X  |  CLOSE

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Joshua B. — Medford NY United States
  • Citibank 284 Birchwood Rd Medford, New York United States

Citibank froze my account and threatened to close it for rooting my phone Medford New York

*Consumer Comment: Ridiculous complaint

My debit card was declined at Chick Fil A last night I called Citibank Fraud Prevention and waited an hour for a reference code. I was told I needed to go to a branch. This morining I waited 3 hours at the Citibank branch in Port Jefferson Station, NY and was told that they recieved a login from a less secure mobile device.  They asked to look at the phone that I was using. I went back to my car to get it and rushed back into the bank. They said that the device is rooted and the software has been modified. I Rooted my Android Phone and flashed Lineage OS 14.1. They said if I continue to login from that device they may have to close the account becuase it is a security problem and it's a high risk to the bank. HIGH RISK?? How is rooting my phone High Risk. It's my phone I pay good money for it I can do whatever I want with it. They still said that I can't be logging in from devices that are rooted or where the software has been modified or the account may be closed. F* YOU SH*Y BANK!!! They discriminate against people who Root or Jailbreak Their Phones and Flash Custom ROMS. They unfroze the account but I can't use the Citi Mobile App on my main phone. It's a good thing I have another phone to use their dumb app on. I have been with Citibank for over 5 years. They wasted 3 hours of my life in a f*g citibank branch. I do not have the luxury of waiting.

CITIBANK IS NOW CALLED SH*Y BANK!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2018 04:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/citibank/medford-new-york-11763/citibank-froze-my-account-and-threatened-to-close-it-for-rooting-my-phone-medford-new-york-1455679. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Ridiculous complaint

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States)

POSTED: Wednesday, August 08, 2018

I think they know better than you what a security risk is on a modified phone. I thankl you though for educating me because I never knew rooting a phone could leave it that vulnerable. Google it and you'll find an adequate explanation of the issue on the Kaspersky site. As it is the big banks were ultra lax for years on security issues. Now they're tightening up and rightfully so and sure enough along comes Mr Entitled here to blast them as ripoffs. Of all the things Citibank has done in its history that could definitely be classed as ripoffs, including their substantial role in almost destroying the global economy 10 years ago, this is so utterly UNripoffable it's funny.

What a freaking entitled wisea** d***!

Investigates Reputation Repair