Complaint Review: Spirit Air

• Reported By: JCvP — New Haven Connecticut United States of America
  • Spirit Air

Internet
    United States of America

Spirit Air Spirit Airlines Charged my credit card without permission or notification Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: That Clarifies Things

*Author of original report: Response to rebuttal

*Consumer Suggestion: Inadequate ROR

In July 2009 I joined the $9 Club of Spirit Air. A year later, one week ago, with no notification, my credit card was charged for $39.95. As soon as I saw the charge on my card, one week after the charge, I immediately cancelled, and was informed that there is no refund. Clearly this is a scheme to victimize people since I received email from Spirit Air several times per week and it would have been simple for them to notify me they were about to charge my credit card and give me a chance to cancel.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2010 02:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/spirit-air/internet/spirit-air-spirit-airlines-charged-my-credit-card-without-permission-or-notification-inte-622794. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

That Clarifies Things

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Thanks for the clarification. Your response explains the $39.95. Fortunately I have no association with Spirit nor after reading numerous complaints do I have any intention of flying with them. I just wondered why you were compaining. Now I know.

Response to rebuttal

AUTHOR: JCvP - (United States of America)

Q. Why was your credit card charged?
A. To pay for the renewal of a year's membership in this airline discount club run by Spirit Airlines. They provided no advance notice, no way to cancel the charge, and when I immediately cancelled the membership they dropped me immediately from the discount program and refused to refund any part of the charge.
Q. Did you buy a ticket somewhere?
A. No.
Q. What is your complaint?
A. I should have been notified in advance of the charge and given a chance to decide whether to renew or not. Once I cancelled the membership, within a few days of the renewal, I should have received a refund.
Q. What does the $39.95 have to do with the $9 Club whatever that is?
A. The Spirit Airlines $9 Club supposedly offers discounts, though highly restricted and essentially useless. The cost for a one-year membership is $39.95.
Q. Given the intemperate tone, was this rebuttal filed by someone with a business relationship to Spirit Airlines?
A. Could be.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Inadequate ROR

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Why was your credit card charged? Did you buy a ticket somewhere? What is your complaint? This is a totally inadequate report that tells the reader nothing. What does the $39.95 have to do with the $9 Club whatever that is?  You might try redoing this complaint so that it makes sense.