IUNIVERSE SELF PUBLISHING Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: iuniverse self publishing

There may be more reports for "iuniverse self publishing"

For more results perform a general search for "iuniverse self publishing"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jun 20 2009
IUniverse Self Publishing Company Advertising /Deceptive Practices iuniverse.com Internet
I published a book in 1995,that still have good ratings on amazon, and other book sites. Yet, Iuniverse have pocket all the money that were proceeds from my book. Not only that they rip me off on the cost of publishing the book,by charging cost for editing mistakes that they themselves were creating and charging me to correct them. Everytime they did that they charge me almost two hundred dollars. I ended up paying double for my the publishing of my book. They have not paid me any money, from the sales of my book, according to the book sites sales have been made and favorability have been 98%, why haven't iuniverse paid me anything.. They are rip-off artist. I hope that the public will read this and stay far away from them as possible. They are no good. And should be published and made to compensate me and others for ripping us off. I want my money now. Please help. Ripoff by iuniverse publishing company Brookhaven, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Entity: iuniverse.com, Internet
Sep 10 2008
IUniverse Self Publishing Company Misrepresents its Services Bloomington Indiana
Reviews of self publishing houses often give iUniverse high ratings. But that was before they were purchased by a holding company. Since then, their services have maddeningly deteriorated. The former reviews do not apply. In early 2009, iUniverse was purchased by a venture capital firm. The new holding company president immediately ordered iUniverse to move its equipment and people from Lincoln, Nebraska to Bloomington, Indiana. Over half of the highly trained staff refused to relocate. The president and CEO of iUniverse resigned. The new staff seem to be young with no experience in publishing. Because of the untrained staff, and because of the delays that resulted from the move, books are not being published in the intended time of 90 days. There is a tremendous backlog. Mine has been delayed over six months. Further, staff give you different information, cannot tell you when a problem will be resolved, and they make frequent mistakes. Their store software (where you can purchase the books) crashes frequently and contains many bad links. There does not seem to be any way to resolve problems when a staff person gives you poor service. My book at this point seems to be of professional quality (but oh, the hammering to get it to this point). Will iUniverse have problems with marketing and fulfillment? Almost certainly, as the best predictor of future performance is past. Jean Santa Fe, New MexicoU.S.A.
Sep 06 2008
IUniverse Self Publishing Company The company has changed, former reviews do not apply Bloomington Indiana
Reviews of self publishing houses often give iUniverse high ratings. But that was before they were purchased by a holding company. Since then, their services have maddeningly deteriorated. The former reviews do not apply. In early 2009, iUniverse was purchased by a venture capital firm. The new holding company president immediately ordered iUniverse to move its equipment and people from Lincoln, Nebraska to Bloomington, Indiana. Over half of the highly trained staff refused to relocate. The president and CEO of iUniverse resigned. The new staff seem to be young with no experience in publishing. Because of the untrained staff, and because of the delays that resulted from the move, books are not being published in the intended time of 90 days. There is a tremendous backlog. Mine has been delayed six months. Further, staff give you different information, cannot tell you when a problem will be resolved, and they make frequent mistakes. Their store software (where you can purchase the books) crashes frequently and contains many bad links. There does not seem to be any way to resolve problems when a staff person gives you poor service. My book at this point seems to be of professional quality (but oh, the hammering to get it to this point). Will iUniverse have problems with marketing and fulfillment? Almost certainly, as the best predictor of future performance is past. Jean Santa Fe, New MexicoU.S.A.
Aug 31 2012
iUniverse Self Publishing PSA: Jill Serinas Unauthorized publication of my book, will not report sales stats of book on my- myumiverse account. Internet
After paying iUniverse's editorial team (AUTHOR HOUSE) they destroyed my book in all it's form. Bad grammar, connected words and spaced apart words throughout. Their process is to (after editing) send you a internal book block. The AUTHOR is to make changes & corrections on both parties behalf. Not enough room. I demanded that they re-edit. Their charge to fix all errors...$500 and some odd dollars. After months of exhaustion I told them to go with production but DO NOT PUBLISH, I simply wanted something for my $1800. My book is now for sale on all major book retailers web site. Unauthorized.   Punitive damage is...my name as an AUTHOR is trashed, and I can never again publish under my name. Jill Serinas refuses to remove my book from sales, unless I physically write and mail them a signed letter stating to do so. To late for that, my book I later learned had been for sale for two months. How do you fight them. I eventually threatened that my ATTORNEY prefers leaving my book live in order to gather inflicting facts against them. My book is still live, but, they;ll not let me see my sales stats or royalties. Unauthorized publication 6/11/2012
Sep 12 2009
IUniverse Self Publishing Company - iUniverse, Inc., a Delaware corporation Cancelled my contract after publishing, removed my book from internet, kept my money, never paid royalties, misrepresented their abilities, scam Bloomington , Indiana
I published my book, Better Not Bitter, with iUniverse.  They were incompetent from the start and clearly a scam.  They're there to take your money and deliver nothing. You can never reach your PSA, no one answers the phone, the services promised are embarrassingly poor.  I bought the Premier Pro package which promises one on one author support.  After numerous time-wasting edits of their own mistakes which were delaying publication and their inability for weeks to photoshop a simple photograph for my cover, my partner--a home repair and remodeler! -- bought a software package that creates book covers.  He had a completed cover by end of day!  iUniverse should be embarrassed by the first two covers they offered as finished work.  A 10th-grade graphics student could've done better.   I know several people ordered my book online yet I have never received my royalties or an accounting.  Not even since they, iUniverse, cancelled my contract without my permission.  On August 10, 2009, Eugene Hopkins (Client Services) informed me that someone who identified himself as my ex-husband wanted the book pulled because he said it was libelous.  On that day I was promised an accounting of the purported libelous statements so that I could rebut them.  They have never been produced.  Curiously, the Premier Pro package offered editorial evaluation yet iUniverse didn't find my book libelous after two evaluations by their professional editors.  No libel lawsuit has been filed against my book by anyone.   iUniverse immediately removed my book from publication and availability.  All it took was someone calling up and saying they wanted a book removed and iUniverse did so!  iUniverse sent me a letter saying that per [my] written request they've cancelled my contract.  An attorney requested a corrected letter from iUniverse stating that I did not cancel the contract.  Eugene Hopkins promised one would be issued.  It's been 4 weeks and no letter.  They refuse to refund my money for publishing yet they've taken my book offline.  In effect they took my money, published a few books, removed my book and kept all my money. Breach of contract, misrepresentation, incompetence, fraud, lies, runaround, bullying tactics - that's what you get with iUniverse.
Oct 16 2012
Xlibris iUniverse DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY SELF-PUBLISHING WITH XLIBRIS! , Internet
Xlibris is the biggest fraud of a company that I ever had the misfortune to engage. In the past nine months, I have been shuffled between Author Services Representatives all promising that my books would be published soon. My first ASR Cherry Bates left the company, and no one even notified me until two weeks after the fact. The next ARS Gregory Ellis failed to return my phone calls. I was then assigned Glenn Bryce who did not return my e-mails or calls for some time. I was simultaneously told that he had left the company and was out on leave!  When Mr. Bryce did acknowledge my e-mails and eventually call me, he told me that the pdf file to my first novel had been lost and that we should go ahead and publish my second novel first. I was unhappy about this but agreed. In the meantime I sent a copy of my first novel to Mr. Bryce with corrections that I wanted made. I assumed that since Xlibris had lost my file for the e-book, they could at least make some changes gratis. The e-book was created, but some idiot wiped out all the italics from the manuscript, italics that were there for a reason. After several attempts, I thought the Xlibris technicians had got it correct, but I was wrong. However, Xlibris posted the e-book on their website and secondary sellers websites. I asked it to be removed, but it wasnt. I was eventually assigned Ken Barnes as an Author Services Representative who promised me that all the changes to my first e-book would be made. He also assured me that the corrections that I asked to be made gratis to my second novel would be honored due to all the trouble I had encountered. I had already paid $250.00 for post-productions corrections, which involved some minor punctuation and the use of the correct book cover, so I was happy about that. When Xlibris technicians created the e-book for my second novel, a flawless product could not be created without mistakes being made. I again asked for some minor changes to be made gratis considering the work had to be done any how to correct Xlibris mistakes!  I sent letters of complaint to Xlibris managers Raymond Chin, Michelle Postrano and Elaine Jerome-Headley, but nothing was ever done. Neither Mr. Chin nor Ms. Postrano could even acknowledge my e-mails.  At this point I was given a rash of grief that I had to pay another $125.00 to get these corrections implemented. This was the straw that broke my camels back! I canceled my business with Xlibris and sent out signed Letters of Intent to the appropriate Xlibris managers with a carbon copy to everyone I had dealt with in the past nine months. Rey August sent me an e-mail stating that my account was cancelled. Then a week and a half later Matt Evers called me and said that it was his understanding that I wanted to cancel my account! I went ballistic. This was just another example of Xlibris incompetence!   I should also add that one of my book packages (I paid for four books to be published) included single item accessoriesbookmarks, posters, business cards, and postcards. After sending detailed notes and pictures regarding the font and pitch size for the text and the book cover I wanted used for each product, it took Xlibris technicians six tries to finally get it right. Each time a new version of the items arrived, it looked like my instructions were completely ignored, and the techs did whatever they bloody well wanted! The 50 SEO clicks that I received in my first book package were used when the incorrect version of the e-book was published, and Xlibris refused to give me another 50 SEO clicks to replace them. All in all, it has been an expensive and frustrating nightmare working with Xlibris. Although I lost a good amount of money, the thing that angers me most is the time I lost from my life dealing with these incompetent, lying b*stards. I discovered too late that I'm not the only one who has encountered problems. There was a lawsuit against Xlibris in early 2012 by the State of Indiana where the company headquarters is located (Bloomington). Obviously, the problems with Xlibris are far-reaching and go way beyond the customer service department in Cebu, Philippines.  After reading all the consumer complaints about authors not receiving their royalties, should either of these books had been published, I doubt I would have seen a dime in royalties. Bottom line: Do not deal with Xlibris no matter how much you want to be published! BTW, Xlibris also operates under the name iUniverse.
Jan 07 2009
IUniverse Publishing iUniverse didn't ask me when they priced my book, the price was too high Lincoln Nebraska
On October 31st,2007 I signed a deal with iUniverse to publish my book titled AMERICA! The Unwavering Dream ISBN: 978-0-595-47939-9. Publish the book cost me $1,117.00 that amount included 25 promotional services. (I have a copy of the contract) To my knowledge they havent used any of the services they promised. Most POD publishers I have dealt with asked me how much I want to charge for my book, iUniverse never did, they priced the hardcover and the softcover too high. Softcover $22.95, the hardcover $32.95 and the book is only 310 pages. Las time I checkd with Ingram they haven't sold any of my book. The address I have indicated is the old address before they moved to Indiana. I try to sell my book to bookstores but they nort interested buying softcover or hardcover book priced too high. Do not deal with iUniverse!!!!!!!!!! Gabe Stayton, OregonU.S.A.
Entity: Lincoln, Nebraska
Apr 15 2011
iUniverse Author House - AuthorHouse - Xlibris - Bertram Capital Management - Author Solutions - Trafford Publishing - Wordclay DANGER! BEWARE! FRAUD! and let's not forget CLASS ACTION Internet
I sat in the Bada Bing today and thought about this awful situation for a long time. The corporate officers and certain employees of these entities deserve to be pictured in handcuffs on the front page of every significant newspaper in the world, and featured on American Greed, Dateline, and 60 Minutes, to name only a few.All due respect...The masterminds behind this flimflam printing operation should get no respect, no more money from the public, and significant incarceration. They know perfectly well what they're doing and what they have done to an unsuspecting public. In order to not let them get away with it, each one of you who had money stolen by iUniverse and its other incarnations needs to step up and join a class action lawsuit and not keep saying that someone else ought to do it. They are not going to go away unless you join to do something. Stop feeling powerless.(((Redacted))) CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Oct 31 2008
IUniverse, Inc./Eugene HopkinsiUniverse, Inc./Eugene Hopkins/Liesl Schapker Breach of Contract, Undue Delays and Mental Anguish Bloomington Indiana
I signed up with iUniverse Publishing last 8th of July 2008 to get my manuscript get edited, and published professionally, affordably, and fast(per Get Published! Professionally, Affordably, Fast - a book written by Ms. Susan Driscoll, Author, President and CEOof iUniverse). My manuscript was submitted and accepted by iUniverse, Inc. after payment of the required fee and was assigned two personnel by the name of Liesl Shapker, my appointed Publishing Services Associated and Amy He, my appointed Publishing Consultant. I was informed that my manuscript would have to go through several stages, under 4 different authors, one author responsible for correcting grammar and spelling, one author responsible for ensuring it is in the right format, etc. After over 3 months has passed, I kept sending emails to Liesl Schapker on the status of my book. Then about the first week of Oct. 2008, I received a telephone call from one Eugene Hopskins that he was cancelling my contract with iUniverse and get the money I paid for, be refunded. According to Eugene Hopkins, ( He is the client services manager per Liesl Schapker) my manuscript was not the kind of story they would publish. I asked him why it took him over 3 months to decide and tell me that. Eugene was apologetic and said, I'm sorry. As per several e-mails from my assigned PSA, Liesl Schapker, the amount of $899.00 will be refunded. I have checked my bank for electronic transfer but there was no record of any transaction coming from iUniverse Publisher. iUniverse wasted my time for over 3 months and delayed my going over to another able and capable publishing company. It was a mental anguish for me to wait over 3 months and to be told that my manuscript was not the kind of story they wanted to publish. At this time, I want my refund of $899.00 back ASAP. Bill San Diego, CaliforniaU.S.A.
May 27 2012
iuniverse iuniverse/authorhouse II got screwed over Internet, Internet
Thank you...for all the positive emails I received after filing my complaint against iuniverse/authorhouse. Keep them coming...Christopher            Iuniverse actually contacted me to resolve my issues to no avail, of course.      Again thank you so much for your support... Christopher
May 29 2009
IUniverse Poor services Bloomington Indiana
I am having a lot of problems with iuniverse and its poor services. Dealing with iuniverse is, like you said, very frustrating. I have one big problem after another in my dealings with them. When I thought all my troubles were over, I was shocked to receive two test copies, which had terrible book covers. I have never seen a book with such a bad cover. The colors were all mixed up, and the text, plus cover photo were misplaced! I would have expected this kind of thing to happen in the third world, but to be honest, books published in Uganda and Bangladesh are pf a much higher quality! The worst part of dealing with iuniverse is that they are rude and unprofessional. I have written to the vice president, CEO, and many consultants about the poor covers of my books, and they have all ignored me. I have even written to the CEO/ Vice presidents of authorssolution, and author's house, but they are all silent about the issue. And as if that were not bad enough, the only guy who had the courage to reply said that this was the first time they had ever had a problem like this!!! It is obvious that what iuniverse writes on its website is miles apart from what it actually offers. I would not advise any writer to risk invest his money in iuniverse. I wonder why no one had sued it yet! As a matter of fact, each of us who has had serious problems with iuniverse should not blame anyone for our suffering, because by choosing not to take any legal action against them, we are reinforcing their unprofessional behavior. So, I suggest, lets get together and take some serious legal action, seeking for compensatory and punitive damages. Oscar **** KampalaUganda
Dec 21 2013
ECKO PUBLISHING Aardvark Global Publishing IS SALT LAKE CITY COMPANY RIPPING OFF SELF-PUBLISHING AUTHORS??‏ Sandy Utah
Back in September of 2012 I published a book with ECKO titled “The Ignorance of Faith”.  During the following months it was published in 5 different language editions, first in Spanish, then English, Portuguese, French and German. There is no transparency of Independent Author´s sales at ECKO.  In other words, no records of sales are offered to Authors.  If one insists eventually they might send a sales report, but with no sales, or little sales, probably underreported.  One day I asked: How I am sure these reported sales are true and honestly reported? Their reply was: “If we were not honest, we would not be in business long”. The fact seems to be that when the bull hits the fan, they close operations, and -soon later- return with another company name.  They used to be called Aardvark (if it is correct what I found in several RIPOFF reports, on the internet). Their address is secretive, only a P. O. Box in Sandy, UT.  One day, when I was going to start business with them, a lady by the name Samantha talked to me. However, Samantha seems to be several people, I found out that William Kramer is now acting as such “Samantha”. Email request for report on sales are not answered anymore.  Have warned them -months ago- that I might initiate legal action.  Yet, no replies from them, totally undeterred.  I ordered some of my books myself, to see if those would be reported, and proceeds from sales sent to me, but that was not the case. In a couple of occasions “Samantha” indicated she was going to make a PayPal deposit, but it was never done.  In more than one year that all 5 books have been available in Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and their own books sales (ECKO Books) only a deposit of $50 was made to PayPal on my behave, and that was back in January of 2013.  Not to be repeated ever again! Searching on the internet I found complaints about them. I sent an email -including those negative reports to them- indicating that it was my ultimatum.  Proper sales reports or I would go to the FBI, and other consumer Agencies.  No communication at all since then.  A few months ago, I paid for a revision in one of the book, which had some printing defects that I noticed. They –supposedly- processed the changes, and indicated to me that within a few weeks the new version would be available in the sales channels.   I allowed 3 months to pass by, and then ordered the book, only to find out that they have not made the changes requested. Took the money but did not do anything to the book. There are many self-publishers out there, and a few of them -I fear- might be fraudulent. It is quite easy to publish books, amass an inventory of thousands of books from small authors, and do not pay them.  They might get significant revenue streams from random sales of this bunch of books, but for the Authors, he or she would not have a way to know if his/her books are selling at all.  And it might be reasonable for them to think that there might have not been any sales at all.  It is a matter of pure trust in your Self-Publisher, no trace of sales, no accountability to their authors, no transparency. Utility companies send you a monthly statement, regardless of monthly use of service,… not these companies! I did contact Amazon to see if they could help, informing me on the sales of my books, but in some way they are their accomplices, because they only inform the publishing houses on sales, and not the Authors.  Only those Authors with Amazon´s own self-publishing (CreateSpace) have access to that sales information.  My guess is that it is so easy to hide sales from Autors, that the whole industry might be a rip-off (not just ECKO, but the temptation is there for many others: Lulu, Xlibris,..). It is imperative that the FBI, or somebody with jurisdiction in this matter, verifies the records with  Amazon and Barnes & Noble (the typical sales venues for this industry) and corroborates that payments are made to Authors by the self-publishing companies. THIS IS AMERICA, NOT SOME BANANA REPUBLIC OF THE THIRD WORLD!!
Entity: Sandy, Utah
Jul 17 2009
Iuniverse Careless service, low class agents, and bad decisions, make consumers suffer Nationwide
When I was thinking to put my thoughts into a book, all the poetry I had proudly written from age 17, the e- based publishers seemed my quickest outlet. I universe hooked me with their snazzy graphics and all on one package offers,my package totaling about $800.00. About a few months after the publishing, I was browsing the net and, someone had contacted me that they thought I was writing religious poetry. Confused, since I am nature and family based, I went online and found to my dismay, i universe had published another author with the same cover they gave to me. This was a graphic that they insisted would be the best one, even though, I offered the graphics services of my brother, a great artist. When I called them, I asked them to take the other author's pictures off and let me keep mine, All my tool kit had been printed with that image, the same one she had, my business cards, my book marks, my event posters, post cards: and it would be disastrous to my event planning to change all that.After a short pause on the phone she said ,sorry, we gave her (the other author) the cover one month before we assigned it to your book! It took me a good deal of anger to convince, them they would have to replace my tool kit and my cover. I was even angry enough that they paid for extra changes, when my new artwork went in. They paid to replace the cover, but told me, since my tool kit had been done by a local Kinkos and not them, the could not refund me, although they got me a new tool kit with my new cover. I lost more than six months back then and my motivation to push my book. Within the last year, in searching my account information, and I find that they have me living in Kalamazoo Michigan., according to them..and my address at registration was always in Central New York where I live and have lived all along, Where are the royalties I have been expecting? Maybe some trailer park in Kalamazoo, but not back in my pocket where they belong. If you want a trip down Fantasy lane, don't mind being insulted, and don't really want to get rewarded for your hard work and stay passionate about your individual voice, I suggest you throw your money at i universe and let them abuse you. Once they have the money, they don't care anyway. It is a never ending battle with them and you can't win-- even before the holding company took over, they were in the dumper as far as I am concerned. Diane Camillus, New YorkU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
Jan 14 2013
Iuniverse AuthorHouse, Other ? Betrayal, Deception, Theft of Intellectual Property, Fraud, Monetary Theft, Psychological Trauma and Pain Internet
In 2007 I had three books published via IUniverse - a company that worked with me via the Internet and phone calls - through the completion of each manuscript / book - with everything relatively easy to access via thier site up until that point.  Once sales began, however, I could no longer (it got more complex and then impossible) access any information about any of my books - not the number of sales, nothing about royalties, nothing (other than the fact that the books were still listed for sale) - period.  I would go online periodically in search of my books and found them accessible / for sale throughout the country via Iuniverse and other sites - and even in other parts of the world.  Sometimes these were new copies - sometimes they were (ahem) used (Amazon, EBay, other) copies.  All of these books / copies for which I was receiving no notice, no royalties / payment, etc.  [I did receive two small royalty checks early on, and then nothing.]  These books (published in 2007) remain on the IUniverse active status (January 2013) - and are still to be be found (for sale) at IUniverse, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, EBay and a multitude of other websites.  I am shaking with anger as I write this, as I have every time I have tried to locate a way to find out what is going on with my books, my copyright, my (I would assume) monies.  The only calls and/or emails I get (periodically) from IUniverse - and I always speak my mind when I speak to someone on the phone - are to try and sell me new products.  In fact, the latest slam was a request to make each of my three books into ebooks - to which I stated (verbally and through an email) a more than explicit no.  No.  No.  No.  Irregardless, IUniverse went on to make each one of my books - against my explicit refusal - into e-books - adding ripoff to ripoff to ripoff.  I am intested in pursuing a lawsuit - definitely.  Three books.  My heart and soul.  Where are my rights?  Where are my royalties?  Where is my human dignity to be found in any of a situation that moved way beyond exploitation a long time (but ongoing...) ago.  I would love to hear from others in regard to this matter.  I would happily pursue a lawsuit.  My heart has been broken.
15, Report #1195965
Dec 17 2014
iUniverse/Author House Company does not respond with full sales figures. Bloomington Indiana
I published my book, Vlad Dracula, The Dragon Prince, with iUniverse in December 2004.  At first, everything went smoothly.  Sales were steady enough that I was entered into iU's STAR program.  I purchased a marketing program from them for several hundred dollars, in which they claimed that they would send e-mails to a target audience of book buyers.  I have no way of knowing what they did, but I did not generate one sale that I know of from this program.  I decided to try a more focused approach and purchased another marketing program from them for $1200, this time supposedly targeted to blogs on the subject of Dracula.  Sparing the details here. that program was a mess, and, after several e-mails back and forth, they finally refunded my money. In the meantime, my book sold well enough that it was published in Italy, Poland, China, and Viet-Nam by commercial publishers.  It carries solid 4-Star reviews on amazon in the US, and 4 1/2 Stars in the UK.  I did make one inquiry--not an accusation--regarding iU's royalty reporting to the Indiana Consumer Protection Bureau.  They (uselessly) referred the question to iU instead of doing an actual investigation into the matter.  I suppose they do not have the resources to investigate every question raised with them.  I asked the question because of my own doubts and things I saw posted on-line about iU. Recently, I asked iU for gross sales figures for my book since its publication in December 2004.  I made it clear that this was not a royalty issue, that I just needed a gross figure of sales to refer to my agent in the hopes of getting a US publisher interested.  I even said they could lump all sales--e-books, hard cover, paperback--together, so I wouldn't even be able to estimate what total royalties should have been. Well, I am now four e-mails into it with them, the last being sent by me today, 12/17/14.  The only response I received was a partial report of sales from this calendar year after my second e-mail (their on-line posting of sales are rarely, if ever, up to date), which is useless and does not answer my question. This has all raised further questions in my mind, which I intend to refer to another legal agency, one which, I hope, does investigate iU.  As I said, there are several other complaints posted on-line about iU.  Again, I am not making any allegations, just raising questions, like, Why won't iU send a meaningful response to my recent request?  Do they, in fact, report all sales and pay all royalties?  Do they keep all sales records on books published?  If not, why not? I posted before about their poor record with my book on their marketing programs.  And how, when they entered my book in their STAR Program because of its number of sales, they had the back cover description written by someone who either did not speak English as his/her first language or was just very poor at grammar. At any rate, that is my story to date.
Mar 17 2011
iUniverse I published with iUniverse and never heard anything about my book royalties or anything at all... ever.... , Internet
I published with iUniverse back in 2000 and did a 15 minute radio talk show about my book but never ever heard anything about my royalties... I have tried several attempts at trying to find out about this matter and keep getting the run around from one person to the next... It has been over ten years now and still I haven't heard anything... please help
Oct 17 2011
XLibris Publishing XLibris Book Publishing, XLibris Corporation POD publisher, vanity publisher, self-publisher Bloomington, Indiana
On 5 July, 2011, I began discussions with a representative of XLibris Publishing to  produce my third novel, Twisted Key. In the initial discussions and before paying for any services I made it clear to the consultant that I needed a cost-per-unit of around $6.00 before shipping costs are figured in for each copy I purchased. That price allows me to make a decent profit on each sale,  since I wholesale to indie bookstores at $12.00 per copy and retail to customers at $15.00. I was NOT given a cost per unit  but was assured it would be reasonable and until they calculated their setup and production costs any figure I was given would not be accurate. I liked what they had to say about what they could do for me and going with XLibris would put copies and promotional materials in my hands for the Fall selling season. So I signed their agreements and paid the $1050.00 fee to have the work done. It was only after the money changed hands that I was given a cost per unit of $13.00 for me to purchase copies for sale, and everyone I spoke with at XLibris said that is their Standard fee. Before the shipping charges were added, of course. Each of my novels requires 2 years of research, writing and editing. I cannot make a profit off of this novel. I cannot even make my $1050.00 back. I cannot afford to purchase copies of my own novel to sell, since nobody in his right mind is going to buy a 6 x 9 paperback for $20.00, which is what I would have to charge to make any money from a sale. On 27 September I sent an email to their Customer Service department laying out my concerns and their several failures to comply with the terms of the agreements for services (including the provision of an LLC# for the novel. I gave them 10 days to reply to the email. They have not chosen to do so. I am posting complaints and writing blogs to warn others away from doing business with XLibris Publishing.
Mar 06 2013
Schiel & Denver Publishing Ltd. Self-Publishing Houston, Texas
I contacted Schiel & Denver to publish my second book.  I thought that I'd finally found a publisher that would pay me good royalties and also allow me to keep the rights to my book.  I paid them $1800.00 to publish my book and an additional $655.00 for the bookstore return program.  I submitted my manuscript and payment information as requested and they gave me a log on to the author website and a release date.  As the release date grew closer, I still hadn't seen any proofs or authorized my book cover, so I started to contact them to see if there were any delays with my production.  They finally sent me the proof two days before the book was due to be release.  I saw the cover and I reviewed it carefully, just as I did the manuscript.  I informed them that I was satisfied with the work and gave them to okay to complete the production.  During that time, I notified a local reporter to set up a book review and I also started preparing for my book release party.  The release date came and I started looking for my complimentary copies to come in the mail.  I also submitted a request to purchase 100 more copies of my book for the release party.  The books didn't come a month after the release date of July 23, 2012, and I still hadn't received any response about my book order.  I started sending messages asking where the free copies were and what would be my price for the book order, and no one responded.  Finally after several attempts, I finally received a response for a person identifying themselves as the shipping manager.  He apologized and said that my book was delayed because they had an equipment malfunction that put them on backorder. I finally received my free copies of my book in mid-October.  I overlooked the book as I started to plan the event that I had cancelled and lost big on.  The front of the cover was great but my name was mis-spelled on the side binder.  There were also numerous errors within the text of the book.  I immediately notified them of the error, and I was told that I authorized everything in the proofs.  I informed them that that was not in the proofs and demanded that it gets corrected immediately because I'm a serious writer, but no one that sees that book would take me seriously.  I was then told that the corrections could be made if I pay $800.00 for the text corrections and $800.00 for the cover correction.  I escalated my complaint to management requesting some immediate assistance.  I was then told that they had bent over backwards for me to get my work out.  I informed them that they were not doing me any favors.  I paid for a service, and I wanted the service that they had elegantly written on their web page and in the emails prior to publishing.  I did not get one on one author support.  I did not get a quality product.  I did not get the immediate response that they promised.  As a matter fact, everytime I called the main line and requested to speak to a manager, they were always in a meeting and the call was never returned.  At that point, I was told that if I didn't stop harassing them, they'd void my contract.  My log on to the autor website was deleted, and each time I sent them an email or letter asking about my proofs and the status of my book sales, I never received a response.  Now, my book is posted on several of their websites for sale, but my followers and readers are calling me saying they ordered my book online, but they never received it in the mail.  Some of them have been waiting for three months for their book or their money.  I didn't receive any royalty information in February and I know for a fact, at least 50 copies have been ordered online by family and friends. Do not use Schiel & Denver for you life work because it will end in disappointment.  They'll throw the contract in your face that you have to honor, but they are not honoring anything in it except their payment.  If anyone has a class action suit against Schiel & Denver in the process, I would like to be contacted.  If their are any attorneys willing to file a suit against Schiel & Denver, please let me know.  Just FYI, I have all of the emails stored that I received from Schiel & Denver and the managers since our relationship started. Authors, writers, and novelist, do not trust Schiel & Denver with your work, your book, or your dreams.
Entity: Houston, Texas
Jul 21 2013
AUTHORHOUSE SELF PUBLISHING NEVER PAID PROPER ROYALTIES . HAVE PROOF FROM MY FACEBOOK CONSUMERS !!! BLOOMINGTON INDIANA
My wife self published a children's book the day benny stuck his neck out !  We never received proper royalties we can prove this by our # of friends on facebook who purchased her book doest come close to what was paid !  Also it is available on amazon all over the world in multiple languages ,on nook color & kindle electronically none of which can be traced by us because authorhouse is the principle on amazons account . My wife is Blind & handicapped it was her dream to be published . Her book deals with bullying & disability !!! SHE FEELS LIKE SH HAS BEEN EXPLOITED BY AUTHORHOUSE  & GROUP ACTION MUST BE TAKEN !!!  As many other Authors have also filed complaints  !!!  Please they are Bilking millions From Both Authors & Consumers !!!  IM Sure The IRS Would Take interest As Well  !!!  WHERE HAS THE INTEGRITY Of Literature & MANKIND GONE !!!     Verne   East Williston New York .
Entity: Internet
Apr 28 2017
Self-Publishing School SPS Chandler Bolt SPS broke there word and cheated me out $250 San Diego, CA Internet
Buyer Beware - Self Publish School Cheated Me and They May Cheat You.     I signed up with Self-Publishing School on March 22nd, 2017.  After one week I realized this was not for me.  Several reasons: 1) It is all online 2) I knew most of their writing tips 3) There are extra charges I didn't know about and 5) I got a chance to start a kids school where I live.... which is very time-consuming.       I asked for my money back per their 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.  They made plenty of excuses and delays.  Finally, I told them I would file a dispute with Visa and then they gave me back my money. It took 18 days for this to happen.        The reason I am filing this report, though, is because they broke their word on paying me a referral fee. I signed up a friend of mine in their referral program which pays $250.  She is staying in the school  When I was asking for my money back, I was told that if I canceled out I would not be paid the $250.  I pointed out that on their website, under the outline for how the referral program worked there was no mention that I had to be enrolled in the Self-Publishing School to be paid.  I  told them this and they said, Chandler Bolt, the owner had.       I  told them this and they said, Chandler Bolt, the owner had decided that was their policy.  This policy was created after the fact of me of me getting my money back.  When I signed up for their referral program, in the beginning, there was NO such policy.... in short they made it up.  I have written them several times since then and I have bene ignored.  I told them I would file a Ripoff Report and Pissed Consumer Report and still  I have been ignored.         If you wish to write a book I suggest you find another way. SPS signs you up for around $997 and they tell you to buy all these other programs.  I counted the other programs and it is 14.  So, when they sale pitch says you can be selling your book on Amazon... it is going to cost you a lot more than the beginning enrollment cost.     I would suggest you google Writer's Coach and find someone that will work one on one with you.  The book you write will          I would suggest you google Writer's Coach and find someone that will work one on one with you.  The book you write will probably be produced for less cost, less hassle and one on one attention.
Entity: Internet
May 30 2010
Fred Cleveland Publishing Assoiciates book publishing, self publishing, African American book publisher Atlanta, Georgia
Fred Cleveland of Publishing Associates, Atlanta, Georgia took my money to publish my children's book that I wrote and illustrated, over $4000, and never published the book. He claimed he needed all the money to pay the printer but months then years have gone by and he never published one book or refunded my money. I called him incessantly. He always had some flimsy excuse and said to expect the book the next week. This went on for months. Like most rip off artist, he is smooth and can really fool you after gaining your trust. He also ripped off the friend of mine who referred me to him. She also thought she could trust him and paid him for a product she never received. Never, ever give any money to this shyster!
Entity: Atlanta, Georgia
Sep 05 2012
Legacy Publishing Group Total Transformation Behavior Transformation Program, Self Help Parenting Program Internet
So I finally order the infomercial parenting program, The Total Transformation by Legacy Publishing Group.  I follow the exact instructions, take HOURS completing the detailed questionnaire that is utterly ridiculous and labor intensive.  I call to check when I'm due for my refund as they state so the program is FREE.  I learn I did not answer a question fully.  I'm within my 90 day return period so I fix and fax back.  I call again to check, they say I missed 2 questions.  IMPOSSIBLE.  I completed every nook and cranny of that ridiculous questionnaire.  I ask to have it faxed to me to see what they are on about, the answers are OUR property, we cant share with you----!?!  I WROTE IT!  I'm the author!  No secret to what I wrote, I know it all!  They said they mark it up and wont share their feedback....what feedback would THAT be?  Total BS.  Dont buy it, tell your friends dont even THINK about purchasing it---SCAM!  How can you not share the answers and program that I purchased from your company?  It's total insanity and biggest scam that I'm pist off I fell into.  More sorry that my dad purchased it for me and now HE'S out the money.  I had a long, STRONG conversation with everyone I could speak to there.  I will attempt again just to piss them off but I truly think they deal with these calls ALL DAY LONG everyday.  There can not be ONE person who got a return.  Now to find out how many people actually DO get refunded.  I'm not done with this company.  I hope I'm the sole person that brings them down!  Bring on a class action suit!  Would love to join it!
Jun 09 2010
iuniverse POD company steer clear of this company if you want to get published---not unpublished!!! bloomington, Indiana
I am the author of THE OAKLAND COUNTY TRAGEDY. A book about a terrible crime of arson that claimed the lives of five children who happened to have been my neighbors for years. The purpose of the book is to expose the truth about what actually happened at that home, and the fact that an innocent man is in prison doing life for what was obviously someone else's doing. The story about the author of BETTER NOT BITTER rings eerily similar to my own nightmares with iuniverse. It was as if i were reading my very own story written by someone else! The problems first started with their severe lack of competence,and the repetitive mistakes that seem to keep on popping up despite the fact that i've already paid to have them corrected. Some of which I didn't make in the first place!  Once the book became available online (with no input from their marketing department whatsoever) I was impressed by the international online exposure that it was getting. After quite a few months worth of this type of exposure I was puzzeled by the sales reports (when their website is finally allowing me to check). They were unrealistically low, and I had my suspicions of my sales reports being fudged or not being made available at all!  They claim that they can't track the sales from other outlets such as Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, etc. Yet I constantly see how Amazon and others sites are getting copies of my book and then having to order more. During the end of the quarter,when authors are supposed to be able to check on the sales history of their books, their website is always conveniently down and the information is not available to them.This is a perfect opportunity for an unscrupulous company to take advantage of the authors sales and pocket the royalties. Also, I too was e-mailed by none other than mr.Eugene Hopkins that someone made alligations that there were things in the book that weren't true, and that this was the sole reason that they were going to take the book off line. Even though this company is not responsible for any of the content because they did none of the editing, they chose to let one single phone call from a person that a lot to lose from this book being made public cause them to breach their contract with me. Once he promptly removed it from the web, he became impossible to reach, and would not respond to any of my e-mails or phone calls so that I could substantiate my claims or address whatever the concern was because Eugene sure didn't tell me specifically. In my opinion these people are nothing but crooks, and we authors need to get an attorney to file a class action lawsuit against this company.
Entity: bloomington, Indiana
Jul 31 2009
Authorhouse / iUniverse Swindled eight thousand dollars after fruadulent contracts to publish book My El Mochito Sephardim From NM. Bloomington Indiana
I am a 75-year-old woman who has been swindled by iUniverse and Authorhouse Publishing Companies. I wrote a novel entitled, My El Mochito Sephardim from Northern New Mexico. It is written in English and peppered with the Ladino language. I wanted this novel to be in print before I die. The money-including my credit card number - was at their disposal. Each time they made a mistake I sent a corrected version and they charged me for each of their mistakes. They used a one-size fits-all technology and it is impossible with two languages. By the time the book came out, the sum totaled more than $3,000.00 and unacceptable. I don't have the complete sum because I am partially blind and need help to go over the figures. I instructed them to stop the presses and credit the sum back to my credit card. They refused and kept over $3,000.00. In December of 2008, I submitted the novel to iUniverse not knowing that they had merged with Authorhouse in 2007. In hard-sell tactics, a woman by the name of Kathi Wittkamper talked me into hiring one of their editors. She assured me that someone with knowledge of the Ladino language would edit my novel to my satisfaction or the money would be credited back to my credit card account. The letter that followed our telephone conversation is attached. The amount came to $4,800.83. Needless to say, they assigned an editor without any knowledge of the Ladino language and she treated it as Spanish, issuing suggestions. I called Ms. Wittkamper immediately and told her that the editor had no concept of the Ladino language spoken by Spanish Crypto Jews their culture or the terrains and to please credit the money back to my credit card account. They refused and kept the $4,800.83. I am asking for a federal investigation into the tactics used by Authorhouse and iUniverse. It's called White Collar Crime. Scams of this magnitude must be stopped immediately. Searching the internet I found authors warning other author of scams by these publishers. Jo **** Rio RAncho,, New MexicoU.S.A.
Oct 15 2012
Iuniverse has ripped me off in every area of my book. From reporting known sales and report to IRS. Internet
Iuniverse is nothing but a rip-off company. They sent an amount to the IRS that did not not match my   sales and then took 28% off of the amount that they owed me of which I did not give them permission. Second I paid to have 100,000 e-mails sent out and according to them I did not sell one book.                                                                                                                                                                                                   I also know of sales from my book that are not showing up on my iuniverse sales and royalties account. Now they want me to send them proof of sales that I know of before they give me credit.

Showing 1-25 | Showing Page 1 of 670