X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Cingular Wireless - Raleigh North Carolina

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Raleigh North Carolina
  • Cingular Wireless 2624 Vega Court Raleigh, North Carolina U.S.A.

I have just spent about 20 minutes this morning reading the rip off posting and the rebuttals by Cingular Wireless employees. To the rip off posters I understand your frustration and you have a lot of company. Cingular Wireless is ripping off customers and a long tenure does not seem to matter.

Recently, I lost my phone and spent 1 month trying to locate the phone to avoid going through what I knew would be a headache. Even though there were no calls made on my phone during this time the request to have a new phone to keep my services was denied. It seems that they are more interested in you completing your 2-year contract versus keeping you as a customer.

I even suggested that they allow me to renew my contract for 2 additional years the response was okay but at a one-year contact rate. Now, how much sense does that make. I ask for the President address and phone number to be told that they did not have that information and name. Who do you know works for a company and don't know who the President is or where his/her office is located.

Like all of you, I cancel my service with Cingular and went with Sprint and carried my Cingular number with me. I am not saying that Sprint is better, because they are not but I refuse to patronize a company that care so little about their customers. Customers are who make these companies and customers can break these companies. If all customers join together to fight these outrageous fees and incompetent CSR a statement can be made and companies forced to conduct ethical businesses.

We are constantly wondering why USA businesses quality services are poor and unacceptable, that is because we have incompetent managers running the show. I remember when companies believed in their customers and demonstrated their appreciation. I wonder what went wrong and when, I have a theory that it all started when companies begin to place more value in having a MBA's than good qualified employees that has invested years within the organization.

I too worked for the phone company at one time and the individuals that are running the show are the ones making the stupid decisions not Cingular. I am sure that Cingular was created with a vision to grow and be prosperous and not to be the recipient of claims I have been reading today.

I don't know about you, but I hate someone trying to play with my intelligent that brings out the worst in me. I will not pay the fee, I don't care if it is $10 or a $100 it's the principle. I will pay for a service that I receive but I am not in the habit of giving my money away, if I chose to do that it would definitely be to a charitable cause, not to a company who has abused my services. The same incompetent managers that are enforcing these stupid rules are the same ones that would scream the loudest when the table is turned.

Vergie
Raleigh, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2004 05:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cingular-wireless/raleigh-north-carolina-27614/cingular-wireless-ripoff-raleigh-north-carolina-101866. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
6Consumer
0Employee/Owner

POSTED: Saturday, August 05, 2006
I see a lot of complaints on ROR like this, and I think it's from a misconception of how the cell industry works. I have 4 lines with 2 different carriers and have had them for years. I'm not an expert, but I am an educated consumer.

Everybody wants cell service but nobody wants to pay for the phone. Manufacturers like Nokia, Motorola, LG, etc do not give their phones away to Cingular, Verizon, or whomever. They cost money to produce and these guys want to stay in business. These are high tech products and some of them are very costly. In addition, there is not much margin on electronics. Camcorders, PC's, etc are sold for little more than cost. We are talking the retailers cost, NOT the manufacturers production costs. All electronics retailers are trying to sell for less than their competitors.

That being said, the cell industry came up with a way to sell a phone that costs them $190 for $10. This also makes it cheaper than their competitor and brings people to them due to the little or no out-of-pocket expense. The Contract. The idea is simple enough: what the retailer loses on the phone will be made up on the service, and then some.

Now I know what you're thinking: The cell company makes enough money off the service they should just give the phones away. This is just not true. Say one customer loses his phone a lot, or replaces it frequently because he likes to have new phones. If the cell company is losing $180 on each phone this guy buys, and the guy is only paying $60/month for service, and you multiply that by millions of customers... well.. you do the math. No business will last selling things for less than they pay for them.

What's the answer? Simple- don't sign any contracts. You will pay more for the phone, but you will not be bound to any carrier.

Want proof? Check out a carrier that doesn't do contracts. We have one here in Atlanta called Metro PCS. All they do is pre-paid and no contracts. All you-can-eat local minutes for about $40.00. I have one. The coverage is OK if you stay in the metro area, but there are NO CONTRACTS. The phones start at about $80 (this phone would be free with a contract at another carrier).

So, after saying all that, you bought a phone at a discount in exchange for a contract. You did not fulfill your end of the agreement before wanting ANOTHER discount on a phone. Cingular said no. So would any other carrier that has contracts. Sure there are exeptions, but it is in Cingular's best interest not to lose more money on you. Sorry.

please...

AUTHOR: Angel - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, July 31, 2006
I work for cingular wireless in a call center. I was once very very sympathetic to the customers who called in gave the same sobb story. Similar to yours, all to often it turned out to be a lie. People are very very untruthful. I am not saying all people are this way however, when you hear the same sappy sobb stories every single day and look at the notes on accounts you see that folks are not honest with us, so how can we be expected to give you everything you want. If you were responsable enough to keep up with your phone then you wouldn't have been asked to pay the one year price and extend the 2 year contract.

Compared to the full retail price of the phone that is a decient deal...if you pay a little more for the phone this time maybe you won't be so careless in the future with your phone. Now as far as the office of the president, we know who the president is however we cannot give that information to the customers if the matter is escilated up far enough then you will be provided that information but a csr cannot provide that information to you. Finally "abused your services"? how is that so?

I didnt once hear any mention of bad coverage area or issues with equiptment other than the fact that YOU lost your phone...sounds to me like cingular did provide you with good service your just upset that you were not given something for nothing...be a responsable adult keep up with your stuff and if you make a mistake be willing to pay for it...thanks

Take A Breath

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, August 03, 2004
------>Cingular Wireless does not rip off thier customers. If you compare the prices for plans and phones, you will see they are about average for wireless plans in general.
------->No, this is paying for your phone that you originally had, probably for free or a severly reduced rate. It is not Cingulars fault you lost it!
If you dont pay the fees you will get sent to Collections.