X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Discover - West Valley City Utah

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Carlsbad California
  • Discover discover.com West Valley City, Utah U.S.A.

Discover Payment Protection Plan Enrollment Scam Alleged enrollment in Discover Payment Protection Plan West Valley City Utah

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: How you may have been signed up

Discover card has alleged that I signed up for their "Payment Protection Plan", on August 7, 2007, and proceeded to bill me for the plan monthly, based on the dollar amount outstanding on my card. Unfortunately, I did not pay careful attention to the statements, and did not notice the charge for this until the December 2007 statement.

I called to tell them that I never signed up for this plan, and wanted the billing to stop, and to be reimbursed for the months they had billed me. The person I spoke with on the phone was extremely rude and unprofessional and told me that maybe I should pay closer attention to my bills. This is besides the point, when I should have never been billed in the first place, and they shouldn't be allowed to sneak charges into your account.

They harass us weekly with their phone calls for the purpose of soliciting these types of plans, even after requesting on more than one occasion that they do not call. The only plan I did try out with them was a trial of the Identity theft program, which I soon after also canceled, and had to call and email 3 times to get this taken care of.

They report to me on Jan 30, 2008 that they "investigated" the billing, and I received a letter, stating that:

PAYMENT PROTECTION has provided their office with proof of enrollment. But they neither tell me what the proof is, or send me documentation of their so called proof.

If I'm not mistaking, aren't they legally required to provide me with written proof documenting that I actually did sign up for this protection plan, which they still have not?

Sharan
Carlsbad, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2008 11:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/discover/west-valley-city-utah-92010-1347/discover-payment-protection-plan-enrollment-scam-alleged-enrollment-in-discover-payment-pr-314987. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

How you may have been signed up

AUTHOR: Discoverdog - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, May 12, 2008
I was a former employee of Epixtar Marketing, the company that is hired by discover to market their products. It appears that there is some mis information on the page that needs to be cleared up.

1. None of this is discovers fault.

2. Epixtar does not follow discovers guidelines for marketing their product, but has changed the script allowing it to be assertive, with very low commitment and hard closes. The script epixtar is supposed to use (the one written on their computer screen tells you all of the information straight forward and politely asks you if you are interested. However, this is not the case with the Epixtar script, which is the one you have all heard. Below is the epixtar script, which I imagine won't be up for very long.

Customer: Hello?

Employee: Hi, May I please speak to ______________?

Customer: This is he/she.

Employee: Hi, Mr/Mrs. ______________ my name is ____________ calling on behalf of your discover card account, how has it been working for you?

Customer: Fine

Employee: Thats good to hear, the reason i'm calling today is that Discover wanted me to let you know we are mailing you out a review of our payment protection plan, and not asking you to make any decisions on it today and do you still receive your mail at ______________ address?
Ok, and since you are a valuable member I don't need to ask you any information, they just want me to read you a couple paragraphs about it, it only takes 30 seconds of your time, and just so they know i'm doing my job correctly and doing everything by the book, (hit record on tape recorder) They want me to "record" your enrollment, "pause" ok?(word record emphasized to distract from word enrollment, and the word ok used to trick customer to give an affirmative.)

Customer: (Can give any of the following affirmative responses for the employee to continue.) Yes, Ok, Yeah, Sure, Okie Dokie, Fine, Thats fine, Thats ok, Affirmative, Go ahead.(after one is obtained, the employee will read off the screen verbatim since the recordings are sent to discover for verification.)

Employee: Ok here is what it says, Your payments and finance charges can be put on hold for one month if you move, and up to 2 years if you become disabled or hospitalized, but you cannot use your account.

Eligibility requirements, conditions and exclusions could prevent you from receiving benefits. For example, you cannot get benefits for the first 15 days of disability. Hospitalization exludes child birth and requires a two night stay. We will send you a letter with the effective date of your enrollment along with the terms and conditions before you have to pay. Please read them carefully.

59 cents per 100 dollars of your balance will be charged to Discover account ending in **** at the end of each billing period. Payment protection is "optional" and whether or not you enroll will not affect your credit agreements with us. Product features and price may change with notice.

You may cancel at any time by calling 1-877-883-1959. If you cancel within the first 30 days you will receive a full refund. Do we have your approval for enrollment, (pause) ok?

Customer: once again must give an affirmative and then is let off the phone.
(As you can tell this paragraph that is required to be read tells you that you are being enrolled, but only with permission. But an experienced sales rep can manipulate the way he/she reads it, by emphasizing certain words and slurring other words to trick the customer.)

If the Customer objects....

Rebuttal 1. Mr./Mrs. ___________ what we are doing is sending you out all of the information in about 12 to 14 business days, getting you "enrolled", and the final decision on keeping the service is up to you, I just want to make sure we have your approval for enrollment. (Word "Enrollment" read fast or slurred.)

Rebuttal/Probe 2. Mr./Mrs____________ the plan costs a mere 59 cents per 100 dollars of your monthly statement balance, but if you have not used your card and have no new charges there is no cost for the service at the end of the "billing cycle." With that in mind do we have your approval for enrollment, OK!?

Also it can be noted that the last sentence is never said as a question but rather as a statement to make the customer seem like you are just still reading, then the loud ok catches them off guard usually leads to an affirmative response.

I hope i could be of some help to you people. Some of you i probably signed up for payment protection in this manner and i apologize. But nobody should take it out on discover. Their script is customer friendly and closes softly. Unfortunately this script doesn't work. Epixtar has taken drastic measures to make sales including modifying the script and tricking customers.