Complaint Review: Starving Students Movers
Starving Students Movers SS Movers, SS College Movers, Starving Students College Movers NEVER USE, SCAM, HORRIBLE, UNEDUCATED EMPLOYEES, HEINOUS, DESTRUCTIVE Los Angeles, California
*Consumer Suggestion: there is recourse...
1. Two strong, professional men would be sent;
2. A moving truck large enough to accommodate a 4 bedroom, 2000 square foot home would be provided;
3. Furniture pads would be provided free of cost to ensure protection of my large pieces of furniture;
4. The rate would be $84.99/hour, with a 2-hour minimum, plus 22% added to the total;
5. Driving time in Los Angeles is doubled (i.e., if it takes fifteen minutes to drive from location to location, the amount of time would total thirty minutes);
6. A guarantee that no additional or hidden charges would be incurred in the price; and
7. My possessions would be cared for with the utmost respect.
However, these are not the results we received from Starving Students Movers. Following is a list of our complaints with
regards to the two charges:
1. One man took two fifteen-minute restroom breaks in the middle of the day;
2. The other man constantly kept making inappropriate advances on my girlfriend and making her feel totally uncomfortable and it was completely unprofessional;
3. Neither man brought any water or water bottle to drink from on a sweltering hot day in Los Angeles, to which I spent over $40 for several bottles of water and Gatorade for them for fear that they would collapse otherwise;
4. I opted to hire a third man to help with the unload at the condo but he stopped working 45 minutes before the job was done;
5. One man sat in his truck for over 30 minutes hand-calculating my total while only one man finished the job;
6. The truck did not accommodate all of the property within our apartment, which was only 1,200 square feet and included no large appliances such as a washer/dryer, dishwasher or refrigerator. We had to rent a U-Haul truck the next day in order to finish our move, which included 2 dressers, 10 boxes, 1 vanity, plants, a sofa and a desk with a hutch as well as lamps and a few chairs;
7. Furniture pads were not offered. Instead, I was told by the two men that if I wanted my furniture protected I had to spend $29.99 to buy industrial plastic wrap and have each individual piece of furniture wrapped by them. This added an exorbitant amount of time to the overall move;
8. The rate was calculated at $89.99/hour instead of $84.99/hour which is what I was quoted;
9. In addition to the rate discrepancy and the $29.99 charge for the industrial plastic wrap, I was also charged three additional hidden fees: $18.40 for mattress bags, $3.00 for tape and a PUC fee (of which I am not sure it is) for $5.83;
10. During the unload, boxes that had clearly been labeled FRAGILE, CHINA or CRYSTAL, etc. were turned upside down and very carelessly placed about;
11. Boxes were crushed;
12. Furniture had scrapes and scratches that went right through the industrial saran wrap;
13. Boxes and items were tossed carelessly throughout two rooms and I was told that if I wanted the movers to put the boxes in the rooms as they were labeled, I would be charged additional;
14. Once the truck was fully unloaded, I saw a stack of furniture pads that extended from floor to ceiling that were never utilized for the protection of my furniture;
15. In the end, I was told my balance due was $565.08 but 45 minutes later (when the job was actually complete) was told that the balance was $622.35 because the computer was now working and could accurately calculate the price;
16. The man who gave me my bill couldnt even verbalize a three-digit number, such at six-hundred-twenty-two-dollars-and-thirty-five cents. Instead, he had to say the amount digit-by-digit in order try to explain my balance to me.
I called Starving Students Movers the very next day, August 31st, to complain about the service I was given. I was sent to a voice mail of a woman in claims who has never called me back. That same night I decided to call Discover to question the charge and find what kind of protection I had. Since then, I have tried calling back to Starving Students Movers to get the complaint department on the phone but to no avail. I feel I have been completely taken advantage of and have no form of recourse.
Finally, SSM contacted me to offer me $80 off of my $1,200+ bill. They accepted NO blame and said that everything seemed normal to them. ARE THEY SERIOUS??????
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2013 09:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/starving-students-movers/los-angeles-california-90046/starving-students-movers-ss-movers-ss-college-movers-starving-students-college-movers-ne-991556. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here: