Complaint Review: SMC - Specialty Merchandise Corporation

• Reported By: Aurora Colorado
  • SMC - Specialty Merchandise Corporation
    13230 San Bernardino Avenue
    Fontana, California

SMC - Specialty Merchandise Corporation, Reduced 30-day refunded amount because of inappropriate disclosure of merchandise sales, which were presented as being FREE Fontana California

I purchased an SMC membership thinking it would be a great way to get some extra income. Although, once I started looking over their merchandise, I did not feel like the quality of there products was up to par, i.e. they were not products I would want to sell to my family.

So, I called in to cancel my membership. In talking with the representative, she convinced me to hold off cancelling until I received my membership kit and until I talked to a coach. She also indicated that she would give me some free merchandise in order to help me get my business started. What she failed to CLEARLY (apparantly she did and I just didn't understand) tell me was that the merchandise was not really free. She was essentially taking money from my membership fee that I had paid. Fifty dollars to be exact.

As I mentioned I got the supposedly FREE merchandise, and it just further proved to me that I did not want to be selling these poor quality products. So, again I called up SMC to cancel, the representative indicated that before I cancel I should use up my FREE $100 credit on my account, and that I could also return my membership kit by simply doing a "Return to Sender" and made no indication that I would be charged for this even though I did ask. Turns out that the FREE $100 would have once again been deducted from my membership fee that I had paid, and also since I went through with the "Return to Sender", SMC charged me $15 return fee. If I had known this ahead of time, I would paid for shipping myself as it would have been significantly cheaper.

So, in the end I will be out $80 ($15 for initial membership shipment, $50 for supposedly FREE merchandise, and another $15 for returning the membership kit) from my initial $264.95 membership fee. I was aware of the $15 initial membership shipment not being refunded, but I am very upset about being SCAMMED out of the additional $65.

Rene
Aurora, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/08/2009 12:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/smc-specialty-merchandise-corporation/fontana-california-92335/smc-specialty-merchandise-corporation-reduced-30-day-refunded-amount-because-of-inappro-459688. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content