CARMAX Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: carmax

There may be more reports for "carmax"

For more results perform a general search for "carmax"

Showing 51-75 of 432 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "carmax"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jun 02 2003
Carmax Major Lemon from Carmax ripoff business from hell Davie Florida
In May 2001, I bought my second car from my neighborhood Carmax.It was a 1996 Ford Windstar with 39,000 miles for $11,900. I financed it with Carmax at the excellent rate of 18%. I drove it for a week before I took it back for seeping water in to the rear seating area and screeching belt noise. I noticed a tough gear changing but didn't mention it due to Carmax's so called impeccable reputation for checking out cars. In July, I drove to Florida to NY and at the begining of September, the cars transmission blew. I had put 2000 miles on it. I took it to a mecanic who inspected it and said it did not have the original transmission in it. It had been rebuilt. I paid $1500 to replace it. The cars transmission continued to give me problems. The rotors went out. I replaced those. The mecanic said the car had more than 40,000 miles. I have since investigated the minivan and its had a history of problems. Eventually, I had it towed from Georgia back to New York ($600) when it broke down on my trip back to Florida. I took it back to my mecanic and he repaired it again at no charge. He insisted that it was the van from hell. In November with only 44,000 miles on the car I took it to Carmax. Once there I explained my situation and was told I could trade it in for $5000 because of 9/11 and the transmission (really!!!) they said the car had devalued $7000!!! I spoke to the manager and he restated the previous offer to buy back the car for $5000. In three months my used car was worth 7 grand less than what I paid. Since then, the car has a had broken ignition swith, tires blew out on the highway, the alternator blew, the battery went, the rear ac blows hot and the transmission had to be replaced again ($2200). The car has 70,000 miles and its value is somewhere between $2000 and $2500 retail. Unfortunately, I still owe $4000 on it. Antonio Coral Springs, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Davie, Florida
Mar 17 2012
Carmax-Plano Carmax of Plano, TX Sold me a car that was unsafe to drive! Plano, Texas
I would not recommend Carmax of Plano, TX to anyone. Their website claims that they do a 125 point inspection and spend an average of 12 hours going over each car before they put it on their lot for sale.  Nothing could be further from the truth.I bought a 2008 Pontiac G6 from Carmax Plano and my experience with them turned into a nightmare.  After I purchased the car, I started hearing noises from the front of the car and noticed the car wobbled when I applied the brakes.  I took the car to Christian Brothers Automotive and the mechanic said that the car needed these items repaired.All brake pads replacedBoth tie rods replaced (part of the steering linkage)All four rotors needed to be replaced as they were warped beyond repairTransmission fluid was dirty and needed to be changedBrake fluid was very dirty and needed to be changedI took the car back to Carmax Plano and left the car with them along with the list of the repairs needed.  My service advisor, James, called me later that day and said that the car was unsafe to drive because of the tie rods (which are part of the steering linkage) were bad and needed to be replaced.  He also agreed that the brakes were bad and all four rotors were bad.  James refused to change the transmission fluid and brake fluid and would only resurface the rotors, not replace them as the mechanic said is what needed to be done. So they put a car that was unsafe to drive on their lot for sale.  What about their so-called 125 point inspection that they claim is done on every car?They gave me a loaner car to drive for about five days while my was being repaired.  When I finally got the car back, I noticed a rattling noise coming from under the car.  I took it back to them and they had to take it to a GM dealer to find out that a brake cable had come loose.Got the car back and there was another rattling noise.  Took it back to Carmax and they found that a heat shield by the muffler was loose.  This was repaired. Got the car back and noticed another rattling noise that I could hear when the windows were down. Again, I took the car back to Carmax Plano and they could not find anything wrong with it.  I took it to a GM dealer myself and they found out that Carmax had replaced the brake pads with the wrong ones.  The dealer installed the correct brake pads.James had promised me he would order a replacement remote control as one was broken.  On one of my numerous trips to Carmax Plano, I asked if it had arrived yet, only to find out James had never ordered it.I had enough at this point and asked to speak to the manager, Nate.  I asked Nate him for his assistance to help me get the remote.  Much to my astonishment, he said I have 180 employees and over 3000 customers per month and I dont have time.   He said I would have to deal with the service advisor, James, to which I replied that was the reason I was talking him, because I was not having much luck with James.  I asked Nate that if I could not get this small issue resolved with James, would he step in to help. He flat out said no.   I could not believe a manager had this type of attitude problem and wondered how someone with his personality became a manager.   I called the Carmax corporate office and spoke with a lady in customer service about everything that had happened.  She said she was taking notes and would get back with me. Never heard from her but was not surprised at this point.  So with was my experience with Carmax Plano and if you dont want to possibly go through what I went through, buy your car from somewhere else.
Entity: Plano, Texas
Jun 05 2009
Carmax Carmax warranty is useless and their service department is horrid Columbia South Carolina
Bought a van from carmax last summer with a bumper to bumper warranty. AC broke this summer. Took it there to get repaired. Was told that we would owe $75 if covered under warranty and if not, then whatever the total cost would be. They worked on the AC, while doing that they broke another piece and couldnt fix that piece. They tried to get the warranty company to cover the charges. The warranty company said no, it is not covered. Sales manager said that we are responsible for entire cost and overpriced labor costs. What about your piece of crap warranty that is bumper to bumper? Apparently just a joke. When we dropped the van off, they asked if they could wash and vacuum the vehicle and we said yes. I picked the van up today, it was a mess. Nothing was done to it. Do not shop or buy at Carmax unless you completely want to be ripped off and treated like crap. They are awful to work with. heather lexington, South CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Columbia, South Carolina
54, Report #1020753
Feb 26 2013
CARMAX Carmax used fraudant means to lowball the value of my car Internet
On July 15, 2012 I went to Carmax Dealership in Torrance Ca. I was laid off as a Police Officer after 34 years and needed funds to cover our rent etc. I had a clean 1999 Cadillac Deville with only 120,000 miles on it. I knew going in I wouldn't get a high blue book but maybe something in between. I paid $5,000. for it two years prior. The Carmax inspector told me that my car had prior frame damage.  When I was at home later, I observed on another page in his report from autocheck, that my vehicle had no frame damage reported. Based on that info they offered me $1,000.! I was upset with the Cadillac dealership that sold me my vehicle. I started legal proceedings against them. On July 26, 2012 my wife was rear ended while driving my vehicle. Farmers Insurance Adjuster filed a 28 page report which indicated also that my vehicle did not have any frame damage until the accident on July 26th. Farmers also valued my vehicle at $5,426.63.
Entity: , Internet
Jun 19 2013
Carmax Carmax sold me a vehicle with MAJOR INTERNAL ENGINE FAILURE Henderson Nevada
To Whom it may concern,02/2013- I purchased a 2008  Mazda CX 7. Brought it home and noticed it was making a purring noise when driving. Called the service department and was told the soonest they could get it in would be march 5th.03/05/13- I brought the car in for service. Drove with a technician and pointed out the noise. He said it sounded like a CV boot. I asked the representative Jason how long it is going to take to fix and he said it should be done by 6pm. I asked if I could get a loaner for the day and they put me in a loaner and sent me on my way. I received a call at 3pm stating that its not the CV boot and carmax is trying to diagnose the problem and they will keep me informed. I received “keep informed” phone calls from Jason every day. He told me that car max is still trying to diagnose the problem and they cant figure out what it is. 03/08/13- Received a daily “keep informed call from Jason stating that car max could not figure out the problem so they sent the car to Mazda to see if they could diagnose the problem. 03/09/13- Received a phone call from the service manager Jim. He said its looking like the whole engine in the car needs to be replaced so I would be better off getting a different car because hes seen it in his 9 years of experience where engines are replaced and the mechanisms don’t work well together and the air conditioner goes out. I told him I wouldn’t have a problem getting another car as long as it’s the same car for the same price. He told me he would have my sales guy Rory contact me to see what they can do. Rory calls me and asks me to come in after work and he would go over inventory with me. I go in after work and sit down with Rory. He pulls up inventory and says all other cars like mine are more expensive and my payment would go up. I told him Im not willing to make a higher payment. He said he would partner with higher management to see what they can do for me and he would contact me to let me know.03/11/13- Received a call from Rory saying there is a car in Kansas that they could have shipped here for me. I asked if it’s the same price and he said its $4000 more but they would work with me. I tell him not to send the car here if they cant give it to me for the same price. He said just let them get the car here and they will work with the price.03/14/13-03/22/13- Heard nothing about my car.. Only follow up calls from Jason asking how the loaner is doing03/26/13- I contacted carmax corporate office explaining everything that has happened. I told them the loaner car that they gave me does not fit my needs, and asked if I still had to make a payment on the car and they said yes.. Received a phone call from jim at the Henderson store. He said they will have another loaner car for me that fits my needs if I want to come pick it up. I told him I would be there in the morning. I make a payment on the car of $***.00. I receive a phone call from Jim. He says I can call corporate all I want, the only thing they are going to do is call the store and voice my concerns..03/27/13- I picked up a second loaner vehicle 2008 Mazda CX 7. The car was just like mine so I was happy.03/28/13- received a phone call from Rory saying the car from Kansas is in and asked if Id like to take a look at it. I went in after work.. the car was just like mine, same color all the same options except it was a year older and $4000 more expensive. I told Rory im not willing to make a higher payment due to their mistake. A manger by the name of Robert came out and said they are willing to take off $1000 of the price. I told him again Im not willing to make a higher payment. He proceeded to tell me it’s a more reliable vehicle and if the engine in my car is replaced, then the seat mechanism is going to go out. Rory asked me to sit down with him so he can run some numbers. So I sit down with him and he says they payment would be more expensive and he will partner with the management team on Monday because they are all on an easter getaway for the weekend. I ask if I can get my things out of my car and they said sure and take me to where my car is. My car is parked in the front lot accessible to anyone at anytime under a tree!!3/29/13 - 4/3/13- Heard nothing regarding my car except from Jason doing  follow up calls on the loaner vehicle.4/4/13- Required by work to go to a National childcare conference in reno. Pre pay $250 each for Friday session and $250.00 each for Saturday session. $210.00 for Hotel in Reno for Thursday night and Friday night. A coworker and I leave las Vegas a 4pm in the CX7. We stop and get gas in tonapah which is about 250 miles from Las Vegas. 50 miles later the check engine light comes on. Then we hear a rattling noise and the car wont accelerate. We pull over, shut off the car and white smoke is pouring out from under the hood. We run from the car. A highway patrol car stops and gives us a number to a tow truck compay, says he will be back to check on us and leaves. Its 7:30 at night, the sun has gone down and we are stuck in the middle of the desert. Its cold, raining and pitch black outside! I call car max and speak to Tim. I explain everything that is happening and he asks if I have a credit card to charge a tow truck on. I tell him no. he asks for the number to the tow truck company and says he has to ask his boss if they are able to pay for the truck. He calls back and says they will pay for a tow truck and there is one in route for us and he will have someone from car max call me in the morning and let me know whats going on.. We turn the flashers on so at least we will have some kind of light. 8:30p the battery dies in the car and now we are sitting in complete darkness. The tow truck gets there ar 9:30pm, loads up the car and takes us to the best western in tonapah where car max has paid for a room for the night for us. We get to the room and ask if there is anything to eat or drink and the man in the lobby says he has boiled eggs and oats. No bottles water and nothing is open this late. So we go back up to the room and go to sleep. –( Please see picture attached.. This is not anywhere I would want any of my loved ones to stay ever!!! )4/5/13- 8:12am I receive a phone call from Jim and he says the car is at a shop in tonapah and they are trying to find the car. 9:02am receive a call from Jim saying they found the car and they are trying to figure out the problem and if they can fix it. He will keep me updated. 10:07am Received a call from jim. He says the car has a blown head gasket and they cant fix it in tonapah and they will see if they can get a rental car to me or a taxi or something.  9:00am- call the hotel in reno and ask them if they are able to refund our hotel for thurday night since we broke down and didn’t make it. They say they cant refund our hotel and they cancelled our reservations because we were a no show and they are all sold out for the weekend because theres 3 conferences and all hotels are probably going to be sold out. 10:57am- Jim calls and says the nearest rental car place is 82 miles from tonapah and they only have 2 employees and are not willing to bring us a car. So car max is going to send a tow truck with another loaner car. He says his google maps is telling him there is a coffee shop a half a mile up the road if we want to grab something to eat. But we don’t have a car and Im not walking a half a mile up the road in a strange deserted town!!. 11:29am- Jim calls and says the loaner car is on the way. 1:30pm- the hotel lobby calls and says we have to leave our room because they gave it to someone else and they are all booked up for the night. So we take all of our things and sit on a couch in the lobby. 3:14p- Jim calls and says the tow truck is 70 miles away. 4:55pm- we are still waiting in the lobby. I call Jim to see if he can tell me how far the tow truck is. He calls back at 4:57pm and says there was confusion with the tow truck driver and he is 90 miles away. 7:00pm the tow truck driver gets there with the loaner car which is a Honda fit. He says sorry it took him so long, they sent him to the wrong dealership to pick up the loaner. 7:30pm we start our journey back to Las Vegas because our hotel in reno cancelled our reservations and we didn’t want to get out there with nowhere to stay. I call Jim and let him know the loaner got to us and ask him if id be able to switch it out with a different car because my children and all their belongings will not fit in this car. He says that will be no problem. I also ask him if I will be able to get all my belongings out of the broken car and he says it should be back on the lot so that should be a problem either.4/6/13- I go to car max to get my things out of the broken loaner and to switch the Honda Fit for something larger because I have children and they will not fit in a Honda fit. The gentleman at the counter his name was Branton, says they have a limited amount of loaners but he will see what he can do. I ask him about the broken car and he says there are so many CX7’s out there I will have to wait until Monday to get my things.  They put me in a Haundai Tuscan. I drive away, get on the freeway and notice its shaking. I pull over and look around the car and there is a rip in the back drivers side tire. I go to the store on Sahara and explain everything, show them the tire and they put me in a Nissan altima. I drive home and notice the brakes are squeaking and grinding. (please see attached picture of the tire)4/8/13- I go to car max this morning to get my things out of the broken loaner car. Jim and I walk around the lot and cant find it. He says he will call me when he finds it. I tell him about the loaner I have now and that the brakes are squeaking and grinding and the check engine light comes on and he says they have a limited amount of loaners and sends me on my way. 7:50am- I receive a call from Jim saying he found the car and would like to know if I want to come get my things out of it. I tell him I’m on my way to work to find out if I still have a job because I missed the required national conference I was supposed to be at. He asks me what was in the car and I tell him, my garage door opener, a pink case with a strap for my iphone, CDs in the center compartment, my Aux jack, a bag of soaps and body products from Lush,  receipts and insurance paperwork in my glove compartment. He says none of that is in there except for the receipts in the glove compartment.  So someone took all my things!!Total amount of money lost because of all this..1 day of pay from work for me and my coworker.. $1000.00 total for conference we didn’t make it to$210.00 for hotel in reno$***.00 I paid on the car that has been sitting in the front lot at Carmax in Henderson for almost 2 months$***.00 a month in insurance for a car I cant drive$50.00 in Gas I put in the CX7 right before it broke down.4/8/13- Called carmax corporate office and spoke to Vicki Waters. I explain everything that has happened and she asks me to send her an email of the expenses lost because of this. I send her an email at 12pm. Received an email back from Vicki at 1:37pm saying she reached out to a senior manager at the store and is waiting for a response. Received a kept in form call from Jason at 2:08pm. He said he is so sorry that all this has happened and he hopes it all gets resolved soon.4/9/13- 11:00 received daily “keep inform” call from Jason. He said he is trying to keep his eye out for a different loaner car but right now they only have a chevy aveo and that’s smaller then the car I have now.   4/10/13- 12:40pm received a phone call from Mike at the Henderson store. He said car max is not responsible for any expenses that I have encored because of their car breaking down. I asked him about the items left in the car that someone had taken and he said I would need to contact the tow truck company because no one from car max would of taken my things. He said hes reading my ticket and the engine is in for my car and a mechanic named Davis is working on it.4/26/13- Make another payment on the car I have not been able to driveMay 2, 2013- Pick up another loaner car from carmax.May 7, 2013- CarMax calls and says the new engine is in the car and they replaced the oil pump and the timing chain. they said they test drove it today and its leaking oil so theyre taking the engine out to figure out where the leaks are coming from.May 9, 2013- CarMax calls and says they took my car to Mazda because they couldn't figure out the problem.May 14, 2013- CarMax calls and says there is an electrical problem with the car.May 18, 2013- My car is sitting in the front lot at CarMaxMay 23, 2013- CarMax calls and says they are pulling the transmission out because there are leaks and they cant figure out where they are coming from.May 24, 2013- CarMax calls and says they need to replace some seals and a bushing in the transmission and the car should be done.May 26, 2013 - Make third payment on the car I still have not been able to driveJune 5, 2013- CarMax calls and says my car is finished.June 12, 2013- I pick my car up at 7pm at nightJune 13, 2013- I drove 10 miles to work. The check engine light came on and the oil light came on. The car was making a high pitch squealing noise, clunking from under the car, it wasn't shifting or going over 40mph. I called CarMax and told them Im bringing it in. I brought the car in and the service manager asked to go on a test drive with me. He turns the car on and sees the check engine light and oil light. he gets out of the car and opens the hood. He checks the dip stick.. He closes the hood and we go for a drive. He gets to the stop sign and when he accelerated he heard the clunking. He says sounds like we lost something then he said Im not going to take it any further and He drives it back to the service bay. He asks me to sit down in his office with the service manager and he says someone will call me by the end of the day to let me know what they are going to do. I ask if they are going to give me a loaner car and he says no your car should be safe to drive to and from work. So I ask who to call when the car breaks down and he said to call the service desk. I pull off the lot in my broken car. I get 5 miles down the road and turn around. I go back to the CarMax and tell them I have 2 small children and its hot outside.. I don't feel safe driving this car. They ask me to have a seat in the waiting area. The service manager comes up to me and says they are going to put me in a loaner. He says the car looks like it could have some transmission problems and some engine problems and someone will call me to keep me updated.6/14/13- I call Carmax to find out if there is any updates on my car. Jim, the service manager says the car is at Amco and gives me the phone number. He said he has no news on the car.6/17/13- Carmax calls at 5:45pm and says my car is at Amco for the transmission but Amco wont touch it until the engine problem is fixed.6/18/13- Received NO follow up callIm displeased with the service I have received from CarMax in Henderson NV. I feel like they are treating me the way they are because I am a female. Im beyond angry that they sold me a vehicle that had so many issues when they pride themselves on their 125 point inspections and their Used car guarantees. I have made 3 payments and I am continuing to make monthly payments and insurance payment on a car I drove for 3 weeks which I feel is completely unfair. I feel like Carmax should be paying the payment since they sold me a vehicle with major internal engine failure. Please let me know if there is anything else needed. Thank you for taking time to hear my concerns and I hope someone can help me resolve this soon or I will be seeking legal advice.
Entity: Henderson, Nevada
Jun 19 2013
CARMAX SUPER STORE carmax sold us a salvage car without disclosing duarte California
My company is the victim of careless actions and illegal sales of SALVEGED auto by CARMAX auction. Not only am I out the money from buying back this 2006 Toyota Corolla from my retail client, which I purchased from CARMAX auction, Duarte CAL. on 5/8/2012. I have spent long hours talking to CARMAX people, which none cared. My car store “ONTARIO BEST AUTO SALES “-in Ontario California, is like a piece of sand compared to the ocean of CARMAX, but this should not mean CAMAX  to step on me. I finally decided to let all the people on top of this organization to know what is going on and at what cost to so many of like me ,the CARMAX has become this giant in the industry of used car sales. after almost two months calling,writting and faxing carmax does not want to buy the car back from us.they cheated my company of about $10000.00 they have made all the policies to thier benefit and every time i talk ,they bring up thier policy .which is to ripoff people and small business like mine.stay away from carmax,they are consider themselves so big that they step on you like you are a roach.
Entity: duarte, California
May 16 2017
Carmax Rivergate Madison/ Carmax 100 Oaks Nashville TN Carmax Rivergate Madison TN 100 Oaks Nashville pretending to fix your vehicle for easy money Carmax Rivergate Madison TN Carmax 100 Oaks Nationwide
 I'm absolutely disappointed with Carmax. My car needed Spark Plugs on which they said that they will repair and install. However the technician installed the wrong spark plugs in my vehicle which lead to more problems. I took it too the 100 Oaks location to try another technician but it only gets worst. They called and told me that everything was taken care of and replaced and I paid $503.75 now here we go again same issues with my car. This time I take it to the dealership and come to find out!! My spark plugs were never changed. The manger called from the Rivergate location stating that I would be taken care of. I waited for the call from the dealership at miracle Chrysler dodge in Gallatin to get back with me on the rental and to give me an update on my car. Never called I had to call myself! Then he tells me that the manger called to discuss my vehicle issues but never consulted back with me. Then he tells me that they don't have any rentals there he would have to go and get one? Seriously? And this is a dealership? So your meaning to tell me that all customers use the same vehicle? I understand that this is a business and customers are hectic but in this Field of profession requires multitasking. And that includes keeping the customer updated on the details of your vehicle! Some people don't have another backup car if one breaks down. So you rely on your car. If Dodge cared about their customers they would escalate customers matters in finding ways to help. When the manger from Carmax called and stated that he would pay for my rental due to Carmax negligence and to pay for my repairs then the Service writer should had immediately contacted me in setting up transportation for me...... but I heard nothing...... all I heard well I'm going to get the rental as we speak? Excuse me? Where is the rental? That's not telling me nothing . Bottomline miracle Chrysler dodge should had told me look here your car is not going to be ready today because we have to order your part, however the good new is that we can get you in a rental today all expenses paid through Carmax I can't tell you when it will be ready but we're working on it... When can you come in for your rental pickup. Now that's professionalism. I'm going through this hell all because of Carmax negligence 2nd failure mistake. And Miracle Chrysler Dodge Poor Expertise in Customer satisfaction. Everyone is entitled to their first mistake but not second one. All this time I've been driving on bad plugs no wonder it was making that loud backfire sound..... No one should have to experience this issue. Technicians should be on there A-Game at all times. Our vehicles are in their hands. Place yourself in my
Entity: Nationwide
Feb 02 2002
Car Max rip off!!
I purchased a car from CarMax ~ it was one my dad had owned and sold to them. I bought from them so I'd have a warranty. First of all ~ they told me the car had a security system ( which it did, when dad sold to them) But once I bought it ~ it was discovered they had taken it out!! So I returned and asked that it be replaced. After much argument, they replaced it. Then, 3 weeks later - the alternator died. I had it towed by CarMax to their service dept. While they had my car ~ the service tech, under the impression that this was a car to be sold ~ took off the shield for my sunroof!! Imagine my surprise when I went to pick it up. They tried to tell me it must have fallen off when being towed!! But pry marks were clearly visible. They refused to replace it and said I was lying. I finally gave up trying to get it fixed. I filed a complaint with the VA BBB, where Carmax is located, but there wasn't anything I could do here in Atlanta. So I put a sign in the window with my email address and you wouldn't believe how many people emailed me to tell me they had problems with CarMax too! I felt better knowing that others had problems, and I want to spread the word - be cautious when dealing with them ~ they'll rip you off if they can!! Click here to read other Rip-off Reports on Car Max
Entity: Norcross, Georgia
Nov 24 2010
Carmax - Carmax Auto Finance Deceptive business practice Newport News Virginia
Beware of this company,  they spend more time moving cars from lot to lot then they do trying to sell you one.  They also lie about financing approvals,  build up hopes of people and then crash them with not even a blink of an eye. Tried to buy a car from them,  told me they would hold the car I wanted,  while I gathered up all the necessary financing paperwork they needed.   Kept in contact with the sales person,  and was told it was being held,  and then the day I came in with the final paperwork,  the car I wanted was being transferred to some other lot for someone to look at it and buy,  they had brought me in another one,  and tried to pass it off as the same vehicle with the same features,  only i am blonde which doesnt mean I am dumb.  This vehicle was all beat up inside and out,  didnt have the same options,  and had almost 20K in mileages increase.   So manager said he would fix it,  had to wait another week to get another one shipped in,  now remember the actual one I wanted is still on their lot,  and they wont sell it to me,  even though they said they would hold it.   Instead I have to wait another week to get another shipped in....  makes sense some how,  not sure how but to them it does.   As I stated they spend more money moving cars then they do selling....   anyways new car comes in and I sit down and they tell me oh you dont have the right paperwork, our sales man made a mistake,  you dont get that care either.....   I went to another deal in Virginia beach, and had the car I wanted in three days, no financing hassells.  Will never deal with Carmax again nor would I recommend them.
Entity: Newport News, Virginia
Jan 08 2013
CARMAX CARMAX of San Antonio, Medical Drive The Salesman misrepresented the vehicles capability and then CARMAX promes to correct but lied , Internet
I recently bought a vehicle from Carmax.  I had hoped I had finally found a used car dealership that was honest and above board.  The vehicle is a 2011 Chrysler Town and Country Minvan.  The salesman assured me that the vehicle had a bluetooth system, which was one of my wife's requirements.  I subsequently discovered the vehicle did not have a bluetooth system.  Carmax advertises that you can return a car to Carmax - NO QUESTIONS ASKED - within 5-days if not fully satisfied.  I told Carmax if they could not rectify the bluetooth situation I would just bring it back and find another vehicle that met my specifications.  They told me I could take the vehicle to a Chrysler dealer and they would pay to have the problem rectified.  I did take the vehicle to Ancira Chrysler here in San Antonio.  The cost of the repair was $460.  After the repair was made, Carmax reneged and paid only the labor cost of $82. Carmax is just another used car dealer that can not be trusted.
Entity: Internet, Internet
May 06 2011
carmax carmax auto superstore carmax puts profits before employee families, mandatory night shift, employees making critical errors on car repairs, profits before quality Internet
FORMER EMPLOYEE OF CARMAX OF 10 YRS , WAS A GREAT COMPANY YEARS AGO BUT HAS BEEN BECOMING A TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK FOR, THEY RECENTLY MADE THEIR TECHS WORK A NIGHT SHIFT THAT REVOLVES EVERY 2 MONTHS , ON NIGHTS FOR 1 MONTH , ON DAYS FOR 2 MONTHS, WERE TOLD TO DO IT OR FIND ANOTHER JOB , EMPLOYEES ARE GETTING SEPERATED FROM THERE FAMILIES FOR A MONTH , WRITING PEOPLE UP FOR COMPLAINING ABOUT IT. MOST OF THE EMPLOYEES ARE NOT HAPPY, HARD ON THE FAMILIES , HARD ON THE BODY ,TECHS ARE MAKING MISTAKES WORKING ON CARS , THEY RECENTLY WROTE-UP 3 TECHS FOR LEAVING CALIPER BOLTS LOOSE, COULD BE DANGEROUS SITUATION. ALSO DOING COST CUTTING WHICH IN MY OPINION IS AFFECTING THE QUALITY OF THE CARS. I WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING FROM THEM RIGHT NOW!
Entity: , Internet
Oct 04 2002
Carmax Service Center ripoff Tinley Park Illinois
Carmaxx sold me a '98 Blazer in june of 2001. Already the car has been to the shop 8 times. Recently the waranty department is trying to get out of paying the cost of a $1500 repair job. First the repair shop at Carmaxx has a 2 week waiting period so my wife took the car to a Chevy dealership. After finding out the drive shaft was bad, the dealership called carmax warranty dept. and told them about the problem but they could not put a new part on the car because they don't make new parts for that model. carmax said they would not pay for a used part to be put on because they wanted it garraunteed for 6 months, the dealership then found a rebuilt part which they could garranty for 6 months, carmax then said they would not warranty the work unless I paid for a tear down, so there adjuster can come out to inspect the vehicle, this was $234. I said O.K. The adjuster said there was only a drop of differiential fluid in the compartment and they will not warranty the work because of owner neglect. They said the owners manuel states you should have your differential fluid checked every 3000-6000miles. I have sent them reciepts showing work done on the car where the differential fluid was checked at least 3 times in the last six months during routine oil changes and brake jobs, prior to to that the car was serviced at carmax for noises caoming from the front of the car, they didn't find anything wrong with the differential fluid. Something doesn't seem right. After reading my service contract Carmax has it worded so they can get out of paying anything they choose. Will Chicago, Illinois
Entity: Tinley Park, Illinois
Dec 23 2005
CarMax SHAME ON YOU!!! WIll Not Honor Warranty, ripoff Duarte California
My CD player skipped from the start but I thought maybe it was my CDs were bad. I finally took it to a place for repair and gave them all my warrantee papers. After a 3 ring circus of phone calls, the repair was done and I had to pay for it myself. They sell used cars, and sell you a very costly extended warranty. I ASSUMED that would cover a simple repair on the CD player. I got a whole lot of double talk about this particular repair having to be covered by the orig warranty when the car was sold to the orig buyer. They never said I had access to that warranty. The repair that was done did not correct the problem. I again contacted Carmax about it and after speaking to too many people with too many accents, I was told that AT THE TIME I first made the complaint, it COULD have been covered the that orig warranty (which I knew nothing about). They are so cheap they won't even find a used working stereo from another auto to put in my car. Kiss another bogus $1500 bumper to bumper useless warranty goodbye. I see there are several Carmax complaints here. When does the legal help you talk about kick in? How would you like to buy a fresh car and not have a stereo to listen to? Deborah Los Angeles, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Entity: Duarte, California
Dec 13 2007
Carmax Town Center Nothing but junk cars!! Kennesaw Georgia
I went to the carmax town center location because several people I work with had purchased vehicles there and said it was an awesome experience...WRONG! I went to carmax and bought my car on June 23rd 2007, I had to jump through a million hoops and didn't get to choose from a big variety of vehicles. I ended up chosing a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 60,000 miles appeared to be very nice, boy was I wrong. The day after I bought my car I was going to Canton with a friend didn't even make it out of the county I live in when the check engine light came on the first time. I took it to auto zone to have them do the free check engine light testing and it came back with one of the senors bad, so I made an appointment and took my vehicle back down to the service station the next week it was a cam sensor. Not only did they replace that but they called to tell me that they had to redo my whole brake system because there was a problem with those also. Keep in mind this was only like the first week I had the car. It seemed like every time I turned around something was going wrong with my car, this last time my girlfriend was taking my son christmas shopping and the car just quit. The check engine light came on the day before and my car had started trying to stall out on my way to work that morning but I thought I had gotten bad gas, before I could even make an appointment my car broke down with my gf and my son in it. I had to have it towed down to carmax because it wouldn't start, come to find out they tried to tell me oh your waterpump started leaking on your timing belt causing it to break. Im not a fool, I know that doesnt just happen overnight, I just had my oil changed! Well that took about a week, they WOULD NOT provide me with a rental car just so happens I have a very nice boss that let me borrow a vehicle. I go down to get my car after about a week and a half, I pick it up on a saturday I get two redlights down put gas in it, stop at the third redlight and it starts reving itself up and not catching drive ITS AN AUTOMATIC! So I pull over at a shopping mall, get out there is smoke boiling out from under the hood, I turn it around take it back down to carmax and park it. The service manager calls me a few days later and says it was your transmission we have to replace it, Im sorry you came to pick it up and had trouble but we saw the check engine light come on for that and we checked it while we were working on your waterpump and it showed a code for something being wrong with the transmission but we didnt look into it because we thought it had to do with us working on the timing belt!!!! I couldn't believe she left me a voicemail and basically told me they didnt take the car for a test drive and only half assed it. I send a request from their website to corporate, the first customer service rep called me back within a few hours got all my information and complaints and said Ill have someone call you back....A week later nothing! So I sent another request today and again a different rep called me and said I'll make some phone calls and call you back...Only he had the service manager that had already irrated me before call me back and basically tell me there is nothing she can do, or as she put it their hands are tied'. All I thought was fair for them to do is give me another car for the same amount as mine and take my car back that was clearly not dependable to take my son anywhere in. ONCE again I had to hang up on her because she was treating me like I was 5 years old. I don't know who I need to call or who I need to get on my soapbox with but I DONT want the car. I only had it 6 months and Im supposed to pay for it for 6 years???? UMMMM NO! This was my next best option, I would never refer anyone to buy a car from those people! Amber Fairmount, GeorgiaU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on CarMax
Entity: Kennesaw, Georgia
Jan 03 2008
Carmax 18 thousand dollar piece of garbage, that cant be fixed Greenville South Carolina
Me and my wife purchased a 2001 chevy impala from the wonderful carmax in febuary of 07. In less than a month we already had problems. in fact we have had more than twelve issues in the last eleven months. Three times the car has refused to start, only to sit for thirty minutes to an hour and crank. they have fixed the problem or so they say each of the three times, only to have the same problem in a month or two. Now it is happening for the fourth time. My wife is now thirteen weeks pregnant, and has found herself stuck in freezing temperatures for a half to a full hour twice. Now she is sick with the flu. Hopefully the baby will be ok. We have had the transmission rebuilt as well as the coolant system rupture a couple of times within the 11 months we have had the car. I feel they should give us another car for all the time and trouble we have spent worrying about the car. Do not i repeat do not buy a car from carmax they will rip you off. I am paying 18,000 dollars for a car they have had more than i have. Tony mcabee Fountain inn,, South CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Greenville, South Carolina
Oct 10 2006
Carmax Service departments: The reason they don't have to do ANYTHING Raleigh North Carolina
Carmax has no one to check on their individual service departments. I drive a 2000 Honda accord, which I purchased from Carmax in Raleigh in Dec. of 2002. Last summer, I had my compressor replaced under warranty. Over Labor day weekend, My car started making funny noises, and long story short, The Honda dealer I took it to said that the compressor that CarMax installed in my car was the wrong size. That caused the gradual destruction of the magnet that connects the compressor to the Stador. I moved to california before this all began, but i visited Raleigh and showed the reciept to the carmax service dept. When i called at first, the service manager told me to come in to see him the next day. He wasn't there the next day. So i talked to some peon under him, and he said the manager would call me back by monday. Of course he didn't call back, my mother called to see what the verdict was, and they said that they didn't think they installed the wrong part, and that my car wouldn't have lasted that long without the correct size compressor. At that point, i ask them to direct me to the corporate offices. In a nutshell: the corporate offices contacted the Raleigh service dept. The Raleigh service dept. told them the exact same thing they told me. and Corporate called me back and said, that the service dept. says they didn't do anything wrong. so they didn't do anything wrong. The Conclusion from all of this, from all the problems everyone here has encountered, Carmax corporate offices have no control over what the individual stores do. If we want a response from corporate, we need to make it known nation-wide what kind of power we have against them. disgruntled North Carolinian Santa Monica, CaliforniaU.S.A. CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Entity: Raleigh, North Carolina
May 29 2007
Carmax What they were and what they are now Kansas City Kansas
I sent these comments to CARMAX in the hopes that they will re-evaluate there policies and procedures and return to the practices that once made dealing with CARMAX a quality experience. My first experience with CARMAX (in 2002) was the purchase of our Nissan Quest Van in Roseville, CA. We walked around the lot with only an occasional May I help you and when we said were only looking the response was, If you do need help just grab anyone in a blue shirt. When we did ask for assistance they were very helpful and informative. We left the lot and came back a few days later. We purchased the Van (with a clean carfax) at a fair price and it has been a great car. It was a great experience. Forward to 2006 and the purchase of my daughters Honda Civic. With our previous experience in mind we went back to CARMAX for our daughters car (Kansas City, KS). We purchased the car with a supposedly clean carfax. Within a few weeks we noticed the drivers door having problems, sounded hollow (echo), missing seals, not aligning properly. We went back to CARMAX to have it fixed (twice). Finally, we went to Honda they told us the car had been in an accident. They fixed the door (foam inserts, seals, realignment, and locking mechanism). We've since had to replace the alternator, and will need to soon replace the front rotors as they are at minimum and can't be turned (although the car only has 50,000 miles on it). The only good part of this experience was that CARMAX had a better rating on financing than our bank or credit union. The salesperson (no longer worthy of the 'assistant' description) was pushy although we were eager buyers based on our past experiences. And finally, we later found out that we overpaid for the car by 2-3k. We will share the blame here as we should have been more thorough in our inspection and value of the car since CARMAX did not. We gave CARMAX the benefit of the doubt as we returned in 2006 while looking for our sons first vehicle. Unfortunately what we found was the following during several trips to the Independence, MO and Kansas City, KS lots: - Several vehicles we were interested in had either carfax histories with accidents (some with multiple) - Vehicles with obvious problems (body or mechanical due to accidents) with clean car fax reports - Unreasonable pricing (during one trip the salesperson allowed us to use an in-house computer to look up pricing via KBB). Even when we showed them the pricing they still wondered why we were not interested in buying the car. - Extremely pushy salespeople (gathered in groups by the front door, followed us all over the lot, and during consultation salesperson went to get help from manager) - Forced to enter and exit the lot through the front door (Probably for security reasons, but in 2002 we could walk straight on to the Roseville, CA lot. In summary, CARFAX has lost what could have been a life long customer. In addition every conversation that we have with family or friends gets a stay clear of CARMAX' recommendation and our story. I'm sorry that your practices have turned to those of the used car dealership stereotype. You had a wonderful idea and it will be sad to see these types of issues be the demise of your success. Bill smithville, MissouriU.S.A.
Entity: Kansas City, Kansas
Mar 30 2007
Carmax Bad Customer Service, Refused to fix my car Laurel Maryland
I took my car to carmax for repair 3 times in one year. On the 3rd occasion they told me they had no obligation to fix my vehicle and told me to get off their property. I was within the 6 month repair warranty that they guarantee as well as the useless extended warranty and they did absolutely nothing to help or repair the vehicle. In my opinion they are no better than any other used car dealership - worse because they claim to be so much better. Harry columbia, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: Laurel, Maryland
Apr 11 2007
AON Warranty Group, Carmax AON wextended auto warranty fraud Internet Nationwide
I bought a 2001 Passat from Carmax in Richmond VA in 2003. 7 months later the engine light went on and the car died so I took it to a mechanic, one that was recommended by Carmax. Since I had purchased an extended warranty (sold by Carmax) I called them right away to file a claim. After they sent an adjuster out to look at the car they said that I did not properly maintain the car thereby causing damage to the engine. They said I did not change the oil or maintain the oil so there was sludge built up on the cylinders causing 1-2 to crack. I needed to replace the engine. The mechanic that originally looked at it was positive that this kind of damage could not have been done in 7 months and that it was a pre-existing condition. We contacted Carmax but they said too bad, you're out of luck, not our problem. We filed reports with BBB and States Attorneys Office but have had no resolution. We ended up buying a new engine for $4000.00 and replacing the defective one. The mechanic that replaced the old engine (upon opening it up and inspecting it) said there was no way this could have been caused by my apparent lack of maintainance. I did, BTW change the oil and check oil levels several times during that 7 months. Craig Naperville, IllinoisU.S.A.
Entity: Internet
Nov 23 2008
Carmax buys your car for way less than it is worth Tampa Florida
I went to Carmax to look at small trucks. I wanted to trade my 8 year old GM passenger van with 102,000 miles. I test drove an 8 year old import truck ( 4 cyl, 5pd, a/c, no power options). The bed was painted poorly and I pointed it out to the salesperson. He told me that Carmax paints alot of their vehicles. I was offered $1200 for my van (V6, auto, fr and rear a/c, 7 pass). The comment on the appraisal stated that since it was almost 9 years old with 102k miles it was worth $ 1200.00. KBB says the trade value was over $3000.00. I took my keys back and asked the salesperson about the low offer and he said they have their own system. I then asked him about the poorly painted almost 9 year old truck I just drove for $10,000.What system did they use for that? People need to look past the advertising and understand they are a used car dealer identical to all the other used car dealers...... only with bigger smiles and nice blue shirts. Chuck Tampa, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Tampa, Florida
May 10 2008
CarMax The warrenty they sell is useless if your repair is high dollar. Charlotte North Carolina
Bought a Mercury Sable in Nov. 07 with the extended warrenty, After driving it for 4000 miles it developed a motor knock. Brought it to CarMax and they confirmed it and told me to bring it to Ford. I along with CarMax and Ford notified the warrenty co, and invited them to come and hear the knock before Ford tore down the engine, they declined to come but approved the tear down. Scoring was discovered on crank shaft, rod bearings and cylinder walls, but because we dont know which part was making the sound I was held responsable for the tear down and repairs. This included a new motor totaling $5300.00 I want to know what I did wrong?? Why am I stuck with this mess? I have been a loyal customer for 11 years and my wife and I have purchased 5 cars with CarMax. No more I am very disapointed and hurt by thier customer service. Spoke with Jeff at thier corporate offices, he was very nice but the local store seems to be concerned about short term profits and not long term growth of the company. Jeff monroe, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Entity: Charlotte, North Carolina
Mar 11 2010
CarMax- Duarte California MaxCare Got suckered in, but then pulled out Internet
Late one Friday night, I found an amazing deal on a car at CarMax -- a 2002 Toyota Camry with only 21,000 miles on it. The no-haggle price was $12999. I'll admit now that I did not check with KBB on their suggested pricing. I called CarMax the next morning and after a no-haggle inspection and test drive, we purchased the car and the 5-year MaxCare package (an additional $1600 that was a true salespitch). The total price was just over $15700. The car saw our trusted mechanic on Monday and told us that everything was original which we thought was a good sign, but he strongly recommended that we get four new tires since the sidewall rubber was peeling off in large flakes. I thought that was odd since we had been told of their 125-point-inspection service and our salesman, Robert, stated that the tires were still good. Also on that Monday, the financing had to be finalized with our bank. The loan officer alerted me to the difference in price since KBB valued this make/model with 21,000 miles at only $9998. She suggested that I haggle the price down; I told her I would try. When I contacted the business office regarding the huge descrepancy in price between the KBB and the listing price, I was told that prices vary every day and that multiple measures were used to determine CarMax's listing prices. Then I was told by the CarMax representative that CarMax does not use KBB to set their listing prices. I laughed out loud at that one since it IS and, in my 25 years of driving experience, ALWAYS has been the standard by which prices are set. We made the decision to return the car (we had only had it three days) and were not given any problems in doing such (it took about 25 minutes).So, my suggestions are to:(1) do your homework, (2) know what price others (KBB and other mass sellers) use to sell the car,(3) don't purchase the MaxCare service (that's where they do their markup),(4) get your car inspected by someone you trust, and (5) don't have any doubt that you are within your rights to return the car as per their business model.They give you 5 days to check out the car -- do not waste those days!
Entity: Internet, Internet
Apr 21 2010
CarMax Superstore Sold me a piece of crap van and then tried to screw me Nashville, Tennessee
I bought a 2006 Saturn Relay Van from Carmax in February. I have had it and driven it for 3 weeks total out of the 2 months I have had it. I have now taken it back to Carmax 4 times to be fixed and 3 of those times for the SAME THING! The 3rd time of taking it back to Nashville (which is an hour away from me) I told them I did not want the van back that I was tired of having the issue that was suppose to have been fixed. They told me they would buy it back from me for what was left owed on it and I was fine with that although I had done made the first payment on the van even though I had not even had it in my possession but maybe a full week that first month. I was told to look on their website and find what I wanted and so my husband and I did this for over a week. We finally found something that would fit our family as we have 4 kids so we do need either another van or something to fit us all. We called them told them what we had in mind and they said they would have it brought from one of their other stores for us to look at. They got all the information done for payments and oh yeah this vehicle was same price as our payoff of the van and we are paying $300.00 a month on it. Anyways they tell us that on the other vehicle the payment will be over $400.00 dollars. And I didn't tell you that we had to go back through them or we would lose the $2,000.00 dollars we put down on it plus the payment we had already made. Well I went off to the manager about this payment going to be so high and all he would say is oh I am sorry but that's what we can do for you. By this time I am so mad that I end up telling them to fix the stupid van and if it tears up one more time I will seek a lawyer to see what I can do. Well I got the van back on Monday and guess what yup that's right with in a week the same issue has started all over again and I was told the 2nd time that it had happened the van was sent to the manufacture. It is suppose to be back there now as I was called today by a cheery person letting me know that the piece of crap they sold me is being fixed once again. Well I think it's time to take action this time. I just need someone to help me figure out what I can do. They are going to end up screwing me even more I am sure but I am getting real close to taking window chalk and writing on all my windows I bought this Lemon from this CARMAX and keep driving around and around in front of the store.
Entity: Nashville, Tennessee
May 06 2010
CarMax & Max Care MaxCare MaxCare Read Fine Print Before Signing Roseville, California
In February, 2010 we purchased a 2006 Hummer H3 from CarMax in Roseville, CA.  While working with the sales representative we noticed on final inspection that the windshield had three small chips.  The sales representative assured us that this should be fixed and it would be no problem.  I told him I did not want the car if it was going to need a new windshield and it was coming out of my pocket.  As usual, the sales representative also offered us the MaxCare extended warranty.  At that time I said to him if I buy this is everything covered, including the DVD players?  I had had issues before with CarMax repairing a DVD player on another vehicle I purchased from them that they had installed.  One day in to our 5 day grace period we took the vehicle back down to CarMax for the repair work.  Contract through DentWizard the three chips were repaired, however, at the time we picked up our vehicle none of the available service representatives offered to inspect the car with us to make sure all repairs were done to satisfaction.  Happy with the work, we left and continued to enjoy our new vehicle.  24 days in from the repair my husband and I noticed that a repaired crack was beginning to split down our windshield.  It was only about an inch long.  We called CarMax to see what we should do as this was an issue that should have been fixed by our initial service visit.  They stated that it was probably something that I did while driving the vehicle and they could not be responsible.  I stated that while that was a perfectly good explanation, I don't drive my vehicles all that much as they could note with the last car I traded in with them had only had 5,033 miles put on since I purchased just three years prior.  I was told I would receive a call back after he spoke with the service manager and they decided how to proceed.  I never heard back from them.  Everyday I left a message, I called the CarMax customer service line, nothing, I called the Roseville CarMax sales dept., nothing.  I finally opened a claim with the BBB.  I received a very nice screw you stating that they had tried to contact me so that they could send a DentWizard rep out to see if it was in fact a bad repair and I wasnt returning their call .  I declined this offer and stated that I had given the service department all my numbers for proper contact and once again gave them all my phone numbers for contact.  I also called the service dept. again and gave them my phone numbers to contact me.  Well within a day DentWizard was out to look at my windshield for all of 30 seconds.  Not long after low and behold we received a call that it was in fact a faulty repair and they would need to replace our windshield.  In the interim, our check engine light came on and the GM OEM Factory DVD Player installed in the headrest completely stopped working.  We went through MaxCare and found a certified repair shop in our new home base.  Well now MaxCare is denying that they cover our DVD player that was a part of the vehicle when we bought it.  They are stating that the DVD player was not installed on the FACTORY ASSEMBLY LINE  and that if it was the radio they would pay for it.  It is a GM OEM Factory DVD player that was installed at a GM Dealer at the time of the original purchase.  But they don't cover it.  They pointed us to the fine print of our MaxCare warranty contract that apparently clearly states this.  It would serve CarMax well to also bring their staff up to speed on this so they don't fraudulently sell products to customers who ask them point blank if I buy this will the DVD players be covered.  So back to the BBB I go.  I have bought over 7 vehicles and everytime it comes down to service and the service department I wonder why I keep going back.  Never again.  I am done this is the most screwed, full of excuses, rip-off company and I will never refer or promote it ever again.
Entity: Roseville, California
Jul 08 2010
Carmax/Ontario Sales Person: Paula Sales Manager: Karen Extended Warranty Ontario, California
I purchased a vehicle through Carmax in January of 2010.  I was offered extended warranty by the Sales Person Paula.  When asked if I were to cancel it, how would it affect my financing, Paula claimed that the payment would be reduced to the original paymnet quoted, which was $80 less per month.  With a baby on the way, this was a concern and I expressed that. Paula and the sales manager claimed that I misunderstood.  After several follow up calls and the involvemnt of the BBB, the company has not been responsive or taken any responsibility of their unethical sales ethics.
Entity: Ontario, California