X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: DIRECTV - Internet

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Hot Springs Arkansas
  • DIRECTV directv.com Internet U.S.A.

Report about YOU
Find out more here.
How to fix
DIRECTVs BBB initial response:

Company's Initial Response - Posted 05/12/2009
We regret to hear of any misunderstanding. When I contacted you by phone on May 10, 2009, you were unable to speak with me. I have not received a return call nor was I able to reach you when I called back on May 12, 2009. On July 5, 2006, you sent us an e-mail requesting one of your two accounts to be disconnected. We attempted to call you by phone in response to your request on July 11. When you called us back you mentioned wanting to keep costs low because you were going through a divorce and your daughter was leaving for college. We suggested reducing your programming instead of disconnecting the account and you stated you would consider this. We could only assume your service was satisfactory because we did not receive any further communication from you regarding this account until February 24, 2009.

On February 24, you requested to disconnect the account and it was effective the following day. Due to the various ways DIRECTV makes your billing information and specific charges known (i.e. paper statements, E-billing options, directv.com, and customer support) we are unable to credit monthly charges older than 60 days. Respectfully, DIRECTV Office of the President
Initial Response Summary
Due to the various ways DIRECTV makes your billing information and specific charges known we are unable to credit monthly charges older than 60 days.

Thursday, May 14, 2009
In response to your reply above:
There is no misunderstanding, only a total failure of DIRECTV to follow my instructions, DIRECTVs claim of initiating an improper marketing call, DIRECTV fraudulently claiming to have talked to me, and DIRECTVs criminal removal of monies from my account.

When I received a call Sunday May 10, 2009, I explained to the woman who called (Lori? Loni?) that this was a bad time as we were on our way out to the veterinarians office with a sick puppy. She stated that she was off the next day but would call back. I have a working recorder on my phone and I was NEVER left a message. I am still waiting for DIRECTV to call back. The history of DIRECTV's attempts to contact me has been an abject failure, even after I supply correct contact information.
My July 5, 2006 E-mail order should have resulted in the service being discontinued and ceased any further removal of monies from my account. DIRECTV could have simply replied to my E-mail with the offer of reduced programming and I would have replied affirming my order to disconnect on August 1, 2006.

On July 11, 2006 DIRECTV DID NOT call MY phone and I DID NOT ever call DIRECTV back regarding this account!
I NEVER had the conversation We suggested reducing your programming instead of disconnecting the account and you stated you would consider this.
I DID NOT talk to DIRECTV about this account after the initial E-mail of July 5, 2006 until February 24, 2009.
DIRECTV fraudulently noted authorization to continue removal of monies from my account by claiming to have talked to me. I DO NOT have a daughter and was divorced in June 2006!

DIRECTV should have NEVER called anyone in regards to this account! DIRECTV should have followed my initial instructions, disconnected services August 1, 2006, and discontinued removal of monies from my account.
After all, DIRECTV received a hefty fine for DIRECTVs telemarketing activities and, from my experience and information obtained from the Internet; I now am beginning to see why this occurred. I am one of many who complain about DIRECTV billing after a request for service to be disconnected is ignored and DIRECTV does not want to refund any amount of the fraudulent charges.
To summarize, DIRECTV criminally removed monies from my account for approximately 30 months and DIRECTVs defense is that I did not catch DIRECTV soon enough!
I e-mailed DIRECTV asking for one of my accounts to be disconnected.

DIRECTV failed to follow my instructions and did not disconnect.
DIRECTV claims to have initiated a marketing call to someone other than me who stated they would think about it
DIRECTV totally failed to contact the owner of the credit card and had NO authorization to continue removal of monies from my account.
DIRECTV continued to withdraw monies from my account after specific orders to disconnect and stop removal of monies from my account.
I assumed my order to DIRECTV was followed and that no further action was required on my part.
DIRECTV made a totally unauthorized call and assumed DIRECTV could continue billing.

I am still a DIRECTV customer, as I have been for many years, and am willing to accept a credit to my account for all the monies DIRECTV fraudulently obtained over those ~ 30 months.
DIRECTVs failure to issue me a credit will result in legal action against DIRECTV for DIRECTVs criminal actions and civil damages. I expect a reply agreeing to a full credit within fourteen days of this response or legal action will be instituted.

George
Hot Springs, Arkansas

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on DirectTV

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/14/2009 11:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/directv/internet/directv-30-months-of-fraudulent-billing-el-segundo-internet-451832. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Let us know

POSTED: Wednesday, May 27, 2009
What the judge has to say....

Let us know

POSTED: Wednesday, May 27, 2009
What the judge has to say....

Current Status of my Complaint

AUTHOR: George F Griepp - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, May 27, 2009
I fully realize that most credit card disputes are valid for ~60n days. My problem was that I had two DIRECTV accounts and never noticed the two charges for ~30 months. Here is the latest exchange with DIRECTV:
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:50 a.m.

Called and spoke to David (U2631) at DIRECTV he informed me Amanda would return my call within 2 hours.
Amanda (R9631) at DIRECTV called offered me 60 days credit I politely refused and again informed that I would be suing in small claims court and filing criminal charges for unauthorized use of a credit card. Amanda kept telling me that DIRECTV had spoken with me and I had not called DIRECTV to confirm the disconnect and that DIRECTV had billed me for approximately 30 months before I noticed. I stressed to Amanda that I had never been contacted by DIRECTV after my initial E-mail in July, 2006 and that I had never spoken to DIRECTV about this account until February 24, 2009 when I discovered the fraudulent billing.

DIRECTVs position appears to be that I did not catch DIRECTV soon enough so DIRECTV intends to keep most of the funds that DIRECTV fraudulently removed from my bank account and that I did not catch DIRECTV quickly enough. Approximately $100 credit does not equal the approximately $1600 dollars DIRECTV obtained fraudulently.

It appears I am headed to small claims court and the Sheriffs Office to file charges. I would think that in the current environment that DIRECTV would want to perform in an ethical, honest manner, not continue to be a thief of my money.

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Good luck

POSTED: Thursday, May 14, 2009
You do realize you only have 90 days to dispute a charge on a credit card, afterwords it is legally valid?

I doubt you will get all that money back, they are under no legal obligation to give the money back. You should have looked at your bank statement sometime in the last 30 months and seen what was going on. You are not 100% free from obligation in this situation. I hope you have learned to look at your credit card statements every month?

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair