Complaint Review:

• Updated: Thu, May 09, 2013

• Reported By: Joe — Hollywood Florida
Rick Ebaugh
21726 Gregory St Dearborn, Michigan USA

REP Property Management, Rick Ebaugh Terrible Property Manager. Just as bad as my deadbeat tenants. Dearborn Michigan

*Author of original report: The onus is on you

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Joe Adkins obvious comprehension problem

*Author of original report: The incompetence continues...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Notice Of Closing Of Complaint File State Of Michigan

I had an investment that went bad and ended up with a rental house in Detroit. The first tenant I rented to did not pay the water bill for 2 years. Why the city did not turn off the water is beyond me. In Florida, if you don't pay 2 months in a row it's shut off. Unfortunately, the tenant never transfered the name of the water after I had all the paperwork notorized for her to do so. After getting worked over by this tenant I decided that I need a property manager who was local to keep an eye on the property. A handyman recommended Rick Ebaugh. Well, Rick was not much better than the tenants I had in Detroit. Rick is next to impossible to get a hold of. He rarely follows up with repairs that need to be performed and I had a lot of trouble just getting him to mail me the rent checks. He would often deduct money from the rent without running it by me for my approval. A repair gone bad example would be the house had a water leak. It turned out to be a running toilet. The tenant called rick to have it repaired and rick never got the toilet fixed. I received a letter in the mail from the water department stating that the water usage showed a continuious flow of water typically meaning there was a leak at the house. I reached out to Rick to find out what was going on and he said he would take care of it. Next thing you know I get a 200 dollar water bill. Rick had a lot of trouble finding tenant and the house went unrented for many months. He finally found a tenant and did not even have the decency to mail me a copy of the lease or inform me of the official date when the tenant moved in. Instead, he took pictures of the lease with his cell phone and and emailed the lease to me. I told him that this would not hold up in court. He said his scanner was down. I asked him to go to kinkos and fax the document to me. He got all offended and just stopped returning my calls. Over a year ago, I asked Rick to put some insurance on the house. He never did. Sometime after the new tenant moved in, he arbitrarily took out a policy without running it by me. To this date, I still don't have a copy of the policy, I don't know what the face value of the policy is or what the premiums are to pay for the policy. The only reason i found out that he had taken out a policy was he deducted money from the rent check. When I inquired about the details of the policy, he responded that I told him to get a policy and he got one. I responded that was over a year ago and I still expect to have the details of the policy before approving it. Rick was just out of control making decisions on his own without confirming them with me first. Lastly, he supposedly made some repairs and cleaned up after having a tenant evicted. He never sent me any invoices or receipts for the services he allegedly performed. When I finally had enough of his terrible service as a property manager, he decided to keep the tenant security deposit. I told him that was illegal and since the tenant is still in the rental that he would have to send the security deposit to me because I was terminating our business relationship. He ended up keeping the money claiming if was payment for repairs and clean up for which he had no receipts or proof that he had done them. In my opinion he took advantage of the fact that I live in Florida, just as my tenants had done previous to hiring a property manager.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2013 07:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/rick-ebaugh/dearborn-michigan-48124/rep-property-management-rick-ebaugh-terrible-property-manager-just-as-bad-as-my-deadbea-1049533. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rick Ebaugh

The onus is on you

AUTHOR: - ()

Rick, there's one way to settle this, simply post the security deposit online. If I endorsed it and deposited it in my bank then you would be clear. Unfortunately, you have not been able to do this or you would have posted it to my complaint 4 years ago. The fact that you are resurrecting this 4 years later shows that it must really be bothering you. If you would have addressed the issue back then, we wouldn't be at this point now. Take care and good luck to you.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Joe Adkins obvious comprehension problem

AUTHOR: management - (USA)

Joe, It's amazing your going on about the City of Detroit and the ruling came from the State of Michigan. Don't you even know where you filed your complaint? Shocker. The State looked at your evidence or lack of on your part and ruled against you. Why you ask, cause my evidence rebutted all your claims. I thought it interesting that a large client hired me a few years ago because of your post against me. They were amazed that I had so few negatives in this line of business written against after 24 years in the business. Thanks for that Joe it was appreciated.

The incompetence continues...

AUTHOR: - ()

Ok, so four years later the incompetent City of Detroit can't prove that Rick Ebaugh illegally kept my tenant's security deposit. Shocker! This is the same City that allows a tenant not to pay a water bill for 2 years and then puts it on the owners property tax to pay. This is the same City that still has my name on the tax bill and I haven't been the owner in approximately 4 years. I've sent them all the paperwork, as well as, the new owner sending in the paperwork showing a change in ownership. Also, Rick stated they couldn't prove anything, but that letter was not uploaded to the website. Let me guess your scanner is still down and the letter is sitting with my lease and my insurance policy that I never received. Lesson learned don't be an out of state landlord, people will only take advantage of you. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself and even when you hire a property manager to do things on your behalf you still have to be local to keep an eye on them. There's really nothing more I can say.  His work, or lack thereof, will cause his reputation to suffer the consequences. Stay Classy Detroit.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Notice Of Closing Of Complaint File State Of Michigan

AUTHOR: management - (USA)

State of Michigan response to Mr Joe Adkins alleged violations by Rick Ebaugh are as follows

Following a complete review of your complaint and all documentary evidence submitted to and or collected by the department, we are unable to substantiate a violation of the Occupational code 1980 PA 299 , as amended

Signed by Sylvestor Jackson Detroit Regional Manager Enforcement Division. Complaint number 6513001262

Phone number 313 456 0485