X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Capital One Auto Finance - San Diego California

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Clarksville Tennessee
  • Capital One Auto Finance 401 West A. Street, Ste.100 San Diego, California U.S.A.

Capital One Auto Finance ripoff misreporting on credit report and refuse to correct it San Diego California

*Consumer Suggestion: You do have rights!

In February of this year, my fiance and I purchased a car from a dealer in Nashville, TN with financing through Capital One. Because my fiance is Active Duty military, he is exempt from paying sales tax on a vehicle purchase, but because we weren't married at the time of purchase, we had to come back in later that month to 're-do' our sales contrat to include the sales tax.

We went in on 3/13/04 to do that and were offered an extremely better interest rate through another company. A check was sent to Capital One for the payoff of the car by the dealer immediately. After making our first payment to the new finance company on 4/27/04, the same week we received a statement from Capital One saying we were 2 months behind. We contacted the 800# listed on the statement and after spending an hour on the phone with 5 different people, we thought everything was straightened out and that their records were updated.

A week later we received a letter saying there was still a $221.00 balance after the payoff, we contacted our dealer and they in turn contacted Capital One to inquire about the discrepency. This battle over the $221.00 went on for over 2 months. During this time, we were buying a house and when our credit report was pulled, we found out Capital One had submitted a negative credit rating, saying we were over 30 days late. We spoke with person after person saying it would be taken off our credit, that we would receive a letter saying we didn't owe the money and that it had been paid in full and to this date, we have yet to receive any of it.

I called a month ago and they can't even 'find us' in their system. Do NOT use this company, we knew nothing about them when we bought our car the first time and had we known this, we wouldn't have bought one if they were our only option for financing, which they weren't. The reps we have spoken with have shown no remorse for the way their compnay operates and no one wants to take any responsibility for their mistakes.

Lori
Clarksville, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/12/2004 06:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/capital-one-auto-finance/san-diego-california-92101/capital-one-auto-finance-ripoff-misreporting-on-credit-report-and-refuse-to-correct-it-san-112660. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You do have rights!

AUTHOR: Dana - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, October 23, 2004
I am sorry this happened to you. I have been going through a somewhat similar situation, in that I paid my debt and the company hid behind there rep's to avoid taking a very incorrect mark off my credit report too. I can tell you that I have learned that the Federal Trade Com., BBB, and even your State Attorney General will take your complaint. If you go to the FTC's website you can learn about the FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT, which is what they are violating. Basically this ACT spells big Federal trouble for those who choose to ignore the issue. I will also tell you that they (the offending company) have time limits to repair or remove the incorrect information. You should contact the 3 major credit reporting agencies (Experian, equifax, and trans union, they all have informative websites too) and request a dispute. You can call them, I have gotten a person every time I have called within business hours, they will ask you some questions and then you should be notified by mail of there results. If the offending company responds with any changes then they are changed on your credit report, but if the company does not respond within 30 days then the info should be removed.

I hope this helps you. I know that these companies seem to have a wall of mean and/or negligent representatives who will just repeat the same information and not put someone on the phone who can get it taken care of, or give false promises. This Act should help you have peace of mind by knowing that if it is incorrect then it will need to be removed or corrected in the end. It's my understanding that it's usually done within about 90 days.

Good luck!