AUTHORHOUSE PUBLISHING Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: authorhouse publishing

There may be more reports for "authorhouse publishing"

For more results perform a general search for "authorhouse publishing"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Apr 15 2011
iUniverse Author House - AuthorHouse - Xlibris - Bertram Capital Management - Author Solutions - Trafford Publishing - Wordclay DANGER! BEWARE! FRAUD! and let's not forget CLASS ACTION Internet
I sat in the Bada Bing today and thought about this awful situation for a long time. The corporate officers and certain employees of these entities deserve to be pictured in handcuffs on the front page of every significant newspaper in the world, and featured on American Greed, Dateline, and 60 Minutes, to name only a few.All due respect...The masterminds behind this flimflam printing operation should get no respect, no more money from the public, and significant incarceration. They know perfectly well what they're doing and what they have done to an unsuspecting public. In order to not let them get away with it, each one of you who had money stolen by iUniverse and its other incarnations needs to step up and join a class action lawsuit and not keep saying that someone else ought to do it. They are not going to go away unless you join to do something. Stop feeling powerless.(((Redacted))) CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Entity: , Internet
Oct 26 2008
Author House Hook ya on price, then skin n fry'em Bloomington Indiana
Got my book published with Author House. FINALLY!?? Thought and asked several times was $799 going to be my final price, with out any printed books of course(those are priced according # in one production run). I was told yes, thats all it takes for the production). Got just hammered by another sales/marketing man, Convinced me, that I had to have this, that, and these promotional items. Newspaper adds, etc.. I bought in to way more than what I bargained for. For the almost 6,000 my marketing rep said it was a GREAT plan. I sold more books self-promoting and doing my OWN book signs, than I did on the 6,000 investment. I wont even start about the pains of working with their publishing consultants, or their production team?? ehhh.. Nightmare and they stuck me with more production charges(on a finished script, already professionally edited.. Nickel and dime you to death, thats all they do. Book quality was OK; however, follow up and ordering books, is still a f'n pain. Was going to do book two with them, but even with the discount the headaches alone drove me to another publisher(self). Be careful out there as well in the Self Pub arena, Author Solutions(the parent company to Author House), owns a great deal of the industry. From word of mouth its just the same repackaged junk. Sue NY, New YorkU.S.A.
May 22 2017
Authorhouse VERY poor quality product, over priced, dishonest, scam Nationwide
 I paid for authorhouse services before I knew what I was doing- the perfect candidate for a scam. Since then, I've learned a lot about self-publishing and would not make this mistake again. It so happens that I paid for the services four years before I finished my first book. I discovered they didn't format children's books the way I wanted so I researched further and decided to print my first book through IngramSpark. All self publishing companies have things that will be disappointing or frustrating for an indie author, and Ingram had theirs, but I think the quality of the product is far superior, and the cost is super low. I was happy with the finished Ingram product and was propelled to finish my second story just eight months later. This is when I decided to use the authorhouse package I paid for years earlier. My husband formatted both of my books. He has a graphic design background and a knack for researching everything needed to make something perfect. He also knew what was needed in order for the book to be printed. We kept asking for specs and my coordinator either didn't respond to my emails, or sent the most vague answers, so I had to email her four times before I finally got barely enough info for him to format my book. So the files were ready to go and gorgeous. I did all my own illustrations and I was so pleased with how he formatted everything. Authorhouse quickly approved the files and informed me my book would retail for 20.99!!!! What?! A paperback?? For $21?? I asked what my cost would be and they still haven't answered that question. Little background on my experience with Ingram. I was super disappointed with the cost of my book through Ingram and I had to make it that high or ice be paying them to print my book. But it was still within industry standards. 17.99 for a hardcover. Fair enough. Then I ended up finding another print company that would print them for 2.66 per book. I ordered 1,000 and the quality was gorgeous. Back to authorhouse, where my paperback was going to be priced at $21 a pop. I complained. They told me it was priced per page. I quoted industry standards and shared my comparisons and they didn't even answer my email. The book went to print. I just approved it because I felt their was little debating I could do and it was a package I'd already paid for so I thought I may as well see my book in print. It would also be on ebook so I thought maybe that would be redeeming. Then came the marketing and book signing designs. Granted, I'm an artist and so is my husband, and we design all of our own stuff... but these are supposed to be professionals so I expected a really decent design. It was awful. Embarrassingly awful. My image was sideways on the card and the design so basic it was clear no one tried to even make it acceptable. They repeated the design behind my design, so it was distracting and terrible. I emailed them the simplest corrections I could translate through email because I was so exasperated, but had no plans to use them in my marketing, they were that bad. Finally, I receive a copy of my book in the mail- long anticipated... the quality of the book looked like it was done on a home printer. Bear in mind that I had two great comparisons- both Ingram and the print company I had used, and this look like it was printed on a machine running out of ink or worse. The images were faded, grainy, and blurred on paper that was one step above newsprint. It was awful. Kinkos could've done a better job. I was furious. I don't know why I had any hopes for better after the quality of everything else. I am still in the process of trying to convince them their product is so below standard they should be embarrassed and they've had me talk to so many people that it's confusing who's who and what their status in the company is. They had me email them scans of the pages, and then tried to tell me the color was the same! I immediately disagreed and told them they should know better. I created those images on the latest technology with print true color, and shared with them my previous publishing experience and products. All they would do is tell me they would send me another copy, but I don't trust that their print on demand services to create a product that my customers would be happy with, especially for the outrageous price of $21. And they STILL have not disclosed what my royalties will be per book. I want a full refund. There are zero services that they offer worth paying $1000 for. They're in the business of scamming people who don't know any better like the naive person I was four years ago when I paid for this malarkey. You can pay Ingram $49 for all the same services minus authorhouse's awful marketing designs.
Entity: Nationwide
Mar 25 2014
AuthorHouse AuthorHouse took $4,000 and never delivered anything Bloomington Indiana
AuthorHouse has stolen from me. I paid them $4,000 in late November, 2013 to edit my manuscript, and until this day they have not delivered anything. I filed a claim for credit with American Express, but the company responded that I had violated their cancellation policy. In other words, they claim that I cancelled a contract just because I was trying to get my money back!    Can someone tell me what are my choices at this point? Can they get away with keeping my money without delivering the services they promised to deliver? Is this not blatant theft? Thanks   O.E. Diaz
Apr 07 2007
1st Book Publishers - AuthorHouse Publishing - Joseph Kercschbaum sent this letter concerrning my book original copyright certificate Ripoff Bloomington Indiana
I was told and is stated in my contract agreement with AuthorHouse that the original copyright certificate will be sent directly to me says sales rep. Rich Vanlue. But another lie given. I received a letter dated 02/20/2004 from Assistant Director of New Product Developement Joseph Kerschbaum stating that he sent me a copy of my book copyright certificate and he will keep original copyright certificate in my work folder for safety reason. If I needed copies to contact him. This itself is breach of agreement. Two weeks ago came online to check authors corner in AuthorHouse website if any books sales which I did far in between. I could not get because error message appeared password invalid. I asked for reset of pw. the secret question was asked I gave it and invalid message. Now frustrated I emailed support asking what was the problem that my answer was corrected. In subject I royalty payment that checks would be issued out on Feb. 28 2007. still no password. This type of indirect and incorrect responses I decided to discontinue my business with AuthorHouse because book salewas n one and I got royalty payment of total of 3 books, since publication of my book 2003. Faith Kula, HawaiiU.S.A.
Jun 02 2009
Authorhouse, Authorhouse Publishing fraudulent dealings Bloomington Indiana
I Unfortunately I decided to have Authorhouse publish my first attempt at writing. My book went on the internet just before last April. Because It was a book centered around the Bush administration and corporate America's control of the WhiteHouse. Along with their decades long attempt to destroy middleclass America. I thought the book would sell. According to my statements. Other than the books I purchased. Authorhouse hasn't sold one single copy. After checking out the websites that my book is being sold on. I found that several had used copies of my book for sale. My book is even for sale in the United Kingdom. I'd like to add, at a retail price much higher than we agreed on. I sent an email to Authorhouse and this is how they responded. The websites that indicate they have your book in stock and can ship within two to four days really does not have your book in stock. The websites that indicate that they have used copies of your book really do not have used copies of your book in stock. I don't know about you, but either all these websites are lying, or Authorhouse is pocketing my royalties. I've read several other complaints from authors who have experienced the same situation with this publisher. So, what should I believe? Are all the websites marketing my book lying? Are all the authors lying, or is it Authorhouse??? One complaint mentioned something I found very interesting. If all these books are not selling. How is it that Authorhouse has the millions of dollars necessary to buy up other publishing houses and expand as rapidly as they have? I believe it's time government take a close look at Authorhouse. The IRS should also be interested because companies like Authorhouse can write off so much more than the average taxpayer. Because of the years that Authorhouse has apparently been doing this. The Federal government stands to lose millions in tax revenue. By the way, if there's any lawyers reading this. I want them to know that I would gladly accept the chance of joining in a class action suit. Impact brooksville, FloridaU.S.A.
32, Report #200203
Mar 29 2007
AuthorHouse ripoff stealing royalties from my novel published online Bloomington Indiana
I paid them to publish my first novel in 2003. It was published with Print On Demand technology, which means the book is formatted on a computer and each book is just printed as needed. I wanted to take the venture just to see how my fiction might sell as it is advertised on Amazon.com. What happened was, that within less than twelve months, the book began to take off, selling in over one hundred web sites in several different countries that have Amazon.com branches. I know this because I can see it on the internet. The book is about Jesus Christ and juxtaposes his life with that of Mary Magdalene. It is called April is the Cruellest Month by V.R. Peterson. Whenever anything sells on Amazon.com, the popularity of it causes many web sites to be created. AuthorHouse has never paid me any royalties, except for those I bought myself. This means they are also robbing the IRS by not reporting these sales. They have opened a big new office and offices in many countries within the first year my book came out. They have over twenty thousand authors under their contracts and yet, they say not one has sold more than one hundred copies. However, a company cannot possibly open offices in many countries and buy a big new office building if their products are not selling that well. It takes millions of dollars to expand as rapidly as they have stated they did. V.r. St. Leo, FloridaU.S.A.
33, Report #1204822
Jan 27 2015
AuthorHouse Publishing Company contact person Brad Tirey i believe it was about a year or two ago i hired author house to publish my second book and i spoke to Brad Tirey on the phone he was the recruting rep iwhen finish explaining and i was also referred to him by another author who used authorhouse in the past, long story short i sent 1800.00 dollars of my hard earn savings to mr. tirey i was not happy with the service they made me do all the work i had to hire an artist to draw up my cover and research other things pertaining to my book, they did not write up anything on my front or back cover, i did everything for my self they harass me, begged for more mone from me and when i refused they got very nasty and unprofessional with me, i realize that what they was abiut to do was mess up my royaliites checks in the future and i was going to only receive 00.4 cents off each book, plus i know someone personal who has not received any royalities in nine years here name is Darlene Smith i lost 1800.00 when i fired them and they refused to give me back my monies, i asked for at least half my money no not evebn a quarter of my money nothing. Bloomington, IN Nationwide
To Whom It May Concern: I Ruth G hired AuthorHouse Publishing Company about a year or two years ago. I spoke and set up where to send my money in full once i was told everything i needed to hear and know and what package deal would for me, i then sealed the deal with Brad Tirey.I sent my money of $1800.00 the very next day. Once contacted to start working on my second book, i was ask to find someone to stetch the cover of my front and back book, so i hire someone to draw me up a stetch for my book, then i was ask to write up on my back cover, i basically did all the foot work and additional monies where coming out of my pockets they did nothing and i did everything.then they begin to harass me and rush me to publish my book before i was satisfied with it there were so many mistakes and they did not care how my bok with out there they offered for me to pay thousands of dollars to hire there editors and just was very rude and unprofessional towards me all the time, so i begin to have had enough, so i just stop working on the book and advoiding them and there calls for a time, at that time i started looking over some things about the company and found out about my royalities and found out that they wanted to give me four cents a book, so that is when i called Brad Tirey and told him that i wanted a full refund and that AuthorHouse is fired, well Tirey told me he will hace to talk to this one and that about full refund but he knows for a fact that i won't receive a penny.So now i had to return back to my original publisher of my first book and pay additional money to publish my second book shortly afterwards my second book was published very happy and i know a young women by the name of Darlene Smith who publish a book with AuthorHouse and she never saw one penny from her royalitites this day. So at this time i would like for your agency to investigate AuthorHouse and if you find out and you will negative reports and rating, complaints from people please i would like if you can start an class action law suit against AuthorHouse.                                                                                                           Thank you,                                                     Ruth, White Plains, New York
Entity: Nationwide
Feb 18 2011
AuthorHouse rip-off, scam, bait-and-switch, books, book, publisher, fraud Bloomington, Indiana
AuthorHouse is a SCAM. They use Bait-and-Switch tactics and downright lies. Stay away from them! My problem could have been worse.  I got out before getting seriously screwed - and will hopefully get my $$ back.  Here's the abbreviated version: So a salesperson by the name of Kathryn calls me after filling out an online form, tells me I can get my 1st photography book published by AuthorHouse for $1700 in a POD arrangement - and they'll throw in another book for free. (the standard arrangement these days, it seems) We discuss the arrangments in detail. # of images, # of pages, etc. No changes in price, no issues. So I sign up. Pay them 1/3 down & get a confirmation. Then a call from Jeff. Soon to be my best buddy in getting my book published. Yay! But wait! Jeff says I only get 50 images set for the package price. Anything over that is $10.00 each. NFW! That almost doubles the price of my book - and no one up till now has made a peep about extra charges. So days go by. I leave at least 6 messages for Jeff, his boss Steve, Kathryn (the initial liar I spoke with) and Kevin's assistant, Vicky. Every time I call, I'm told whomever I'm calling for is at lunch. No response to voicemails. No response to emails. Seems like as soon as I called them on their bait-and-switch tactics I was persona non grata. These people are clearly a complete rip-off and I wish I'd researched them more thoroughly. I recommend filing a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General if you feel they've screwed you. I have.
35, Report #762005
Aug 07 2011
Authorhouse Solutions Mr Kevin Weiss Eugene Hopkins Knowingly deceived me Bloomington, Other
Authorhouse pestered me to publish my book with them which I did, after publication serious errors were made by all the house which were eventually amended. Second publication appeared, shortly after its appearance I was contacted by Eugene Hopkins who knowingly led me to believe he was in the legal department. My book was about failures within the legal system in the UK, of professional negligence committed by my legal representatives, who had entered the wrong name on the original document headed Statement of Claim, and further causing my claim to be struck out as the time limitation had expired. I was informed by Eugene Hopkins they were withdrawing my book on legal grounds, and a refund was given. 12 months later discovered despite international Copyright my book was still being sold and the royalties were being pocketed by Author House,  I would suggest it is time for companies such as Authorhouse Solutions be closed immediately, they pretend to be publishers, offer you incentives merely to obtain your work, from which they receive a very nice income I retaining your royalties, better known as theft of publishers rights. Would suggest all those who have been exploited as myself Unite against this company and engage a top firm of International Solicitors/Lawyers to former Kitty to take on legally this company, of which I am prepared to head, anyone needing to contact me please do so.Roger
Entity: Bloomington, Select State/Province
Mar 29 2009
AuthorHouse Paid royaltie 3 times during the first 2 years after that no more . Bloomington Indiana
AuthorHouse paid me 3 royalties for the first 2 years. after that no more. It has been five years now. Raymond Rockford, IllinoisU.S.A.
Sep 18 2010
Xlibris/Authorhouse Not Reporting Royalties Bloomington, Indiana
I have a self-published book listed with Xlibris/Authorhouse, and according to their records my book is not selling.  Pertaining to this, I can accept the fact that my book might-not be selling.  But, what I have a problem with: is that a reader (outside the United States) made contact with me to express how much he had enjoyed reading my book.  For me, a red flag went up because-over the years-others had informed that they had purchased the book, also.  Yet, my royalty statement(s) did not indicate any sales.  Two years of this!  Finally, this year, I made contact with Xlibris to question my online royalty statement and I was told, What is listed online is the true amount of books sold.  With that, I asked about the missing $2.00 royalty that should have been posted as the result of the reader mentioned who had reported that he enjoyed the book.  Next, I was asked, How did he get the book?  I was asked this question because the rep did claim there was no record of the sale.  I did ask myself, If Xlibris is maintaining...no record of sale for that book purchased, how many other sales might there be that I don't know about?  On this same day, I spoke with another rep to request a sales statement.  (I was promised that the report would be sent to me via email.)  I am still waiting, Xlibris...  I-still-have the same email address. Two days later, something strange did happen.  When I checked my online royalty statement, there was that missing sale posted.  This spooked me to believe: all of the bad things I have read about Xlibris/Authorhouse might be true.  Stealing; changing sales reports and ignoring requests-as the request I had made for the sales report. The rep of Xlibris did tell me that they only handle sale-tracking for my book on Amazon.com. I did question who is in charge of tracking sales for the so...so many web pages my book is listed.  Xlibris said they would conduct an investigation because they didn't know about this, and it should not be.  (I did insist that they search the web to view what I did.)  My book is listed with the following book pages: E bay; E campus; Indiaplaza; QBD; Glendora Books; Abe; Books-A-Million; Tower; Nbcindia; CDWow; the Nile; Dealtime; Yasni; Play.com; Flipkart; Next Tag; Epinions; Buy.com; Books Express; Unread; Loot.co.za; Booksplus; Buecheride; Bol.it; Libreriauniversitaria; Biblio; Booktopia; Library Thing; Agitateur de Curiosite; Krisistomus; BookFinder 40; CDON,com; Scribbly Gum Books, and Book Army-just to mention a few.  I don't have an issue with my book being listed with these pages, but Xlibris is saying, It isn't so.  If there are no sales, why are used copies of my book posted.?  Is there something I am not understanding?  And according to Biblio, there are 30 new copies in stock.  Also, with Ecampus, my book is up for rent.  And the odd thing with that is: Xlibris is not listed as the publisher.  (Another publisher is listed.)  Xlibris, I am still waiting for that report... In conclusion, my book is listed on the web-threading from Japan; Africa; Italy; France and Ireland.  And Xlibris/Authorhouse is reporting not-one-single-sale!!!! I read a complaint-once-where the CEO of a publishing house had stated, We can't resolve these royalty issues, because the authors won't list their names.  They must be making up stories and that is why they hide.  Here I am, Baby...Darlene Black/Necromancy   It is..what it is!! *My book has several errors, but Xlibris created them.  When I had asked Xlibris to correct the errors, they wanted money to do so.
38, Report #1202793
Jan 19 2015
AuthorHouse AuthorSolutions, iUniverse In violation of RICO laws for racketeering in the USA Bloomington Indiana
This company presented as a wonderful asset for the first half of my experience: hard working minions in the Philipines, most likely being paid nothing and working 14 hours a day.  It then progressed to total rip off: Pressure to sell me books while telling me I would get only a few hardcovers and soft covers.  Telling me I was getting a HUGE discount on additional books.  Then shipping me more books than I have space for (and they're still coming). Misrepresentation, gross fraud: telling me I was chosen because my book was so unique, so wonderful, to be reviewed in the sixth (LAST SLOT AVAILABLE) review of books for Reader's Digest a worldwide publication. I then discovered that Reader's Digest filed for bankruptcy in 2013 and stopped all publication except for North America; also, the only review of books is done by a freelancer and includes only books on the NY Times best seller list, or famous published authors.  This is called FRAUD and, in the United States of America, deliberately representing a service which is NOT actually available, and taking or soliciting money for that service, is called RACKETEERING and is punishable under the Federal RICO law.
Entity: Internet
Dec 17 2010
AuthorHouse Iuniverse AuthorHouse is a money-laundering scam that was found guilty of fraud in a US Court Bloomington, Indiana
AuthorHouse formerly 1st Books, is a notorious vanity publisher. This company is a bogus scam and was found guilty by a US circuit judge in 2006 of committing fraud. Do not give this company your money, they have appalling distribution, inept management, fraudulent accounting practices, bad customer service and, as the Publishers Weekly article shows below, AuthorHouse is completely corrupt and fraudulent. The US Goverment needs to close down the AuthorHouse SCAM immediately. ***************************************************************Publishers Weekly Article: AuthorHouse Ordered to Pay Up by Claire Kirch, PW Daily 8/8/2006The Kansas district judge presiding over the defamation lawsuit brought by romance writer Rebecca Brandewyne against AuthorHouse ordered Friday that the POD subsidy publisher pay Brandewyne $200, 000 in punitive damages. Brandewynes co-plaintiffs in the suit, her parents, also were awarded punitive damages of $20, 000 each.This past May, a Wichita jury found AuthorHouse guilty of publishing a book, Paperback Poison, in November 2003 by Brandewynes ex-husband that libeled her. The jury awarded Brandewyne $230, 000 in actual damages (PW Daily, May 16).In his 14-page decision, Judge Jeff Goering asserted that AuthorHouse acted towards the plaintiffs with wanton conduct, in publishing Paperback Poison, despite the fact that Gary Brock, the books author, had informed AuthorHouse during contract negotiations that iUniverse had rejected the manuscript on the grounds of possible libelous content. **************************************************************** Unfortunately, I learnt too late that AuthorHouse is toxic, and one of the nastiest scams I've dealt with in my life.My hell with Authorhouse started on 24 May 2010 through a misleading website called findyourpublisher.com, which is a bogus fraud site funnelling unsuspecting authors towards AuthorHouse and their partner scams. My first mistake - I gave them my contact details. I was conned into paying them around $1000 to publish my first book which I was told would be available at Amazon. The result was a shoddy, poorly produced crappy book which no reader would waste their time with. The book is still not available at Amazon or anywhere - I just get excuses. Authorhouse is a scam, and they have stolen my dollars and succeeded in rubbishing of my work, that has left me deflated and completely disillusioned.AuthorHouse should change their name to AuthorScam. These fraudsters have turned fraud into an artform, and it's time for government agencies to start taking a look at AuthorHouse and their partner companies, iUniverse, Trafford and Xlibris.If you're a writer reading this: this is your wake up call. AUTHORHOUSE IS A SCAM. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.Close Down. Flush them down the toilet, AuthorHouse is truly excrement.
Mar 09 2009
Authorhouse Asked to desist from selling my book and they still are selling it via internet and bookstores London Office And Indiana
I've Instructed Authorhouse in writing on the 10th December, to remove my book title 'Why Can't I Speak' from the marketplace immediately. I also instructed Authorhouse to desist from selling my book via the Internet or making the book available to any other booksellers / agents. Authorhouse advised me that I had total rights on this book as I paid for its creation and production. However, Authorhouse have failed to comply with my request and later sent me an email to say that I have to sign 'Author Cancellation Form' I had also requested written confirmation that Authorhouse have complied with this request. I wrote them the same email on the 10th of December of 2008 and this was not been done. However, I found Authorhouse representative very rude and cutting in London office. Initially, I was told that I only paid for it's creation and that it would be print on demand and if I wanted to make the book available to bookstores that i would have to pay for a separate package. I was on standstill when I read that the book seems to be available abroad and was wondering who is pocketing the money on this. Help? Barbara Dublin 8Ireland Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Publishers Business Services
Entity: London Office And Indiana USA, Nationwide
42, Report #161976
Mar 29 2007
AuthorHouse/1st Books ripoff didn't live up to contract Bloomington Indiana
My experience with 1st books was very poor. After $600 paid on the contract I received a total of $33 back in a six year period. My book is for sale at the book stores at three times the amount they list my book as selling for. It is also listed as a used book in the UK and the used book is selling for more than they priced it to me. According to Author House which took over from 1st Books the books haven't sold because I didn't pursue their program for marketing which would require more money from ME. Apparently it is liked by someone for it to price that high and someones getting money, just not me.They are now saying that I have to pay them to keep it listed for sale in their program (which I still won't benefit from). They just plain lied. Dottie Dallas, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Jun 01 2011
Authorhouse I haven't received royalties from AuthorHouse inspite of the fact that I'm finding my book all over the web and being sold overseas even. Internet
I saw another report here on the Ripoff report about AuthorHouse that was similar to my same complaint against the company. Now I had a book published with them back in 2005 called 'Mound Bayou'. At first I was taking their word for it that no copies of the book had been sold for I was well aware that books from vanity presses often didn't sell many copies. But then I started doing some research and saw that my book was being sold overseas in England, France, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, and as far away as India even Japan. On another booksite my book was listed amongst the top 500 best sellers in my genre of books for 2006! Yet AuthorHouse's claim was that I was not selling any books! Then I started seeing 'used' copies of my book being sold all over the net! Also I might add that the books being sold overseas were at a much higher retail price than here in the states. I also found evidence that my book was part of a college curriculum in England and was even being used at Harvard here in the States! I brought this to their attention yet they claim that no books were sold and didn't even try to answer the question of why USED copies were being sold if no copies had been sold! They still haven't answered this question but they somehow have money to acquire other publishing houses. Well, you'd think I'd learned and I thought I had for my next book I used Xlibris for I have built up a name and expected some good sales to come out of this next venture. But guess what: Authorhouse acquired the rights to Xlibris earlier this year. Well, I can't stand it anymore and I'm not going to take it! My current book 'Cricket Man' started off pretty good overseas again yet according to them no books have been sold and yet again I'm already finding USED copies being sold and finding my book on just about every site my other book is on and being sold too! I'm like others out there, AuthorHouse is cheating us out of our royalties that's why they have so much money to expand and grow acquiring iUniverse and Xlibris and we need to come together and sue them! But this goes beyond even that for AuthorHouse has been doing this for so long that a Federal government investigation needs to be started immediately! I'm hoping someone out there can help us get this thing started because AuthorHouse has robbed me twice and many others who knows how many times! Hopefully we can get this thing started and get some of our money back before they disappear to Rio or somewhere!
Entity: , Internet
Sep 01 2011
AUTHORHOUSE PUBLISHING AUTHORHOUSE DID NOT PAY ROYALTIES TO ME THAT BOOK STORES PAID TO BUY MY BOOK. BLOOMINGTON, Indiana
    Hello, my name is Christian Plett and I have searched bookstores on-line and it clearly says that my book is in-stock. That  word IN-Stock means exactly what it says, and I would like to know why they don't like to pay their authors for what book stores buy from the publisher.    This is getting out of hand with this company doing and getting away with what they want to, and i would like to get my pay from them either through court and a huge settlement will do but this, is why they are the LARGEST publishing company in NORTH AMERICA and its sad and disappointing that they get away with all these things.    I would like to get the money and and royalties that they owe me and hope it stops for the rest or the authors from them and I have delt with this for the last 4 and a half years and its time to take a stand from this happening again.
Entity: BLOOMINGTON, Indiana
Jul 31 2009
Authorhouse / iUniverse Swindled eight thousand dollars after fruadulent contracts to publish book My El Mochito Sephardim From NM. Bloomington Indiana
I am a 75-year-old woman who has been swindled by iUniverse and Authorhouse Publishing Companies. I wrote a novel entitled, My El Mochito Sephardim from Northern New Mexico. It is written in English and peppered with the Ladino language. I wanted this novel to be in print before I die. The money-including my credit card number - was at their disposal. Each time they made a mistake I sent a corrected version and they charged me for each of their mistakes. They used a one-size fits-all technology and it is impossible with two languages. By the time the book came out, the sum totaled more than $3,000.00 and unacceptable. I don't have the complete sum because I am partially blind and need help to go over the figures. I instructed them to stop the presses and credit the sum back to my credit card. They refused and kept over $3,000.00. In December of 2008, I submitted the novel to iUniverse not knowing that they had merged with Authorhouse in 2007. In hard-sell tactics, a woman by the name of Kathi Wittkamper talked me into hiring one of their editors. She assured me that someone with knowledge of the Ladino language would edit my novel to my satisfaction or the money would be credited back to my credit card account. The letter that followed our telephone conversation is attached. The amount came to $4,800.83. Needless to say, they assigned an editor without any knowledge of the Ladino language and she treated it as Spanish, issuing suggestions. I called Ms. Wittkamper immediately and told her that the editor had no concept of the Ladino language spoken by Spanish Crypto Jews their culture or the terrains and to please credit the money back to my credit card account. They refused and kept the $4,800.83. I am asking for a federal investigation into the tactics used by Authorhouse and iUniverse. It's called White Collar Crime. Scams of this magnitude must be stopped immediately. Searching the internet I found authors warning other author of scams by these publishers. Jo **** Rio RAncho,, New MexicoU.S.A.
Sep 19 2010
authorhouse publisher I published two books with them my books are selling all over and they never paid me any royalties bloomington, Indiana
authorhouse is a book publisher who continues to fraud all there authors out of our royalties and money, our books sell all over the internet, amazon,  barnes&noble and other book stores there are over two hundred complaints against them yet the attorney general in Indiana is doing nothing aboout it.  I feel this is  unamerican that another man or woman can profit off of other peoples hopes and dreams and hard work an yet no one is doing anything about there fraud and scams of us american people. I feel this company should be thoroughly investigated . thank you for your time.
Entity: bloomington, Indiana
Jun 12 2014
Authorhouse authorsolutions The final galley had tons of errors and unauthorized changes were obvious after I paid for their edit. Bloomington Indiana
I paid for a publishing package. This was the second package. They advised me that they wanted me to use theeir in-house editorial services which I did.  The first book Invisible Chain:  Justice is Blind was edited by someone outside of their in-house referal network. Then I realized there were a number of similarly named books.  I was advised in order to change the title I had to order a new publishing package--which I did. I ordered their editorial services a line edit and purchased a package that included e-book and softcover.  The amount paid for these services cost $2,067.00  The previous package cost $649.50.  The edit return and for the most part it was okay but it still had some errors and it appeared as though the edit wasa dropped at the end. So I submitted a number of rounds of changes each time the manuscript returned there seemed to be more errors and numerous period that were not there previsouly. I finally authorized the book for publication.  However when I received the compliment copy for review I noticed words I knew I had not written and changes to words I knew I had not done.Some changes were made one word on the back cover From My People Swoop.  I submitted a text modification and advised I had to pay $300.00 that included a change in the cover text and design if I chose to do so. $275.00 for a retech.  I still complained that I did not make all those changes and knew scat was there and not skit on pg. 43. I was constantly ignored until I contacted them weeks later via phone.  Still I received to response to my complaint.  The fact that the one word was added to the back cover left my wondering if they made changes. Than the error riddled manascript was downloaded on Amazon.  I advised my re-assigned PSA that I had not received the stop the publication form even though I saw the attachment on the e-mail it disappeared. The payment for the publishing was paid by cash edit by charge card.After checking this website I see that a nu berof self-publishing companies have received numerous complaints. PublishAmerica did not pay royalties on my poetry boo and now it is on the secondary market selling of hundreds of dollars.
Sep 25 2017
Authorhouse Does not give the proper loyalties. Took more than $5000.00 from me, lied to me, did no honest business. How can they keep doing this to people? Internet
 Authorhouse leads people to believe that they will actually make money. After I spent way over $5000 my book was finally published after I got ripped off by the proofing. I was told I had to buy 100 of my own book that I had just got published. (Which I bought). My book is listed on Amazon and SEVERAL places all over the Internet. I was told that I would get around $3.40 per book that was sold. Every now and then I get a check. the last one was almost one dollar and fifty cents. I guess they sold a half a book. I don't see how they get away with this scam.
Entity: Internet
49, Report #201400
Sep 10 2006
Authorhouse Publishers Authorhouse is trying to cancel my contract without any reason Bloomington Indiana
I went to Bloomington, Indiana where Authorhouse has its main headquarters in March 2006 to publish my book. The book was published as of May 10, 2006. From May - June 30th Authorhouse has not lived up to their contract. I paid over $2700 dollars which included a Fast Forward service that is supposed to have the press release, and marketing kit, etc. done in 30 days from when the book was published, I have still not seen that done. On June 30th Eugene Hopkins, which is the Client Service Manager, told me that Authorhouse was going to put everything on hold and removed my book from Barnes and Nobles and every other distributor for no reason. I ordered 100 books for book signings that go on until September, they would not give me the books, and now I have no books for the book signings and no one can buy my book. I am planning on going to Bloomington to file a lawsuit against Authorhouse. If there are any other people that have had similiar problems with this company feel free to call me at my office which is listed below. Maria St. Petersburg, FloridaU.S.A.
Mar 30 2010
Authorhouse Publishers ripoff they took my money to publish book, their check bounced, they put in on ebay as generic with different cover Blomington Indiana
i had Moments in Time (poetry book) published. I paid them eleven hundred dollars for it. I had to have my son do the cover as they were terrible. Still had to pay for the cover later. They have sold over 100 books to my friends on the Poetry Workshop, relatives, and friends. They have it on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble. They sent me a four dollar check and it bounced. I had to pay the bank more than the check. Now it is on ebay as a generic form with my ISBN numbers in a red cover, not mine. it is half price. They didn't ask me or anything. They were called First Books, then changed their names to AuthorHouse. I have contacted them, they will not get back to me other than saying I sold four books. that is a crock. What can I do? I want it off of ebay, I didn't say they could do that. Ruth palm beach gardens, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Blomington, Indiana