Complaint Review: USBI - OneCallComm

• Reported By: Buffalo New York
  • USBI - OneCallComm
    OneCallComm
    Nationwide

USBI - OneCallComm ripoff GUYANA? DIEGO Garc? huh? 133.97 where the hell are these places? what a joke! pop up ads- massive Bill INTERNET

*Consumer Suggestion: This is the modem dialer con.

*Consumer Suggestion: NEVER Click on pop-up adds

*Consumer Suggestion: you should also run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy

I opened my phone bill today. It had charges on it for calls to GuyanaXX and Diego GarcXX. Not only do i not know where these places are(Except for Guyana), NO CALLS were placed. Their pop up ads have agree or disagree-I DISAGREED each time it popped up.

133.97 in charges - I dont make that in a week. Since when is it legal to be charged for disagreeing to a web offer? I ran an adware scan and cannot get rid of it. It pops up on Microsoft zipzappromos. Not only am I subjected to pop ups, but they have no conscience. They are soliciting my 11 year old daughter! Someone Please help me get this leach out of my system! Spam has been outlawed why do I have to deal with opportunistic and inconsiderate jerks? I am so happy I found this website- I was just about to go off on my hubby for the charges- then realized it was a scam. This report was filed by Michael's Wife. I tried to contact this company and was hung up on 3 times. Not to mention on hold for an hour.

Michael
Buffalo, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/19/2005 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/usbi-onecallcomm/nationwide/usbi-onecallcomm-ripoff-guyana-diego-garc-huh-13397-where-the-hell-are-these-places-128103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

This is the modem dialer con.

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Search for Premier Premium communications to read my other comments.

One comment was correct. No matter what you click on, the download will start. Do nothing and the download will still start. It has a timer. Wait 10 seconds, and it got you!

Forget anti-virus, search and destroy, or spyware nonsense. You need to format to get this out.

I've learned how to handle all this. First, I use a separate computer, just for the internet. No personal information. No important files. Just windows. That's all you need for internet.

When it gets a virus, I don't fool around. I format. Or, rather, I used to format. Now, I do a 30 minute data restore.

I start with a format and a brand new, clean install. Then, I back it up to a separate partition. When a virus happens, I restore and overwrite everything. I end up getting back the exact same thing I started with. The fresh, new install. The virus is gone. All the files are restored to brand new again.

There is one other thing you can try. If you hit the power switch in the very beginning of the virus, it won't get enough downloaded to install. But, you need to catch it in the first 2 or 3 seconds. As soon as you hear the hard drive grinding, hit the switch.

Sometimes, that will prevent the download. But, fool around with boxes, and you'll end up with the dialer on your computer. Every time!

Learn to use a separate computer. And how to do the backup and restore. I use no virus software. About once a week, I get a virus. A quick 30 minute restore gets me right back to good again.

The idiot who made the virus wastes more time than I do just setting up his crooked download. And, it's all for nothing!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

NEVER Click on pop-up adds

AUTHOR: Conan - (U.S.A.)

NEVER click on pop-up ads, even if the have an "Accept" or "Decline" buttons. Usually clicking anywhere in a pop-up ad will have the same result. Even though the ad may appear to have different objects (i.e. buttons, check boxes, etc...), the whole ad is usually just a picture with buttons IN the picture, and the picture has a link attached to it. So, no matter where you click on the ad (empty white space, text, or a PICTURE of a "decline" or "close" button), you have clicked on a link to follow that ad and what ever consequences may ensue.

The best way to close pop-ups is to click the "Close" button (the X in the title bar of the window, top right corner) on Windows machines (sorry MAC's, I'm not familiar enough with MAC's). If for some reason there is not a "Close" button in the top right corner, hold down the [Alt] key and press (and release) the [F4] key. The [Alt] + [F4] key combo will close the active window or program, no matter what it is (document, file, pop-up, web page). If you have a lot of files/programs/web pages open, many successive presses of the [Alt] + [F4] combo will close all of them and bring up your "Shut Down" menu if there are no windows/programs open.

I hope this helps,

#3 Consumer Suggestion

you should also run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy

AUTHOR: Layni - (U.S.A.)

In addition to running an adware removal program, you should also run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy. That program scans your system for dialers and other sinister things that get loaded onto your computer by stealth.