AUTHORHOUSE PUBLISHING COMPANY Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: authorhouse publishing company

There may be more reports for "authorhouse publishing company"

For more results perform a general search for "authorhouse publishing company"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Mar 09 2009
Authorhouse Asked to desist from selling my book and they still are selling it via internet and bookstores London Office And Indiana
I've Instructed Authorhouse in writing on the 10th December, to remove my book title 'Why Can't I Speak' from the marketplace immediately. I also instructed Authorhouse to desist from selling my book via the Internet or making the book available to any other booksellers / agents. Authorhouse advised me that I had total rights on this book as I paid for its creation and production. However, Authorhouse have failed to comply with my request and later sent me an email to say that I have to sign 'Author Cancellation Form' I had also requested written confirmation that Authorhouse have complied with this request. I wrote them the same email on the 10th of December of 2008 and this was not been done. However, I found Authorhouse representative very rude and cutting in London office. Initially, I was told that I only paid for it's creation and that it would be print on demand and if I wanted to make the book available to bookstores that i would have to pay for a separate package. I was on standstill when I read that the book seems to be available abroad and was wondering who is pocketing the money on this. Help? Barbara Dublin 8Ireland Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Publishers Business Services
Entity: London Office And Indiana USA, Nationwide
Jun 01 2011
Authorhouse I haven't received royalties from AuthorHouse inspite of the fact that I'm finding my book all over the web and being sold overseas even. Internet
I saw another report here on the Ripoff report about AuthorHouse that was similar to my same complaint against the company. Now I had a book published with them back in 2005 called 'Mound Bayou'. At first I was taking their word for it that no copies of the book had been sold for I was well aware that books from vanity presses often didn't sell many copies. But then I started doing some research and saw that my book was being sold overseas in England, France, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, and as far away as India even Japan. On another booksite my book was listed amongst the top 500 best sellers in my genre of books for 2006! Yet AuthorHouse's claim was that I was not selling any books! Then I started seeing 'used' copies of my book being sold all over the net! Also I might add that the books being sold overseas were at a much higher retail price than here in the states. I also found evidence that my book was part of a college curriculum in England and was even being used at Harvard here in the States! I brought this to their attention yet they claim that no books were sold and didn't even try to answer the question of why USED copies were being sold if no copies had been sold! They still haven't answered this question but they somehow have money to acquire other publishing houses. Well, you'd think I'd learned and I thought I had for my next book I used Xlibris for I have built up a name and expected some good sales to come out of this next venture. But guess what: Authorhouse acquired the rights to Xlibris earlier this year. Well, I can't stand it anymore and I'm not going to take it! My current book 'Cricket Man' started off pretty good overseas again yet according to them no books have been sold and yet again I'm already finding USED copies being sold and finding my book on just about every site my other book is on and being sold too! I'm like others out there, AuthorHouse is cheating us out of our royalties that's why they have so much money to expand and grow acquiring iUniverse and Xlibris and we need to come together and sue them! But this goes beyond even that for AuthorHouse has been doing this for so long that a Federal government investigation needs to be started immediately! I'm hoping someone out there can help us get this thing started because AuthorHouse has robbed me twice and many others who knows how many times! Hopefully we can get this thing started and get some of our money back before they disappear to Rio or somewhere!
Feb 28 2012
Authorhouse Author Solutions BREACH OF CONTRACT , Internet
Authorhouse claims that a writer can receive a refund, minus $300, for publishing packages, providing your book has not gone to publishing yet.  After hearing their pricing structure, I elected to discontinue my association with Authorhouse, which I did in writing via email per their request.  I was told I would receive a refund of $1199 withing 6-8 business days.  However, after 8 business days with no refund, I began to contact the appropriate parties at Authorhouse with nothing but a run-around! 12 days and counting! Authorhouse continues to pass me off to different employees that do not answer their phone, or return messages. AVOID AUTHORHOUSE!!!  AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!!!!!!
Sep 07 2010
Authorhouse Royalty Ripoff Bloomington, Indiana
  To my utter misfortune, I became acquainted and started to use the services offered by 1stBooks publishers now known as Authorhouse, and published my first two books in 2003. At the time, I detected no problem with their services and accepted that being my work was academic, would not sell many copies. I decided to publish my third book with them, a large 2 volume edition in 2008, and due to the reviews and publicity received, and the professors that contacted me personally, I became fully aware of the university libraries and public libraries who processed my work into their establishments, or were interested in my work. However, I noticed the first major discrepancy in their promises was that if I turned my manuscript in within a certain time frame, I would receive fourteen free copies of my work when it was printed. I e-mailed my text, and mailed my contract via snail-mail two weeks before the deadline, I know it arrived on timeI live in Europe, and mail does not take longer than 4 to 8 days to arrive in the US, however, they could not honour the free copy agreement as they hadn't received the contracts on time. They never mentioned the agreement included receiving the contracts, just the manuscript. I received just my usual free review copy of each volume. I decided to let the matter go. Then, they have a very careless attitude with other aspects of their services. For example, their Press Wire program that sends your Press Release electronically to 14,000 media outlets. Where did I find my academic books being promoted? In the financial sections of these media outlets, and not to my target audience found in the academic, history, biography, or even literature, areas. (I also discovered my university level academic book on classical music categorised as a children's book.) However, the major problems developed with royalty accounting. I began keeping a record of the copies available of my new two-volume work at Amazon US, UK, Canada, and their Marketplace vendors. (This is practically the only way you can discern how many books may be selling in the public domain.) Considering this is Print On Demand, when a number of available copies drops, you can expect it to be a sale since stores have no reason to keep raising and dropping the numbers unless they make a sale and then re-list the book. (For the record, I withdrew all my publications from Authorhouse June 14th 2010.) Authorhouse's numbers were way below the daily tallies I kept from the Amazon numbers, they only reported between 10% and maybe up to 20% of the sales on any given quarter. Today for example, I received the worst report yet: they reported only 1 copy of Volume One sold in the second quarter (April 1 to June 14th, the time I withdrew my publications from them), and only 3 copies for Volume 2. According to my numbers from the Amazon rankings and marketplace sellers in the US, Canada and UK: 28 copies of Volume 1 sold, and 27 of Volume 2. Therefore they have reported only 4% of the sales, and they obviously are pocketing the rest. And this does not include other sales that may have been made through other sellers like Barnes and Noble, etc. However, there is no way to be compensated for these discrepancies, Authorhouse demands you provide receipts of all sales as proof of your claimhow on earth do you track such receipts? Authorhouse knows it's an impossibility. Of course, Nielsen Book Scan offers sales report services, but you cannot use them to reclaim royalties, or display or disclose your sales report to any third party as Nielsen deems such action a breach of trademark confidentiality and would possible incur a lawsuit. The simplest answer would be to cancel all contracts with Authourhouse, but this is not as easy as they make it out to be. To date, they continue to reassure me my books are no longer in print, but as I have discovered today (September 7), they are still listed with UK wholesale distributors as available within 5 days as Print on Demand, so they are technically still available by Authorhouse illegally. 1st Books / Authorhouse in my estimation is the most disreputable company allowed to carry on a business offering a sham service to the public, robbing authors of the fruits of their labours. Surely they are required to have a business license to operate as all other businesses? How can any state issue a license and continue to allow such a rogue business like this to continue? They are operating on such a large scale, and if they are doing this to every author, then one must consider the possibility they are committing grand larceny on a massive scale. They claim to have thousands of authors with their company. Authors Beware: if you are considering publishing your book using Print On Demand, stay well away from this company. Even if they paid all the royalties, they do little or nothing to help promote your work, but expect you to pay additional hundreds and even thousands for various promotion packages that provide little if no results. For those of you poor authors who now hold a contract with Authorhouse publishing your work, my sympathies go out to all of you.
May 09 2010
'authorhouse' Eugene Hopkins. Tim Davies, Dean Shah Internet
AUTHORHOUSE  ILLEGAL  SCAM  UNCOVERED. Last year Tony Liddicoat sacked 'authorhouse publishing company' who he had paid handsomely for publishing his book, Five Bells ~ Job Done.  A  Divers Story.     During his association with them  he  published his book which became very well received and  reviewed  by over 25 major journals around the world. The  RRP of the book was 9.90. For each book sold he received  1,88. Authorhouse kept the remainder,[8. 11] This went on for over a year before he realised something must be wrong. When serious outlets asked to sell the book, they were told by 'authorhouse' that they had to pay the RRP,  which of course meant they could not earn any money at all. He  learnt about the outlets discount for  new books which range between 35% and  65% of the  RRP. Tony Liddicoat was informed by 'authorhouse' that if he wished for his books to be sold by major outlets then there was  a fee payable,[approx 500 annually, for each outlet,!]]He could not afford to do this and continued being paid  the 1,88 per copy,  During this time he was lied to, his private mail was intercepted and opened and  his  requests for clarification to 'authorhouse ' were ignored.He then re printed his book with a new ISBN number and published the book himself. He is now the only legal publisher of his book and has been for over a year, However even though he received assurances from 'authorhouse' that they would  stop selling and supplying the book, his books were still being  printed,advertised and sold without his knowledge  or consent. He realised this when he received unexpected 'royalties' [ in itself a rarity  without having to chase them] The royalties were for books sold by 'Amazon'who had been given the pdf file of the book by authorhouse, to print their own copies and sell them  on demand or when they wanted. [Without the Authors knowledge or permission ] The 'royalties' offered were the 1,88 per book. Which means that the cosy little arrangement between 'Authorhouse' and 'Amazon' where they print and sell their own copies and were quite happy to give the author 1.88 per copy and  keep the remainder for themselves. Now this is against the law. When he contacted 'authorhouse and asked what on earth is going on. he was told that it was human error and he has no cause for complaint as I had  been paid the pittance of 1.88 per book. This  information is being forwarded to the legal authorities in the UK and every blog site  known, enable the unsuspecting to know just how  'authorhouse 'operate. It is a scam and if you multiply this by the 60,000 authors they say they have 'published' then it is a huge sum. BE WARNED  ~ BE ADVISED. If any individual knows of a legal help hotline please get in touch.
Jan 05 2013
Authorhouse Author Solutions gross misrepresentation Bloomington, Indiana
Having previously published 5 books with McGraw Hill and Princeton University Press, I am not a novice in working with publishing houses. However, dealing with Authorhouse with my 6th book was by far my most frustrating, unproductive and disappointing interaction with a publishing company. After 6-months of exchanges with their incompetent, inexperienced, confused, and mismanaged personnel, I filed a claim in Multnomah County, Oregon Circuit Court and won a judgment against Authorhouse. On October 11, 2012 (Case # 120023259S) I was awarded a full refund of my monies, plus a fine and 9% interest levied against Authorhouse. After three months, they still refuse to pay the judgment against them. Now I am pursuing collections litigation against Authorhouse at their Bloomington, Indiana headquarters. The following is a recap of my Oregon court complaint against Authorhouse: 1. Authorhouse grossly misrepresented its technical capabilities and abilities of its personnel to produce a work product in a timely fashion and of acceptable quality. 2. Authorhouse staff repeatedly ignored directives and instructions given by Author. 3. Authorhouse repeatedly failed in its attempts to create a working document from a PDF-formatted manuscript provided by Author.  During the period of contract negotiations, Authorhouse made false claims and representations that a PDF-formatted manuscript provided by the Author would greatly enhance their ability to produce a book in a timely fashion and that would reduce the likelihood of errors. When, in fact, Author did provide Authorhouse with a manuscript in PDF-format, Authorhouse staff was incapable of utilizing a manuscript delivered in this fashion. 4. Authorhouse reneged on its commitment to allow Author to establish the retail price of the book. 5. The paperback version of the book produce by Authorhouse in May 2012 contained hundreds of print-quality flaws, rendering a work product  unacceptable to Author. 6. Authorhouse failed to produce a hardcopy version of the book with a cover that was of acceptable quality. 7. Authorhouse failed to produce an e-version of the book. Before you do business with Authorhouse, I suggest you access the Better Business Bureau website http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/ and note the 343 complaints registered against this company. Or, you can call the Indiana chapter of the Better Business Bureau at 317-488-2222.
Apr 15 2011
iUniverse Author House - AuthorHouse - Xlibris - Bertram Capital Management - Author Solutions - Trafford Publishing - Wordclay DANGER! BEWARE! FRAUD! and let's not forget CLASS ACTION Internet
I sat in the Bada Bing today and thought about this awful situation for a long time. The corporate officers and certain employees of these entities deserve to be pictured in handcuffs on the front page of every significant newspaper in the world, and featured on American Greed, Dateline, and 60 Minutes, to name only a few.All due respect...The masterminds behind this flimflam printing operation should get no respect, no more money from the public, and significant incarceration. They know perfectly well what they're doing and what they have done to an unsuspecting public. In order to not let them get away with it, each one of you who had money stolen by iUniverse and its other incarnations needs to step up and join a class action lawsuit and not keep saying that someone else ought to do it. They are not going to go away unless you join to do something. Stop feeling powerless.(((Redacted))) CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Apr 07 2007
AuthorHouse Publishers Problems with Correcting Manuscript and Cover Galleys Bloomington Indiana
There are still problems with Author House Publishers in Bloomington, Indiana. I just published my mother's second book of poetry through AuthorHouse. It was finally done March 21st. I sent them a perfect printed-out manuscript, with everything also perfectly done on CD-ROM. When the design consultant contacted me, I had to explain several times in the phone conversation that my mother had died and that her closest friend from New York City and I were publishing the book of poetry. My mother, in her lifetime, won 65 awards in national poetry contests and wrote at least 300 poems, many of which have never been published in book form. So we are doing this as a posthumous project. Lo and behold, he obviously did not understand who wrote the poems because when I got the galleys, my mother's name was completely LEFT OFF the cover. It looked like my mom's friend and I wrote the poems, which we did not. The book was finally done, but only after I paid $50 to correct some cover mistakes. Also, when my mother's friend contacted them only yesterday (April 3, 2007), to order 30 copies of the book and get the author discount, since her name is on the cover as one of the editors, the phone representative got very confused. She did not understand who wrote the book and said, There are just so many names on this!. Surely it should not be that hard to understand that this is a posthumously published volume of poems from an award-winning poet, edited by her daughter and a close friend of the family. I would recommend that anyone looking to self-publish choose another publisher unless you want to spend time correcting a lot of mistakes which should never happened in the first place. We will definitely use another publisher the next time. Suzanne Thorndale, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Oct 26 2008
Author House Hook ya on price, then skin n fry'em Bloomington Indiana
Got my book published with Author House. FINALLY!?? Thought and asked several times was $799 going to be my final price, with out any printed books of course(those are priced according # in one production run). I was told yes, thats all it takes for the production). Got just hammered by another sales/marketing man, Convinced me, that I had to have this, that, and these promotional items. Newspaper adds, etc.. I bought in to way more than what I bargained for. For the almost 6,000 my marketing rep said it was a GREAT plan. I sold more books self-promoting and doing my OWN book signs, than I did on the 6,000 investment. I wont even start about the pains of working with their publishing consultants, or their production team?? ehhh.. Nightmare and they stuck me with more production charges(on a finished script, already professionally edited.. Nickel and dime you to death, thats all they do. Book quality was OK; however, follow up and ordering books, is still a f'n pain. Was going to do book two with them, but even with the discount the headaches alone drove me to another publisher(self). Be careful out there as well in the Self Pub arena, Author Solutions(the parent company to Author House), owns a great deal of the industry. From word of mouth its just the same repackaged junk. Sue NY, New YorkU.S.A.
May 22 2017
Authorhouse VERY poor quality product, over priced, dishonest, scam Nationwide
 I paid for authorhouse services before I knew what I was doing- the perfect candidate for a scam. Since then, I've learned a lot about self-publishing and would not make this mistake again. It so happens that I paid for the services four years before I finished my first book. I discovered they didn't format children's books the way I wanted so I researched further and decided to print my first book through IngramSpark. All self publishing companies have things that will be disappointing or frustrating for an indie author, and Ingram had theirs, but I think the quality of the product is far superior, and the cost is super low. I was happy with the finished Ingram product and was propelled to finish my second story just eight months later. This is when I decided to use the authorhouse package I paid for years earlier. My husband formatted both of my books. He has a graphic design background and a knack for researching everything needed to make something perfect. He also knew what was needed in order for the book to be printed. We kept asking for specs and my coordinator either didn't respond to my emails, or sent the most vague answers, so I had to email her four times before I finally got barely enough info for him to format my book. So the files were ready to go and gorgeous. I did all my own illustrations and I was so pleased with how he formatted everything. Authorhouse quickly approved the files and informed me my book would retail for 20.99!!!! What?! A paperback?? For $21?? I asked what my cost would be and they still haven't answered that question. Little background on my experience with Ingram. I was super disappointed with the cost of my book through Ingram and I had to make it that high or ice be paying them to print my book. But it was still within industry standards. 17.99 for a hardcover. Fair enough. Then I ended up finding another print company that would print them for 2.66 per book. I ordered 1,000 and the quality was gorgeous. Back to authorhouse, where my paperback was going to be priced at $21 a pop. I complained. They told me it was priced per page. I quoted industry standards and shared my comparisons and they didn't even answer my email. The book went to print. I just approved it because I felt their was little debating I could do and it was a package I'd already paid for so I thought I may as well see my book in print. It would also be on ebook so I thought maybe that would be redeeming. Then came the marketing and book signing designs. Granted, I'm an artist and so is my husband, and we design all of our own stuff... but these are supposed to be professionals so I expected a really decent design. It was awful. Embarrassingly awful. My image was sideways on the card and the design so basic it was clear no one tried to even make it acceptable. They repeated the design behind my design, so it was distracting and terrible. I emailed them the simplest corrections I could translate through email because I was so exasperated, but had no plans to use them in my marketing, they were that bad. Finally, I receive a copy of my book in the mail- long anticipated... the quality of the book looked like it was done on a home printer. Bear in mind that I had two great comparisons- both Ingram and the print company I had used, and this look like it was printed on a machine running out of ink or worse. The images were faded, grainy, and blurred on paper that was one step above newsprint. It was awful. Kinkos could've done a better job. I was furious. I don't know why I had any hopes for better after the quality of everything else. I am still in the process of trying to convince them their product is so below standard they should be embarrassed and they've had me talk to so many people that it's confusing who's who and what their status in the company is. They had me email them scans of the pages, and then tried to tell me the color was the same! I immediately disagreed and told them they should know better. I created those images on the latest technology with print true color, and shared with them my previous publishing experience and products. All they would do is tell me they would send me another copy, but I don't trust that their print on demand services to create a product that my customers would be happy with, especially for the outrageous price of $21. And they STILL have not disclosed what my royalties will be per book. I want a full refund. There are zero services that they offer worth paying $1000 for. They're in the business of scamming people who don't know any better like the naive person I was four years ago when I paid for this malarkey. You can pay Ingram $49 for all the same services minus authorhouse's awful marketing designs.
Entity: Nationwide
Mar 25 2014
AuthorHouse AuthorHouse took $4,000 and never delivered anything Bloomington Indiana
AuthorHouse has stolen from me. I paid them $4,000 in late November, 2013 to edit my manuscript, and until this day they have not delivered anything. I filed a claim for credit with American Express, but the company responded that I had violated their cancellation policy. In other words, they claim that I cancelled a contract just because I was trying to get my money back!    Can someone tell me what are my choices at this point? Can they get away with keeping my money without delivering the services they promised to deliver? Is this not blatant theft? Thanks   O.E. Diaz
Mar 30 2010
Authorhouse Publishers ripoff they took my money to publish book, their check bounced, they put in on ebay as generic with different cover Blomington Indiana
i had Moments in Time (poetry book) published. I paid them eleven hundred dollars for it. I had to have my son do the cover as they were terrible. Still had to pay for the cover later. They have sold over 100 books to my friends on the Poetry Workshop, relatives, and friends. They have it on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble. They sent me a four dollar check and it bounced. I had to pay the bank more than the check. Now it is on ebay as a generic form with my ISBN numbers in a red cover, not mine. it is half price. They didn't ask me or anything. They were called First Books, then changed their names to AuthorHouse. I have contacted them, they will not get back to me other than saying I sold four books. that is a crock. What can I do? I want it off of ebay, I didn't say they could do that. Ruth palm beach gardens, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Blomington, Indiana
Feb 17 2003
JMW Publishing Company ripoff Internet Worldwide
These people offer you a chance to have your poetry published for the price of 3 or 5 books which is fourty dollars.COMPLETE RIP OFF!!! They don't send you anything! Sarah Tulsa, OklahomaU.S.A.
Feb 18 2011
AuthorHouse rip-off, scam, bait-and-switch, books, book, publisher, fraud Bloomington, Indiana
AuthorHouse is a SCAM. They use Bait-and-Switch tactics and downright lies. Stay away from them! My problem could have been worse.  I got out before getting seriously screwed - and will hopefully get my $$ back.  Here's the abbreviated version: So a salesperson by the name of Kathryn calls me after filling out an online form, tells me I can get my 1st photography book published by AuthorHouse for $1700 in a POD arrangement - and they'll throw in another book for free. (the standard arrangement these days, it seems) We discuss the arrangments in detail. # of images, # of pages, etc. No changes in price, no issues. So I sign up. Pay them 1/3 down & get a confirmation. Then a call from Jeff. Soon to be my best buddy in getting my book published. Yay! But wait! Jeff says I only get 50 images set for the package price. Anything over that is $10.00 each. NFW! That almost doubles the price of my book - and no one up till now has made a peep about extra charges. So days go by. I leave at least 6 messages for Jeff, his boss Steve, Kathryn (the initial liar I spoke with) and Kevin's assistant, Vicky. Every time I call, I'm told whomever I'm calling for is at lunch. No response to voicemails. No response to emails. Seems like as soon as I called them on their bait-and-switch tactics I was persona non grata. These people are clearly a complete rip-off and I wish I'd researched them more thoroughly. I recommend filing a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General if you feel they've screwed you. I have.
40, Report #762005
Aug 07 2011
Authorhouse Solutions Mr Kevin Weiss Eugene Hopkins Knowingly deceived me Bloomington, Other
Authorhouse pestered me to publish my book with them which I did, after publication serious errors were made by all the house which were eventually amended. Second publication appeared, shortly after its appearance I was contacted by Eugene Hopkins who knowingly led me to believe he was in the legal department. My book was about failures within the legal system in the UK, of professional negligence committed by my legal representatives, who had entered the wrong name on the original document headed Statement of Claim, and further causing my claim to be struck out as the time limitation had expired. I was informed by Eugene Hopkins they were withdrawing my book on legal grounds, and a refund was given. 12 months later discovered despite international Copyright my book was still being sold and the royalties were being pocketed by Author House,  I would suggest it is time for companies such as Authorhouse Solutions be closed immediately, they pretend to be publishers, offer you incentives merely to obtain your work, from which they receive a very nice income I retaining your royalties, better known as theft of publishers rights. Would suggest all those who have been exploited as myself Unite against this company and engage a top firm of International Solicitors/Lawyers to former Kitty to take on legally this company, of which I am prepared to head, anyone needing to contact me please do so.Roger
Entity: Bloomington, Select State/Province
Mar 29 2009
AuthorHouse Paid royaltie 3 times during the first 2 years after that no more . Bloomington Indiana
AuthorHouse paid me 3 royalties for the first 2 years. after that no more. It has been five years now. Raymond Rockford, IllinoisU.S.A.
Sep 18 2010
Xlibris/Authorhouse Not Reporting Royalties Bloomington, Indiana
I have a self-published book listed with Xlibris/Authorhouse, and according to their records my book is not selling.  Pertaining to this, I can accept the fact that my book might-not be selling.  But, what I have a problem with: is that a reader (outside the United States) made contact with me to express how much he had enjoyed reading my book.  For me, a red flag went up because-over the years-others had informed that they had purchased the book, also.  Yet, my royalty statement(s) did not indicate any sales.  Two years of this!  Finally, this year, I made contact with Xlibris to question my online royalty statement and I was told, What is listed online is the true amount of books sold.  With that, I asked about the missing $2.00 royalty that should have been posted as the result of the reader mentioned who had reported that he enjoyed the book.  Next, I was asked, How did he get the book?  I was asked this question because the rep did claim there was no record of the sale.  I did ask myself, If Xlibris is maintaining...no record of sale for that book purchased, how many other sales might there be that I don't know about?  On this same day, I spoke with another rep to request a sales statement.  (I was promised that the report would be sent to me via email.)  I am still waiting, Xlibris...  I-still-have the same email address. Two days later, something strange did happen.  When I checked my online royalty statement, there was that missing sale posted.  This spooked me to believe: all of the bad things I have read about Xlibris/Authorhouse might be true.  Stealing; changing sales reports and ignoring requests-as the request I had made for the sales report. The rep of Xlibris did tell me that they only handle sale-tracking for my book on Amazon.com. I did question who is in charge of tracking sales for the so...so many web pages my book is listed.  Xlibris said they would conduct an investigation because they didn't know about this, and it should not be.  (I did insist that they search the web to view what I did.)  My book is listed with the following book pages: E bay; E campus; Indiaplaza; QBD; Glendora Books; Abe; Books-A-Million; Tower; Nbcindia; CDWow; the Nile; Dealtime; Yasni; Play.com; Flipkart; Next Tag; Epinions; Buy.com; Books Express; Unread; Loot.co.za; Booksplus; Buecheride; Bol.it; Libreriauniversitaria; Biblio; Booktopia; Library Thing; Agitateur de Curiosite; Krisistomus; BookFinder 40; CDON,com; Scribbly Gum Books, and Book Army-just to mention a few.  I don't have an issue with my book being listed with these pages, but Xlibris is saying, It isn't so.  If there are no sales, why are used copies of my book posted.?  Is there something I am not understanding?  And according to Biblio, there are 30 new copies in stock.  Also, with Ecampus, my book is up for rent.  And the odd thing with that is: Xlibris is not listed as the publisher.  (Another publisher is listed.)  Xlibris, I am still waiting for that report... In conclusion, my book is listed on the web-threading from Japan; Africa; Italy; France and Ireland.  And Xlibris/Authorhouse is reporting not-one-single-sale!!!! I read a complaint-once-where the CEO of a publishing house had stated, We can't resolve these royalty issues, because the authors won't list their names.  They must be making up stories and that is why they hide.  Here I am, Baby...Darlene Black/Necromancy   It is..what it is!! *My book has several errors, but Xlibris created them.  When I had asked Xlibris to correct the errors, they wanted money to do so.
43, Report #1202793
Jan 19 2015
AuthorHouse AuthorSolutions, iUniverse In violation of RICO laws for racketeering in the USA Bloomington Indiana
This company presented as a wonderful asset for the first half of my experience: hard working minions in the Philipines, most likely being paid nothing and working 14 hours a day.  It then progressed to total rip off: Pressure to sell me books while telling me I would get only a few hardcovers and soft covers.  Telling me I was getting a HUGE discount on additional books.  Then shipping me more books than I have space for (and they're still coming). Misrepresentation, gross fraud: telling me I was chosen because my book was so unique, so wonderful, to be reviewed in the sixth (LAST SLOT AVAILABLE) review of books for Reader's Digest a worldwide publication. I then discovered that Reader's Digest filed for bankruptcy in 2013 and stopped all publication except for North America; also, the only review of books is done by a freelancer and includes only books on the NY Times best seller list, or famous published authors.  This is called FRAUD and, in the United States of America, deliberately representing a service which is NOT actually available, and taking or soliciting money for that service, is called RACKETEERING and is punishable under the Federal RICO law.
Dec 21 2013
ECKO PUBLISHING Aardvark Global Publishing IS SALT LAKE CITY COMPANY RIPPING OFF SELF-PUBLISHING AUTHORS??‏ Sandy Utah
Back in September of 2012 I published a book with ECKO titled “The Ignorance of Faith”.  During the following months it was published in 5 different language editions, first in Spanish, then English, Portuguese, French and German. There is no transparency of Independent Author´s sales at ECKO.  In other words, no records of sales are offered to Authors.  If one insists eventually they might send a sales report, but with no sales, or little sales, probably underreported.  One day I asked: How I am sure these reported sales are true and honestly reported? Their reply was: “If we were not honest, we would not be in business long”. The fact seems to be that when the bull hits the fan, they close operations, and -soon later- return with another company name.  They used to be called Aardvark (if it is correct what I found in several RIPOFF reports, on the internet). Their address is secretive, only a P. O. Box in Sandy, UT.  One day, when I was going to start business with them, a lady by the name Samantha talked to me. However, Samantha seems to be several people, I found out that William Kramer is now acting as such “Samantha”. Email request for report on sales are not answered anymore.  Have warned them -months ago- that I might initiate legal action.  Yet, no replies from them, totally undeterred.  I ordered some of my books myself, to see if those would be reported, and proceeds from sales sent to me, but that was not the case. In a couple of occasions “Samantha” indicated she was going to make a PayPal deposit, but it was never done.  In more than one year that all 5 books have been available in Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and their own books sales (ECKO Books) only a deposit of $50 was made to PayPal on my behave, and that was back in January of 2013.  Not to be repeated ever again! Searching on the internet I found complaints about them. I sent an email -including those negative reports to them- indicating that it was my ultimatum.  Proper sales reports or I would go to the FBI, and other consumer Agencies.  No communication at all since then.  A few months ago, I paid for a revision in one of the book, which had some printing defects that I noticed. They –supposedly- processed the changes, and indicated to me that within a few weeks the new version would be available in the sales channels.   I allowed 3 months to pass by, and then ordered the book, only to find out that they have not made the changes requested. Took the money but did not do anything to the book. There are many self-publishers out there, and a few of them -I fear- might be fraudulent. It is quite easy to publish books, amass an inventory of thousands of books from small authors, and do not pay them.  They might get significant revenue streams from random sales of this bunch of books, but for the Authors, he or she would not have a way to know if his/her books are selling at all.  And it might be reasonable for them to think that there might have not been any sales at all.  It is a matter of pure trust in your Self-Publisher, no trace of sales, no accountability to their authors, no transparency. Utility companies send you a monthly statement, regardless of monthly use of service,… not these companies! I did contact Amazon to see if they could help, informing me on the sales of my books, but in some way they are their accomplices, because they only inform the publishing houses on sales, and not the Authors.  Only those Authors with Amazon´s own self-publishing (CreateSpace) have access to that sales information.  My guess is that it is so easy to hide sales from Autors, that the whole industry might be a rip-off (not just ECKO, but the temptation is there for many others: Lulu, Xlibris,..). It is imperative that the FBI, or somebody with jurisdiction in this matter, verifies the records with  Amazon and Barnes & Noble (the typical sales venues for this industry) and corroborates that payments are made to Authors by the self-publishing companies. THIS IS AMERICA, NOT SOME BANANA REPUBLIC OF THE THIRD WORLD!!
Entity: Sandy, Utah
Jul 28 2008
Dorrance Publishing Company deceptive - lost $15,000.00 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Dear Sirs, Dorrance Publishing Company list in the Yellow Pages as a legitimate 85 years publishing company, providing subsidy publishing for what turned out to be $15,000.00. The hype at the outset is that your book is a viable, sellable product, capable of selling millions, only to receive on one $10.00 check from books sales. From 2004 to 2007. In April 2006, the book listed on the website. To date, one year later, upon my inquiring 07/25/08, they removed the book from their home page, as they have been continually selling the book and not providing me with royalties. As it stands, they have never paid royalties, but continue to list it on amazon and with at least three different bookstores. They have taken my identify and my book, and they receive royalties. The contract term as run, and I have been ripped off, as they continue to list and sell my copyright. Belinda chattanooga, TennesseeU.S.A.
Entity: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Dec 02 2012
XLIBRIS Publishing Company SCAM Publishers Bloomington, Indiana
After spending 2+ years putting together my late stepfather's WWII memoir, including photos, captions, dialogue and researching other unit members who were motion photographers during the Italian Campaign and served with him, I was very happy that the promise I made to Burke that I would publish his book I was able to fulfill.  THAT was my dream. Now for my nightmare -- From start to finish, dealing with Xlibris! We purchased the top of the line package deal which pretty much included everything. Their editors can't spell and we spent HOURS correcting their edits! The quality of the paperbacks -- we ordered hard cover and paperbacks -- was despicable!!! Pages torn, stuck together, words missing, the cover was urine-yellow -- they misspelled the author's names on the binding as well as the front cover, no returned phone calls, being brushed off constantly by their manager, we had to send boxes of our books back several times with post-it notes showing where they screwed up -- we still have boxes left of books we're too embarrassed to sell or even GIVE away because the quality of their publishing and printing STINKS big time! Like the other complaints against Xlibris, my royalties wouldn't even buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks! Meanwhile, Xlibris, Amazon, online book sellers and other venues have made mega bucks and I've seen next to nothing in any royalties. I recently received a check for $3. Whoopee!!! As an author who spent over $5,000 from start to finish at Xlibris, I haven't even come close to half of what I paid.  Dealing with Xlibris was a total nightmare!  I reported them to the Better Business Bureau a few times but never got anywhere. So author beware...Xlibris is only out for themselves!
Oct 15 2012
American Publishing Company case in progress... Minnesota
I was sent a text today, saying that they were trying to contact me about a $250 gift card to walmart. I vaguely remember entering a contest for something like that, so I called the number. They offered me five magazines for five years, saying they're trying to circulate magazines in my area. The text had woken me up, so I wasn't quite awake enough to catch the subtle signs of a scam - first they said the magazines were free, then said it would be only $3.99, which I assumed was a processing fee. Then they said it would be $17 and some change every month, then went to $34.58 every month, but that price would pay for two months at a time, meaning I would only have to pay it for the first half of the subscription period and the rest of the period I could just relax and enjoy the magazines. It still sounded like a decent deal, so I went ahead with it. They said the first payment would be made immediately, but since they don't allow multiple payments within the same 20 day period, my next payment wouldn't be until December 1st. They were very very nice, and thus I was persuaded easily. Then I read the reports on here, and immediately I called their customer service number to cancel. The first guy who picked up sounded like he was about to cry before I'd even said anything. I told them that I had to cancel because I had taken another look at my finances and I wouldn't be able to afford it. I wasn't looking to start any conflict, I just wanted my subscription cancelled. So he transferred me to another person, who also sounded upset, but told me he'd cancelled my account. It seems way too easy though, he didn't ask for a confirmation on anything. I said, I need to cancel my subscription. He said, Can I ask if we did anything to change your mind? I said, No, I was just looking at my finances again and realized I couldn't afford it. He said, Alright, I took care of it. I said, It's cancelled? He said, Yep. Then we ended the conversation. Honestly if not for the reports on here I would not have caught the scam. They still got my first payment, because I was feeling way too badly for the guy to ask for a refund. Honestly, if all your associates on your customer service line sound like their dog just died... that says something about the job conditions. I'm actually worried about the employees' wellbeing, in addition to my own concerns. The name of the account that took the first payment from my bank account appears as MagazinesXXXXXXXXXMNXXXXXXXXXXXX9721 and the customer service number was 1-888-906-0162. The number that sent the original text was 1-800-340-0539.
Entity: , Minnesota
Oct 22 2013
LEGACY PUBLISHING COMPANY NO REFUND Internet
FILLED UP THE SURVEY, NEVER RECIVED THE REFUND, CALLED AND FIND OUT THAT THERE WAS MISSING A ONE WORD ON THE SURVEY , I DID STILL HAVE TIME TO SEND IT BACK, BUT I WAS NOT INFORMED THAT THIS HAPPEN UNTIL WAS TO LATE, BEVEARE !!!!! THAT HOW THIS COMPANY MAKES MONEY LOST OVER 360$ I WILL STILL TRY TO DESPIUTE THE TRANSACTION IN MY BANK , HOPE IT WILL WORK
Sep 28 2011
Xlibris Publishing Company Xlibris Publishing is a scamming company Bloomington, Indiana
my complaint has also been filed with the following: Indiana Better Business Bureau ID 7983707  09/15/2009  Arizona Attorney General consumer complaints RE: CIC-16764 Apx. Sept 2009,Indiana Attorney General RE: File No. 09-cp-60726  Sept. 26, 2009 ABC-15 ivestigator Joe Ducey Apx June 2010. The BBB accomplished nothing and I am assuming that it is still being investigated by the others.I've sense read other complaints regarding Xlibris through Writer Beware Blogs, facebook, and Ripoff Report and they all sound pretty much like my complaint.     Originally I contacted Xlibris for publishing information. They sent me the information in packet form through the US mail. From that point on they called me from one to three times a month checking to see if I was ready to publish. Eventually I sent them my manuscript and I made another book over the next few weeks. After a few weeks they called me,we discussed publishing packages and I agreed to go with one of their packages and sent them the manuscript for my other new book to examine. They seemed to know what they were doing and to be concerned about my books progress through their process. When my books were nearly through the publishing/printing process I began getting phone calls from their marketing people. I didn't want any additional maraketing packages but Miguel Guzeman kept calling and encouraging and influencing and promissing large book sales. He asssured me that he had people who were interested in my books and that he would have them in major book stores before the Christmas Hollidays 2008. He promissed that he would sale copies of my books to atleast three percent of the recipiants of a 3 million email marketaing campaign ad encouraged me to purch the returnability package as it would increase the chances of my books being in Book Stores. t this date Xlibris reports that Amazon sold 3 copies of one of my books. There were also some quality issues. When my books did not show up in book stores and there were no reports of sales Miguel Guzman of their marketing Dept kept calling and calling trying to get me to spend even more money.That went on for a lon time and finally I put my foot down hard to him eventually getting him to stop calling. However others in that company called frequently continueing to try to get more money out of me. Those calls slowed down but did not completyely stop untill I changed my phone a few months ago. Xlibris has 12,716 dollars of my money and it literely destroyed my plans for a somewhat better life style than what I have today. Their scamming has hurt me severely.    If you would like, I can put together a copy of my original complaint with my complete explanataion, and evidence to support my complaint and send it to you via US Mail.

Showing 26-50 | Showing Page 2 of 7,542