Complaint Review: SCEA (Sony)

• Submitted: Mon, November 02, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, November 02, 2009
  • Reported By: ChadAragorn — Surprise Arizona USA
  • SCEA (Sony)
    919 & 989 East Hillsdale Boulevard
    Foster City, California
    United States of America

SCEA ,Sony, Sony Computer Entertainment of America PS3 Firmware 3.0 & 3.01 renders system useless. Charge $150 to fix Foster City, California

On November 17 2006, I purchased a 60gb PS3 system, model number CECHA01, serial number CE221655867. It cost over $600.00. I love my PS3 and it is very well taken care of, I dust it daily, it has plenty of room to breathe. It was working perfectly up until the time in September, when I was forced to download firmware update 3.0.

I like playing online and in order to do so, the latest firmware is required. The problems started slowly, a game would freeze here or there, I didn't really think much of it.  A couple of days later, I updated to firmware 3.01, and the real problems started to happen.

On 9/11/09 my Iron Man bluray movie froze in the middle of play, now all of my games boot up and play, but after about 10 minutes, they freeze the system. Upon reboot, the game is no longer recognized as being in the drive. Were this truly a harware failure, games wouldn't play at all.

I have done plenty of research about this issue, thousands of other people are experiencing varying degrees of the same issue, this can't be a coincidence. Sony is ignoring this issue, they claim that there is no way that their firmware is responsible for the problem. I maintain that the alleged firmware has caused my system to malfunction. My warranty is expired, it was only a 1 year warranty. Sony now wants me to pay $150+ to have my system serviced. This is unacceptable.

I want Sony to realize that their firmware is causing this to happen to thousands of their consumers. I want them to agree to service my system and restore it to the way it was before I was forced to download that fatal firmware update. I want them to do it because it is the right thing to do. I don't want to pay $150 to fix a system that, before the alleged firmware download, was working perfectly. I want them to fix all the consoles that they have broken with this latest update. Sony technically, through the Internet, came into my home and broke my ps3, and now they need to fix it.

My BBB complaint number is 575153644.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/02/2009 12:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/scea-sony/foster-city-california-94404/scea-sony-sony-computer-entertainment-of-america-ps3-firmware-30-301-renders-system-518514. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content