BOOK PUBLISHERS Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: book publishers

There may be more reports for "book publishers"

For more results perform a general search for "book publishers"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

May 09 2010
Publish America Book Publishers wont pay royalties Internet
They have not paid royalty checks for over a year. They have failed to fulfill their side of the contract. I want out of the contract, to receive my royalties and get the pdf files of all of my books!!
Entity: , Internet
Feb 09 2005
Publishers Direct Services ripoff Miami Florida
I was contacte at my place of employment, and like another report I read, the magazines sounded like a great deal. I was not told that I would not be able to cancel my subscription at any time. After a couple of months, I decided to move and go to school. No longer being able to afford the subscription I asked to cancel. I was told that I would not be able to cancel the subscription, if I did, I would have to pay the remaining balance which at the time was over $1000.00. I was furious. Not having $1000.00 to pay I have kept paying the monthly fee. About 3 months after the initial phone call, I received another phone call offering an even better deal for only another $15 per month. I never actually agreed as I did not want the original subscription. So, not only am I paying the 24.90 a month I am paying another $15. As I was looking over the accout the payment is taken from, I noticed the the $15 was taken out 4 times. I tried to call the number but it was after hours, then I tried to get on their website, but it is constantly unavailable. I am furious about this company and would love for something to be done about the situation. Michelle lakewood, ColoradoU.S.A.
Entity: Miami, Florida
Feb 24 2003
National Publishers Exchange ripoff Clearwater Florida
this company started sending me different publications I never ordered, like Times, Fortune magazines among others. I would like to be taken off their list of clients, which I was never one to begin with. it is very difficult to cancel multiple subscriptions I never ordered, and it is impossible to contact this company so they can stop sending me these publications I do not want. Ruben Lawrenceville, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: Clearwater, Florida
Oct 29 2004
National Financial Publishers ripoff Riverside California
I placed an order with this company for some grant books using my credit card, but never received. Gary adelanto, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Riverside, California
Oct 24 2007
SEF Publishers Major Ripoff Bradenton Florida
I have been doing bussness with this company for over a yaer now. To begin with the charged me double a couple of months. I called to find out what the problem was I was told it was a mistake but the subscription will just be paid off all the sooner. So I said fine but it cant happen again cause $58.27 twice a month is gonna hurt me my budget.He said it wont happen again he was taking care of it will I was on the phone with him. It continued to happen and I called often to have it taken care of. I said if you cant get it taken care of I need to cancel my account the told me I couldn't. Then after I should have already been paid off they charged $582.70 Which caused my account to over draft. I called and was very upset. They did refund that amount right away. And said my account is paid in full. I told them I believed I was being over charged for months. So I double checked my account and I had to print out my personal bank statements as far back as I could and faxed it to them on in the end of September. They did send me a check for $306.00 and said the account is closed. They were suposed to send me a leter stating that a month ago I still havent recieved it and have been charged over $400.00 since the account was supposidly closed. I call every time I get charged and all I have to do is say my first name and they transfer my to a superviser. I asked what in the heck is causeing the problem and she said it is a computer error. I also asked if this is happening or has ever happened to other customers and they said NO>>>> Well that was a lie..now im waiting tfor a letter and another refund of $285.35 This company is very shady dont ever do busness with them!!!!!!! Faith Brodhead, WisconsinU.S.A.
Entity: Bradenton, Florida
Oct 18 2006
MAYRAND PUBLISHERS ripoff Champlain New York
One of our managers got a call from this company stating that they were calling about a renewal to the White Pages - so our manager gets a call from Quality Assurance) and confirmed the information that they had and you know they got her on tape confirming the address and information for them - THEN arriving in the mail is a CD that she never requested (but on their tape she is being told all about it) and an invoice for $409.90 TOTAL dated 9/25 but not arriving until the second week in OCTOBER - conveniently AFTER the 14 day period stated on the invoice that you have to cancel and ship back the stupid thing. She called them and got a MARK in Accounts Receivable - who was a condescending jerk to her- he said he would check into it and call her back and NEVER did - at this point she sends it to me in Accounts Payable to handle. I called them on 10/16 and left a message with our company name, my phone # and the invoice #. Two days later this MARK person calls me back and is totally condescending to me and acting like we don't have any other option but to pay for this RIP-OFF that they pulled on us. ANYWAY, I got them to play the recording of our manager to me and taped it myself so I could play it for the manager in question - she says YEP it was her on the tape (I already knew that) BUT that the other person on the line is not the same person she talked to. HMMMM - so makes me assume that they are not only ripping off unsuspecting businesses they are tampering with the recordings of the conversations to justify the invoice sent out. Another thing - I went to the website that MARK told me we were supposedly listed on as part of this rip-off (www.mayrandpublishers.com) and low and behold this is what I got at the top of the page NOTICE:This Domain Name EXPIRED on 10/08/06 and is pending renewal or deletion talk about adding insult to injury. Needless to say we are NOT paying this invoice DeeDee Lansing, MichiganU.S.A.
Entity: Champlain, New York
7, Report #820173
Jan 09 2012
American Publishers Services Dishonest Morristown, Tennessee
I was contacted and told that I had won a $500 Wal-Mart gift card and a magazine subscription for five years.  I was told all I was going to have to do was pay the shipping for the magazines.  They then asked me if I was willing to pay the shipping which was going to be a one time fee of $49.90.  I said I agreed.They proceded to ask me for my credit card or debit card number for the $49.90 which I gave them.  I gave it to them thinking they were legit.  They took the $49.90 out, then told me it was going to be once a month.  I told them I could not afford that. They said I could not cancel because I had agreed to it earlier in the conversation.  I do feel they lyed to me about winning the gift card and the magazine subscription.  I have NEVER received anything in the mail from them. Not the gift card or a magazine.  Not even something to fill out about which magaines I wanted.  These people are a rip off.  DO NOT speak to them.  If they call you HANG UP!!!!!
Entity: Morristown, Tennessee
Sep 08 2012
Shiel & Denver Book Publishers Beware of Shiel and Denver Book Publisher's fraudulent business practices. Houston, Texas
Shiel & Denver Book Publishers have an elaborate and attractive webpage.  For $799.00 they offer many perks.  These include the following:  quick publication of your book, full color pictures inside and full color cover, worldwide retail distribution, one-on-one author support, money back guarantee, local bookstore availability, 50% author royalties and quarterly royalty payments, personalized back cover and spine, author webpage in the S & D bookstore, online book sales and royalty accounting, e-book distribution and availability, and free soft-cover copies to the author. Shiel & Denver published my book in August.  In my case, they did not deliver on any of these services.  Here is what Shiel & Denver did for this author:  1) They took three months so publish my book.  2) They were slow and inadequate in responding to my inquiries as to their progress on the book  3) They did not edit my book or even read it.  4) They did not and will not distribute my book to any bookstore.  5) They did list my book for sale online at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. However, both online stores showed no cover design for the book - only the words (not available). 6) My book was not featured as a new release in either online bookstore.  7) When a friend brought me a copy of the book for me to autograph, I was appalled when I saw the inferior quality of this paperback.  The back cover of the book was a black wordless page.  The photos inside were black-and-white photocopies that were so obscure that they were unrecognizable.  8) When I registered my complaints about their shabby treatment of my book and me (its author), they were slow to reply.  When they did reply, the tenor of the response was vindictive.  Without a doubt, Shiel & Denver is a fraudulent publishing company.  I have been ripped off and plan to participate in a class action suit against Shiel and Denver.
Entity: Houston, Texas
Jun 22 2010
Publish America Book Publishers gave me a release date on a book that no one can order Internet
Publish America published a book for me and I was given a release date of May 24,2010, on June 26th I had a book signing at borders which had to be cancelled because no one can order the book. It's either out of stock, on demand but you still can't get it, I have called publish America which you get an answering machine and no one calls you back. When I am done here I intend to call the Attorney Generals Office to put a complaint in against them.  We should all get together and get a class action suit against them. Let all get together and get a class action suit going .  Please email me. This company should not be allowed to operate. I think we all agree on that principle, well lets not cry about what they are doing lets do something.
Entity: , Internet
Oct 05 2012
International Masters Publishers IMP Company Ripoff Montoursville, Pennsylvania
 I started getting Mind, Body, Spirit Collection last year. I thought it would be a good collection to have considering it included, Yoga, Feng Shui, Crystals, Herbs, Aromatherapy, Astrology, etc. I started getting the cards and the binders with no problem and it wasn't until about two months ago that I noticed that I still needed like a hundred cards to complete the set.  And, it was starting the get old and looking forward to completing the set. No, I didn't added up how much it was costing me because I thought it was a good set to have for future use. I had three binders and was noticing that the binders were completely full and couldn't put anymore in, so I contacted IMP about purchasing another binder. Which they responded pretty quickly and said they would send one out without cost. Cool. I waited a month and didn't get it so I contacted them again and they asked for me to wait another week. If I didn't get it to contact them again. Which I did when it didn't arrive and they said they'd send out another, which I did 3 weeks later.  I had also noticed that the cards stopped coming and I still needed 81 cards to complete the set. I called and they said that they discontinued the set and couldn't get anymore cards. So, I also contacted the customer service rep that I had been coresponding with reference the binder. I received notification today that there wouldn't be anymore cards.  So, now I don't have a complete set and missing 81 cards. This is a ripoff and I would recommend anyone considering starting their collection, don't.  Save yourself the money and headache. I hope they go out of business.
Entity: Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Apr 11 2014
Jan 23 2004
United Sales And Book Publishers ripoff North Miami Beach Florida
I sent $139 in December and the check was cashed in early January. I have yet to receive the goods. Margot Vallejo, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: North Miami Beach, Florida
Dec 05 2009
Publish America Book Publishers, publishamerica.net, To categorize these people with the nazis, would be an insult to the nazis, Internet
My search for these jokers began, with a blog which I had read on a popular poetry website. The blogger boasted how she landed a 7 book contract with publish america. Wow!... I thought to myself. I contacted the company, and things seemed to be okay. I was then told that they only accept one manuscript at a time, and that there are no contracts for multiple submissions. Seems this blogger was a publish america plant Then I get a contract which I had signed, giving the publisher 7 years of possession of my book. I got that big one dollar advance on my book, which is an insult.  I received no real author support, just the printed book, and no information on my royalties, and the structure of the royalties. If you're an attorney, and you're reading this...I would like to nail these morons to the wall.
Entity: Frederick, Maryland, Internet
Sep 05 2007
Publishers Business Services - Publishers Direct FRAUD SCAM Miami Florida
Publishers Business Services makes calls to persons at work, promissing to arrange for magazines to be sent at a discount, for as much as 5 years. YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TRACK YOUR MONEY. THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY but ANOTHER COMPANY places the subscription order with the magazines. That company is DIRECT BUSINESS SERVICES and is known by mags as the agency and they use various Florida addresses. There is NO RECORD OF THIS company's name with the Secretary of State in Florida, Nevada or California (ones I searched). When you want to CANCEL WITH MAGAZINE they say you MUST CONTACT THE AGENCY who placed the order. Also, the Magazines will NOT reveal if any money has been paid to them. They say all info MUST come from the Agency. A full investigation MAY reveal that many magazine publishers are PART OF THE SCAM and benefit greatly by getting extreme amounts of money from you through this phantom AGENCY with whom you never contracted. Magazines agree to cancel your issues, and PUBLISHERS BUSINESS SERVICES KEEPS all your money. So question is WHAT DID THEY DO WITH YOUR MONEY? File complaint with the Attorney General of your state and Florida and Nevada. Also file complaint with FTC if they harass you. And report your experience to Ripoff Report so others will know about this scam. Mary Oceanside, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Miami, Florida
Aug 08 2014
Entertainment Book Charges your card without consent Nationwide
I ordered the $5 special Entertainment Book for 2014. It was on sale simply because the year was half over (I ordered in June 2014). In the prompts it asks you specifically if you want to be an annual member, and I chose the NO option. Here it is, August 2014, and they charge my card $30. I call to find out what it is about and they say that I chose to be an annual member when I purchased the book in June, because otherwise I would not have received the book. Not true. A friend who referred me to purchase the book also selected to NOT be an annual member, got the book, and ended up charged for the 2015 book in August. I haven't gotten the Entertainment Book in YEARS simply because it has never been worth the money to me; not enough places in there that are actually local or that I frequent. Well, I thought things had changed. Not much has!! Still the same useless coupons to places I would never go. Only a few coupons worthwhile. VERY disappointing. I'll be returning the book as soon as it gets here, since customer service wanted to argue wtih me and NOT refund the money and basically call me a liar. You need to check your system folks...there was an option to NOT become an annual member, and I selected it. Perhaps that's why the hold time was so ridiculous - too many people charged $30 out of the blue for something they didn't want!
Entity: Nationwide
Jan 07 2013
Magazine Publishers Service Wouldn't allow me to cancel subscribtion. Montreal, Quebec
received a phone call from this company giving me a very fast and confusing sales pitch for magazines. I don't even know why i fell for this hard sell tactic.  after receiving the first 4 magazines i realized that i really didn't want all these magazines and called them to cancel the subscriptions.  I also realized that I was paying an exorbitant price compared to the shelf prices you might pay at any store.  almost $60 a month for 12 months. i just paid the remainder of my account off via credit card just to stop them from calling me.  i couldn't afford this and now i feel sick that i let them talk me into such a rotten deal.
Entity: Montreal, Quebec
Apr 05 2013
Associated Publishers Association Bogus magazine subscriptions. Henderson, Nevada
In January, 2013, I responded to a solicitation from APN to renew my subscription to the Economist magazine for one year for $179.95. I sent them a check for that amount plus their re-subscribe form. In March of 2013, I received a second solicitation from APN for the same re-subscription and decided to call their provided customer service phone number to inquire. The APN agent advisd me that they had never received my January payment and that I should check with my bank. I obtained a copy of my canceled check from my bank showing deposit in to a Wells Fargo bank in Arizona, presumably APN's account. I contacted Wells Fargo and they would give me no information re: the associated deposit number account. I then called the Economist subscription department and their agent explained that APN was not authorized to represent the Economst and that the Economist had an active case against the APN with the Federal Trade commission for fraud.
Apr 20 2013
Associated Publishers Network APN Misleading Tactics to Take Your Money Henderson, Nevada
I received a what appeared to be a renewal notice from Time Magzaine from this company and paid for a renewal 2/17/13. I then received a bill from Time Magazine for a renewal. I called to explain that I had already paid and learned that 1) they did not receive an order for a renewal 2) they know of this company and are aware of consumer complaints 3) I was told I should try to get my money back. I will be issuing a chargeback through my bank in the hopes of reclaiming the money I paid for nothing. It's a very misleading scam.
Jul 08 2013
Publishers Clearing House Doubled my magazine subscription Internet
 Every once in a while I succumb to playing in Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes.  One of the items I ordered through them was a bargain subscription to Smithsonian magazine.  Several weeks after ordering through PCH I got a bill from Smithsonian, which I promptly paid.  Last week I received two issues each of the June and July issues.   I tried to find a way to report this through the PCH website and to get some advice on how to stop one of them, either PCH or Smithsonian, from continuing to send a magazine.  The PCH website is impenetrable except for numerous ways to get you back to playing their games.  You can't find a way to email them and there is no phone number.  Heaven knows what would happen if you tried to write to them.  So I took the easy way out and called Smithsonian, which mercifully prints a phone number to reach their subscription office right in their magazine.  Smithsonian promptly cancelled the subscription for me. I am just waiting to see what happens when PCH sends their bill.  If they charge me more than the $10 advertised price I will be right back to report to this rip-off site.  I will certainly never play in Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes again, simply to avoid the memory of having to deal with them.
Dec 26 2013
Oct 25 2015
Publishers Clearing House Failure to pay one million dollar scratch off Internet
During a recent sweepstakes mailing, there was a scratch card. I scratched off the silver covering and it stated I had won one million dollars. In the next mailing the scratch card said I had won Ten Thousand Dollars. Nobody from PCH ever contacted me regarding my winnings. I know both cards were properly signed and returned in the reply envelope. They say no purchase is necessay to win but I think they open the envelope and seeing no purchase of thier overpriced  junk, they throw out the envelope with the scratch card enclosed. Since I thought I was dealing with a large, honest company I did not make a copy of the two winning cards. I hope that if your still foolish to enter thier sweepstakes and play the scratch card, you make a photo copy of the wining scratch. Just mailing it in without buy some of thier junk, you can for get seeing anything from PCH.
Feb 29 2016
Associated Publishers Network Magazine renewal request scam Internet
On October 5, 2015 I wrote a check and mailed it to  Country Magazine. Talking to them today, it was confirmed that they had received that check and extended my subscription as expected. Further, I asked them about a check that I wrote on October 22, 2015 to Associated Publishers Network for the amount of $59.95 to subscribe to Country Magazine. They had no awareness of Associated Publishers Network and had never received any payment for my account from them. Looking at the BBB report on Associated Publishers Network, I realize that I've been scammed along with many others. Thankfully for ONLY $59.95. However, that is $59.95 of my hard earned money. Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 1, 2016 I will file a complaint with the Arkansas Attorney General.
Aug 19 2014
PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE PCH.COM NO CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSE - SENT TO COLLECTIONS LAWRENCEVILLE Georgia
Tried to invoice my 84 year old mother for a product she never ordered. I have been paying her bill for the past 2 years. I asked for proof of purchase and they sent it to collections instead. I just sent second dispute letter to them. They have now discounted the price by 30% if I pay now. All this effort for $20. Why would I pay them anything for poor customer service and unethical behavior. Stay far away from PCH.COM and publishing clearing house.
Nov 15 2005
Publishers Business Services RIPOFF! Deceptive phone scam! Magazine subscription ripoff! Henderson Nevada
I am writing for a co-worker, who was scammed into purchasing magazines, he actually had no interest in whatsoever! Apparently, Publishers Business Services (PBS) called him at our work, and asked him questions that led him into the purchase. He doesn't even know how it happened, except that he now has magazines coming to both work and home, of which he doesn't care to receive. He had no intention of purchasing magazines that day or any other day, and ended up with over $700 to be debited from his account over a period of two years! His wife tried to cancel and was told, it was a non cancellable contract, he agreed to, and it was recorded. I believe after talking to him, this recorded agreement has been spliced and questions asked are not the same that he answered. Very tricky and deceptive of PBS! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM! Debbie Lorton, VirginiaU.S.A.
Oct 22 2004
Winners Choice Publishers rip-off! Norcross Georgia
This company is a joke is should have been shut down long ago. They have no license to do what they do, they charge your account like they charged my account without permission. I was cursed at and called profane names. Please shut this company down they do not need to be doing business with anyone! Clarrence Covington, KentuckyU.S.A.
Entity: Norcross, Georgia