Complaint Review: Ritz Camera

• Reported By: Raleigh North Carolina
  • Ritz Camera
    Cameron Villege Shopping Center
    Raleigh, North Carolina

I entered the Ritz Camera store located at the Cameron Village Shopping Center in Raleigh, NC on Saturday Feb. 05, 2005 at approximately. 5:50 pm.

I was asked by a clerk if he could help me and I replied I was just browsing. I was intent on purchasing either a Sony or Panasonic Video Recorder. As I looked over the Camcorders another customer was complaining about why Ritz quoted a one hour developing time when such was not true at this store. One angry customer out the door. The two clerks were gossiping about what a jerk that Lady was blah, blah, blah.

As I studied the features on a Panasonic Video Camera one of the clerks began turning off the store lights while staring right at me. It was exactly 6:05 pm I looked at him and said "are you closing" he said "yes". I thought the store closed at 7:00 pm., my mistake. However, isn't it common courtesy to alert a customer that the store is closing BEFORE turning the lights off while they're still in the store? Isn't it common courtesy to ask a customer whether the clerk can be of any assistance as they're about to close for the evening? I was set to purchase either a $400 or $500 Video Camera for a Wedding the next day.

I turned and walked out the door and a stood for a few seconds and returned and opened the door and said to the clerk who turned out the lights on me " I wanted to purchase a Video Camera" his replay was "well, you said you were only looking". I said "that was 15 minutes ago". He pulled the door closed on me and I pulled it open and asked his name--no reply and then I asked where the Ritz Corporate offices were located. His reply was Beltsville, MD and he closed the door on me again. As I walked away he opened the door again and said sarcastically "If you want to buy something you can come in" I said "never, never again"

I was so angry! I drove to Best Buy and browsed around their Video Camera display. I was approached by a very pleasant young man. I explained I was just browsing at the Video Cameras. He ASKED me what features I'd be interested in and I told him. He found the exact Video Camera with the features I wanted. The Camera was a bit more expensive than I anticipated but the extra features were worth the extra cost. He then went on to should me Digital Cameras and some to the new models just coming on the market. I had no intention of purchasing a Digital Camera but I had a Daughter's Birthday coming up in two weeks so after this outstanding young Man explained the features I bought it.

So, Ritz Camera lost three things this afternoon due to they're horrific customer service.
1.) A loyal customer
2.) $699 Video Camera sale
3.) $450 Digital Camera sale.

Jeff
Raleigh, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2005 06:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ritz-camera/raleigh-north-carolina-27605/ritz-camera-ripoff-terrible-customer-service-raleigh-north-carolina-130282. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Ben - (U.S.A.)

Some people are just jerks and can't follow the rules. Don't let them ruin your day.

As a former employee, we CAN'T under penalty, ask an employee to leave or turn the lights off usually until after the registers are counted.

I guess he was in a hurry, too, because they stay until you leave. If the employee was as friendly and smart as the Best Buy employee mentioned, the sale wouldn't have taken very long anyway!

It's unfair to you because you shouldn't have to anticipate the employee's mood. I'm glad you found some help.

Resolution for future reference: Call the store and speak to the manager. You don't need the employee's name, just a time, day and description of the employee.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds