Complaint Review: Thrifty Car Renal

• Thrifty Car Renal

West Palm Beach, Florida
    United States of America

Thrifty Car Renal - Gas and SunPass Rip-Off - West Palm Beach, Florida

I thought I got a great deal when I made a reservation for a mini-van for $209/wk from Thrifty.  My $209 rate quickly turned into $488.

After standing in line for over 20 minutes at the agent counter (only car rental agency with a line at the time), I quickly figured out what was taking so long.  The agent wasted a lot of my time trying to get me to upgrade to a much more expensive SUV, which I told her from the beginning I didn't want to pay more.  Then she proceeded to tell me that if I didn't purchase their 'Pass 24' for $41.99, it would cost me $15.00 each time I went through a toll - which I found out later was a complete lie.

But, the real kicker came when we turned the car in at the end of the week.  At the suggestion of the Thrifty agent, my husband and I specifically opted to pay up front for a full tank of gas at the rate of $3.56/gal.  When I saw my final receipt, I was charged $153.29 plus Florida tax for 3/4 of a tank of gas.  I immediately called Thrifty when I got home and was told that because I declined the prepaid fuel option (which I didn't), I was to be charged their premium amount of $9.29/gal +tax.  They said they couldn't go back and undo the charge, but they would send me some coupons to use for my next rental.  Like I would rent from them again!

I wish I would have thoroughly gone through the the printed rental agreement before I left the counter.  But, unfortunately, I trusted that the agent got things right.  Plus, I felt bad for all the angry people waiting in line behind me.

In all my years of traveling and renting cars, I have never had a rental company not try to make things right.  Their philosophy was 'too bad.'  That's really great customer service Thrifty!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2013 01:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/thrifty-car-renal/west-palm-beach-florida-33406/thrifty-car-renal-gas-and-sunpass-rip-off-west-palm-beach-florida-996722. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content