Complaint Review: Royal Nonesuch Humor Writing Award

• Royal Nonesuch Humor Writing Award
    351 Farmington Avenue
    Hartford, Connecticut
    USA

Royal Nonesuch Humor Writing Award Mark Twain House Discrimination against male writers Hartford Connecticut

*Author of original report: I stand by the report, but will spend no more time on it

Male humor writers: Do not enter this competition. You have almost no chance of winning. 95% of staff are female, and 85% + of the winners have been female during the lifetime of the contest.

These women, apparently determined to rectify past wrongs in one fell swoop, have no concept of objectivity or how to properly run a contest. Unfortunately, this is practically the last humor writing contest left in America (the Erma Bombeck contest doen't seem promising for males).

I was in communication with them about this over the last couple of years, and have strong reason to believe that all decisions at every stage in the process during that time were made by a single, inexperienced young woman. It's possible that a few women were involved, but certainly no men.

This year, they have a male executive director and supposedly had both male and female final judges -- "final" being the key word. If all of the readers (screeners) are women, it hardly matters who is doing the final judging.  The judges were probably presented with entries that were almost entirely written by women.

Women and men have different senses of humor. I'm deeply sorry that females were discriminated against in every arena for centuries, but few living male writers are to blame for that. Two wrongs do not make a right.

I sent the organization lots of information about how to properly run a competition, ensuring objectivity. But this was clearly ignored. The crowning irony, of course, is that this corruption and discrimination is all done in the name of America's greatest humorist, who happens to have been male.

The only way to salvage this competition now is to relaunch, with a brand new, transparent process, in which males are included in every step of the judgin process. Until then, as long as I live, if necessary, I will be rigorous in warning male writers away.

I really did try to work with these people and have all the email correspondence.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/04/2017 09:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/royal-nonesuch-humor-writing-award/hartford-connecticut-06105/royal-nonesuch-humor-writing-award-mark-twain-house-discrimination-against-male-writers-ha-1404113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
0Consumer
0Employee/Owner

I stand by the report, but will spend no more time on it

AUTHOR: - ()

I pounded this report out quickly, and would tone it down in retrospect. It was not conceivable to me that it would not be editable or removable.

Still, the complaint is legitimate. I warned the organization many times that I would eventually complain publicly. They did provide some weak lip service at first, yet clearly never took me seriously. I provided them with a lot of information about how to ensure greater objectivity in the contest. This was never acted on or even acknowledged.

However, if I had this to do over, I would not file the report. The complaint is absolutely legitimate, and I will never deal with the organization again. Yet it's always a bad idea for a writer to get caught up in crusades. I have a lot of other work to do, and have already spent way too much time on this particular injustice.