X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Community Trust Bank - Pikeville Kentucky

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Hazard Kentucky
  • Community Trust Bank 100 Citizens Lane, Pikeville, Kentucky U.S.A.
  • Phone: 888-443-8504
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

In June of 2006 Community Trust bank charged me several overdrafts all the while my account had a positive balance. This in turn caused several checks to bounce which in turned caused several more over draft fees. When calling to correct this error, I was told that the hotel had a hold on my debit card and that caused my other checks/payments to become overdrawn.

Since the amount of my room and invoice never placed me in negative terriotory I asked how could this be? I checked in on the 2nd and the account was charged on the 5th. No time during that period did I use my credit/debit card or write a check and never fell under $480 available in my account.

I was told after they called me back 2 hours later that the hotel had double billed me. This double bill never appeared on my statement I said. Ignoring what I had just said, she says, you were charged $135 twice. I said I had $480 in my account. She says but you were charged twice. I said $165 times 2 is $330, this still would not place me in the negative. She said but you had more charges later that day (on the 5th).

I said yes, $114, $80, $35, $7. I said all these charges, should have cleared even if the double charge stood, why was I charged 5 of them? Then she said, but you were charged twice for the hotel. I said, you know what, make me an appointment to meet with you bank. I still do not understand why she kept insisting about the double charge.

Anyways I am wondering if I need legal counsel. This ballooned to $980 in charges during the three months overall all because of the phantom overdraft charges. Even if the hotel charged me double, the amount never appeared on my bank statement, so is she, the bank employee lying? How can I get a copy of this invoice from the hotel? Or do I need to contact the hotel concerning the oerdrafts?

Roger
Hazard, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2006 08:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/community-trust-bank/pikeville-kentucky-41701/community-trust-bank-charged-overdrafts-on-a-positive-account-balance-hazard-kentucky-227452. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
7Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#7 Consumer Suggestion

if the bank doesn't provide you a statement, fight them

Hello Roger,

It strikes me. You said the bank can't give you a statement or record showing the double charge, yet over the phone, the woman said there was a double charge?

The bank can't charge you an overdraft fee on a memo posted or pending transaction. Officially you haven't overdrawn the account until the hotel batches its credit card sales and it has posted as a full transaction on that days business.

If you can get it in writing from some level of management at the hotel, saying that they didn't charge you, then that would be a good start. Then you could take that to your bank. Try to also get a business card from the hotel manager, or some level of authority.

Or on the other hand, if you can get a written statement from your bank saying that the hotel DID double charge you, that would be good too. Same rule applies, get some kind of business card for the branch manager or president.

Both the bank and the hotel are bigger than me and you. Somehow I think they can battle this out and you will get those fees back. See who will give you a written statement, and go from there..

Don't pay those fees. Your bank sounds shady to me

Double Charges

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

Roger,

What I believe happened is that the hotel placed the hold twice, but only submitted a single charge. Unfortunately this happens a lot, usually due to human error and carelessness. You should be able to ask your bank to document the fact that two holds were submitted. This information is available, in spite of what they might initially tell you. Hopefully they will be cooperative and show you two separate hold requests from the hotel.

With this information you have grounds for demanding that the hotel reimburse you for your penalties. They probably will not, but you have the material for an excellent small claims case. I hope that it is practical for you to do so.

If the bank won't document two holds, remind them that a claim may then be made against them.

I hope you prevail.

No records to back up the banks claim of a double billing

AUTHOR: Roger - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, December 28, 2006
Kevin, thank you for your response.

The thing is I only stayed one night and I used a credit card to reserve the hotel room. When I went to check out the next day I used the debit card. In the mean time a double charge never showed on my statement nor does it show on any of the bank records for this account. So basically I am having a hard time believing that I was billed twice since there is no record or proof. I have emailed the hotel and will attempt to get the invoice for that stay. Now if the hotel says they did not charge me twice, wha should be my next move??

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Hi Roger,

I read your complaint, and I've heard similar situations. I've had the same thing happen myself.

Typically when you swipe your card at hotel check in, the system they use does place a hold on your card. Suppose your two nights stay will cost about $200.00, the hotel will hold $300-$360.

I remember how shocked I was when I found out that a check I had written to the local Cub Foods was returned because it was presented to my bank, at the same time that the hotel hold was in place.

If the hotel charged you twice, and it shows on your statement that they charged you twice, then you should by any means, demerit the hotel.

But if it doesn't show that charge on your statement, I'd ask for management at your bank.

For the future, the best thing I could suggest is use a credit card for when you reserve a hotel. That way when they place that hold, there are no other pending transactions that could affect you.

Otherwise if you must use a debit card, be sure that pending checks have cleared before you check in at the hotel. That hold could be in effect for days, and it does suck paying those fees.

#3 Consumer Suggestion