Complaint Review:

Ripoff Report | Ultimate Medical Academy Recommended Verified TRUSTED Business | Ripoff Report Verified™ …businesses you can trust. Ultimate Medical Academy trains students for careers in healthcare that make a difference in their lives. Ultimate Medical Academy, founded in 1994, as a nonprofit school, headquartered in Tampa with an additional campus in Clearwater. Ultimate Medical Academy offers programs on campus and online.

• Submitted: Tue, November 11, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, March 08, 2017

• Reported By:Land O Lakes Florida
Court St Clearwater, Florida United States of America

Ultimate Medical Academy Verified TRUSTED Business REVIEW: UMA’s senior administrators expect every employee to listen carefully to any student concerns. Student support is part of UMA’s core mission.
*UPDATE: Ultimate Medical Academy pledges commitment to always improving operations by joining Ripoff Report's Corporate Advocacy Program, Ultimate Medical Academy recognized by Ripoff Report Verified™ as a safe business service.

Ripoff Report Verified™ REVIEW

EDitor's UPDATE: Positive rating and recognition has been given to Ultimate Medical Academy for its full commitment to quality customer service.

Ripoff Report's discussions with Ultimate Medical Academy have uncovered an ongoing dedication by the company to total client satisfaction. This means that clients can expect that the company will work towards finding a mutually satisfactory resolution to any concerns. Ultimate Medical Academy listens carefully to client concerns and sees them as an opportunity to learn from past mistakes and become more efficient as a company in the services offered and the support for those services.

UMA’s senior administrators expect every employee to listen carefully to any student concerns. UMA has successfully trained thousands of students for careers in the allied health field and its staff are prompt in responding to inquiries. [continued below]....
..... They are readily available for specific needs or questions that come up. UMA’s mission is to be a dynamic career school committed to empowering students to excel in the healthcare field. UMA strives to provide an educational experience that maximizes value to its students in a professional, supportive and ethical environment.

The students of UMA are the foundation of the school’s reputation. UMA realizes that without successful students, it would not be well-respected among students, alumni and employers. UMA works hard to develop a sense of community among its students so that students feel a sense of social pride and contribute back to the communities they live in. To lead this initiative, UMA staff support many nonprofit initiatives, including Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society, All-Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, and CASA (Community Action Stops Abuse), to name just a few.

Ultimate Medical Academy is Ripoff Report Verified

The information provided in this report below is based on comments made by Dan Soschin during an onsite inspection held by a third party verification company with no biases towards Ultimate Medical Academy.

Ultimate Medical Academy is a career-focused school that specializes in educating and supporting students who plan on pursuing careers in allied health. Through this program not only are they provided with the tools needed to succeed, but are provided assistance in field placement within their specialty. Dan Soschin stated the following about his company, "we're a very support intensive school. We work with our students on an individual basis to help them overcome academic obstacles or anything else that's impeding their success academically or in life."

Leads for Ultimate Medical Academy are obtained through various forms of marketing. Primarily leads are obtained through students who express interest in their school through their website. Once a potential student has expressed interest in their school Ultimate Medical Academy will reach out to them and go through an interview process through an admissions team. This process with asses if their program fits the student's interest, needs, and aspirations.

CUSTOMER CARE & COMPLAINT RESOLUTION – ULTIMATE MEDICAL ACADEMY

During the on-site interview, Mr. Soschin was asked to describe a situation where a client was not satisfied with the level of service they received. Mr. Soschin stated, "The bottom line is we're a fairly large school. We have nearly 14,000 students and 40,000 alumni and obviously even more than that expressed interest in enrolling. So we're talking with 1,000s of people...so there's a number of different challenges a student could have." These issues can range from not understanding student loans, difficulties with technology, or receive poor feedback from a professor. In order to effectively handle this wide range of complaints, Ultimate Medical Academy has extensive processes for resolving issues. They have a student hotline that is made available to every student that is used to facilitate questions and concerns. Additionally, each student has a Learner Service Advisor who's goal is to help each individual student navigate the world of on-line learning. Mr. Soschin further stated, "In the world of education and financial aid and career service there's a lot of complexities so we're just here to help the student."

Ultimate Medical Academy has a wonderful reputation within the on-line learning community. This is largely due to their willingness to go above and beyond for their students. Mr. Soschin proceeded to give an example of this, "we have a number of students who are interviewing for new jobs. They can't always get to the interview because they don't have the right transportation...what we do is we have a national Uber corporate account and we'll just cover the cost of an Uber to and from the job interview." Additionally, if a student doesn't have the appropriate attire for a job interview Ultimate Medical Academy will send them appropriate apparel free of charge.

Ultimate Medical Academy is proud to be a part of Ripoff Reports Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program, "It just gives us an opportunity to continue helping students who have concerns. Helping address those concerns. Sometimes they don't know who to turn to so they turn to [Ripoff Report] and they alert us. That just gives us an opportunity to engage."

ULTIMATE MEDICAL ACADEMY – STATEMENT FROM THE PRESIDENT – DEREK APANOVITCH

" At UMA, we are committed to helping our students achieve success. When you enroll here, you don’t just receive career training via interactive online coursework or hands-on training at our Florida campuses—you also receive support from UMA at every step throughout your academic journey.

Our goal is to create a supportive environment where our students feel empowered to achieve their aspirations and goals. Once you become a UMA student, you will have access to our student services including financial aid assistance, academic help and tutoring, guidance resources and support for life situations, career services and so much more. Then when you graduate, you will become a part of our 40,000+ member Alumni Association and receive access to job search assistance and to our professional networking platform for alumni, among other benefits.

We are so proud of UMA’s community of learning and everything we have achieved together. We have provided in-depth support to thousands of graduates, and we would love the opportunity to do the same for you.

Ultimate Medical Academy’s team have expressed that they feel very confident doing their job but would be happy to speak with any student to further address an inquiry or concern. Ultimate Medical Academy takes employee satisfaction seriously as well. Employee feedback and surveys reveal comments such as this, "UMA provides me with a wonderful and supportive work environment that truly strives to embody each of it's six values - especially 'having fun and building energy'. Not only do staff genuinely believe in helping students, we have a fun time contributing positively to the workplace and our community."

Ripoff Report was pleased to learn that Ultimate Medical Academy’s past and current approach to business is focused on its pledge to total commitment towards client and employee satisfaction..

STATED IMPROVEMENTS FROM ULTIMATE MEDICAL ACADEMY

Ultimate Medical Academy recognizes that complaints posted on Ripoff Report (whether true or not) are issues that need to be addressed, not ignored. If handled correctly, complaints can be valuable learning opportunities. With the feedback generated by Ripoff Report's review, Ultimate Medical Academy has made organizational changes allowing its clients and employees a more streamlined approach to problem resolution and a commitment to a great client experience.

In summary, after our review, which included discussions with Derek Apanovitch, Ripoff Report is convinced that Ultimate Medical Academy is committed to quality delivery of services resulting in total client satisfaction.

How does a business get Ripoff Report Verified™

The member business allows Ripoff report to email everyone from the past. Those who respond to Ripoff report with a valid complaint must be take care of. They have made a commitment that if anyone contacts Ripoff Report in the future, they will make things right within 14 days. The member business must err on the side of their customers. Otherwise the member business is off the program.

Ripoff Report has determined that Ultimate Medical Academy meets Ripoff Report Verified™ standards which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. Members of the Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction program do pay a fee for our on-site review, 24-hour monitoring and for support with customers to resolve any disagreements.

Ripoff Report sends a 3rd party service to do an onsite inspection of the new member business. The on-site inspection / review does not mean that the products or services offered by the business have been evaluated or endorsed by Ripoff Report, and has not made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services. We can verify, that Ripoff Report went to the business, verified their business or “work from home business”, there for, if a customer in the future does not get treated correctly, Ripoff Report can get the problem resolved. If not, and the customers is right, the member business will be taken off the Corporate Advocacy Program. Remember, Ripoff Report emailed every customer from the past that filed a complaint to make sure the member business made things right with customers from the past. Again, to err on the side of their customer, those from the past and those in the future.

Read about Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program, a program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. This program works.

As a matter of policy, when a business becomes a member of the Corporate Advocacy Program they agree to allow Ripoff Report to contact every client who filed a complaint so they can make things right with them. To confirm that the complaints were resolved, Ripoff Report is copied on all responses so we can insure that the member business did right by their customer.

NOW TO THE ORIGINAL REPORT THAT WAS FILED

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimate Medical Academy - UMA Clearwater Florida

These people are so misleading and will say anything to get you to attend. If you go here, please do not try to change your class.

To start, the advisers at UMA told me and SEVERAL other students that they would help with job placement. They don't. After your externship, you're on your own. Also, they were incredibly misleading about what is contained in the program and the amount of money students would be earning.

I was tricked into signing up for the Patient Care Technician program on the belief that it really involved giving medical care to the patient and would be beneficial to me for my future career. They told me that the Medical Clinical Lab Assistant program only involved sitting in the back of an office doing lab work and not working with patients. I was told that the PCT program was everything I wanted and more, and MCLA wasn't the program for me.

The PCT program is the exact same classroom material for MCLA except PCT gets a CNA class at the end. I was in a class with about 20 other students enrolled in the MCLA program.

After seeing what they did, I saw that MCLA was much more than working in the back in a lab. I did some outside research and found they gave me a completely untrue story to get me to sign up for the PCT program.

But why does this matter, you ask? The PCT program was $2,000 more than the MCLA program.

So after finding this out, which only took a few weeks after I started (back in May), I decide to switch. I'm almost finished with my externship, and they still don't have it straightened out. They're billing me for outrageous amounts and harrassing me. The campus president promised it would be fixed and it isn't. I've been down in peoples offices every weekday for 5 months now. Why is it so difficult? Is it really so painful to refund $2,000?

Now I won't be receiving my certificate of completion because they insist that I'm not up to date on my payments. Why am I not up to date? The head of financial aid told me to stop making payments because the difference in cost of the programs would wipe out the balance I owed to the school (of $800).

Going back to the completely misleading point.. They told my friend that was originally an x-ray student that businesses start hiring at $16 an hour in our area for the position. Come to find out, it's only $12. Same thing happened to all of us in MCLA/PCT. They promised $14+ an hour.. Now we find it's only about $10.50.

So, I learned the lesson to not trust advisers that work for the school and do my own outside research. I went in wanting to just take a simple CNA class, and they managed to talk me up from a $1,000 class to a $13,000 class. I was duped into believing they actually knew what they were talking about, and now I'm screwed.

If you go to UMA, be sure to RESEARCH the positions before you sign up. Don't trust the advisers at the Clearwater campus.

In my class alone, EVERY student was completely misinformed on job information, description, and income. Of course I know that these are different with each company, but they were way out of the ballpark. They could give a generalization when you sign up.. such as "Incomes vary greatly. You could be making $10.50-$14.00 depending on where you work and what you're doing." Or even down to the tasks.. "Well some companies will require you to work in a lab, while others allow you to work one on one with the patient doing (insert good stuff here)."

I'm not really complaining about getting screwed, just trying to warn other people. Also, if they tell you not to make payments.. just keep making them because now I'm not even going to get my certificate saying I completed the course.

Missa Land O Lakes, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/11/2008 09:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ultimate-medical-academy-recommended-verified-trusted-business-ripoff-report-verified-businesses-you-can-trust-ultimate-medical-academy-trains-students-for-careers-in-healthcare-that-make-a-difference-in-their-lives-ultimate-medical-academy-founded-in-1994-as-a-nonprofit-school-headquartered-in-tampa-with-an-additional-campus-in-clearwater-ultimate-medical-academy-offers-programs-on-campus-and-online/clearwater-florida/ultimate-medical-academy-uma-clearwater-florida-390031. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ultimate Medical Academy Recommended Verified TRUSTED Business | Ripoff Report Verified™ …businesses you can trust. Ultimate Medical Academy trains students for careers in healthcare that make a difference in their lives. Ultimate Medical Academy, founded in 1994, as a nonprofit school, headquartered in Tampa with an additional campus in Clearwater. Ultimate Medical Academy offers programs on campus and online.

#1 General Comment

can't believe some of the stuff i see hear

AUTHOR: no time for mess1 - (United States of America)

well to the employee to the school, i am not suprised by what you say, you work there, even if i did i would tell the truth. it just works better. i am thinking about going to this school, i have done the application, but still not sure if i really want to go there. i have been to school before, and most are like your school but you just have to have a shovel handy to keep up with what you hear. i believe you said to much as if you have lost your mind.  you went on and on about people and their personal lives which has nothing to do with you. you have no clue why these people are not in "regular college" sometimes you need to be in school for what job you want, not other stuff. the schools need to change. sometimes things in your life are not your doing remember that. and sometimes they happen to be your fault but it is how you deal with it. listen i have done both i have gone to regular college, and i have done vocational college both were no help, i am not working in either field.

well look at most people who have gone to school, they are not working in their fields, that is the way of life now. but lets just make sure we all know that the advisors say so much and promise so much when we know most of it is not true, i have heard it before. and yes the school is too high and expensive, i will not waste any more money on school and not be working in my field. so the best advise to anyone wanting to go to school please look around and find your fit.

I agree

AUTHOR: L_2005 - (United States of America)

I attened classes online there for medical billing and coding. I too was informed that the pay rate in my area was 16.00 an hour and after a few years of experience in the field I would make 23.00-25.00 dollars per hour. Which I know is not true! They also told me several times that they have a department there that finds you a job a few weeks before you complete your course. I was told that someone from that department would contact me the first few days of attening the classes. Well it's been 4 1/2 months and NEVER once have I been contacted by anyone from that so called department. I have asked about it several times and all they say is "Really? I'm not sure why they haven't contacted you yet. That's odd they are usually pretty good at contacting every student. Let me put a note in for them to contact you." Still to this day I havent had any contact with anyone from that department. I've asked other classmates if they have, and every one of them has informed me that they haven't been contacted either and has questioned it but felt as if they was getting the run around. Basicly I think they don't even have a department that does job placements or anything of the kind.
  So I agree, they do a lot of missleading and flat out lying to students and will say anything to get them to attend their school.

Response

AUTHOR: Alias - (U.S.A.)

First and foremost, let me clear the air w/ "Missa" on the PCT/MCLA programs. PCT is actually cheaper than the Medical Asst course - the Medical Asst course is $14,650 and the PCT course is $14,150. So the idea that you believe an admissions rep would try to "sell" you on the more expensive program is false. Secondly, if you were to come into any UMA school asking for nursing asst (b/c somehow you falsely believe that this is the golden paved road to the "nursing" field), I would tell you the course is only 5 weeks and there is no finanicial aid for this program (that's the gov't, not the school's doing) so start shelling out $1300 dollars and by the way, no one hires Nursing Assistants unless they're certified, so be prepared to take the $140 test afterwards and then once you are a CNA, you can look forward to working for NURSING HOMES for $9 an hour. Who wants that??? When yes, it takes more time and money to be a PCT than a Nursing Asst, but the students learn SO much more, earn more, and then can work for hospitals. And fyi - the gov't offers financial aid for PCT program.

Now, for those naysayers who think UMA (which I work for the one in TAMPA, by the way) is just the worst school ever, let's look at what the admissions reps and student services employees deal with. Perhaps, then, you can understand that we do SO much more for our students than any public community college or most private trade schools. I come in contact with students who want the world - meaning, they want short programs, completely free, and they want us to then put them into a career and guarantee them that they will be successful. Yet these same students (most of them but they're are a few exceptions) couldn't handle the rigors of a traditional school with 2 years of math and English and foreign languages and sitting in a class for hours listening to a professor speak at a podium. Heck, most of these students can barely pass a GED test. These same students also don't work, have children, have FELONIES, and have a myriad of lame excuses that stop them from being successful in life (my car broke down, it's too hot outside, my baby's mama keyed my car, etc etc). And yet they want it ALL. Even students who are college educated and working FT jobs seem to believe that becuase we offer an inch of services, they should be able to stretch it into a mile.

I wake up every day knowing that some of these students need a swift kick in the a*s to get going, tough love, if you will, and I am here to deliver it. In fact, I may be the only person in this student's life who cares enough to tell them that they are ridiculous if they want the Nursing Asst program to create a better life for them and their kids (b/c they wont - its pays too little) or that they better get it together and realize that college or higher education is NOT free and if you want a handout, you will never get far in life. And I don't care whose cousin/sister/auntie/neighbor told you that there is SO much help out there for single mothers who are not working - that doesnt mean schooling is going to be handed to you on a silver platter.

UMA offers job placement, we can offer leaves of absence if needed, and we only have a 4 day school week, with class times that can fit into almost every schedule. We have smaller classes than most and our teachers care about their students' success. So please save all the whining b/c you cannot take the skills we gave you and turn yourself into a positive aspect of the comuunity. Please talk to the 100s of our graduates that have.

#4

Complaints

AUTHOR: Gingers39 - (USA)

I have actually been talking with admissions in Tampa for a couple of days now and I have done research on several schools in the area, as well as online schools.

The bottom line is that no matter what school you are looking, there's always going to be someone that is not satisfied and there's always going to be someone that likes to complain when they don't get their way.  That goes for every school, not just UMA.

You think UMA is bad, you should see the list of complaints for Stratford Career Institute.  They offer a GED course, but when you get through it, your diploma is no good.

There's a lot of schools out there right now, competing for us to attend, so some will do and say anything to get us there.  You have to know the right questions to ask them and research every little detail.   They must of done a lot of tricking for you to take a class that you didn't want, to begin with.   Maybe you just aren't good at saying "NO"...

They never told me that they have a job placement program, they told me that they would assist me with my resume and interviews.  There are some that do offer career placement, but you have to pay extra for that.

But I believe that this is something that should be taken seriously by all..do your homework/research on the school or schools you are interested in and know what questions to ask, such as do they have career placement or for a particular class, if you get into it and you don't like it, do you have the option to switch classes?  This is a big step and should take a lot of research before you sign on the dotted line.

Also not every admissions counselor you speak to is going to be the same, I just happen to get one that's been honest and up front with me about everything and has an open door for me any time I need anything.

#5

Don't Be Fooled

AUTHOR: Wil - (USA)

Let me just correct a bit of misinformation fed by the lady who is the employee from the school. This is exactly the kind of used-car-salesmen speak that gives vocational schools such a bad name.

She claims the reason they charge $14,000 grand for their PCT course is because a PCT is so much better than a CNA. A word of warning to the unsuspecting - in most cases a PCT just getting out of a tech school with that $14,000 debt is going to wind up working in a nursing home for $9 an hour as a CNA. In MOST cases hospitals will NOT HIRE without experience, it doesn't matter what your diploma or certificate says. And in the eyes of employers, a PCT without experience is just someone without experience who they WILL NOT hire.

You do NOT need to take out a $14,000 loan to become a PCT. You can work for a year as a CNA, apply to hospitals, and THEY will PROVIDe you with the necessary on-the-job training. Please, please, don't be suckered into the kind of lies these tech schools tell you in order to get your money.

Update!

AUTHOR: Missa - (U.S.A.)

I have been drug even further into the abyss of lies and ripoffs by this company. They are sending me bills for over $20,000! This is INSANE since my course was only around $11,000 (that's still WAY overpriced but comparing it to $20,000 doesn't sound like so much).

They apparently don't care if you finish or not before sending you your certificate. I remained in Florida for 4 months after finishing this searching for a job. I had to move because I couldn't get one. My supervisor for my externship refused to sign my evaluation forms and I was so fed up I didn't bother going back to the school. Ever. I didn't even call to say "Hey, I finished."

I also stopped making payments to them because they just seem to keep adding onto my bill. I owe Wachovia crazy amounts of money for my student loans. Those I will pay, but not a cent more to that crazy school.

If they do send a collections agency after me, the charges WILL be disputed.

If I could have found this website and some reviews about this place I never would have attended. Please take warning. This is not just one angry student complaining because things didn't go my way. This was going on with most of the students in my class (and others) and even students at the Tampa classes. PLEASE look into another school. This one is a true RIP OFF and they will try to ruin your credit!

There are other schools in the area. Please explore all of your options. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!! This certainly was.

:[