Report: #182469

Complaint Review: Trugenix

  • Submitted: Tue, March 21, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, March 24, 2006
  • Reported By: san diego California
  • Trugenix
    857 W. So Jordan Parkway 201
    South Jordan, Utah

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

I ordered a free bottle of Hoodia from Trugenix and I agreed to a 3.95 shipping charge - nothing more. my account was charged 46.90 today and they claim that I agreed to a monthly charge. I never ever agreed to this and I did not authorize this. I filed a claim with my bank and I filed a report with the Utah Better Business Bureau. I also cancelled my credit/debit card the minute i found out about this charge. This company is dishonest and they are running a total scam. From what I have read and heard, they need to be put out of business. They refused to return my money and the woman I spoke to was extremely rude. I am resigned myself to the fact that I will probably not get my money back, but is there anything else I can do? It is such a terrible, powerless feeling when you have been ripped off and there is nothing you can do. It infuriates me that these people can continue to get away with this. What about contacting the fraud division the of the police dept (I dont think So. Jordan, UT would actually have a very large police dept)..or even the FBI?

san diego, California

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!


Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!


Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.


If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder, Rip-off & Author of

Don't let them get away with it.
Make sure they make the Rip-off Report!

We are not lawyers.
We are not a collection agency.

We are Consumer Advocates.
...the victims' advocate

WE are Civil and Human Rights Activists

We are a Worldwide Consumer Reporting News Agency consumers, for consumers

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2006 02:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
Also a victim?
Repair Your Reputation!

Updates & Rebuttals


#1 Author of original report

Tru Genix, Ultralife, etc. Domain Registration

AUTHOR: Mindy - (U.S.A.)

I researched all the domain info regarding these fraudulent companies and I posted it to my personal site:

My next step is to file a complain with the Consumer Protection Division in Utah.

CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Respond to this report!

#2 Author of original report

another update

AUTHOR: Mindy - (U.S.A.)

I cannot believe this - even after i cancelled my debit card, they managed to debit my account another 28.97 - this time they used the compnay name Ecurves - same address, same phone. Filed another claim with my bank to get my money back. I called them and some liar gave me a bogus website and a bogus log in ID and told me to cancel - cancel what? anyway, they tried to debit my account a 3rd time and were unable to do so. I filed a complaint with the FBI internet crimes division - complaint ID I0603241447299681. I emailed the details of the story to CNN, Dateline, 20/20, Primetime, 60 Minutes and Fox News (referred them all to this website). I will not give up until these people are not only out of business, but in prison.
Respond to this report!

#3 Author of original report


AUTHOR: Mindy - (U.S.A.)

my case number with the SO. Jordan Police Dept is #06f003466. I encourage anyone and everyone who has had problems with these scam artists to call the police and file a report. They may not be able to help you get your money back, but they can help put them out of business and in jail, where they belong.
Respond to this report!

#4 Author of original report


AUTHOR: Mindy - (U.S.A.)

I filed a report with the Utah Better Business Bureau, case #22024501. I also filed a report with the South Jordan Police Dept. - I was not expecting much, but to my surprise, these folks knew exactly who and what I was talking about and they were very nice and helpful. I am expecting a call back from them soon. I will also be filing with the FBI Internet Fraud Division.

I will keep updating this as I go along. Although I only lost 46.90, I am furious that these people can keep getting away with this. I am going to do what I can to put them out of business. I would also like to see them thrown in jail. I will not give up.
Respond to this report!
Ripoff Report Recommends
ZipBooks Accounting Software

Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.