Complaint Review: Verde Valley Medical Center

• Verde Valley Medical Center
    269 S Candy Ln
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    USA

Verde Valley Medical Center Oak Creek Emergency Physicians In-network hospital, out of network doctor, does not work with insurance, ripoff bills Cottonwood Arizona

I took my daughter to the Verde Valley Medical hospital over a year ago because she was very sick. She wasn't actually seen by a doctor but by an NP. He saw her for only a few minutes and then discharged us. Apparently the hospital is in network with my insurance, Cigna, but the doctors, "Oak Creek Emergency Physicians" are out of network. Further, they are not willing to work with insurance. They tried to bill over $500 for the 10 minute visit that wasn't even with the doctor. Cigna paid $200 to them, stating that this was the amount considered "fair" for the service and the city. We already reached our out-of-pocket maximum for both in-network and out-of-network services with Cigna, so Cigna assured me that I owe nothing and should not pay them. Cigna sent me an explanation of benefits showing this. They also told me that they would try to work with the doctor to sort it out, and Cigna would pay more if they needed to, since we reached our max. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Cigna and the OCEP and have made no progress.

However, OCEP refused to take that and continued to bill me. This has gone on for over a year now. I hadn't heard anything for months, so I thought it was resolved, but today I received a threatening letter from a collection agency saying that I still owe $300 and if I don't pay in 30 days, my credit will be hit and they could put liens on my property and sieze other assets.

First of all, it is apparently legal to have an out of network doctor at an in network hospital, but it is completely unethical, and an absolute ripoff. Second, it is quite greedy of Oak Creek Emergency Physicians to try to bill over twice what the insurance says is fair.

I would never go back to this hospital again. Even if I'm dying I would be hesitant to go there due to their shady and immoral billing practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/24/2017 11:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/verde-valley-medical-center/cottonwood-arizona-86326/verde-valley-medical-center-oak-creek-emergency-physicians-in-network-hospital-out-of-ne-1387793. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content