Report: #1046390

Complaint Review: Woodforest National Bank

  • Submitted: Fri, April 26, 2013
  • Updated: Sat, April 27, 2013
  • Reported By: Tari — Bainbridge Ohio
  • Woodforest National Bank
    85 River Trace Lane,
    Chillicothe,, Ohio
    United States of America

Woodforest National Bank Bank stealing from my account Chillicothe, Ohio *EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back into your bank account that someone wrongfully takes it from you!

*General Comment: A few things...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Woodforest National Bank

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

I have had two accounts with Woodforest National Bank for several years. One is my checking account and one was a savings account with my ex fiance. I have not used the savings account for a long time. It has been being used strictly by my ex for paying a loan he had. He ended up not paying on the loan and accrued all kinds of fees and everything on this account, and then ignored it. Needless to say, that was the only account he had left with Woodforest. 

About a month ago, the bank decided they wanted their money, so they reached into MY checking account and took the full $254 in overdraft fees and such to cover this account, even though NONE OF IT was due to activity of mine. They said it is "their policy" to cover an account that is in overdraft status from any account that belongs to anyone who is a signer on the overdrawn account. It doesn't matter to THEM whether you are the one who accrued the fees or not. I happened to be the EASY ONE to steal the money from.

Here yesterday, it happened AGAIN. This time they stole $249 form my account.  They say it's not stealing, that it is "their policy", but you know what? If I did not accrue the fees and it was NOT MY DEBT to pay them, then it IS theft for them to remove money from MY ACCOUNT to cover it. Luckily, this time I asked them what it was going to take to close this account, as I, at one time, worked at a bank and knew it used to require ALL PARTIES to sign to close a joint account. She told me all I had to do was to come in and close it, that I could do it by myself, without him signing too. I asked her "WHY was I not told this last time this happened?" and she had the audacity to say "Because you didn't ask."!!!!!! And THAT is their "Customer Service"!!!!!!

In my opinion, this bank owes me the $503 they stole from me. Especially seeing as they KNEW, the second time they did it, that they were NOT my debts to pay!!!!!!

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!


Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!


Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.


If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder Author of

Rip-off Report PO Box 310, Tempe, Arizona 85280
Is this Ripoff Report About you?
Ripoff Report A business' first line of defense on the Internet.
If your business is willing to make a commitment to customer satisfaction Click here now..

Does your business have a bad reputation? Fix it the right way. Corporate Advocacy Program™

Set the record straight: Arbitration Program

SEO Reputation Management at its best!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/26/2013 08:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
Also a victim?
Repair Your Reputation!

Updates & Rebuttals


#1 General Comment

A few things...

AUTHOR: Striderq - ()

The policy you mention is called Right To Offset. All banks and credit unions use it. As you posted, if an account goes negative the bank/cu can take money from any other account of anyone listed as an account owner. It doesn't matter who caused the negative, the bank will recover their money.

Why would you leave an account with your ex open? If he needed an account to take care of the loan you should have closed the joint account and let him open a single account when the relationship ended.

You should have noticed the negative balance on your statements and contacted the bank. I can maybe understand the first time. But to not do anything and letting your ex do it a second time? I think the old saying goes "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". If anyone stole money from you and owes it back it is your ex. But seeing as how he didn't repay the loan properly you probably won't see any money from him unless you sue in small claims court.

Respond to this report!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Woodforest National Bank

AUTHOR: Woodforest Customer Service - ()

Woodforest National Bank is dedicated to providing quality customer service and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly.  Please contact your local branch or our Customer Care department toll free at 1-888-224-0132 or email
Respond to this report!
Ripoff Report Recommends
ZipBooks Accounting Software

Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.