BBB BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: bbb better business bureau

There may be more reports for "bbb better business bureau"

For more results perform a general search for "bbb better business bureau"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jan 21 2010
BBB - Better Business Bureau they are no usefule Internet
   Are the better business really needed and what good are they. My girlfreind had her Verizon service shut off by the bbb. They called and asked what the problem was she told them how verizon wireless was trying to con her. you see she was an altell user and they tried to con her by not letting her get a second line for 9.99 which is what the altell rep told her. they charged her 700.00 dollars for early termination fees. The bbb  are the ones that told her she would not be held liable for verizon con artist charges and they would be the ones who would take care of it. They shut the phone off and said you won't be held liable for anything and it will not effect your credit, a week later the con artist from verizon starting calling and demanding money she then complained to the bbb a second time they did not contact her. Verizon must of squashed the bbb like a little ant.The bbb will not get your money back for you or help you with nothing they are the ones who need to find a bbb  like company to make sure they are worthy.
Entity: , Internet
Mar 02 2001
Better Business Bureau BBB providing false information to consumers
We are general contractors who have been in business at the same corner, with the same phone # for 28 yrs. In the 70's we were members and found it to be a rip off & never joined again until last year when several of our employees really pushed for it. We completed the application and were excepted (that day, I believe) and charged $470.00. When I called a few days later to see what they had to say about our company I got a recording which said According to the information supplied by this company, they have been in business since 1973 then The BBB opened their files in 1995. This sounded like they were even questioning our longevity and we had been members in the 70's! THEY HAD NOT CHECKED ANYTHING!!! We are a legitimate company but what about those that are not? They do not verify to see how long you have been in business, or that you are financially credible or anything!!! They just take your check and send you a plastic plaque. When I realized this I told them that I believed that anyone with $470 could become a member and I demanded that our membership be cancelled and our money returned. They would not return our money but no longer list us as members. Within a few weeks, they sent a couple of complaints they had received on us and I responded immediately. (Please note that we do $10,000,000 a year in business and I will be the first to tell you that not everyone of our customers is 100% happy but we have been here for 28 yrs.) Neither one of these was legitimate and one was not even from a customer. It was from someone who was mad because we told them we couldn't take on their work at that time. I responded to the two complaints and never heard anymore so I thought everything was all right. This week I found out that they are giving us an unsatisfactory report for not responding to one of these (unanswered complaint). Both responses were sent to them at the same time in the same envelope and also via fax. I refaxed it and requested that our record be changed to satisfactory since we had indeed responded. I received a call from Dan Parsons who is the person that I had dealt with when I cancelled our membership. He was VERY COCKY and REMINDED ME THAT I HAD CANCELLED OUR MEMBERSHIP, and that he was going to leave our rating as unsatisfactory but the reason would be changed to unresolved complaints until we can go to arbitration. I believe that I have created a MONSTER and that I now have the rath of the BBB on me and it is SCARY!!! We do $10,000,000 in business and have 2 complaints and that makes us unsatisfactoryand yet there are businesses that I know of that are in major financial trouble and yet they give them a good report. So far every file I have pulled up on member business it reflects that even though they may have unresolved complaints that the company has done everything the can to resolve it. I haven't found this notation on any nonmember files. It is amazing they the media holds them up as some kind of saint out there to protect the consumer when, in fact, I truly believe that it is about money. EDITORS NOTE: go to Search the Rip-off Reports see all the other Rip-off Reports on the BBB
Entity: Nationwide
Oct 17 2004
BBB Better Business Bureau Disappointment Clearwater Florida
I was astonished to find out that BBB Clearwater has the following report on GCR Capital: Complaints have been processed by the Bureau in its three-year reporting period. Although the customer disputed the company's response, based on BBB experience the company properly addressed all the issues of the complaints. In addition, other complaints processed by the bureau in its three year reporting period were closed as resolved. The number and type of complaints are not unusual for a company in this industry. They are pretty much saying that, although GCR Capital is providing bad services, based on BBB's experience they are OK. Wow, American people, be aware of BBB. For obvious reasons, I will not use BBB services again. I filled a complain and are not suing GCR Capital to try to get my money back. This should be on BBB's files until a judgement is reached. Here are the facts on BBB's site about GCR Capital: Closed Complaints Number of complaints processed by the BBB in the last 36 months: 10 Number of complaints processed by the BBB in the last 12 months: 8 Is it a sign or what? And BBB is saying that they were resolved. Should a legitimate and honest person who seeks BBB assistance about finding out information about GCR Capital get the real deal? I would have appreciated if BBB Clearwater had given me this information when I contacted them before I sent my check to GCR Capital. Now, I have to spend money in attorney's fees to get MY MONEY back. Thank you BBB. ATTENTION! DO NOT SEND MONEY UPFRONT TO GCR CAPITAL! AND DO NOT TRUST BBB INFORMATION EITHER! Dercilio Boca Raton, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Clearwater, Florida
Aug 09 2010
BBB - Better Business Bureau BBB BBB - Better Business Bureau is a FRAUD & SCAM DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!! Internet
BBB is a complete scam. They rate businesses based on: How much that company pays them If they respond, companies that do not respond because they do believe in, or want to particapte with, BBB get an automatic F Number of complaints - regardless of total sales - a company that has 10 sales and 5 complaints is rated the same as a company that has a million sales and 5 complaints. THEY DO NO CONSIDER: The customer who complains.  Most of the people who complain on BBB are chronic complainers and scammers.  Many others have a personal vedetta. Look on Rip Off Report, they have more complaints than anyone. BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU GRADE:   FFFFFF-------  IS THERE ANYTHING LOWER THAN F?
Entity: Internet, Internet
Oct 23 2005
BBB - Better Business Bureau ripoff Arlington Virginia
I had no idea there were so many other businesses being harrassed and embezzled by the BBB. I too received basically threatening phone calls from their sales staff for months until I finally caved in and paid their dues. And like others, I had no calls or problems until it was time to renew. Then the harrassing calls and letters started coming again. This is a true scam. The best I've probably ever seen. They pose as some kind of watchdog, while providing completely invalid information. In the whole year I was a member they didn't even bother to update my address and phone number, making my information appear misleading. They should simply state in a business report... this company paid us heh heh, so we'll say they're okay. or this company didn't pay us, so they are unsatisfactory. The biggest rip off ever.. the better business bureau. I have six other relatives in business, four of which in separate states. They all too have had the same arm-twisting, extortion tactics used against them. Beware of the BBB... they're con men and women. I hope they go down hard or enough business owners read this and NOT pay/play into their games. James St. Charles, MissouriU.S.A.
Entity: Arlington, Virginia
Dec 31 2008
Better Business Bureau (BBB) BBB- What a sham!! Toronto Ontario
I had filed a compaint, with the BBB, against The Brick in Canda. Here is what happened afterwards: The Brick responded (though the BBB web-site) to my complaint. The Brick's response had NOTHING at all to do with my complaint however, so I responded and stated that The Brick was responding to somone else's complaint. The Brick responded again, and this time they addressed my issue. Some of their statements were incorrect (I believe they were intentionally misleading). I responded to the Brick's comments with the intenton of setting the record staight. Before the Brick could respond, the Better Business Bureau closed the complaint!!! I wrote to the BBB with following one statement and two questions: 1. It has been determined by the BBB that 'A mutually satisfactory resolution has not been reached through our process of conciliation.' Why is it then, when I look at my file on-line, it reads that the file has been closed and that the 'Bureau judged complaint resolved'. This complaint has NOT been resolved. 2. On one of the BBB's sites (http://hamilton.bbb.org/codbrep.html?wlcl=y&id=2931&cons=y) it reads that, in respect to The Brick: Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau. Any complaints processed by the Bureau in its three-year reporting period have been resolved. Is this how The Brick has been able to maintain a 'satisfactory record', because the BBB has arbitrarily closed complaints (without notifying the complaintant) and by mislabling the complaints as 'resolved' (a term which would obviously lead consumers to the belief that a mutually agreed upon solution has been reached)??? 3. Why would The Brick do ANTHING to actually resove the complaints brought against it throught the BBB, if all they have to do is to argue the facts of the complaint just twice (and one of those arguments was meant for another complaintant), and then the BBB will close said complaint and lable it as 'resolved'???? I never hear from the BBB after I sent them this email. Surprise, surprise! Chris Toronto, OntarioCanada
Entity: Toronto, Ontario
Aug 21 2009
BBB - Better Business Bureau should report themselves to the Better Business Bureau Internet
These people are a joke. They take money from businesses and try to act like they are some sort of mediator for consumers. They focus only on the negative. Their business model doesn't work for businesses with large transactions. For example you may have a small company that had 5 sales for the year with 1 complaint on their record.  Then you may have a larger company that had 1000 sales for the year with 4 complaints on their records. In the BBB's rating system the smaller company would look like they have a better rating when in fact they do not.  The BBB does not take into account the number of transactions that a company has. Use the other review sites on the internet who allow positive reviews and stay away from these crooks.
Entity: , Internet
Jun 17 2002
Better Business Bureau, BBB total ripoff, fraudulent business representation ripoff Colton California
AS MOST OF YOU ALL ARE UNAWARE OF HOW POORLY THE BBB TREATS SMALL BUSINESS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! DO NOT BELEIVE ANY OF THE REPORTS FROM THEIR WEB SITE AS THEY ALL ARE FALSE AND ARE DESIGNED TO KEEP SMALL COMPANIES FROM GROWING!! THEY ARE A 21ST CENTURY MAFIA! BUYER BEWARE! BBB has a spotty record Local Better Business Bureau shows clean records for dozens of problem companies, some facing government action. June 16, 2002 By CHRIS KNAP and JAN NORMAN The Orange County Register The Better Business Bureau doesn't always live up to its powerful brand name. The Orange County Register found that the Southern California bureau - the nation's largest - grants positive reports to troubled companies while devoting 40 of its 100 employees to soliciting membership dues from businesses. The bureau name connotes ethical business practices, fairness and consumer protection. But critics say the Better Business Bureau of the Southland engages in practices that discourage complaints. Until just a few months ago, the bureau charged consumers $5 to lodge a complaint about a business over the telephone. The Register findings include: The bureau lists with a satisfactory or clear record more than 50 businesses that have been sued or disciplined by government agencies for shoddy or illegal practices. The businesses were identified during a check of about 150 firms listed on the bureau's Web site, www.bbbsouthland.org. At least three businesses accused by California regulators of a pattern of consumer fraud are still members of the Southland bureau. The bureau gives members an additional chance to clear complaints from their record. Several business owners alleged that bureau telemarketers promised they could clean up their company record if they paid annual membership fees ranging from $300 to $600. The dues are based on a company's size. William G. Mitchell, the president of the Southland bureau, acknowledged problems with his telemarketing staff and said he has moved to correct them. But he said no business records were sanitized and that his office never authorized any such offers. He also expressed frustration with the quality of the bureau's reports on individual companies. Our information is not always right, said Mitchell, who earns $245,000 a year. Is that a good thing? No, it's not a good thing. I'd love to be able to report all this information, but there are limits to the resources and the people. I think we do a hell of a good job with the budget we have. Others are not convinced. If you put out information that purports to be accurate and it's not, sometimes it's worse than no information, said Gail Hillebrand, a senior staff attorney with Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports. Watchdog or protector? For more than 75 years, U.S. consumers have relied on the bureau's torch logo and its pledge to encourage integrity in the marketplace. Each local bureau is independent and nonprofit - a franchise of the national organization. Some consumers mistakenly believe the bureau is a public agency. It is not. It is funded almost exclusively by businesses on its membership roster. Consumer advocates say the membership dues create a conflict of interest for the bureau. Better Business Bureaus nationwide field complaints about local businesses, warn consumers about fraudulent practices, and contract with some corporations, such as major auto companies, to provide dispute resolution over manufacturing defects. But they have no enforcement powers. The Southland bureau says it provides 159,000 reports a month to consumers - either on the telephone, by mail or on its Web site. The bureau says it has these reports on more than half of the 351,000 companies that do business in Southern California. About 17,200 companies are members. The bureau warns the public about many questionable companies, such as those offering work-at-home schemes, credit repair and advance-fee loans. Companies in these industries are not allowed to become members. But consumers logging on to the bureau Web site can't learn how many complaints have been filed against a company. And if there are complaints, the reports often don't say what they are. When the BBB has a bad report on a business, you can be sure the business is bad, said Ed Magedson, a consumer advocate and creator of RipoffReport.com, a Web site that allows consumers to file, and view, any complaint about a business. But there are a lot of times when there are bad reports on members and you will never hear about it. Through public records, Web sites and newsletters, the Register found more than 40 businesses that had lost their state plumbing, contracting or auto repair licenses for serious violations. These companies were accused of abandoning projects, performing sloppy work and diverting funds. But they were listed by the bureau as having a satisfactory or clear business record. Other businesses with troubled records also have clear bureau reports, including a major residential landlord, a chain of auto body shops, an eyeglass maker, and several nail salons. The newspaper chose companies that had problems in the past and checked the bureau's ratings for each. Bureau member George Brazil Plumbing of Culver City, which also does business as Mike Diamond Plumbing and Orange County Services Inc., had its licenses suspended for 30 days and was placed on two years probation in 1999 for failing to obtain building permits, abandoning a project, failing to complete a contract for the agreed upon price, and false advertising, according to the Contractors State License Board. The company did not contest the charges, state documents show, and agreed to pay restitution to consumers plus $11,110 in costs. Michael Diamond did not respond to calls seeking comment. The bureau's nonpublic files show 34 consumer complaints against Diamond and 15 against Brazil in the past three years, officials said. But the bureau's Web site listed the plumber as having a satisfactory business record. The bureau amended its reports in this case and a half- dozen other companies after interviews with the Register. The ratings of George Brazil and Mike Diamond were changed last month to include a complaint history that reveals that some consumers felt overcharged. Mitchell said George Brazil's membership was suspended in 1997 by the staff after a series of complaints. But Diamond himself appealed to the bureau's board, which overruled the staff and re instated his membership. Mitchell said his staff later reviewed the complaint history against Brazil, determined that it had improved, and revised the firm's report, giving it a satisfactory rating. At that time Brazil was still on probation. The report shouldn't have said that,'' Mitchell conceded. I can't explain why the probation wasn't reflected. The revised report on George Brazil still says nothing about the state discipline, suspension or probation. Another bureau member, Arnel Management Co. of Costa Mesa, which manages 4,500 apartments in Orange County, agreed last September to pay $1.45 million to settle state attorney general allegations that it illegally overcharged thousands of tenants on security deposits, repairs and cleaning from March 1997 to September 2001. Arnel denied wrongdoing but agreed to refund $1.1 million to former renters. Mitchell says he knew about that lawsuit. But Arnel was listed as having a satisfactory record until May 24. On that day, Arnel's report was updated to reflect the lawsuit and settlement. Arnel was allowed to keep its membership, in apparent violation of the bureau's own rules: The membership agreement requires members to be free from any governmental action directly relating to the basis of its customer relations or fraud in the marketplace. That's a judgment call, Mitchell said. It's possible they could be suspended, but I haven't made up my mind. SLIPPING THROUGH THE CRACKS Plenty of nonmembers with questionable business practices also slip through. Vista Pacifica convalescent hospital of Riverside - where the administrator was convicted of failing to report criminal elder abuse by an employee - showed a clear record. The company's report was revised May 24 to reflect the government actions. Vista Pacifica's administrator did not return phone calls. Mitchell said the bureau is working to change its Web site so a listing of complaints will be visible to consumers. He also said that when the bureau does act aggressively to combat fraud it often gets dragged into court. Take the case of Omenicus Financial Corp., of Irvine, which guarantees a 30 percent return on a commercial real estate investment - and boasts that returns will more likely be 100 percent. The Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulators warn consumers about this type of promise. The only truly guaranteed returns are from a bank deposit or bond insured by the U.S. government. The bureau had rated Omenicus satisfactory. Omenicus advertised its bureau membership on its Web site. Told by the Register about the company, Mitchell investigated. He asked Omenicus to document that it had extensive commercial real estate holdings returning high margins on equity. When the company refused, he pulled its membership and revised its bureau report to warn investors that the company is not registered with the California Department of Corporations and that its guarantee is of questionable benefit. One week later, on May 16, Omenicus sued the Southland bureau for defamation. Robert Scott, president of Omenicus, said the bureau's report contains numerous errors and has damaged his business. Scott acknowledged that neither Omenicus nor its partnerships own any commercial real estate at this time. But five parcels in California and New York are in escrow, he said. Benefit of the doubt More than a dozen Orange County consumers who contacted the Register described unsatisfactory experiences when they tried to use the Southland bureau to find an honest business or complain about a dishonest one. Consumers were particularly annoyed that for years they had to pay $5 to file a telephone complaint and $3 to have the bureau research the number of complaints against a business. Mitchell said the fees, which raised about $150,000 a year, were halted earlier this year. Some people clearly were turned off by them, he said. Other consumers complained that the bureau didn't answer the phone, never followed up or wouldn't take a report. Jim Troeller, a Fullerton locksmith, wrote to the Southland bureau two years ago about a local computer builder that he says sold him a defective computer then defaulted on the warranty. The company responded by saying Troeller owed money for repairs and it was going to sue. The company didn't sue. But that explanation was good enough for the bureau. They told me, 'We closed the file.' I see so many references to the BBB as if its some sort of watchdog, but it's not, Troeller said. It's just a paper-shuffling organization. Mitchell said that because the bureau has no police powers, it can only urge businesses to do the right thing. If we think the business is being reasonable, that they are addressing the allegations, we would close it that way, Mitchell said. If you call that giving the benefit of the doubt to business, I guess that's what it is. Drive for members The Southland bureau has a permanent telemarketing department to solicit business memberships, which account for about 77 percent of the bureau's $4.9 million annual revenue. The 40 telemarketers, who are paid solely on commission, make thousands of calls to businesses every week. The bureau has four staff members who investigate complaints. The Register surveyed 180 Orange County business owners about the bureau. Of the 97 that responded, 89 reported negative experiences. More than a dozen business owners said telemarketers told them they had received complaints about their company - sometimes in a harassing tone. Others said telemarketers told them there were inquiries in such a way that it sounded as if a complaint had been filed. For a business owner, it was a little bit like finding '60 Minutes' out in your lobby, said Donna McGovern, owner of Custom Business Results Inc. of Huntington Beach. After complaints from business owners were reported in the Register, Mitchell instructed his telemarketers to make clear that their calls are about soliciting memberships, not about consumer complaints. More serious are allegations from some businesses who say bureau employees offered to clean up negative reports if they joined. Dan Golka of United Home Improvements in Tustin said a bureau telemarketer told him he could make a complaint go away by joining. Golka said his bad report stemmed from a dispute with now-defunct HomeBase, which urged consumers to complain to the bureau about him. It was a shakedown, said Golka, referring to the bureau. Pay $300 for a good recommendation. Allan Lobel of A-L Financial, a Santa Ana lender, had a similar encounter when he called to resolve complaints attached to his file. The girl said, 'Join first, then we will look at the record,' Lobel said. Mitchell said it's impossible to eliminate all problems with telephone solicitations. I can tell you with absolute certainty: We would never, ever wipe out a complaint to get a membership, Mitchell said. We will not under any circumstances compromise our integrity. Mitchell noted that numerous consumers have complained to the bureau about the Register's telemarketers - resulting in an unsatisfactory bureau rating for this newspaper. Our telemarketers do not misrepresent the nature of their calls, said N. Christian Anderson III, the Register's publisher and chief executive officer. Mitchell said it's possible that some of his telemarketers told businesses that a membership could help clear their record. But he said those statements were unauthorized and false and that no salesperson has the access necessary to change a business report. If a company has a legitimate complaint about something that appears in its report, he said, his staff will consider removing it. We have to consider the company's point of view, he said. We do need to keep the lights on. But if we take money from someone who is fraudulent, it hurts our reputation. If some little old lady sees the BBB name on one of these companies and gets taken, I can't tell you in strong enough terms that is the absolute last thing I want to see happen. Local BBB tops in U.S. in members, revenue The Better Business Bureau of the Southland is the largest and most prosperous of 128 bureaus nationwide. That success is due partly to Southland's perpetual membership drive. The Southland bureau's revenues have risen steadily in the past few years, reaching $4.9 million in 2000-2001. Seventy-seven percent of that is from dues paid by 17,200 members. The bureau - like all others nationwide - operates as a nonprofit business. This is not a charity; this is an enterprise, Southland Chief Executive William G. Mitchell said. We're not seeking grants from anybody. Our bills are paid by memberships. That financial success is one reason Ron Berry of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in Virginia calls Southland one of the best bureaus in the nation. Mitchell has been rewarded for shepherding that growth. He earned $245,000 last year, more than the head of the national Council of Better Business Bureaus, which licenses the name and logo to local bureaus. Mitchell not only makes almost one-third more than his national counterpart, he is paid almost three times more than the average chief executive of comparably sized nonprofit groups, according to a study by Abbott Langer & Associates. Mitchell ran the Inland Empire bureau until the Los Angeles / Orange County bureau ran into trouble and folded in 1987. A year later, Mitchell merged his bureau with the Los Angeles / Orange County one. JACK LOS ANGELES, California STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, it's paid for!
Entity: Colton, California
9, Report #201226
Jul 15 2006
Better Business Bureau (BBB) protects businesses, NOT consumers!!! Natick Massachusetts
The Better Business Bureau is a fraud! We joined a company called Inventors Express Services ONLY because they were listed with the BBB. We were scammed out of 895 dollars by Inventors Express Services, of Augusta Maine, and when we went to the BBB about them, they did very next to nothing to assist us. The BBB marked on their online report, on their website, that our case is Administratively Closed. They SHOULD have put it under the category Unresolved! Our case is in no way resolved with Inventors Express Services! The Better Business Bureau is not on the side of the consumer, they are on the side of fraudulent businesses like Inventors Express Services. Inventors Express is a member of the Better Business Bureau. That means that they receive money from them. As long as they keep getting their money, that's all they care about. What the BBB should do is not let IES be a member anymore, but of course they won't do that. As long as IES keeps on paying their membership fees to the BBB, the BBB will let them stay in their system, and look like a reputable business (which they most certainly are not)!!! We never would have joined Inventors Express, had they not been listed with the Better Business Bureau. Now we are out $895 of our hard-earned money. A word of advice to consumers: Don't ever join a company, or send money to them, just because they are listed with the Better Business Bureau. Take my advice, if a company is listed with the BBB, it doesn't mean a thing! Do not trust it! The BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU is totally worthless, and good for NOTHING! They should do everyone a favor and shut down! They should just turn off their lights and all go home. The employees there are worthless scam artists and are just as bad, if not worse than the fraudulant companies that they represent. Sarah Arlington, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Natick, Massachusetts
Nov 08 2007
Better Business Bureau BBB Removes Complaint Records! Multiple Cities Nationwide
Reported an issue about a contractor to the BBB, thinking they would act as an arbiter of the problem I had. First thing the contractor did was say our issue was in litigation which it never was (apparently that is a common tactic), so BBB unilaterally decided to remove the complaint from their online-searchable records. I asked BBB why they did that and they said it was because this issue was in court and BBB does not attempt to supersede the court's authority. I said there was never any court action, and I escalated this issue to a BBB manager. The BBB manager put back the complaint record which properly said something like the contractor was not required to work with the consumer. I recently looked up the complaint record for this contractor and the record is gone again. So not only does BBB not help the consumer, not hold lousy businesspeople to account, and not even provide an arbitration service, they hide or remove complaint records! How can one trust the BBB with tactics like that? Houseguy City WithheldU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
Sep 18 2010
Better Business Bureau BBB BBB loses credibility with Businesses Various, Florida
BBB loses credibility with Businesses: The BBB is under investigation by the Attorney General in Connecticut with good reason. The BBB went to the dark side in 2009. It went to a new rating system. When our company, a long time member at the time, went down in its rating with the BBB, we asked the local franchise owner, Judy Pepper, how she determined our rating. She said they use an algorithm they designed. We asked for the algorithm to determine how we could better our rating and she refused. Why would they keep that a secret?  The Attorney General thinks maybe money is figured in. We decided to evaluate our membership and determined that: #1. Membership in the BBB is a COMPLAINT MAGNET. Our complaints grew 4 times over once we joined. #2. The BBB does not care about being fair to businesses it only counts complaints. We looked at our competitor who had almost 4000 complaints compared to our 133 complaints in the last three years, pretty good in our industry, and wonder how they keep their A+ rating. The judgments they make are arbitrary and subjective, no objectivity that we can see. As a member all of our complaints are resolved. Once you resign your complaints become serious. Judy Peppers BBB franchise is doing well. They just bought a new building worth millions of dollars. Their business model has changed. They make a lot of money for a non-profit. I think it is because they have gone over to the dark side. I suggest if you own a business stay away from the BBB.
Entity: Various, Florida
Nov 23 2011
Austin Better Business Bureau - Austin BBB a Scam Austin, Texas
What a joke this service is. They will post consumer complaints that are proven to be lies. All they want is businesses to join BBB and pay them a fee so they can help the business be better. We have been in business for over 12 years with no complaints because we always take care of our customers.A wacko posted a complaint against our business through Austin BBB. We had already given this person their all of their money back as it was clear to us they were deranged and we wanted to distance ourselves from them as quickly as possible.The BBB contacted us. We showed them the complaint was a lie and provided documentation to prove it. Well the Austin BBB does not care if the complaint is a lie they post it anyway and try to extort money from the business so you can be accredited. What a joke, be BBB just means you were willing to pay them hundreds of dollars for the privilege.Why any business would pay these yahoos a penny is beyond me. Their ratings service is a 100% joke. The only people they are interested in protecting is themselves and lining their pockets with money from small businesses. Never believe that a BBB rating has any value or validity. It is bought and paid for and 100% meaningless.
Entity: Austin, Texas
Aug 12 2007
Better Business Bureau should be changed to Worst Business Bureau Chattanooga Tennessee
These people have ripped me off and helped the merchant that ripped me off. In a new report on here it has been declared that all BBBs are ripoffs and I believe they should be sued by everyone that filed a complaint with them and never received any satisfaction. I think we should have a good ol' BBB Hunt like the Salem Witch Hunts. All they did was like a ping pong game where you would write them and then they would relay the message to the person and that's it they wouldn't help me in any other way. If I wanted to relay messages to the merchant I would have done it myself. Anyhow they are just a waste of time and should be first sued for millions for wasting and ripping off people and then jailed for the crime they committed against the many people that came to them to seek help and didn't get any. Here is the report I found: /Better-Business-Bureau/Better-Business-Bure/better-business-bureau-or-buye-EQ4FB.htm They haven't helped me any at all. I filed a complaint with a merchant and then while in Germany shut the case they could have waited to hear from me instead of shutting it down they don't do much of anything anyhow besides ripping people off. I hope there will be a class action lawsuit against them cause all they did is waste my time and lost my money because of them. Thanks for nothing BBB in Chattanooga. I also contacted them and ask them why they shut it and they told me if I would send them a letter they would send it to the merchant. I don't think i'm that stupid where I don't know how to mail a letter to the merchant all they did was relay messages they didn't help me get a lawyer or anything. All they do is rake money in from businesses and when a consumer has a complaint they do what they did by me and that is what I like to call the Ping Pong Ball Game. BBB Chattanooga now owes me the amount of $10,000.00 for ripping me off and causing me undue stress. They are no good at all and advise anyone not to use them. I will close now and wouldn't be surprised if one day they are all thrown into court for ripping consumers off. Thomas Dalton, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Jul 30 2013
Better Business Bureau Bad Business Protection Bureau internet
I filed a complaint with the BBB against a company that was in obvious violation of BBB rules. The company was rated A+ with BBB and paying its membership fees. I stated that the company either needs to fix its policies that are in violation of BBB rules or be barred from BBB membership and that needs to be posted on the BBB website. The company admitted it's policies that were in violation of BBB rules, but offered to fix them for me. The BBB said my case was closed because the company corrected my complaint. I asked about the ongoing policies that were in violation. They said it didn't matter. The company is still an A+ member of the BBB. This is a ripoff.
Entity: internet, Select State/Province
Jul 29 2003
BBB Better Business Bureau rip-off Nationwide Worldwide
BBB doesn't know its butt from wild honey let alone what companies they report on Check out Fairbanks reports ..... Been seeing a lot of flap about the Better Business Bureau, the good old BBB. Since I have never consulted the BBB in the past, decided to do a liitle looking around to see what all the hoopla was about in black and white. Check out the dirt on Fairbanks in report #1: BBB Reliability ReportFairbanks Capital Corp3815 South West TempleSalt Lake City, UT 84115General InformationOriginal Business Start Date: January 1989 Type of Entity: Corporation Principal: Mr. Thomas D Basmajian CEO Customer Contact: Mrs. Valarie Kacherian Phone Number: (904) 722-7691 Type-of-Business Classification: Financial-Mortgage And Escrow Companies The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.Customer ExperienceBased on BBB files, this company has unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered and unresolved complaints concerning problems with consumers' payments posting to an account correctly and other accounting delays or errors. Other complaints have been resolved. Licensing InformationThis company or its agent is licensed, registered or certified by REAL ESTATE COMMISSION. The license number is me00068103. mO00068104 Additional InformationAdditional Doing-Business-As Names: Fairbanks Capital Corporation Additional Addresses: 338 South Warminster RdP O Box 1900, Hatboro, PA 19040 10401 Deerwood Park Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32256 P O Box 551170, Jacksonville, FL 32255 P O Box 65250, Salt Lake City, UT 84165 PO Box 65248, Salt Lake City, UT 84165 Additional Phone Numbers: 801-293-1883 801-293-1297 Fax 800-258-8602 904-702-7691 801-293-8830 Additional TOB Classifications: Financial-Consumer Finance And Loan Companies Investment Companies And Services, Other Company ManagementAdditional company management personnel include:Ms Kim Stevenson, Director/VP/Treasurer Mr Jeffrey A Parker, Director (MN) Mr Mark Finston, President Mr Terrell W Smith, Esq, Executive VIce President Mrs. Valarie Kacherian Mrs. Carrie Shepard Government ActionsOn May 16, 2003, the California Department of Corporations, Office of Law and Legislation issued an Order to Discontinue Violations for Financial Code Sections 50314 and 50321. Additional File InformationFairbanks Capital is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, with other locations in Hatboro, PA and Jacksonville, FL. Educational TipsHow the Faithful Can Avoid Investment ScamsEquity-Rich Homeowners Target of Reverse Mortgage FraudInvestment Fraud ProliferatesMortgage ChoicesRefinancing Your Mortgage LoanReport as of 07/29/2003 Copyright 2003 Better Business Bureau of Utah, Inc.As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained herein is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time. The Better Business Bureau reports on members and non-members. Membership in the BBB is voluntary, and members must meet and maintain BBB standards. If a company is a member of this BBB, it is stated in this report. For more information about BBB reports, click here Bad company as we all know it to be. Unless you are here: Fairbanks Capital Corp P.O.BOX 9001710 LOUISVILLE, KY 60619 General Information Principal : Ms. Phone Number: (888) 349-8953 Type-of-Business Classification: Unable To Classify The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources. Customer Experience We do not have a report on this company. The following data concerns complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's file was opened or over the last 36 months, whichever is less. Fairbanks Capital Corp has had no complaints. The company's size, volume of business, and number of transactions may have a bearing on the number of complaints received by the BBB. The complaints filed against a company may not be as important as the type of complaints, and how the company handled them. The BBB generally does not pass judgment on the validity of complaints filed. Report as of 07/29/2003 Copyright 2003 Better Business Bureau As a matter of policy, the Better Business Bureau does not endorse any product, service or company. BBB reports generally cover a three-year reporting period, and are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information contained herein is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy. Reports are subject to change at any time. The Better Business Bureau reports on members and non-members. Membership in the BBB is voluntary, and members must meet and maintain BBB standards. All the victims of Fairbanks have to do is do all their business through the Louisville, KY office. It is squeaky clean! This is ridiculous. Reliable information at the BBB for sure. Wish I had some way to find out exactly WHEN the BBB gave Fairbanks the unsatisfactory rating....I'm guessing about five minutes before the Feds walked in! I sure would not want to stake my money on the reliabilty of reports from the BBB. It might be a losing proposition! Robin Waldron, ArkansasU.S.A. STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, its paid for!
Entity: Nationwide, Nationwide
Apr 01 2007
BBB Better Business Bureau Big Bull Bureau Corpus Christi Texas
I filed a complaint against a business (Emerald Pool & Spa - John Johnson)on August 16, 2006. He didn't respond by the due date, they sent him a reminder to respond. He didn't repsond, they closed the case rating the company unsatisfactory. The company got around to filing a response in late September. The BBB re-opened the case and asked for me to respond. I promptly responded, well within the due date. Once again the BBB asked the business for a response. There was no response, the case was closed unsatisfactory Out of the blue the company responded almost five months to day of the October deadline and the BBB re-opened the case and asked me to respond. Prior to my response, I checked the company BBB rating. Sure enough they had my complaint but now the complaint was administratively closed with a definition which states that despite the company's reasonable efforts the case closed with the customer remains dissatisfied. This was done when I checked the rating, the day I got tne business response that was 5 months late. Nearly, two weeks before my deadline to respond. His responses were late, he did not address my complaints, one being that they were late in completing the job. The case got reopened, twice, and I am made to sound like the bad guy? How about him? Mr. Johnson did not complete this job in a workman like manner causing me current and future dollar damages and in violation of his contract. There are no expansion joints in the pool deck under the flagstone causing an unstable base which will prematurely crack and require expensive repairs. There are cement stains on the pool due to his workmen spilling cement when they poured cement on September 1, 2006. We have made numerous appointments with Mr. Johnson to clean the stains but he never showed at the property. Neither Mr. Johnson nor his employees dressed the property as called for by the contract. Mr. Johnson has never instructed us on the use of the pool and pool equipment as stated in the contract. Mr. Johnson has not given us the starter chemicals as stated in the contract. Mr. Johnson still owes us money for a slide we contracted for but was never delivered by him, causing use to buy one to be installed. Mr. Johnson still owes us money for the spa jets (bubbles) as written in the contract. Finally, the business claims we owe money, which only serves to show he is bargaining in bad faith. Something that Johnson and the BBB obviously don't understand. I guess thats how the BBB gets its leads. Wonder if John Johnson and Emerald Pools are being solicited by the BBB? Dan Corpus Christi, TexasU.S.A. STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, it's paid for!
Entity: San Antonio, Texas
Sep 30 2005
Better Business Bureau - BBB & Conflict of Interest, Ripoff Louisville Kentucky
I filed a complaint with BBB in Louisville, KY in reference to Humana Health Insurance; also in Louisville. Humana's response to BBB denied or did not address my issues, and misrepresented my intended resolution. I responded back to BBB as being very unsatisfied and I found out months later that BBB closed my complaint as resolved. Even at that, I had to email, phone, and then send a letter to BBB in Louisville in order to get a response on how my complaint was tallied. In the process, I found out that Humana is a contributing member to BBB. Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for BBB to hear a complaint about a business that contributes to itself? The following web site brings up the same issue with BBB: (link deleted - left inactive) Hence, I would suggest anyone planning to file a complaint against a business with BBB, they first check to see if the business is a contributing member to BBB. John Woodlawn, KentuckyU.S.A. CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Entity: Louisville, Kentucky
Sep 18 2003
Better Business Bureau, Aka BBB ripoff, deceptive, cowardly, misleading Austin Texas
My original complaint was with a company called Warranty Gold who is ripping off numerous consumers as you can see by searching this badbusinessbureau site. The BBB has taken a cowardly stance about this company. Even though Warranty Gold has ripped people off of thousands and probably millions of dollars the BBB has taken the stance of saying they are updating the company info. Here is what the BBB has to say about this company: The bureau's report on this company is being updated, and no report is available at this time Here is the website to the BBB: http://www.centraltx.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=98013592&national=Y If someone was to look up this company most people would figure there are no complaints against this company and would figure everything is fine. My complaints to the BBB have been ignored and unanswered and I consider this cowardly. Numerous elderly people rely on the BBB to see if there are complaints. Most people if they don't see any complaints from the BBB the company should be OK. Awaiting a responce from the BBB. David Phoenix, ArizonaU.S.A.
Entity: Austin, Texas
Jun 13 2008
Better Business Bureau BBB has no teeth Anon California
I have to say it is true what everyone says that the Better Business Bureau has NO TEETH. The least you could do is refer the victim to where they can find help. What does the BBB do? I have complained about first getting a refund. The business is still in business. I am receiving NUMEROUS complaints from other people after placing a complaint blog online and there are others with similar problems. The reason why there are a lot of bad businesses getting way with crime is because there are no good organizations to help. The BBB might as well NOT be funded by the govt or anyone because the BBB seems quite useless and I will place your reply on blogs. By not trying or helping stop bad business practices you are encouraging bad businesses to understand they can get away with crime. ======================== Subject: BBB Complaint Case#57121593(Ref#24-190062-57121593-3-11100) Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB) regarding your complaint. The complaint was received by the BBB on June 11, 2008 and has been assigned case# 57121593 in our files. We regret to inform you that the BBB cannot process your complaint. The case has been reviewed by one of our Dispute Resolution Specialists and was found to contain issues that are out of the BBB's purview. Items such as criminal allegations, requests for punitive damages, employer/employee disputes, cases already involved in litigation, civil rights violations, collection issues, complaints against companies that are out of business, etc... are not handled by the BBB. For a more detailed explanation of why we are not able to help you and to offer suggestions on where you might be able to go for help, please click on the link listed below. A summary of this complaint case can be seen by clicking here. Thank you for contacting the BBB. Sincerely, Clarissa M. Sagario Dispute Resolution Specialist Tel: 510 844-2006 Fax: 510 844-2606 claire@bbbemail.org Editor none, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Anon, California
Mar 26 2009
BBB ,Better Business Bureau Online Don's Waste your Time Internet
No need to waste your time or effort in filing reports with the BBB on-line. They will NOT do anything for you and make NO EFFORT to actually resolve any issue. If you do not readily accept the so-called resolution of the merchant in question, they will simply close your complaint. Completely worthless organization to the consumer in every way Jd w Carrollton, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Internet
Mar 13 2016
Better Business Bureau (BBB) BBB phony, corrupt, useless, not even taking complaints, using demographic info. on people for profit all cities Internet
BBB DOESN'T EVEN ACCEPT THE COMPLAINT YOU SUBMIT.  THEY MAKE BUSINESSES PAY THEM TO KEEP CLEAN REVIEWS AND HIDE REAL TRUTH.  THEY MAKE YOU ANSWER MANY QUESTIONS JUST TO USE THEIR SERVICE AND THEN SALE THAT INFO. TO OTHER COMPANIES AND GOVT. AGENCIES.  THEY ARE A SICK, CORRUPT, JOKE.  DO NOT PAY THEM A DIME TO REGISTER YOU BUSINESS....ANYONE WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH KNOWS BBB DOESN'T MEAN S* ON A BUSINESS CARD OR BUSINESS WINDOW STICKER.  THEY ARE THE SAME AS YELP......SCUM.
Entity: Internet
Oct 20 2005
Better Business Bureau ripoff, lazy, hypocrites Buffalo New York
I filed a complaint against ViaTalk with the Buffalo BBB. Instead of forwarding my complaint or even investigating my complaint, Carol Bedard said that she will treat my correspondence as information only. Read the complaint I guess the BBB is living proof that ******* is easy. Beverly Denver, ColoradoU.S.A.
Entity: Buffalo, New York
Aug 09 2004
Better Business Bureau Ripoff Sandbagged complaint refused to resolve Anchorage Alaska
In my report about Cost Savers Furniture (aka Samples Furniture), I detailed my experience with their misrepresentation of a $1836 piece of furniture. They represented the piece as solid oak both verbally and in writing, but I discovered after the purchase that it was veneer on particle board. I attempted to return it for a refund within one business day, which Cost Savers refused to do. After this attempt to resolve the dispute with the company, I called the Fairbanks office of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and relayed the above to its representative, Carmen. She contacted Cost Savers, and reported back to me that the store has an all sales final policy and does not accept returns. I repeated my allegation of misrepresentation, but even after faxing her a copy of the receipt she would only acknowledge that there was indeed misrepresentation but then simply repeated the store policy of no returns. Several further contacts with the Fairbanks BBB yielded similar results. I wrote to the Anchorage BBB and ultimately complained about this to Mr. Al Tobin on June 26, 2000. He was very annoyed and curt on the phone with me. He reluctantly agreed to review my complaint if I would send him the appropriate documentation. I did, and received from him a letter dated July 12 denying that Cost Savers and the Fairbanks BBB had done anything wrong. I convinced my credit card issuer (CitiBank USA) to charge back to Cost Savers, and Cost Savers filed for collection. The collection agency sued me, but just before the trial, the Checkworks attorney offered to settle on the terms I had been requesting all along: I return the entertainment center in new condition within 10 days, and they would drop their suit and remove the negative rating in my credit report. I complied fully with the terms of the settlement, and Cost Savers accepted the return. Asked why they sued me, the collection agency attorney told me that Cost Savers had lied to them, too. Having won against Cost Savers, I again contacted Al Tobin of the Alaska BBB. He angrily refused my complaint again, saying that my complaint had been satisfied by the settled suit. I am angry with Cost Savers, to be sure, but I ultimately won the case after spending dozens of hours writing letters such as this one. Yet there is no warning to other potential customers of Cost Savers, thanks to the refusal of the Alaska offices of the BBB to accept a negative report. I am frankly very disillusioned about the BBB at this point. I even tried contacting the national BBB council office to complain about the local and state offices, but they only referred me back to the state office. It is worse to have a corrupt BBB than none at all. David Ester, AlaskaU.S.A. STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, it's paid for!
Entity: Anchorage, Alaska
Dec 13 2007
Better Business Bureau putting false reports in customer complaint data Longwood florida
I am trying to find a decent car to get back and forth to work so far in Volusia county alone I have ripped off twice by two dealerships and I contacted the BBB, I did not hear anything so I look those who stole from me and they say that the complaint was handled.? What I never heard back from anyone. I believe that if you as a company are willing to join the BBB you are hiding from all you bad deeds, It's a shame that the BBB lets people do this they were started to help consumers? I have not seen any of that. So don't bother looking a company up in the BBB because as long as they pay their $250.00 a year the BBB will protect them. Janet Deltona, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Longwood, Florida
Mar 05 2008
BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU DONT TRUST THEIR REPORTS ON COMPANYS HOUSTON Texas
BBB Houston Texas location employees are rude, unknowledgeable, and there supervisors love to make a conversation one sided. For example Dina Turner likes to give her personal opinion on certain companys. Regardless if that certain company has no discrepancys or not. Wonder if thats in her job title. BBB lovesto put down companys that are not members. Perhaps if they lowered there costs for companys it wouldnt be a hardship. So if you are a business owner and someone lies about your company WATCH OUT BBB will see that your not a member and say what ever they want about your company. And if your a consumer and want to know about a company DONT rely on the BBB for the truth. As a owner of a large company , That I am, I wouldnt join BBB if it was free. And for some odd reason if you think i would sit here and waste my time writing this call Dina Turner and talk to her for two min. and see how uneducated she is or speak with Ms. Cooper. Now that lady is crazy. Direct line 713-341-6131 Just say No To BBB Tom p. HOUSTON, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: HOUSTON, Texas