X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: American Online - Ogden Utah

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: St. Louis Missouri
  • American Online P.O. Box 1559 Ogden, Utah U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
I have also been taken by the billing practices of aol. I called the toll free number and cancelled my account on 8/15/02. The reason for cancelling is I was billed double, $28.90 and $23.90 each month up till August for almost a year and one half, after several calls to aol I gave up.

I was told other accounts had been created, actually several accounts had been created. I had only one account, my Child had e-mail and a pop-up would come up and ask if he would like an account of his own with this e-mail. I don't think a ten year old should be allowed to make this decision but this is how I got doubled billed.

I called and cancelled everything that in August and was assured I would not incur anymore cost. Well guess again the aol bug appeared on my bank statements for the Months of September and October. I called back, again I was assured. Well again I now have November, December and January aol withdraws. What in the world is wrong with these people and the represenatives they employ.

Maybe a class action suit would not be a bad idea. I to have spent many hours listening to the aol "BULL". Good luck to anyone who gets back what they deserve.

Tom
St. Louis, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2003 06:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/american-online/ogden-utah-84402/american-online-rip-off-billing-scam-ogden-utah-43174. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Member Retention Department does this on purpose

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, October 22, 2004
As a former Employee of AOL's member retention department (hereafter referred to as SAVES) I can add a few things to this complaint that may explain the additional charges. As a consultant you are paid a base salary and comissions. The more accounts you retain the more money you make. Bonus's are based on accounts retained for 30,60 and 90 days.

SAVES consultants have the option of giving a free month, cancelling the account immediately, or putting a pending cancel on the account. A free month is easier and will at least result in a 30 day bonus. If the member doesn't pay attention that can result in a 60 or 90 day save as well.

All of that said, when a member puts a pending cancel on an account it is a cancel and doesn't profit anyone except the member. During training consultants are trained about the WIFM or what's in it for me policies, so it is always at the front of the consultants mind to 'SAVE' the account at all cost. Unfortunately, with all this in mind, I saw many consultants resort to dishonesty when it came to the rate of saves and the way they handled calls. While the access each consultant has to members account is documented within the computer system of AOL, unless someone or many people raise a fuss and start a class action suit, many more people will pay AOL a lot more than they have to.

I have tried to help in a suit against AOL because I feel their practices in this area are dishonest, but have yet to have anyone jump on the bandwagon. I hope this helps in some way.

Whatever you have to do, and no matter how much time it takes, continue calling and screaming to AOL. Eventually they will listen. And worse case scenario, close the bank account, cancel the card or change the phone number that the charges are billed to. This is the best way albeit a pain in the neck to eliminate this problem.

#1 Consumer Suggestion

what to do when aol rips you????

AUTHOR: Tonya - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, October 21, 2004
IVE BEEN SCAMMED AND I NEED HELP.I CANT BELIVE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY AMERICA AS A NAME. MY PHONE BILL IS BEING CHARED FOR SERVICES I CANCELED BACK IN AUGUST!!!I WAS NEVER CHARGED UNTIL I MOVED AND DISCONNECTED MY OLD PHONE SERVICE? NOW THEY SAY THEY CANT CANCEL ME INLESS I CALL FROM MY OLD NUMBER!!!!!!THIS IS TRUELY A SCAM ARTIST AT WORK! AFTER I AM TRANSFERRED TO THIS CONSULT IM TRANSFERED TO ANOTHER ONE WHO IS NOT EVEN AMERICAN, ONE OF THE VERY PEOPLES AS TO WHY OUR COUNTRY IS IN DANGER IS WHAT IM TRANSFERRED TO AND SHE CANT SPEAK ENGLISH HALF WAY.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair