X  |  CLOSE

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
canada safeway pretends to care about the safety of its employees. They spend an enormous amount of money issuing best safe practice lessons that nobody really goes through. In many of these lessons it tells us how we should never lift anything above shoulder height, never over extend when lifting, do not rush, make sure you take time to warm up muscles, ect.

This is only a safe practice for their legal department. They do not want us to follow these best practices because they would cost them time and therefore money. By Informing us of the safest way to work they think it is no longer there responsibility if we are hurt on the job.

They tell us not to lift anything above sholder height but stack the pallets 7 - 8 feet high. There must ba a lot of 9' tall people working in the warehouses. They could easily pile things only 4' and stack full pallets on top of each other for delivery where they could be separated by fork lifts in the store. This unfortunately would take more time and 8 extra inches on each pallet. It might cost more time. When I was hurt by repetatively having to lift things stacked way to high for my height, I had to give up hours and wages because I can no longer perform the duties of the job that went against company "best safe practices" anyway.

They tell us when lifting Make sure you carry things close to your body. Then they give us sales schematics to set up that are impossible to do unless you over extend.

They cut hours and increase workloads so much , nobody has the time to even think what is save, never mind act on it. Clerks and especially assist. Mgrs. are pushed so hard to get so much done, that they often sneak time in on their breaks to get work done instead of really resting for their own health.

chris
portage la prairie, Manitoba

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/canada-safeway/calgary-manitoba-t2e7v8/canada-safeway-ripoffdoes-thecompany-really-want-us-to-follow-safe-best-practices-abused-17339. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

POSTED: Sunday, April 14, 2002
In fairness to Safeway, I can see why they wouldn't respond. It sounds alot like sour grapes to me. I have worked for Safeway in Calgary (when I was younger)and they were more then fair to me. I received sufficient breaks and was never injured while stocking shelves. Let's think about that for a minute, it's not rocket science when it comes to stocking shelves and setting up display. If you re-read your own concerns you may realize how unrealistic some of the things your saying really are. This complaint should in no way be a reflection on safeway as a company or the way they treat their employees. I base this opinion on 7 years of past employment.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair