X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Advantage America - Winter Park Florida

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Lisbon New Hampshire
  • Advantage America 1900 Howell Branch Rd. Suite #4-7 Winter Park, Florida U.S.A.

Advantage America ripoff, they emptied my checking account without authorization and my checks are bouncing all over the place! Winter Park Florida

*Consumer Comment: So sorry...

*Consumer Suggestion: A $300 lesson learned!!!

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
A few weeks ago, I received an annoying phone call, and the lady was very persistent. She guaranteed me a government grant of at least $12,000 to use as I needed. She made it sound logical; the government DOES give away millions of dollars in grants every year. Although I remained skeptical, I finally caved in and said "Yes" that I would pay just $49.95 for the information and what I thought would be forms to fill out for my grant application. I gave her my routing number and bank account number to withdraw $49.95 on Thursday of that week, Thursday being payday.

Approximately a week later, I received a small box in the mail. I opened it the next day. No hurry. After all, I really doubted that this piece of mail would change my life.

What I found inside that box was, simply, a coupon book and what looked to me like a letter. I scanned it quickly; they seemed to be offering me health insurance, which I already have. So I turned my attention to the coupon book, because they had also promised me $500 in grocery coupons.

I read a few sentences of the coupon book, and immediately thought, "Scam!" To actually receive any coupons would mean a lot of messing around on my computer, with the mail, and on the telephone. I didn't feel that it was worth my time.

I stuffed the two pieces back into the box, intending to throw them away eventually. I remember thinking, "You idiot! You just wasted fifty bucks. Almost a full day's pay down the drain."

Well, it only gets worse from there. After having my debit card denied for a ten dollar purchase, I got a printout of my bank transactions for the previous week. There was a $299.95 charge on Thursday, throwing my checking account balance into the red.

I had to wait until Monday to go to the bank to find out who they had given my money to, and surprise! it was Advantage America. The bank manager also told me they held no responsibility for the withdrawal.

The bank manager gave me a copy of the electronic check, and the phone number of Advantage America was on the check. I have just spent two days trying to call them, and I keep getting a recording, saying all of their circuits are busy.

Meanwhile, two of my checks have bounced. The bank is, of course, charging me overdraft charges and returning my checks. So far, I am out almost $400 to these con artists, and there are lots more overdraft charges to come.

Because this money was stolen from my account, I will not be able to pay my apartment rent on the first of October, and we all know what happens to people who don't pay their rent!!!

Can someone help me? I don't know what else I can do!

Jane
Lisbon, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/27/2005 11:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/advantage-america/winter-park-florida-32792/advantage-america-ripoff-they-emptied-my-checking-account-without-authorization-and-my-ch-158542. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

So sorry...

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, September 27, 2005
You will never have to pay for anything you win. This is a common scam occuring right now, and unfortunately, you'll probably never see your money again.

#1 Consumer Suggestion

A $300 lesson learned!!!

AUTHOR: Doug - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Don't EVER give ANYONE your account and routing number. PEROID! EVER!

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair