X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Classic International Inc. - New York New York

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: RD2 Cambridge IN
  • Author Not Confirmed What's this?
  • Why?
  • Classic International Inc. 1674 Broadway, Suite 802 New York, New York U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix

We moved to New Zealand in February of this year. We submitted an application for quotes at one of the moving sites and received several sales pitch emails from different companies. A number also called my mother-in-law's home (where our household goods were stored) and gave her their pitch.

We settled on Classic International Inc. At least I thought, if anything goes wrong I can file a complaint with the card company. I have successfully done so in the past when something I ordered on the internet never arrived.

When the movers arrived at my mother-in-laws house (a week late) they demanded more money, in cash or they would not take our stuff, this was above the deposit of $270 we had already paid. She paid them a further $200 in cash, plus tipped the workers $50, and told the supervisor we would pay the balance with our card. As a bonus the original estimate of $1300 had ballooned to $1700.

After they had our stuff and took it away to some undisclosed location in Chicago, they began calling my mother-in-law demanding a wire transfer for the balance and claimed they could not accept credit cards for international shipping because they needed American money. Again Classic International's web site features credit card logos on every page including the page about interantional shipping.

I smelled a rat imediately and called their NY number and told them they had my credit card number and they could either use it or return my goods and deposit or I would start filing complaints. I followed up with an email.

I had no response from them so I started searching the internet and was shocked to learn that Classic International had a bad reputation for using subcontractors and taking no action against scammers.

Instead of responding to me they called my mother in law and tried to pressure her again for a wire transfer. They also threatened that if I don't send a wire transfer they will start charging storage.

Interestingly I got our copies of the documentaion from my mother-in-law today and there is no information there as to our delivery address on them. I suspect they never planned to deliver our effects.

At this point I am trying to get our household effects returned to my mother-in-law's address and we will contract a reputable moving firm if we ever see our things again.

Starting Monday we will start filing complaints with every jurisdiction we can and see if we can get these scammers busted.

Andrew
Valparaiso, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2002 09:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/classic-international-inc/new-york-new-york-10019/classic-international-inc-consumer-fraud-ripoff-false-advertising-con-scheme-new-york-new-21068. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
6Consumer
0Employee/Owner

POSTED: Wednesday, June 26, 2002

I a duly regret to inform you, ED(??) that he did NOT contact me at the Claims Department. I suggest since you do not know the details of this transaction that you keep your ignorant suggestions and comments to yourself.

We fully rendered our service oblilgated under the contractual agreetment this customer aknowledged.

As the Manager of the Claims Department I tend to see more cases of customers who make themselves intentionally and voluntarily ignorant. They do not read through their contracts, who do not do their homework in respect to obtaining appropriate shipping services and insurance coverage for their goods. They don't purchase addtional insurance for their goods and when there are damages they are SUPRISED to find out that the Carrier is only liable for the minimum valuation, 60 c per pound in most cases. The customer not only is required to sign the contract but, also they are required by law to handwrite "sixty cents per pound" and still, they are ASTOUNDED when the time comes to settle with them.

Amazingly, Customers are not aware that ESTIMATES are just as the word implies, mere estimates of the charges that will be incurred in their transactions. Many tiems custoemrs add addtioanl services, more furniture, etc. which changes the charges for their transactions.

If the SHIPPER would be take the time to become a responsible and informed consumer there would be less complaints and unsatisfaction in transactions such as these.

So, yes in essence every irresponsible customer leaves himself WIDE OPEN to be asked to "bend over" as you ignorantly and crudely put it Ed.

Another bogus rebuttal above

AUTHOR: Ed - ()

POSTED: Thursday, June 06, 2002

I've seen numerous complaints about Classic International. It's no surprise that we have yet another one. I say that only crooks operate the way you do, demanding money be wired before making delivery. What is it that you have to hide that you operate this way?

As far as the customer going the "extra mile" to contact you, um, read his complaint again. He DID attempt to contact you, but for some reason, you decided to contact someone else to demand payment. It seems to me that any "professional" company would want to work with the customer to resolve a problem, but the only professionalism I see in the moving industry is as professional con artists.

In short, you have his stuff and are demanding ransom be paid before you will consider returning it. You won't even deal with him directly, and then you snipe at him and say he should go the extra mile to work with you. Does he at least get to grease up before he bends over and grabs his ankles?

ALL THE RELEVANT ISSUES IN THIS MATTER ARE NOT FAIRLY ADDRESSED

POSTED: Thursday, May 23, 2002

There are other relevant issues in this matter that are not being disclosed.

Andrew was given an estimate for his move by the Broker for the move. Usually these estimates are either based on the weight of the items or in comse cases by the description of the items that will be moved. AS youb can tell the latter method is unreliable.

On the day of the pick up his items were weighed and found to be more than the original estimate. Therefore, he was charged accordingly.

Further, once Andrew arrived in New Zealand they decided to move back to Indiana.Which they did but, their shipment never arrived because before it was scheduled to they moved back to the States. There shipment is presently in Florida awaiting delivery-which they have yet to pay. And, further they failed to mention that they were given a generous refund on their move.

Presently, they have an open balance that requires payment.

If they have any further issues they should go the extra mile and attempt to resolve these issues with the Claims Department. To date they have yet to do so.

Featured Reports

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair