X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank - Bexley Ohio

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Canal Winchester Ohio
  • Fifth Third Bank 53.com Bexley, Ohio U.S.A.

Fifth Third Bank ripoff dishonest overdraft charges Bexley Ohio

We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
Ok - I've read a lot about the overdraft fees of 5/3. And please - don't post giving me some lecture on my irresponsible financial habits.

Two days ago, I checked the 5/3 web-site and to my dismay found that I was $150 overdrawn. I had written a check to someone in JANUARY that he just decided to deposit. My direct deposit pay check was due in on 3/15 (today), so I gathered up every cent I had and went on 3/14 to deposit $315. I deliberately took the deposit before noon and took it to the teller rather than the ATM. I asked the teller if I was going to get charged anything, or if there was more pending, and if this amount would cover it. She said yes, that it would cover it and I was ok. So I left thinking "Wow - dodged a bullet there!"

Then I got up on 3/15 and discovered that $330 had been charged to my account in over draft fees. Panic stricken I called the local 5/3 and after being on hold for 7 MINUTES (without any one checking to see if I was still there and able to hold), the branch manager said "Sorry, I had other customers" and proceeded to ask me what was wrong. I told him all of the above, and reminded him that an $1100 deposit was going to clear today 3/15. He proceeded to lecture me on personal finance and basically told me that I need to suck it up, it's all my fault, etc. He offered to refund a WHOPPING $66 back to my account. When I asked about any additional fees he said "oh yea, there's another $198 that will hit today."

I asked him to waive those in light of the fact that the $1100 was being deposited and he said he would talk to the branch that my account was opened at and see what he could do. I said no thanks, I'll call them. So now I'm on to branch manager #2. Not quite as worthless, but still rude and not helpful.

This branch manager said he could refund $150 back, but couldn't do anything about the pending charges, even though there was supposed to be a direct deposit because he "couldn't see it." But mind you - he could see all the pending transactions, as well as the $198 in pending fees. AMAZING how their computer system has selective sight. Oh, and he so kindly reminded me that 5/3 is for-profit. No kidding!

So - the resolution to this is that he'll refund my $150, but that's it. I'm definitely closing the account - like I should have 4 years ago when this happened to a friend.

To sum up my main complaints - Why in the H*&^ would you clear a debit before a credit? Why would you clear the larger items first, if not to just make money? Why would you allow a credit/debit card to continue working after an account is overdrawn? It all seems like it's just one big ploy to make 5/3 money.

Natalie
Canal Winchester, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2006 05:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/fifth-third-bank/bexley-ohio/fifth-third-bank-ripoff-dishonest-overdraft-charges-bexley-ohio-181415. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair