Complaint Review:

• Updated: Mon, December 09, 2013

• Reported By: Destinee_Angel_Lovee — Denver Colorado
Sprint Wireless
6360 Sprint Parkway MailStop: KSOPHE0202-2C660 Overland Park, Kansas USA

Sprint Wireless Fraud Dept, Customer Care Dept, Collections Dept, Sales Dept Fraudulent Identity Theft Irresponsible illegal money making Overland Park Kansas

*UPDATE Employee: This is How it Goes

*Consumer Comment: Sorry

*Consumer Comment: What was in the purse?

*Consumer Comment: comment

I just recently tried to get phone services with Sprint wiresless due the fact of the problems and the nature of the problems i have with my current cell phone provider, AT&T.

Come to fins out when i applied for the services i had the option to pick up the devices in store as i did. Upon getting to the store and looking around and selecting the devices it was time to open the account and select the devices i wanted. Well after being down there for a few hours and waiting for the sales Rep to do his part he had wrote dowen a number on a yellow sticky note which was later on known as the fraud department. I asked him what was going on and he had said that there previously had been an account opened in my name a few years earlier. I have been with ATT for a few years so i knew there had to be some kind of mistake and didn't occur to me what had happened until i asked if they could run it under my husbands name for now till i contact the actual Fraud Dept and get this resolved. So they ran it in my husband's name and again the same thing so again wrote the number down for the fraud dept. I was good and pissed cause how in the world can two people now have an account with Sprint all of a sudden. not to mention why were'nt we notified about this fraudulent activity? Prior to this happening a few years ago my purse was stolen out of our car while going into a store. The actual car was locked but someone had broken out our window to get to my purse. Everything in that purse was my driver;s license, my husband's driver's license, both our social security cards, bank account information, debit cards, and credit cards. Everything was in that purse. Our whole life. Anyways when i called the fraud dept and disputed this and proved it to be a case of indentity theft none the less they said we were responsible for the accounts and had to pay them. I do not think that is fair. I am not gonna pay for something i did not do or obtain. even though i spoke to the fraud dept and explained these circumstances to them they are not cooperating with me and weanted to know if anyone out there has any ideas in what we can do? This is just totally unfair and the way they are treating us is totally unfiar especially because we are the vitims here. We did nothing wrong! Someone Illegally use our information to obtain services through Sprint and Sprint failed to do their job and verify the proper information they should have in preventing this from happening. had they done just that this would of never happened. But the way i see it and they way i feel is that all Sprint cares about is making money they careless if the person is the actual person getting the account. If they actually asked the right questions this would of prevented all of this from happening. Even if they got our Id's" socials security cards, Not to mention all my children's social security cards etc, there are certain questions only the actual person would know. I think they could work a lot harder in preventing things like this happening to us, and future customers so they do not have to go through all this. Being embarrassed in the stores in excruciating especially for something that could have very well been prevented. They should also keep everyone's situation on a down low so they don't cause that person to be humiliated in front of thousands of other customer's and associates. This is a very unfortunate situation and they refuse to take care of it and get it off of there down at Sprint. I need someone's feedback that has been in the same situation or a very similar situation. Please let me know if you can help me i would forever be so greatful and firtunate on anyone's help!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2013 09:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/sprint-wireless/overland-park-kansas-66251-4300/sprint-wireless-fraud-dept-customer-care-dept-collections-dept-sales-dept-fraudulent-i-1105739. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sprint Wireless

This is How it Goes

AUTHOR: lizbanks - (USA)

As an employee with Sprint, I want to apologize for what happened to you. But there is some information I want to share with you... you should NEVER walk around with all of that information with you. This information could not have only been used to create a cellular account, it could have also been used to apply for ANYTHING. Hopefully this is the only damage that was done.

When you applied for service, the same questions you were asked (the info on your id, followed by contact info and your social) are the SAME questions that the person who created the fraudulent account were asked. There are questions that a cellular service (I used to also work for Verizon Wireless) will ask you to verify your identity, but ONLY IF you have reported to the credit bureau that your identity has been stolen or you have a lot of negative marks on your credit. Those questions would be things like the name of the mortgage company you have, or how much your monthly car payment is (things that we would be able to see on your credit report). The rep could've contacted someone while you were there for you and told you what you could do, but giving you the number to call yourself wasn't the wrong thing to do, especially since you said it was extremely busy. If there were no indications of fraud when the person was creating this fake account, then the account was justifiably created by Sprint, and they did  their job. At the end of the day, it isn't just about making money (employees like me can lose thousands of dollars for knowingly creating a fraud account, and Sprint loses money off those devices because they sold them to someone at a discounted price in exchange for their service which this person probably never used, so they did not profit from this fraudulent transaction, believe me).

The way that an account is disconnected by someone committing fraud, believe it or not, is almost identical to the way someone who doesn't have a fraudlent account would disconnect. Either they'd call customer service to disconnect it or visit a corporate store (which they couldn't have done unless they had your ID and they looked just like you), or they would not pay on the bill, and financial services would disconnect the account for nonpayment (which is something that a fed up customer that could not afford the bill would do), and then these criminals would have phones to sell. Lastly, they could have bought these phones to simply rack up the bill with data and international calls (this practice isn't done mych since crooks have realized they can make money by selling the phones). Sprint does its best in person (I work in a store) to prevent fraud by doing things like implementing ID scans to make sure it's not a fake and requiring that customers port out existing numbers for large accounts or that they buy accessories, but we have to make it easier for our customers who don't live near a store and allow them to create accounts over the phone. And that person had everything they needed to do so. Additionally, Sprint wouldn't have been able to contact you about this account, because they never spoke to you, which means they never had contact info for you either.

After about 7 years we are able to approve you for service again, but if Sprint cannot prove that it is fraud, then it is your responsibility to do so by contacting the credit bureau. It's just like if the person was to use your credit card and rack up charges: if you don't let your bank know your card was stolen, they are going to have a very hard time proving that it wasn't you who used it.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you but if you can keep your social security card at home and just remember the numbers, you'll definitely be protecting yourself against fraud in the future. Best of luck to you.

Sorry

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

Made a typo because I have the flu so sorry

What was in the purse?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

The Crook hit the "Identity Theft" jackpot with your purse.   Just from your comments you had Your Drivers License, which is understandable.  But why would you then have your Husbands DL, and your entire familys Social Security Cards?  There is ZERO reason that those need to leave your house on a daily basis.  You also said "bank information" so what was that is that your checks or something else?  As much as you don't want to hear it, your actions is the primary reason you are in the situation you are now.  Quite frankly I wouldn't be shocked if you said you had a few $100 bills sticking out of it and left it in plain sight on the front seat.   Heck a flashing neon sign couldn't have worked any better.

I'm really just wondering if everything was in your purse..what did your husband have and how did you intend to pay for anything when you got into the store?

Not to be so rough on you but..geees...where in the heck was your common sense?

But now onto the situation.  Unfortunatly there is really nothing you can do at this point other than try to "repair" the damage and see if you can get them to waive any of the old bills.  However, depending on the age of these accounts you may also just be able to walk away and not worry about it. If it is past the Legal Statute of Limitations they can take no action to require you to pay, the only reason you would have to pay in this case is if you wanted service with them and that is a condition of service.  If it is more than 7 years they can no longer legally put it on your credit report(which if it isn't on there by now it probably will never be).

It sounds like it has been a while but if you haven't already done so you should make sure there are no other surprises.  This means that you need to get your credit reports and review them for any errors.  Any error you notice dispute it.  If you still have a copy of the police report(and perhaps even make a new one for this case).  You can then get a free Fraud alert on your reports which will make it next to impossible for someone to open an account without you knowing.

Now back to the bad.  You also have some more lapses in common sense and a severe case of exageration, which makes one wonder what the rest of the story is.

- Well the way you "feel" is wrong.  They had everything(and actually more than enough) to be able to fake your identity with just about any creditor out there.  I really wonder what "questions" you think they should have asked.  Perhaps the name of your first pet?  How about the name of the street you grew up on?  Yea..okay so let me ask you this.  Just how would Sprint know what the real answer is?

- Thousands?   Yea I guess you were in the worlds biggest Sprint Store and right after they wrote down the fraud number on a yellow sticky they made an announcement over the PA pointing you out and saying you had deliquent accounts.  I guess you then had to do the "walk of shame" from the register to the door with everyone throwing rotten tomatoes at you..yea I bet that is exactly what happened.  No...more likely all of the "humilliation" was in your head and if any customer even saw anything, if you asked them 30 seconds after they left the store they would probably have no idea who you are.

Good Luck and if all that happened was this account being opened you were VERY lucky.

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

Besides you lack of grammar and proper sentence structure all I can make out is that your identity was stolen and you are blaming Sprint because someone opened phones in your name.  It is your responsibility to notify all credit agencies when your identity is stolen.  If you had done that then this may never have happened and NO I do not work for Sprint.