Complaint Review: Zillow

• Updated: Wed, October 21, 2015
  • Reported By: moosemountain — Andover Maine USA
  • Zillow

USA

So, I went on Zillow to post a home for sale by owner. Zillow showed my house as valued in the high 500k range. I put in some more info and it went up to $630k. I was pretty happy. A few days later I checked on the listing and the estimate had dropped $200k. WHAT!??A few days later it dropped another $100k. WTF????? I went back and forth with them about why, and they just played dumb and would give me no reason. And say they can't do anything about it. OK, so I take it off the market with them, as it is not going to sell there with a $300k price disparity. Then, I figure hmmm; let's get down a few levels on the plying field. You can't fight fire with fire, but.....

You can go through the back door!! I went on there and edited my property info to ridiculous numbers (eg, 25 bedrooms, 38 baths, 7 stories, 100 sf. etc. NOW, anyone viewing the listing will not pay any attention to it at all, because it is obviously all screwed up.

NOW, if everyone did this, Zillow would be in shambles!! It would be useless to anyone! Please pass this idea along to anyone you know who is selling a home or fighting wirth Zillow!!! We must take them down!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2015 06:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/zillow/-/zillow-refuses-to-eliminate-your-inaccurate-estimate-but-here-is-a-way-to-get-even-seattl-1262873. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

3Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Really...

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

You keep going back to the "Well I put in 28 million rooms and 15 billion acres and my estimate went down".  Okay not that exaggerated but I think everyone gets the idea.  You admit putting in false information, and wonder why your estimate went down.  Do you really think that these people just fell off the turnip truck?  No, they have probably several checks and balances that are able to "handle" people trying to manipulate the system.  So, no I am actually not at all surprised that the wilder the values you put it the more it went down.

You wonder why no lawyer has sued them yet.  Good question, so let's look at that.  You have hundreds if not thousands of "Class Action Lawyers" who do nothing but look for something to sue companies on.  You know the type of lawyer who sues nut companies for not putting a warning on their package that it may contain nuts.  You know the ones who will go after a company who sues resturants for not putting a warning on their coffee cups that the coffee may be hot.  Yet with all of these lawyers, and according to you all of these complaints about the estimates....how many suits are there?  Yea...perhaps you should think about that for a while.

Why do people have access to see prior sale prices?  Because in most jurisdictions that is PUBLIC RECORD.  Meaning that ANYONE has the ability to view this.  Usually by going down to the local tax assessors office.  All this company(and many like it) are doing is pulling PUBLICY available records.  If you have an issue with this, take it up with your government officials, but don't expect them to do anything about it.

As for your other comment about the seller being in "control" of these things.  WRONG, this an off-chute of various "disclosures" that as a seller you are required to provide.  For example in many jurisdictions did you know that if you know there is a sex offender living next door YOU are required to let the potential buyer know?   Did you know that if for example you have a basement that floods every spring, you are required to let the buyer know.  Failure to provide certain disclosures can have you end up being sued.  Now, yes none of those are the previous sell price and this is just a side comment, but again in the case of the price it is the County that is disclosing that.

Even though I am actually giving you hints on what you can do to fix some of your issues.  I am well aware that you are so closed minded that nothing I say will even being to remotely change your thinking.  I am actually bringing things up like this for other people who are willing to have an open mind.

Now, again and finally the main reason(really the only reason) I started to respond to your post in the beginning was your obvious two-faceness in this situation.  You had NO problem when they posted estimates you liked, you only had an issue when they don't post what you like.  Umm...only having an issue when someone posts something you don't like...sound familar?

Oh and as for the fantasy that the other poster has that me and another person are the same and we work for Zillow.  All you have to do is look around this site and see how silly that actually makes you look.

You still failed to answer some of the other questions, so by now I know you won't.  So good luck in your endevors and of course when you do find that lawyer to sue them be sure to post all of that information here.

I agree - Zillow, provide an opt out of Zestimate!

AUTHOR: - ()

Completely agree with previous poster. So amusing to modify my home with extremely high numbers, only to see the Zestimate go DOWN. So, let's see, a home with 2 baths aon 11 acres is worth more than one with 5000 acres and 28 baths. Yeah. SOmething worng with Zestimates. I did this to prove a point. What made my Zestimate go down originally from $630 to $430? Did a house sell down the road for cheap? No, because I have a couple other properties in the same town and they were not affected at all. It baffles me that a lawyer who has been adversely affected by them has not taken this to court. The average person cannot afford to, but if I were a lawyer, I'd be there. So, I will continue to post ridiculous numbers to make their liting useless. My only defense right now. I will not even post any more properties on here FSBO, as they keep the sale price public. What if I want it removed? Why do potential buyers have the right to see an old sale price? I have done extensive work on these properties since posting the old price, so it needs to go away. Does Walmart post the old price of groceries on the shelf when they increase their prices? The seller should have control of these things, not the advertiser. DO NOT POST ROPERTY ON ZILLOW OR ALLOW YOUR BROKER TO DO SO! THEY WILL OWN YOUR LISTING FROM THEN ON, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO; UNLIST, EDIT, NOTHIHNG YOU CAN DO TO REMOVE THIS INFORMATION! They won't tell you this un front either; you will learn the hard way.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Time Zillow was regulated with a DoNotZestimate Opt Out

AUTHOR: Surbiton - (Afghanistan)

It is interesting how "Robert" feels the need to rush to Zillows defense everytime someone posts critical comments about fundamental flaws in their nonsense inaccurate Zestimates. There is the obvious 'denial' that he has NO connection with Zillow which is hardly surprising but just search how many similar snide & snarky posts he and another poster "Coast" have made in support of Zillow. Some people, including me believer Robert & Coast are one and the same person.

On the Zillow Advice Forum there are 3 posters there including one called "blueNile" (previously using the name "Pasadenan') who makes thousands of similar put down comments against anyone daring to criticise the almighty Zestimate. When Zillow treats Homeowners with contempt by imposing inaccurate Zestimates and refusing to correct when errors are pointed out one has to question the ethics of the company, so using 'stooges' to defend themselves would not be a surprise to me. Time Zillow was Regulated to protect Homeowners from their BS and a DoNotZestimate 'opt out' in the same way as Phone Users can opt out of unwanted spam calls should be mandated by the Authorities.

I am too busy for your games

AUTHOR: - ()

You really need to get a life

Sure...

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

So let's see what you are actually trying to pull here.

First of all in your original report you said you were "pretty happy" when they said their estimate of your house was 630K.  Yet you then come back and say that you had an appraisal and almost sold it for 700K.  Now, it is interesting how you didn't connect the two.  You didn't say you had an appraisal of 700K, you said you almost sold it for 700K, a very interesting distinction.  So let's look at some possibilities.

If you actually meant you had an appraisal for 700K, why would you be "very happy" that they undervalued your house in their estimate by anywhere from from 30-200K?   Doesn't make sense does it?  So the apprasial(if you really did get one) must have been for significantly less.  Which would then totally make sense as to why you "almost" sold it for 700K.  Perhaps the buyer's bank said it was overvalued.

But then okay let's look at this "almost" sale and figure that your appraisal was at around 700K.  You didn't say specifically why it fell through, but of course since you posted it you must be saying that the ONLY reason was because even though you had a written appraisal your potential buyers took the zillow estimate as the "end all" final sale price and refused to budge even a little from it.  Okay if that is truly the case then why not sue zillow?  You have people who I am sure will testify in court that they withdrew their offer only because of the estimate..right?  So you can prove damages...of course it will really come down to what you really sell your house for.

Now the courts may have an issue with you admitting to putting in junk values to try and get the estimate changed.

Oh and while we are on you changing your values.  It looks like they may have already caught onto your game.  After all if you are going to put in values that are impossible, they have figured this out and will counter with estimates that are just as impossible.

Be sure to update us with all of your progress.

There are idiots with their nose into business they know nothing about.

AUTHOR: - ()

Well, if nothing else, I made my listing unrecognizable so no one will believe it, estimate of facts. Just how will Zillow function if they make every property owner prove their facts. Impossible. FYI, as to how accurate Zillow estimates are.... I said my home is on 5000 acres, has 38 bathrooms and bedrooms, 7 stories, 10 car garage, 10,000 sqaure feet. Guess what happened? The estimate went DOWN! Haha! So much for accuracy. And yes, I did have an appraisal and came very close to selling this for $700,000. It is not like anything else here in Andover so please do not compare. Maybe you should stick to posting about things you have knowledge. Or perhaps you are just the type that has no life and tries to pick fights on rip off report? Anyways, butt out.

You can't have it both ways..

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

I never really get these type of reports, but yours shows you to be about as "two-faced" as you can be.

When they were giving their estimate at 500K then 630K you didn't complain,  you weren't going on some rampage to "take them down".  NO..you were pretty happy, even to the point where you were trying to get your estimate higher by putting in more things to your listing.

But oh..when it no longer worked in your favor they are all of the sudden just one step above the devil and need to be taken down immediatly.

Here is the thing the are giving an ESTIMATE based on THEIR criteria. Oh and as for putting in rediculous values and how that will hurt them.  Even if you got a small percentage of people doing this one very simple thing would happen.  They would see this and then come up with a policy where you need to prove what you are posting.  See in 10 seconds I have totally destroyed your master plan.   Oh and before you go off and say that they have to prove what they are posting..WRONG.  No where on their site do they say that they are proving anything more than an estimate.  You are posting yours as fact, you are not "estimating" your house has 25 rooms or 38 bathrooms.

But let's go one step further.  Have you had a real WRITTEN apprasial done on your property?  Not what you THINK, but have had someone come in and say that this is it's value?  If not then you can list your property for anything you want, but if the market won't bare that price that is your problem.  If you do have an apprasial what do they appraise it at?  How far off is that from the Zillow estimate?

I bring this up because I took a quick look at the Andover Maine area and the median house price is around 99K, and you don't get into the 200-300K range until you have a decent sized house on a lot of land(I am talking dozens of acres).

So here is what you can do.  If you still think you are being "wronged" then sue them.  Of course you will need more than "well I think my house is worth more".  You will need to show how they have caused damage to you, and "no one is coming to my house" won't cut it.  Why?  Because I can just about guarantee you that more people are scared off by "For Sale By Owner" than some estimate on some site.

Oh and before you even try it.  No I do not now or have I ever worked for this company.