Complaint Review: Vivant Alarm

• Reported By: Janie Osborne — San Diego California USA
  • Vivant Alarm

Orem, Utah
    USA

Vivant Alarm Vivant is trying to collect from 2 parties for the same alarm system Orem Utah

I contracted for a home alarm system in response to a door to door salesman (we had been thinking about it anyway). I signed tons of papers that were blurry.  I did ask the salesman what would happen if I wanted to disconnect services and wrote across the top.. "90 day notice to cancel"  The contract is very tiny and unreadable and very long.... A year later I had to emergently move to San Diego to attend to a dying mother (I can verify this information easily). in December 2015  I didn't even think about notifying Vivant until 3 months later., about early April 2016.

I called the company, told them that I had to move unexpectedly:  their first response was I was STILL FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE EQUIPMENT unless the buyers contracted with Vivant.  I called the buyers, and they had, in fact contracted with Vivant in February, 2016.  The buyers stated that they called Vivant, they came out, changed the code on the existing equipment and they are using it.

When I called back to Vivant to advise them of this, they then told me I was paying for the SERVICE, not the equipment and that I was still responsible for the balance of the contract. I then wrote them a letter stating the above dates and responses asking for a decision mkaer to contact me and that I intented to cease the automatic payments as of October, 2016.

I did not hear back until the collection calls started.  Each time I would breifly state my case and was, without exception, directed to the move department with the first person I spoke to in the move department sating" let's see what we can do to get you out of this contract..... then, when I would talk to them the move department reps would come with different reasons, not refer to the letter I had written until about the 3rd call when thay casually stated that my letter had been reviewed by someone and cancellation was denied.  I find this very unfair. The short answer as to why not was that "you didn't not advise us prior to your move"  With my explanation of an distant move under duress of a dying mother.... calling Vivant was not on the top of my list.

The next call referred to that I had "not released the service," that it was not legal for Vivan to do so.... but, it was discontinued by Vivant when they recoded the system.  I believe that when I sopke to each Vivan rep, by telling them I had sold this house in Alaska and that I was now in California and that I wanted to discontinue services, that I had done what I needed to to clarify that point.  At not time, did anyone tell me otherwise.

Each time, there is another reason that wasn't mentioned in the previous calls.

In short, I paid for services not received from January 2016 thru October 2016 to attempt to resolve this issue and discontinue services.  There reasons changed ech time and did not refer to the others.  I left the equipment and remote controls in perfect condition.  The equipment was assumed by the home buyer.  Vivant took my information off the equipment voluntarily.  I am not receiving servvices nor using equipment left in the house.  The home buyers are paying a monthly fee to Vivan for the use of that same equipment.

Vivant is collecting DOUBLE for equipment and trying to continue to charge me for services not receieved.  I feel this is unjust and downright fraudualant.

Today, I received a notice form Vivan demanding $2100 to fulfill the contact balance.  For what?  to fill their pockets.... I see it as outright unlawful....

Has anyone else had a similiar problem?  I would love to join a Class Action Lawsuit.  I know I can leave contact information here, but there have to be others in a similiar situation.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2017 10:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/vivant-alarm/orem-utah/vivant-alarm-vivant-is-trying-to-collect-from-2-parties-for-the-same-alarm-system-orem-ut-1355680. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content