 3 months to get answers as to the status of the books and discovered that they were in a warehouse in Ohio awaiting orders from online booksellers. No active promotion, no flying off shelves, no intention to honor their undertaking.  ROYATY TIME! I received my first royalty statement a month later than it was due, which understated sales that I was aware of by 52 books. When I queried that, I was told to provide evidence of the sales that I was claiming. But the account with online booksellers was in the name of Author House and I could not gain access to the records without the authority of the account holder.. Author House. Would Author House provide me with the required access?. No chance!  And the check for the royalties due against the understated sales?.. Oh thats in the post... We posted it on 30th May... Well August is nearly over and I still don't have the check. The books that have been gathering dust in Ohio are now supposed to be shipped to me in South Africa, but they cannot find a carrier to handle the shipment. (30 boxes of books??,. C’mon!) only a half wit would believe that. I don't even know if the books were ever printed and I suspect not. After having demanded that they send them to me so that I could take control, one delay has followed another and after two months of wrangling I'm told they're on the way, but guess what?.. They can't find a copy of the waybill or any reference to the consignment. . They also keep ducking my request to provide evidence of their print run.. I wonder why?  Oh YES!!!... I'm angry. I reserve the right to be. I can categorically state without fear of reprisal that the Author Solutions group are publishing predators. They prey on the vulnerability and inexperience of first time authors who are duped into believing their falsehoods.  I would strongly recommend that anyone about to publish, stay very clear of these institutions.  I wish I had.Author House, Xibris, I.Universe and Partridge are all part of the Author Solutions stable and as a victim of their extortionist tactics and unethical business practices, I reserve the right to share my experience with authors on a global scale.  I was assisted in publishing my first book by Author House. I was mega impressed by the speed and efficiency with which the whole process came together. I had paid them a fee, which I considered fair and believed that I had received value.  It took some time for the dawn of reality to emerge and by then I had been suckered in like sheep to the slaughter. Reality being that they're crooks.  Firstly, the ink was barely dry and I got a call from the marketing department telling me what a wonderful book I had written and that it was destined for best seller status, but like any new product. it needed promoting. I was given a glowing resume' of how they had helped obscure authors out of obscurity and into the spotlight of publishing fame. Skeptical I was, but when presented with what they had in mind, I had to admit that it sounded pretty d*** good. I invested $ 5,000.00 in the package they offered me and received in return about $ 200.00 in value. What they delivered was planets away from the package I had paid for. What surprised me was the speed with which they offered me a 50% refund when I finally got one of their directors on the phone. They still made a packet out of me without delivering anything that remotely resembled a marketing package. I guess the rapid refund was a gesture designed to shut me up.  Before the dawning of reality, their sales department was onto me..This book is best seller material they said. You just have to have it printed for distribution in the States. It will fly off the shelves and we will actively promote it.. Yeah right!!.. I paid $ 9,500.00 to have 3,000 books printed and immediately the money left my account they went into silent mode. It took me 3 months to get answers as to the status of the books and discovered that they were in a warehouse in Ohio awaiting orders from online booksellers. No active promotion, no flying off shelves, no intention to honor their undertaking.  ROYATY TIME! I received my first royalty statement a month later than it was due, which understated sales that I was aware of by 52 books. When I queried that, I was told to provide evidence of the sales that I was claiming. But the account with online booksellers was in the name of Author House and I could not gain access to the records without the authority of the account holder.. Author House. Would Author House provide me with the required access?. No chance!  And the check for the royalties due against the understated sales?.. Oh thats in the post... We posted it on 30th May... Well August is nearly over and I still don't have the check. The books that have been gathering dust in Ohio are now supposed to be shipped to me in South Africa, but they cannot find a carrier to handle the shipment. (30 boxes of books??,. C’mon!) only a half wit would believe that. I don't even know if the books were ever printed and I suspect not. After having demanded that they send them to me so that I could take control, one delay has followed another and after two months of wrangling I'm told they're on the way, but guess what?.. They can't find a copy of the waybill or any reference to the consignment. . They also keep ducking my request to provide evidence of their print run.. I wonder why?  Oh YES!!!... I'm angry. I reserve the right to be. I can categorically state without fear of reprisal that the Author Solutions group are publishing predators. They prey on the vulnerability and inexperience of first time authors who are duped into believing their falsehoods.  I would strongly recommend that anyone about to publish, stay very clear of these institutions.  I wish I had.Author House, Xibris, I.Universe and Partridge are all part of the Author Solutions stable and as a victim of their extortionist tactics and unethical business practices, I reserve the right to share my experience with authors on a global scale.  I was assisted in publishing my first book by Author House. I was mega impressed by the speed and efficiency with which the whole process came together. I had paid them a fee, which I considered fair and believed that I had received value.  It took some time for the dawn of reality to emerge and by then I had been suckered in like sheep to the slaughter. Reality being that they're crooks.  Firstly, the ink was barely dry and I got a call from the marketing department telling me what a wonderful book I had written and that it was destined for best seller status, but like any new product. it needed promoting. I was given a glowing resume' of how they had helped obscure authors out of obscurity and into the spotlight of publishing fame. Skeptical I was, but when presented with what they had in mind, I had to admit that it sounded pretty damn good. I invested $ 5,000.00 in the package they offered me and received in return about $ 200.00 in value. What they delivered was planets away from the package I had paid for. What surprised me was the speed with which they offered me a 50% refund when I finally got one of their directors on the phone. They still made a packet out of me without delivering anything that remotely resembled a marketing package. I guess the rapid refund was a gesture designed to shut me up.  Before the dawning of reality, their sales department was onto me..This book is best seller material they said. You just have to have it printed for distribution in the States. It will fly off the shelves and we will actively promote it.. Yeah right!!.. I paid $ 9,500.00 to have 3,000 books printed and immediately the money left my account they went into silent mode. It took me 3 months to get answers as to the status of the books and discovered that they were in a warehouse in Ohio awaiting orders from online booksellers. No active promotion, no flying off shelves, no intention to honor their undertaking.  ROYATY TIME! I received my first royalty statement a month later than it was due, which understated sales that I was aware of by 52 books. When I queried that, I was told to provide evidence of the sales that I was claiming. But the account with online booksellers was in the name of Author House and I could not gain access to the records without the authority of the account holder.. Author House. Would Author House provide me with the required access?. No chance!  And the check for the royalties due against the understated sales?.. Oh thats in the post... We posted it on 30th May... Well August is nearly over and I still don't have the check. The books that have been gathering dust in Ohio are now supposed to be shipped to me in South Africa, but they cannot find a carrier to handle the shipment. (30 boxes of books??,. C’mon!) only a half wit would believe that. I don't even know if the books were ever printed and I suspect not. After having demanded that they send them to me so that I could take control, one delay has followed another and after two months of wrangling I'm told they're on the way, but guess what?.. They can't find a copy of the waybill or any reference to the consignment. . They also keep ducking my request to provide evidence of their print run.. I wonder why?  Oh YES!!!... I'm angry. I reserve the right to be. I can categorically state without fear of reprisal that the Author Solutions group are publishing predators. They prey on the vulnerability and inexperience of first time authors who are duped into believing their falsehoods.  I would strongly recommend that anyone about to publish, stay very clear of these institutions.  I wish I had.Author House, Xibris, I.Universe and Partridge are all part of the Author Solutions stable and as a victim of their extortionist tactics and unethical business practices, I reserve the right to share my experience with authors on a global scale.  I was assisted in publishing my first book by Author House. I was mega impressed by the speed and efficiency with which the whole process came together. I had paid them a fee, which I considered fair and believed that I had received value.  It took some time for the dawn of reality to emerge and by then I had been suckered in like sheep to the slaughter. Reality being that they're crooks.  Firstly, the ink was barely dry and I got a call from the marketing department telling me what a wonderful book I had written and that it was destined for best seller status, but like any new product. it needed promoting. I was given a glowing resume' of how they had helped obscure authors out of obscurity and into the spotlight of publishing fame. Skeptical I was, but when presented with what they had in mind, I had to admit that it sounded pretty damn good. I invested $ 5,000.00 in the package they offered me and received in return about $ 200.00 in value. What they delivered was planets away from the package I had paid for. What surprised me was the speed with which they offered me a 50% refund when I finally got one of their directors on the phone. They still made a packet out of me without delivering anything that remotely resembled a marketing package. I guess the rapid refund was a gesture designed to shut me up.  Before the dawning of reality, their sales department was onto me..This book is best seller material they said. You just have to have it printed for distribution in the States. It will fly off the shelves and we will actively promote it.. Yeah right!!.. I paid $ 9,500.00 to have 3,000 books printed and immediately the money left my account they went into silent mode. It took me 3 months to get answers as to the status of the books and discovered that they were in a warehouse in Ohio awaiting orders from online booksellers. No active promotion, no flying off shelves, no intention to honor their undertaking.  ROYATY TIME! I received my first royalty statement a month later than it was due, which understated sales that I was aware of by 52 books. When I queried that, I was told to provide evidence of the sales that I was claiming. But the account with online booksellers was in the name of Author House and I could not gain access to the records without the authority of the account holder.. Author House. Would Author House provide me with the required access?. No chance!  And the check for the royalties due against the understated sales?.. Oh thats in the post... We posted it on 30th May... Well August is nearly over and I still don't have the check. The books that have been gathering dust in Ohio are now supposed to be shipped to me in South Africa, but they cannot find a carrier to handle the shipment. (30 boxes of books??,. C’mon!) only a half wit would believe that. I don't even know if the books were ever printed and I suspect not. After having demanded that they send them to me so that I could take control, one delay has followed another and after two months of wrangling I'm told they're on the way, but guess what?.. They can't find a copy of the waybill or any reference to the consignment. . They also keep ducking my request to provide evidence of their print run.. I wonder why?  Oh YES!!!... I'm angry. I reserve the right to be. I can categorically state without fear of reprisal that the Author Solutions group are publishing predators. They prey on the vulnerability and inexperience of first time authors who are duped into believing their falsehoods.  I would strongly recommend that anyone about to publish, stay very clear of these institutions.  I wish I had.
Entity: Internet
Aug 06 2005
1st Books - Now Called Author House ripoff Bloomington Indiana
One of the largest difficulties in being a new author is getting someone to actually publish your work. I BEGAN by submitting my manuscript to 1st Books and getting soaked for $696 to start the publication process. Funny thing, the first thing that 1st book did was print off my manuscript for Hidden Sanctuary and mail off a very poor copy that looked like it had run off on an old style mimeograph machine. I was supposed to review it, make corrections and send it back. Which I did. I got a bill for an hour and a half of labor for a manuscript editing fee at $85.00 per hour. Oh yes, no further work would proceed until it was paid, regardless of the original $696 that I had ALREADY paid! I was forced to pay this ridiculous fee which I do not feel was earned because I had sent the updated manuscript WITH the correction and all they really needed to do was delete one file and put the new one in. Which they did not do because when I received my copies, they had printed the original manuscript with all of the errors still there. When I complained about this, my personal representative, Lucy Davis, suddenly refused to take my calls and I was transferred off to someone else. I had given the book title and publisher's name to a lot of my friends in hopes of sales. I later received a check for $1.45 for royalties, the rate for a single book. Our church has several members who publish books so we had a book signing party. I didn't expect my mother to show up with her copy since she was halfway across the country at the time. But when sixteen other people showed up with books, I knew something was wrong. Repeated request to 1st Books have gone ignored. I wrote and spoke to Brian Maddox at Author House and he also ducked my questions. In the original contract 1st Books agreed to take active promotional actions to promote the book. They have done nothing. Not one place theyu claim they sent press releases admit receiving them. Conveniently, for them, they altered the contracts shoretly after my book had been published and now refuse to honor the contract. Thier loophole is that as 1st Books they might have been required to honor the contract, but as Author House, they now evidently feel that they don't have to honor the contract. But then they never did before. It's up to you, but under any name be it 1st Books or Author House, these people are unscrupulous, disreputable, unreliable and dishonest. I won't do anymore business with them and you shouldn't either! Anybody out there know an HONEST publisher? I'm still looking because I have three manuscripts ready to go and nowhere to send them. By the way I contacted our local and state prosecutors and they refused assistance. I guess fraud and deception aren't worthy of their efforts unless it grabs big headlines. Funny thing, I thought I lived in America. Is THIS how Americans are supposed to treat other Americans? Decide for yourself! Dan Grantville, KansasU.S.A.
Entity: Blooington, Indiana