X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Amazon.com - Seattle Washington

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Philadelphia Pennsylvania
  • Amazon.com 1516 2nd Ave. Seattle, Washington U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
I purchased a book from Amazon and, on the payment page, it allowed a bank account to be entered. It did NOT state that the account had to be a checking account. I entered a savings account number; the transaction went through. Later, I was contacted by Certegy, their payment processor, who said that the payment had to have been from a checking account.

Certegy was charging me the $12.49 for the book (reasonably) and a $20 insufficient funds fee. When I complained to Amazon about not being informed that it had to have been a checking account, they stated that it was Certegy's fee and that they couldn't do anything about it. They gave me a $10 credit; however, they didn't admit to the miscommunication.

Certegy continued to call me demanding the $32.49 and were not willing to accept $12.49 for the book.
I finally wrote a letter to Amazon CEO Jeff B** (((ROR FOR SECURITY PURPOSES))) explaining the situation. I copied the letter to Certegy CEO Lee K**. In the copy to K** I included a check for $33 to get Certegy out of my hair.

I received a response from Amazon's Executive Customer Relations department apologizing, but not admitting that the whole situation was due to Amazon not communicating that payments had to be from a checking account and not a savings account.

Amy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Amazon.com

a href="/whyedited.asp" target="why"> CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2006 03:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/amazoncom/seattle-washington-98101/amazoncom-was-unclear-about-payment-method-resulting-in-charges-and-harassment-seattle-wa-199318. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
7Consumer
0Employee/Owner

savings accounts do have debit cards

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Of course savings account have debit cards! how do you think people that only have a savings account has access to his or her money while the banks are not accessible. Also, in response to a comment made by Letica. my bank for one allows ach deposits and drafts from my savings account. My car payment is made from my savings account by ach draft, and also i copied this from www.irs.gov

Sample EFW Payment Record Item Instructions
Primary SSN This is the social security number of the first person listed on the return. Note: For Business Return/Forms an Employer Identification Number would be entered instead of an SSN.
Secondary SSN If applicable, this is the social security number of the second person listed on the return.
Routing Transit Number The first two digits of the routing number must be 01 through 12 or 21 through 32. Do not use a deposit slip to verify the number because it may contain internal routing numbers that are not part of the actual routing number. On the sample check below, the routing number is 250250025.
Bank Account Number The account number can be up to 17 digits. Omit hyphens, spaces, and special symbols. Enter the number from left to right and leave any unused boxes blank. On the sample check below, the account number is 20202086. Be sure not to include the check number.
Type of Account The type of account can either be savings or checking. Many credit unions will not allow an electronic funds withdrawal from a savings account. Please check with your financial institution for further details.
Amount of Tax Payment Enter the exact amount that you would like electronically withdrawn from your bank account. Most payments can be in whole dollars (round cents to the nearest whole dollar). However, employment and excise tax payments should be made in dollars and cents. The payment amount cannot exceed the amount owed on the return.
Tax Type Code This is the same as the Form Number (1040, 1040ES, etc.).
Requested Payment Date Enter the date you would like funds to be withdrawn from your bank account in the format: YYYYMMDD (e.g. 20070416).
Taxpayer's Daytime Telephone Number Enter a telephone number where you can be reached Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 A.M.and 5:30 P.M. This number will only be used to contact you if there is a problem with your payment information.

even the irs accepts ach drafts from your savings accounts.

also in response to the person below leticia it doesn't say checking account it just says as long as it can be debited.

Electronic Payments from Checking Accounts

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, March 13, 2007
I have not heard nor seen any merchants take electronic payments from savings accounts. I do not think savings accounts have debit cards or they are "ACH-enabled". Amazon.com is not at fault for customers who are not aware that merchants cannot transact business from "savings" accounts. Checking accounts are by nature for payments.

The following text below is from amazon.com.

Can I use any bank account? Can I use a company account, or an account at a U.S. branch of a foreign bank?

Yes, you can use any bank account provided your account is a personal account located at a branch in the U.S. Although the principal account holder's billing address does not need to be in the U.S., the account holder must have a current U.S. driver's license or state-issued ID.

We do not accept corporate or business bank accounts.

The account should be "ACH-enabled," meaning that the bank account can be debited electronically. When you place an order, Amazon.com will check whether your bank account is ACH-enabled. If it is not, you will be offered the option to provide a new bank account or select a different payment method for your order.

POSTED: Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Can either of you tell me what business allows you to pay from your savings account?

Businesses are not allowed access to those accounts only the account holder. My bank makes me transfer funds from savings into checking just to pay bills online.

me too

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, March 09, 2007
i am dealing with this now. i purchased a book for my husband on feb. 8 for 19.60. now they said that they couldn't locate the bank even though they knew the name of the bank. i told them the same thing you told them that it didn't state it could'nt be a savings account and i just read through all the terms and conditions and it doesn't state that anywhere. i will fight it tooth and nail and i will not pay until the fee is dropped. and i won't order from them again

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair