PUBLISH AMERICA Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: publish america

There may be more reports for "publish america"

For more results perform a general search for "publish america"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jul 28 2012
Publish America PA sold my book in several countries and paid no royalties, Internet
I wrote a book in 2005 the lingerie room, and have discovered that this book has been sold on amazon, ebay in uk, powels books, indiaplaza, bondfaro.com.br, openlibrary.org, ciao.co.uk, buycdnow.co.uk, and in canada. As I live in UK PA most likely think I not discover this but I happened to look on site a week ago and discovered all the places they are selling my book - some say last one left and sold for 25 uk sterling. I have received no royalties whatsoever for these sales and PA deny ever selling the book I want to report this scam as they also relayed that they would promote the book in finland which they never did although I paid $45 for it  PA is using authors to make vast amounts of unaccounted for income and scamming authors of their rights to royalties I see I am not alone in this !
Oct 22 2009
PUBLISH AMERICA LLLP hollow promises, deceptive implications, mis-leading information on website, Frederick, Maryland
As a niave and first time author I was desperate to have my book published. I had done research on traditional publishers and other self-publishing companies, but the cost was prohibitive. I have been retired on 100% disability from the Social Security Admn, and loose money is just not to be found in my budget. he more I researched, the more depressed I got, figuring that I would never see my book in print. Then my search efforts led me to the PA website, and the more I read, the more excited I got. I stoppepd my research, and ssent my manuscript in, and my book was accepted. OMG, was this ever a dream come true. A NARCOLEPTIC IN THE UNITED STATES ARMY ISBN 1-60563-294-5 was written to assist undiagnosed Narcoleptics find the relief I have found through proper diagnosis and treatment by sleep professionals. My book is endorsed by one of the pioneers in sleep medicine. In the contract they mention not paying for books printed and sent for review and promotion purposes and that was okay with me. After all they were going to promote the book by sending review copies to the newspapers and book distributors...NOT! After waiting from June 2008 when my author copies arrived, I was like a little giddy kid. My book is in print, and I had the proof. In August no check was received, only a letter that no copies had been sold. I wrote an e-mail asking for PA to give me a list of people they had contacted, so I would not send books to those same people, but no reply. I took out an ad with a local magazine, CINCINNATI WOMAN, which has a distribution of over 35,000, and the magazine is distributed in the tri-state area, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana primariarily in libraries, where I found the copy I used to send the ad to. In early spring I placed an ad that went into the MAY-JUNE issue of the VVA VETERAN, which has a veteran distribution of about 60,000. I spent a lot of time and energy making a tri-fold brochure to place in libraries, laundramats, and other places where placards cna be left for the public to pick up and read, I made business cards and would go to Walmart and kroger, etc and put them in the books on their shelves, hoping someone buying a book would notice it and buy mine. I made pencils, and pencil cases and gave them away at the local flea market. I built 5 website, except the website provided by PA was not user friendly and if you did not have explorer 6 on your computer you could not build or edit your site. I sent copies to Regis and Kelly, sent a copy to Larry King, to the local radio station WGRR, and the AM station WDJO. It's not like I haven't been promoting the book. I regurarly received e-mails from PA enticing me to buy my own book, and I eventually bought 10 copies at a 50% discount. I received an enticement that for $299 I could add color photos to my book, and was on the edge of doing that, when the notice that my book had been selected to be published in a hardcover. I received an e-mail offer to get copies of my hardcover book, buy one get one free, however I had to pay full price. That was okay, because it would still cost me 12.95 each. I still have about 12 of them here with me now. I was appauled when I received my credit card statement, and then the books. I was charged $71.82 for shippin, when they could have put these books in two bulk rate postal boxes and sent them for less that $25. The quality of the book is poor at best. The hard bound copy does not even have the book title on the binding, which faces the person searching the library shelves. Sure, its on the paper Jacket, but what happens when the book is without a jacket? In August I received an e-mail that no books had been sold, and that no royalties would be paid. I replied to the e-mail that I had purchased 9 copies, and the promo e-mail said that I would receive royalties. The first check I received in Feb 2009 was for (2) copies sold in England, and the check was for $2.80. The second check was for 9 copies that I bought myself, after complaining to the support group, for $17.97. As I returned to my research about PA, I began to see that I was not the only fool in the croud. I've attempted to get my bbook into local booksellers, only to have them say they do not stock vanity press books, or PoD books. This happened at both Barnes and Noble, and Walden Books, which is owned by Borders. All hree of my local stores told me that I was not being considered for any future book signings. The door was closed in my face. I have received e-mails, after pestering the support group, asking me to supply names and e-mail address of my local papers, so they could send out press releases. They also said that I should make myself available for book signing which thry were going to set up. My hopes rose, and when nothing happened, they fell again. On Oct 1st I sent two certified return receipt letters, professionally written and politically correct, requesting that my book be released without predjudice, but at of today, neither of these return receipts have been returned. So in closing, if PA is not a company, preying on niave first time authors, 40,000 of them according to the website, then why did Willem Meiners not use his own company to publish his own book? Because he knew that it would not be promoted and stocked in brick and mortar book stores. This fact alone tells me that he knows he is scamming first time authors, who believed the things they have published on their website. Willem's book, HOW TO UPSET A GOLIATH BOOK BIZ: PUBLISH AMERICA: THE INSIDE STORY OF AN UNDERDOG WITH A BITE is sold, published by LIGHTNING SOURCE INC June, 2005 for $23.95 If I settle with PA, I will not sign the gag clause, because they can not buy my right to free speech, like they have with other disgruntled authors. I'm starting an active campaign to expose them for the people they really are, that includes the leaches who work for them. They take home a paycheck, knowing full well that it comes from the stolen books that they publish and sell back to the authors who wrote them.
Sep 07 2010
PUBLISH AMERICA THE GREAT AMERICAN LIE, OF ALL VANITY PUBLISHERS, Internet
     2010 is a very turbulent year, for PUBLISH AMERICA, for the reason that this VANITY COMPANY lost too much profit, which lead to their demise, of posting FALSE OFFERS, for the aspiring authors:       EXAMPLE:   If you order books to keep on hand, WE'LL SEND THE SAME AMOUNT OF COPIES TO OPRAH WINFREY, for her to REVIEW YOUR BOOK!    WARNING:  DON'T BELIEVE THIS AD.  This is just a MARKETING PLOY to coerce the authors to PURCHASE more books, and BELIEVE ME, OPRAH WILL NOT RECEIVE COPIES OF YOUR BOOK AT ALL.....     As a result, that VANITY COMPANY didn't pay royalties to ASPIRING AUTHORS, like myself and I'm not falling for their BALDERDASH....      Worst of all, this VANITY COMPANY, LIED IN THEIR CONTRACT, ( Yes, the whole entire contract. )      The only way for an author, to forge ahead in the United States, is to HAVE A LITERARY AGENT SUBMIT YOUR MANUSCRIPT to a MAJOR PUBLISHING COMPANY.      The ATTORNEY GENERAL wants no part of this, because PA offered FREE SERVICES to all aspiring authors, therefore, if you didn't pay for their services, THERE'S NO CASE.       Reason:  Due to my FIXED INCOME, I'm unable to market myself any further and BLOG TALK RADIO will not do any good for someone, who's signed with a VANITY PUBLISHER......
Feb 19 2011
Publish America VISIBLY, VERIFIABLY, IRREFUTABLY, UNDENIABLY GUILTY OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT Frederick,Maryland
I cannot show what I need you to see on this site. Go to this link and you will see for yourself the physical evidence of the proof that Publish America is guilty of copyright infringement. Here is the link..... http://1wordywoman.livejournal.com/15147.html I am author Amber Michelle and I am a victim of Publish America Posted this day of February 18, 2011
Jan 16 2011
Publish America Breach of contract, lies, misrepresentation of company & services Internet
Publish America offers themselves to the unsuspecting, would be, author as a Traditional Publishing Company. They are in fact a sham, only a POD that uses locations in the UK as well as the USA to con victims out of money with misrepresentations and lies about their services and products. Publish America has very one sided and vague langauge in the contract that leaves the Author with no rights, no help. PA is known to be a scam, they are referred to as a POD online and ONLY Publish America calls itself a traditional publisher. In the publishing business the services offered by Publish America are considered to serve the POD industry rather than a traditional publishing company: PA doesn't edit, unless you pay; they do not market unless you pay; your title, full of errors will be available on web sites and ordered as a POD. You will not have atracking method to know if your book sells or where it sells. You will not sell many books and probably will invest far more than you would make in the 7 year contract in the first year alone. Books are marketed to authors only! If you want more you pay for it. They bait authors with deals & offers to get you to purchase your books so they cansay theywill send FREEcopies to book stores, celebrities, industry magazines, etc. No promises it will happen just it might be read by who knows. PA can't sell your book so they have to GIVE it away, some marketing ploy! There are many thousands ofupset authors out there. The press, media and our government leaders should step up and shut down PA to stop the fraud and the heartbreak. RED FLAG Publish America's name. They should be named Scam America!
May 09 2010
Publish America Book Publishers wont pay royalties Internet
They have not paid royalty checks for over a year. They have failed to fulfill their side of the contract. I want out of the contract, to receive my royalties and get the pdf files of all of my books!!
Nov 03 2011
Publish America Beware all hopeful writers. Stay away from this company. Internet
My manuscript for Deadly Shamrocks was accepted by Publish America and I was sent a sample contract to review. After e-mailing them back I was sent the actual contract and an electronic signature page. My book was published and released 09-20-10.From the first day after I signed my contract I have been bombarded with e-mails from Publish America offering specials to me to buy my book, have an agent represent me, have my book presented to a screenwriter, have my book reviewed by J.K. Rowling, etc. All of these speical deals would cost me, the author, money. The price of the offer would be anywhere from 15.00 to have Publish America promote my book on their Facebook page, to 199.00 to have my book reviewed by a screenwriter. I have only taken advantage of the deep discount offers to buy my own books for book signings that I scheduled myself.Publish America stated they would arrange book signings for me (which they did not do), send out a press release to all the media that I would give them (which they did not do), promote my book in a variety of ways (which they did not do). I have received one royalty statement since the book was released and that was in February 2011. I did not receive a statement in August 2011. When I inquired as to why I did not receive a statement, I was advised that all the statement went out and I should be receiving mine any day. As of 11-03-11 it still has not arrived.I created a website to promote my book as well as other authors published b Publish America. The reason for this website was to provide a place to network and exchange ideas on promoting and marketing since it was obvious we were on our own.Since that time I have received numerous e-mails from members of the website complaining about being ripped off. Many have stated they paid for special offers then was told by Publish America that it would not be possible at this time to provide that service. No money was ever returned.I e-mailed Publish America to ask if I could have the rights to my book returned to me. I was sent an e-mail reply stating I could purchase my rights for $150.00I am currentlyl corresponding with Publish America on behalf of myself and a few members on my website, once again trying to obtain the rights to our books back at no charge.Please, anyone who is considering using this company should research the company, read all the negative things written on several websites about this company, read the BBB report and any other information you can get your hands on. I regret ever getting involved with Publish America. I will do almost anything to prevent another person going through what I have gone through with Publish America.
Oct 14 2011
Publish America Had 9 months of opportunity cost wasted! Frederick , Maryland
They accepted my book and a contract was completed.  I called and emailed every month or two to get updates and was always advised to email the customer support dept.  Other than the switchboard operator who does not know any specifics, I was never able to talk to someone about my book.  After 9 months of being in the dark ,they told me they were cancelling the contract because they did not approve of my book's content.  If that was the case, they should have never contracted with me.  It is too bad, because they could have possibly made alot of profit off my book by splitting royalties.  I will talk to an attorney to see if there is anything that can be done.  There are opportunity costs lost, but that may be hard to quantify.   So why would they do this to me or others?.....if you pay to get the express service or preorder copies of your book, they would get paid on the front end and may have a slightly higher inclination to do something with your work.
Jan 06 2013
Publish America, LLC Royalty Sales Fraud, Shadowy Business Practices, Contract Violations. Frederick, Maryland
PA published my first book Up All Night in March of 2007. For some strange reason, the Amazon listing said the book's language was Welsh. PA gave me a symbolic $1 advance and  contract where I would receive royalties starting at 8% of the retail price of Up All Night, $19.99 for all copies I didn't purchase myself and sold via online vendors. Up All Night was required reading for two sections of creative writing at Gettysburg College in the fall of 07. It was PA's Book of the week for the first week of September in 2007. It was on Amazon US's top twenty sellers list for Welsh language titles for at least two months, #2 behind the Welsh translation of Harry Potter (not worldwide, just Amazon US but still, I have several eyewitnesses to testify to this fact.) And for one week, Up All Night was the #1 selling Welsh language book on Amazon US, one ring above the newest Harry Potter book, Welsh translation.   According to Publish America's royalty statement for this period, 10 copies of Up All Night were sold on Amazon, 3 directly from them making for a royalty check, which included Amazon's 14.99 retail discount, and totaled no more than 15 dollars. Thus far, I had given PA 5,000 directly from me and my family's personal funds. My parent's also spent $500 on a book signing at English Country Manor. PA had given me Print on Demand publishing for a book I could purchase starting at $10 and keep the commission for every one I sell myself.   My first royalty check was around four and change, I rounded up. But from July 07 January 08, UP All Night had crossed oceans, united complete strangers, been required reading for creative writing classes at a liberal arts college, usurped the Welsh translation of Harry Potter for the #1 spot on Amazon.US. Been dubbed PublishAmerica's Book of the Week out of 20,000 titles and 500 copies of UP All Night to my knowledge, were in circulation. With the cover design, 500 copies would cost PA an estimated $1500 dollars to print and a $3500 profit directly from the content creator/generator/marketer and chief.  I gave a lot of copies away, sold copies at face value to no more than 21 dollars.  The rates for my author royalty-less price kept rising, I could no longer pick up the books at PA's headquarters and a six percent tax for residents of Maryland was added. I had to pay PA $40 if I wanted to talk directly to their staff which I refused to do on principal. They tried to by my movie rights, E-book rights and spammed my inbox with multiple emails daily. Ultimately, me and my family gave PA around 7K for Up All Night (1K for my second book with PA, Three Weeks without my cell phone), they gave me one dollar, a royalty check sum that did not exceed $27 dollars and an option to buy out of my original contract for the small de-listing fee of $100 plus tax and shipping for the author plates that still haven't been sent, three months after I bought them from PA.   The buyout started when Up All Night, sold no copies for over a year at $200. It was tempting but I had made 8K that year and, at that point, decided to wait for the offer to go down. The buyouts stopped after they discovered I published a book via Amazon.com's POD outfit, Mentally Chill. They returned at $100 dollars plus tax and shipping once I begin to inquire via Amazon about the online sales for Up All Night's ISBN number. So mathematically speaking, PA gave me $27 directly from their bank account. Me and my family gave them at least 7K and I have no way of knowing how many copies of Up All Night were sold online because they gave me a number that I know is egregious, erroneous, is fraudulent based on all the people I had no idea had purchased Up All Night till they told me how much they loved it as well as my status as both book of the week and Amazon.US Welsh language book bestseller.  I paid them 7,000 dollars by a low estimate. When I begin to inquire how many copies Up All Night sold online, they made me pay $112 dollars if I wished to terminate my contract. They do not treat author's the old fashioned way, the treat them the Dick Cheney way--they hijack your baby, deceive you about the sales figures, censor any of your genuine complaints, charge you for a direct line to them and make you buy out of the contract they consistently violated and you signed under the premise that you would be treated with honesty, fairness and respect, i.e. the old fashioned way. The final tally was me  living through the age of first serious onset for a mental illness, spending two years writing, refining and securing publication for it. Investing 8K into the book and yielding $27 dollars from my business partner whom had unlimited ability to print a copy whenever someone ordered it online, from  anywhere in the world, distort the royalty figures, deceive the content creator/generator about his baby's performance on the online market and the audacity to keep raising the price, keep sending me fraudulent royalty statements whilst spamming my inbox with 50 emails a month, offering me buyouts for a contract they consistently violated for 8x the amount of money they had given me from their own finances and, for an encore, bringing back my buy-out almost immediately after I began asking for transparency. I need a skilled media lawyer to get transparent sales figures for Up All Night and hold PublishAmerica accountable for their fraudulent business practices and violations of our author/publisher contract.
Nov 15 2012
Publish America Stole my Money Ouright, have proof from Amazon and IRS Frederick, Maryland
I am the author of The Rhythm of My Soul ISBN 1-4241-9537-3. I have received one check since my book was published for .13 cents. However I have been fighting with them for years to release the rights of my book for FREE which they want to charge my over $1000 dollrs to do, to give me my money etc. However recently I received proof from Amazon, SSI, and the IRS that my book is selling and royalties are being paid in my name to them. I informed them to make immediate payment. they told me to send the original forms of proof to them so they can investigate, they said no copies of proof allowed. LOL that is so they can lose my proof. I am looking for a lawyer who will please help me sue them for breach of contract. If Amazon, the IRS, and SSI are correct which who would you believe them or PA them by book has been selling thousands of copies or which i have made thirteen cents (.13).  Please if you are a lawyer or know a lawyer who can help me please contact me at the following: (((phone and email redacted)))CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Mar 13 2013
PUBLISH AMERICA, LLLP CRAIGS LIST SCAM, ANTIQUES FREDRICK, Maryland
I was selling my antique chest on Craig's list. They sent me a check for $2400. The chest was $600. They wanted me to deposit the check immediately and also take the $1800, keep my$600 for myself and go to western Union and send the remaing $1800 to a Justina Lee in Georgia. Needless to say the check bounced and I was only out $12 for a returned chek fee .Goes to show there are scammers everywhere, so be on the look out when things just seem to good to be true.
Entity: FREDRICK, Maryland
Oct 25 2008
Publish America Breach of Contract.. ripped me off Frederick Maryland
$1064.97 is what I paid for very poor quality books. In light of the lack of quality in the printing and in considering the abnormally high price of the books, I got ripped off! PA is in breach of the contract. They have breached the contract in the following ways: FIRSTLY, for failing to produce attractive and substantial-looking copies of the books. To quote the contract, paragraph 2, 2. The Publisher agrees to produce the said literary work in book form, in such format, type and style of paper, jacket and binding as will make the volume attractive and substantial-looking. It is specifically understood and agreed, furthermore, that the said volume will contain all manuscript pages as submitted by the Author (unless otherwise designated hereinafter), and will be printed on good quality paper with the bound size to be, approximately, 5 x 8 or 6 x 9 inches, or any other size as the market demands. My books are NOT attractive and substantial looking; instead they are cheap and ugly looking! Readers can't even see the pictures clearly. The first few copies of the book did not have this problem. What happened, did they run out of ink and think my readers and I would not notice? The black and white pictures inside the book were very poorly reproduced, looking more like faint gray and white pictures. The quality is getting worse and worse with every order I make. The books are not worth paying for. In addition, the latest run of the books does not appear attractive and substantial looking on the covers, which are very faded compared to the first run of books. The colors are not at all like the proofs or the very first few books. SECONDLY, for including advertisements for other Publish America books at the end of my books. The contract also does not anywhere give Publish America permission to place an ad for other Publish America books in the back of mine. I did not submit those ads to be published, nor did you ask my permission to do so. If they had asked, I would have denied them permission. You cannot put things I did not write, by authors unknown to me and perhaps not acceptable to me, in my books without permission and without any mention of ads in the contract. The contract says PA will print all manuscript pages as submitted by the Author, and as I stated, I did NOT submit advertisements for other people's books to PA. In addition, I notice that the photos and words found on the two ads were very dark and clear and crisp, unlike the faint, poor job PA did on the interiors and covers of my books! How can they justify good quality printing on the advertisements while simultaneously cheating me out of the good quality that PA legally promised to me in the contract? THIRDLY,PA has failed to report all sales and collections there from to me. The contract clearly states that 11. The Publisher agrees to keep and maintain true and accurate records relating to the distribution of copies of the said literary work, including reports of all sales and collections therefrom. In addition, the contract also says, The Publisher shall pay to the Author the following royalties: A royalty upon the regular edition sold in the United States and elsewhere of: 8 percent of the sales price thereof on the first 2,000 copies sold; 10 percent on the next 8,000 copies sold; 12.5 percent on all copies sold in excess of 10,000 . I have personally sold hundreds of books at the HIGH prices PA charges and PA has only paid me royalties for a few. I find this very questionable. I would like a copy of these records that PA is required to keep, including reports of all sales and collections, because I do not believe that PA is keeping and maintaining true and accurate records. I would also like to see the sales upon which PA is awaiting payment as well as completed sales. I dispute PA's figures on the royalties they have already paid, and I suspect that they are withholding royalties due and payable to me. In conclusion, I am a Christian and am careful to be honest in all my dealings. I am very disappointed that PA has not been honest with me and has cheated me out of money that, for my husband and me who live on disability, is very hard to come by. The $1064.97 that I paid for the latest order, plus the money I have paid for previous orders, represents a substantial percentage of our annual income. We cannot make this money back because no one will buy the books in such poor quality that PA has printed them, for the prices that PA charges. I would not demand the refund if they had been honest all along with the royalties and if they had not cheated me out of the very ink on the pages and printed such faint copies with see-through pages and faded covers. BigBertha Berryville, ArkansasU.S.A.
May 29 2014
Publish America Breach of contract on at least four of the contract agreements. Baltimore Maryland
Entered into a contract agreement to publish my book 7 years ago. I received a couple of small royalty checks for 6 months. After that I never received any more money, no reports as to what my book was doing. I contacted them several times on the phone and emails.  Got no results from either one of them. My contract ends in February of 2014 and have notified them before the six month deadline with my intent to terminate the contract and also demanding a copy of what the book had done during the contract period with no answer from them.
Entity: Baltimore, Maryland
May 19 2014
Publish America American Star Books Publishing Hoax, Rip-Off Baltimore Maryland
Publish America, which is now known as American Star Books has published my work incorrectly (despite the claim at the front of the book claiming they did not change a word of what I submitted), then asked me to pay to have them fix it. They have not helped me at all in the sales of my books, send misleading emails claiming to help with the promotions should I pay excessive amounts for their time to do so, and continually tell me that I cannot own my own work once the contract expires though it is my work and not theirs.I have found many places online where my book has been made available via PDF, which is a contract breach.  Publish America will do nothing about it.  I find many book sellers that claim they have my books in stock, which means they are physically at their store, and I have not been paid royalties for those books.Upon trying to contact Publish America, I got nothing but immature, non-professional all-caps emails telling me to basically go to hell and I am the immature individual who needs to grow up and let them do whatever they want.  I have kept all email communication with the said company and anyone who reads it will understand that it is they not me who have behaved inexcusably.Publish America continues as America Star Books, completely removing all contact information from their site, making it impossible to contact them except through a format link that provides only the ability to send communication without a guarantee it will get there, and if by some miracle it does, does not indicate you will have the ability to receive anything back.Publish America is a scam which all writers must avoid.  Most authors have used them because publishing companies are so hard to get into without an agent, and it is near to impossible to get an agent unless you are either rich or famous.  I used Publish America because I essentially wanted my books on the shelf and out of the way.  Still, having them listed as my publishing company does ruin any potential for a future career as a writer, as their name which has been reported all over the internet is associated with a rip-off company that does nothing but overcharge authors for books that can barely last one reading without falling apart.
Entity: Internet
40, Report #1120048
Feb 04 2014
Publish America, America Star Books, Author House(publish America companies and sister companies) CONTRACT ARBITRATION, FRAUD, RENAMING THEIR COMPANY TO AMERICAN STAR BOOKS Baltimore Maryland
my name is Robby William Forg Jr. from Louisville,Ky Im Also Known Under The Stage and Pen Name Frogg Corpse which my book was written as (Frogg Corpse)ive never once talked to a real person, publish america is under a new name now at americastarbooks.com/they arbitrated my contract in 2012 , i challenged for proof of promotion of book as well in 2012 for the vanity marketing i purchased for the London book fair around march or april of 2012 among other things i have all emails saved since the contract in 2011 i was fired around july-August 2012 after asking for proof under the lack of demand of book loop hole aside the arbitration they failed in contract to send and register my book to the library of congress and without sending the official paper. they took all assets i accumilated also charged me 8% in royaltys which is about 2$ per book after selling without discretion of price at 25$ without my say at the time since contract was signed November of 2011.The-Mourning-Hour-Frogg-Corpse/dp/1462645011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391251300&sr=8-1&keywords=frogg+corpsebarnesandnoble.com/w/the-mourning-hour-frogg-corpse/1107913356?ean=9781462645015they removed everything off of the books a million web store....then i typed my ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 into Wikipedia and the search Engine this is some of where it went and what i dont understand having aspergersthe ISBN-13 bar code to my book 978-1462645015 (ISBN-13): ISBN-10: 1462645011this is what was found as well as numerous and still unknown to me microbook stores i had not known of i have all files backed up since most of the buisness was done very seldom by gmail conversation  WorldCat free online catalog of the world's libraries Find this book at Internet Book Database online database Find this book at aNobii personal library catalog Find this book at Goodreads personal library catalog Find this book at LibraryThing personal library catalog Find this book at Shelfari personal library catalog Find this book at OttoBib.com citation metasearch Find this book at Copyright Clearance Center online rights database Find this book at Open Library Find this book at The Universal Digital Library (or .cn, .cn, .in) Find this book at the Grand Comics Database Find this book at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database Find this book at WorldCat free online catalog of the world's libraries Find this book at Internet Book Database online database Im seeking a Lawyer i talked to the BAR in baltimore and paid the 35$ but cannot afford a Lawyer so any help is much apprechiated. i also have some peice of mind that they work with AUTHOR HOUSE from Bloomington Indiana. Please help ....Email me(((REDACTED)))     -Frogg Corpse
Entity: Baltimore, Maryland
Jun 10 2010
Publish America Publish America is the biggest scam in the publishing industry! This Publish on demand ,POD,company has been misleading authors for years. They claim to be traditional publish Publish America is the biggest scam in the publishing industry! Internet
Publish America is the biggest scam in the publishing industry!        This Publish on demand (POD) company has been misleading authors for years. They claim to be traditional publishers, which is a total LIE. This company has made bundles of money off new gullible authors by publishing their books and selling them back at discounted rates to the authors. They do no conduct any promotions or distributions, even if the authors facilitate it. The alleged promotions are paid for by the authors when they buy their own books. No one will actually ever know if these promotions have actually taken place.  PA's representatives are only addressed by first name or anonymously as Publish America support. It takes miracle for them to get back to you with the simplest question. Most book stores will not carry Publish America books, because they equate PA to any other self-publishing house or worse. It also takes over two months to receive a book after you order it from Publish America. Their royalty statements are vague and inaccurate. You will never know how many books your book has sold, unless you hire a private investigator. They can basically do whatever they want. This is an unethical and integrity free company. You are better off being unpublished than being stuck with this alleged publisher. Review the innumerable complaints against this company on the internet. It is truly a publishing mill that will publish anything they receive. They actually have an electronic editor that will keep your book filled with mistakes. You better hire an editor before you approve your final transcript assuming that you will decide to go with this scandalous company. Ironically, their representatives are taught to defend their scams, and they pretend to have pride and ethics. Publish America is truly the biggest scam in publishing history! It's so big that many other scam artists have started their own POD publishing houses. Beware!!! Research this publisher before you submit your transcript.
Entity: Internet, Internet
Oct 09 2011
Publish America False advertisement: Publish America is actually a subsidary publisher more than a tradtional publisher. The publisher gains most of the profit; author, very little. Internet
Publish America advertises itself as a traditional publisher but this is incorrect.  They are actually a subsidary publisher.  But this you do not discover until after the author has signed a contract with their company.Publish America first says it never requests money or funds from the author.  But in time, they request money for any corrections on original manuscript.  They also then request funds for advertisments, for illustrators, etc.True, Publish America does give unknown authors the chance to be published.  But it is the author himself, or herself, that pays for copy of their books and that is the way the publisher makes money for their company.  Or they doing something illegal?  That I cannot say.  It is true, the author does not pay to have their book published with their company.  But at the same time, it appears the publisher itself is the one gaining the profit.There is never a guarantee with the publisher or perhaps with any publisher about what the profit might be on the sale of books.  Perhaps this is the same with all publishers, espeically with our present economy.  I believe everyone has to be aware of this before they decide to publish their book with this company. If anyone out there has had a profitable success with Publish America, I would like to know who that particular person is.
May 12 2011
Publish America/Miranda Prather Raymond, Publish America, Miranda Prather SCAMS, LIARS, PRIVACY VIOLATION Frederick , Maryland
I've been with Publish America since about August 2009, at first I thought they were a great company and have given me a great boost as a writer in the industry.....Little did I know from the get-go this company is a scam in a whole. They are nothing but complete liars, scam artists, and people whom are (trained by Miranda Prather) to lie their way through business. My experience with Publish America started to turn sour when I noticed people had been buying my books (they'd come & ask me How you likin being an author? Is the money nice)? I asked myself time after time what money are they talking about? I for the longest time didn't believe any of my friends nor family when they said they'd boughten a copy of my book from anywhere for that matter. Turns out for the copies that were sold of my book (Not sure of an exact count) Publish America never paid the royalties that were due. After my first confrontation with Publish America, they dismantled my books and marked them no longer for sale at any such venue (like they were before) and haven't released any since, nor put my first two back up for sale. When 2010 rolled around, the scam started to turn serious & illegal at that. During November of 2010, I was a victim of a Privacy Breach (Publish America knowingly violated the privacy clause in the So serious contract that they send out before you actually sign up to be an author. They gave out my personal information to a complete stranger over the phone (note: this stranger has absolutely no connection to me, nor my work as an author, nor publish america for that matter). I myself have watched the video and specifically heard someone from Publish America answer the phone (Hello, Publish America how may I help you?). Upon giving out my personal information over the phone to a complete stranger, my information was then plastered all over youtube & the internet sparking rumors that I'm a Pedophile and outrageously older than I am. I have confronted Publish America about the privacy violation (I have a link to one of the videos that were posted, Youtube finally took the video down the morning of May 12th, but the description is all the proof I need).  When I confronted Publish America, they specifically said Sir we do not have the power to do such a thing (note: They were repeatedly laughing over the phone as I was saying this, not taking any such thing I said seriously). They then went on to imply that I was lying about having proof of the violation, (which I wasn't and haven't whatsoever I have the link proof, and proof of a comment left by the same woman they gave the information to on an entire different website.) (She clearly states Derick Goff is not a 16 year old minor, but a 20 year old pedophile, ACCORDING TO HIS PUBLISHER. Publish America is by far the worst scam I've ever come across in my life, and i advise all new authors to AVOID THIS COMPANY PERIOD HANDS DOWN NEVER APPROACH THEM WHATSOEVER.
Mar 02 2011
Publish America LLLP contract breaches, gag clauses, ceased to publish, communication has stopped, new $1.40 royalty check, Internet
After one year persuing this company on the internet via five different websites titled whypublishamerica I finally gave up.     I received on the average of 2-3 e-mail solicitations a day to purchase my own book and they would send the same number of copies to my great-great aunt lucy or whatever.     In June 2008 my book came out at an embarrasing $19.95, jumped to $24.95 and then to $29.95. Add $3.99 per book for shipping and its really out of bounds.    My first royalty check was a whopping $2.80 which seems to be the typical first check, then I bought 9 copies in order to get my book into a hard cover by replying to an e-mail special that they would pay royalties on the purchase. They first sent me a no sales royalty statement via e-mail (breach accounting error). I responded by sending them the e-mail solicitation and a check for $17.96 was sent (breach accounting error because the royalty should have been $17.97). The ISBN # on the check stub was for the soft cover (breach accounting error). I responded by informing them that the statement was wrong and in Dec 2009 I got another check from Larry-boy for $17.96 which had no accounting stub attached (breach).    I received my $1 as promised and the last item of my contract stated that this $$ would be deducted from my first royalty check (breach because to this day they have not deducted that $$).   Please excuse my fumble fingers if I have typo's, I suffer from A-O connected neuropathy and have a tendency to hold the key too long.   My 1099-misc was not sent for the $1 advance and the $2.80 royalties (breach) for 2008 sales. My 1099-misc for 2009 was for $17.96 and did not include the $2.80 which was actually paid in 2009, the second check which was issued in Dec 2009 (breach accounting error).    Now this may not seem like much but $31+ can push one into another tax bracket. Not reporting royalties can get one into trouble.    In several e-mails to author support I requested a full accounting of the number of bookss printed and distributed. I received no reply as my contract states that I have to pay for any additional accounting info. The Printing company LSource would not give me the data and sent me back to PA for it. I went into the book sellers sites and requested info and only Alibris acknowledged that they did in fact have 8 copies of the book.    Today I got another ccheck, yes to the above individual that mentioned a check for $1.40, so was mine. I still have no 1099-misc for 2010 (breach for yet another accounting error). By coincidence the book once again sold for $17.47. In totla I can account for 10 copies of the soft cover which, like a fool, I sent out in media kits to Regis, Larry king, a local radio station and my local library. I bought 9 copies of the hard cover and received nine free but I paid full price at $24.95. The hard cover then jumped to $29.95 and stayed there.    I've contacted the local office of the FBI, filed on the internet crimes site FBI-IC3, filed with th FTC, BBB-Maryland, DoD (Department of Defence), FBI disaster fraud site, the American Red Cross, The Barbara Bush Foundation, The Lincoln Library, Borders, B&N, Apple, NBC Today, Target, Walmart, and the IRS.     I have now prepared a presentation for the Kentucky Attorney General which will be my last effort to get someone to actually care about what these people are doing.    The contract mentions prromoting the book and has trapped all / any kind of publication but at their descretion which means you buy your own book at a deep discount and maybe they will approach Amazon to handle a kindle version. There is no way to track whether or not they actually send Oprah 5 copies or not.   I knew I would have to participate in seling the book, but I've been turned down by the local book sellers because this is a PA published book. B&N told me that when I get my publishing rights back andd re-publish the book they would let me do a signing. My local Borders manager told me the same thing.    I am not nor will I ever be a career author. It was never my intention to make a fortune on this book. I simply wanted to help undiagnosed narcoleptics find the relief I have found through modern medicine.   My re-write is no in print with a very good PoD publisher Avid Readers Pub Gp and I'm pleased with the quality and the price. Yes, I paid a fee +- $200 but I got a better book with three times as many photos and a fixed price per book. If it is sold through an online seller I get almost 50% royalties. If I sell the book myself I get it all.    So, for the novice like me, pay out the bucks and avoid PA LLLP like the plague unless you like reading redundant / repeat e-mail soliccitations to buy your own book.  Anyone refuting this article can buy a copy of the presentation I'm sending at the PA price of $195.00. Just kidding. If you want to use it as an example to send one to your state AG just google my ISBN and look me up in the phone book. 1-60563-294-5 can be found at B&N but please don't buy this book, buy the new one 978-1-935105-91-4.    PA wallflys...we don't blame you. You're just employees like the people who work for the company that sell their morals, principles for the price of a paycheck.
45, Report #190480
May 08 2006
Publish America - America House - PublishIcelandica - PublishAtlantica - PublishBritannica Deceptive business practices advertising, fraud, scam, rip-off, unprofessional, Frederick Maryland
Publish America advertises to be a commercial publisher (traditional publisher), but it is not. It is a POD/vanity publisher. I was under the impression that PA was a commercial publisher. Publish America uses deceptive wording to draw in potential authors, such as saying that books will be available through bookstores. That doesn't mean an author's book will be in the bookstore, and PA books aren't. Books are listed at online bookstores. Bookstores and libraries won't carry Publish America books. PA books aren't 'standard' books, and the prices for PA books are horribly high. PA books are error riddled as well. My book had errors. Publish America does no marketing, though through deceptive wording, authors think PA will market their books. Authors are responsible for 100% of marketing. Authors pay out of their own pockets for books for book readings and the like. Publish America sends order forms instead of media releases to authors' families, friends, and local newspapers. Newspapers won't print these 'releases'. I had to write my own for the newspaper. Publish America responds unprofessionally to authors when they question what it does as far as books not being in the bookstore, small royalty checks, high books prices and the like. I have an email from PA after finding out what is really about, and it is blantantly unprofessional. Anyone who questions PA's practices on its messageboard gets banned, as I did, or has their comments deleted. Publish America wants its authors to buy their own books. Having a book published with Publish America won't give authors literary credit. Authors get a pitiful $1.00 advance. Commercial publishers give a lot more. The print rights of PA authors' books are with PA for 7 years, which is ludicris. Dana Four Oaks, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Mar 21 2006
Publish America, PA ripoff : This company sold my books and did not pay me for them. I have proof of sales! Frederick Maryland
I received a royalty check for $0.00. That's no typo. ZILCH! They actually sent me a check for zero dollars and zero cents. I have proof that I had sales early in the royalty payment period. Several people have come forward and admitted that they bought my book. They mentioned it on the page where a review can be written for my book: (www.publishamerica.com/books/8529) Just click read review and you will see, if they have not yet deleted it. I asked them to void my contract, but they refused. Instead, they want me to tell them about the books I have proof of. That would be a foolish thing for me to do. Then they would not pay for royalties that I may not know about. In the meantime, I am collecting names and evidence of books that have sold from people who have bought my book. This was a hard lesson to learn. Next time, I will check to see if a publisher has books in stores before signing with them. Fayeshawn! Orlando, FloridaU.S.A.
Sep 11 2006
Publish America, Rosemary-employee Refusing to adhere to 7 yr contract, leaked manuscript, refuse to pay royalties, deceptive and dishonest sales pratices Frederick Maryland
I believe that Corporate Fraud, and Copyright Infringement was perpetrated by this company. I believe that my manuscript Glimpses of Life, possibly has been sold secretly, possibly online through Amazon etc, and offline at stores possibly, but under another name and title other than the title above and my name, printed in Jan-Feb of 2006, with the belief that profits have been made under another's name, without the percentage being allocated and without my authorization or knowledge. I am an aspiring author and my first Poetry Book Glimpses of Life is set to be published soon (supposedly). I signed a contract with Publish America in Jan of 2006. I mailed in a hard copy of my 60 pages or so manuscript to Publish America, and they accepted and offered me a contract. There after I was made aware of the request that requires new authors to e-mail a copy of their manuscripts through PDF, RTF, and TXT format in order to Advance into the publication process. However, I relocated from Chicago, IL to Morrow, GA, in Jan of 2006, for business purposes and the project was placed on hold. During this time I hadn't received any e-mails from Publish America inquiring about my manuscript (they only correspond through e-mail and letter). I returned to Chicago May 31st of this year and I resumed work on my amended manuscript with 2 additional poems. Despite the fact that PA has had an awful reputation of being fraudulent, and rendering un-ethical business practices, refusing to pay royalties, refusing to adhere to the contract, ignoring e-mails from authors, non-editing etc, I maintained an optimistic outlook, because I felt as a un-solicited Poet/Author I had very few options. I finally e-mailed my manuscript in an incorrect format according to an employee, and she claimed that they would not be able to start the publication process due to the incorrect format. So, I had the entire manuscript re-scanned in an rtf format. Once I e-mailed it to PA I never received a response, informing me that they would begin the process. Then On July, 17th 2006, I received an e-mail stating that royalty statements and checks would be mailed out by the end of August, and that x amount of copies was sold, in which caused suspicion in my mind! I confronted PA with my concerns through e-mail and through letters, and there was no response. Then I was e-mailed at the end of July in which they requested for me to choose the length of the publication process of my book, and was asked to agree to certain options. I agreed to a fast track option (4-6 week process), and then soon after I was mailed a letter that claimed that they wouldn't be able to publish my book under Par. 25 of the Contract. Therefore, I referred to the Contract, Par 25, and it stated otherwise, it clearly stated that Publish America duty is to commence/ publish an author's book within 365 days. I responded by e-mail to their support dept, still I received no response. Then within 2 weeks I was mailed a package by Publish America it stated that they had began the Publication Process and that they would be publishing my manuscript. They also included the infamous $1.00 advance that they do with all authors. So far, it has been more then 6 weeks and I have not received the cover design lay out for my review. PA had exceeded their 4-6 week deadline, and I believe they are wavering in adherence to their contract, thereby breaching the contract. I also strongly believe that my manuscript has already been printed back in Jan, or Feb of 2006 and copies possibly have been sold, maybe in another name and title. I have e-mailed various departments asking if unauthorized activity regarding my manuscript has occurred without my knowledge including the willful act of infringement for profit in regards to royalties that have not been paid to me, and I had no knowledge that my manuscript was being circulated in print because PA was supposedly still awaiting the electronic copy of the manuscript through e-mail in printable format. I believe that since Feb, 2006 profits were possibly made secretly, and I have not received the percentage according to the contract, nor was I made aware of these sales. I believe that PA will continue to make every effort to not pay past due royalties and it is in their intention to continue to defraud me of my percentage by with-holding 100% of the royalties accumulated through sales. I am the owner of the intellectual property that has been copy written under my name in Jan of 2006 with the Library of Congress Copyright Office. Under Penalty and Perjury I pledge that I am authorized to enforce the copyrights that I allege have been infringed upon. In good faith belief that the use of my copyright-protected material has been used in the manner that is not authorized as stated in the complaint above. Kirsha chicago, IllinoisU.S.A. Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Poetry Scams-Various Website & Organizations
48, Report #202443
Jul 22 2006
Publish America ripoff didn't promote my novel, I did all the work, refuse to release contract FREDERICK Maryland
Publish America did not owe up to the contract signed. They didn't promote my novel in any way. All they did was try to sell me my own novels to me, family, friends. I did book signings and place books in libraires at my owe expense. I wanted out of contract and they refused. I am one pissed off Canadian. I want to lay a lawsuit against them and put them out of business. I can't really afford too hire a lawyer but I have no other choice. I want to find a honest publishing firm to publish all my novels and treat me fairly. I am a very good and dediciated author and want too be appreciated!! Thanks. Donna Bedford, Nova ScotiaCanada
Entity: FREDERICK, Maryland
Jan 29 2005
Publish America ripoff : I think they are lying to me about how many books i have sold Frederick Maryland
I think that PublishAmerica is lieing to me about how many books I have sold, because my royalties only reflect What my family has bought. I keep a daily check on all the on-line book stores who carry my book. I have noticed when they say in stock and out of stock, and then in stock again. They have to be selling, to be going in and out of stock. And as I have watched this for servel months I think my royalties check should be more than three copies sold. When I tried to ask other authors, if they had noticed simular problems, Publish America deleted my message and then banned me from the message board. Tammy Moody, AlabamaU.S.A.
Aug 01 2007
PUBLISH AMERICA TRIED TO MAKE ME GET PUBLSIHED BY THEM UNDER FALSE PRETENSE ripoff FREDRICK Maryland
I'M FROM THE SACHEM POET'S SOCIETY IN NY. MOST OF MY COLLEGUES HAVE BEEN PUBLSIHED BY PUBLISH AMERICA IN MARYLAND. SO I HAD SENT THEM A COPY OF MY MANUSCRIPT. OF COURSE IT TOOK THEM FOREVER TO GET BACK TO ME AND WHEN THEY FINALLY DID, THEY AID EVERYTHING HAS TO BE DONE VIA EMAIL. I HAVE NO COMPUTER AT HOME SO I HAD TO WAIT TO GET TO A COMPUTER TO DO THIS. FINALLY AFTER 2 MONTHS THEY SENT ME A CONTRACT IN THE MAIL. I IMMEDIATELY SENT IT TO MY LAWYER TO LOOK OVER BEING THAT MY MANAGER,,MY P.R. AND I DIDN'T UNDERTSAND IT IN FULL. WHEN SHE READ IT SHE WAS APPAULLED. SAID THEY ARE TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF AND DO NOT SEND IN CONTRACT. I HAVE SPENT THE LAST 6 MONTHS PROMOTING MY BOOK AND NOW FEEL BAD THAT PEOPLE ARE ANXIOUS TO READ IT AND IT WILL NOT BE PUBLSIHED TILL A FIND A REAL PUBLISHER. UNFORTUNATELY, THE REST OF MY POET'S SOCIETY HAS ALREADY SCREWED U P AND GOT PUBLSIHED BY THEM. THEY DO NOT OWN THEIR OWN RIGHTS FOR 7 YRS NOW AND HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ROYALTIES. SOME OF THEM EVEN HAVE 2 OR 3 BOOKS PUBLSIHED BY PUBLISH AMERICA. I AM THANKFUL I AM IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY AND HAVE PEOPLE TO WATCH OVER ME. I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE SURE THIS COMPANY GETS SHUT DONW. WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING TO MORE PEOPLE. SINCERELY Dj klueless HOLTSVILLE, New YorkU.S.A.
Entity: FREDRICK, Maryland