X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: ESL Federal Credit Union - Rochester New York

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Rochester New York
  • ESL Federal Credit Union 100 Kings Highway Suite 1200 Rochester, New York U.S.A.

ESL Federal Credit Union ESL Credit Union charges over $900.00 in late fees for $311.82 payment. Rochester New York

*Author of original report: ESL credit union, car loans ripoffs

*General Comment: ESL- Potentially Fraudulent Collections Department

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
In 2005 I went to our local car dealer to replace our old no longer trustworthy car. I had purchased many cars there, did not expect a problem.
However, several months earlier I had become severly injured at my work & was on NYS Workers Comp. The dealership wanted a co-signer this time around. I asked my 80yr old mother & she agreed to do so.
As usual, we had a ton of paperwork in front of us and we signed everything.
We both had done this many times before. We did not realize until the very end that the car dealership had put my mother as buyer and me as co-signer.
We let it go through that way, as the car needed to be paid every month, regardless of who's name was on the title. I switch our insurance to the new car October 2005.
In April 2008 I was awaiting to be picked up by SSD. The injury from 2005 was permanent and ended my working career at 47yrs old.
My mother called me to say her Visa through the ESL credit Union was frozen and she recieved a letter stating they were going to repo the car from 2005.
ESL stated this was a final warning, they could call in the loan right now, repo the car and take away her Credit Union Membership. For over a week I tried to reach someone from the CU, no luck. A week after that I drove my mother to the Credit Union building. We spoke to the assistant Manager, She finally after about one half hour, reached someone else in Collections. It was discovered that in December 2005 I had missed a payment. Niether the Credit Union or myself had noticed. I agreed to send in the payment with May's payment. She agreed but stated she would not remove the ban on my mother's Visa Card until the money was recieved in May. It was during this exchange that the Asst. Manager realized that I had phyiscal possession of the car. This angered the Asst Manager and stated that the car would be in default until I paid just under $1,000.00 in late charges. I then spoke with the branch manager, who said to look over my bank statements to be sure it had not been paid and overlooked, But that either way I was going to pay the full late charges now. My mother was very agitated & confused. Her one link to independance, her visa card, was now useless. As this is a Federal Credit Union I contacted the Federal Credit Union Office. A month later they wrote a letter to say, work out payment schedule. My Mother is on SSA & turning 84yrs old. I am between WC & SSD which mean I has 0 income. My husband is paying the car, our home, and everything in between.
Even if I had the money I am positive they are not entitled to $1,000.00 for a simple late charge. I made up the missing payment in full but the card is still frozen & now I am just waiting until they tow the car away, I am still making monthly payments in the mean time. Being legal does not always make it right.

Bernie57
Rochester, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/24/2008 11:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/esl-federal-credit-union/rochester-new-york-14617/esl-federal-credit-union-esl-credit-union-charges-over-90000-in-late-fees-for-31182-pa-343932. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

ESL credit union, car loans ripoffs

AUTHOR: Bernie57 - ()

POSTED: Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sorry they are still at the car repo game. In all I had to pay $2.400.00 just in late fees. It seems that as soon as my SSD money came in, people came out of the woodwork. It took 2 times to pay off the charges. Asked them to reinstated my mothers card the first time, nope it was an all or nothing deal. After that I could not pay that car off fast enough. A couple of years ago we purchased a new car, I made d**n sure it did not go through ESL. They decided it was just my Mom's car, but they made sure it affected My credit report.
I recommend emailing the National Credit Union, a part of the Federal Trade Commission. They would not help me, but it is worth the time. I hope you got your money back that you sent to them, they should not have gotten the payments along with the car. Just keep your report short and factual. Include any paperwork you have. It does not cost anything, but maybe if they get enough reports, somebody will notice and put a stop to these practises. Sorry for your raw deal, try to keep your head up and a belief in Karma.

#1 General Comment

ESL- Potentially Fraudulent Collections Department

AUTHOR: Lee - ()

POSTED: Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bernie,

I too, have suffered the rath of ESL.  I bought a vehicle in 2002, needed a cosignor and obtained my elderly Mother also.  Never discovered that they put my Mother as primary and myself as the cosignor until well into the loan.  Needless to say, around the 5th year on a 6 year loan, I fell behind in payments.  ESL sent a certified letter informing me that if I didn't make the delinquent payments, they would reposess the vehicle.  I had made the payments within 3 days and still have the receipts.  My situation differs, only in the fact that almost 3 weeks later, much to my surprise, ESL reposessed my car anyways!

Imagine my horror.  I immediately called and spoke with their Collections Manager who informed me that they took the car because "they could".  I was told that I did not have to be told any details about the auction process either.  This was devistating for me.  As a single parent, they took my lifeline also!  I've contacted a few attorneys locally, but none seem to want to help, although they feel that I have been  the victime of a personal attack.  What is one to do?  My car was taken back in 2007 and I still cannot find closure here.  I refuse to pay them one red cent!

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair