X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Home Depot- Atlanta Better Business Burearu - Hooksett New Hampshire

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Manchester New Hampshire
  • Home Depot- Atlanta Better Business Burearu 300 Quality Drive Hooksett, New Hampshire U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
I had a wooden fence around my backyard and pool that I needed to replace. I drew up a diagram of my house, yard, pool and existing fence. I labelled everything with their measurements. Then I totalled everything up and took the diagram to Home Depots "Pro" desk. I told them what I wanted to do and picked out the new vinyl fencing I wanted.

The "PRO" and the "Pro" desk did some calculations looked up some things in a catalog and gave me a parts list and cost to replace my fence. I took that quote to my bank and took out a home equity loan. They told me the fence would be in on a certain date so I placed the order and paid Home Depot. A day before the fence was scheduled to arrive I tore down all my old fence. When the fencing material arrived I began putting it up. At the end of the first day I was planning for the next days work when I realized there wasn't enough fencing to complete the job. My first thought was they must not have included all the fencing. I counted the fence sections and checked the order. All the fencing was there. It took a few minutes until I figured out the problem. The "PRO" and the "Pro" desk made a math error. When he converted from feet of fence to number of fence sections he divided by the wrong number. The result - I only had enough fence to enclose half my yard and no more money to buy more. This also meant I couldn't open my pool because it wasn't fenced in.

I contacted Home Depot and they sent two people out to investigate. They told me they would get back to me. I never heard from them again. I tried several times to contact them by phone and they simply refused to discuss the matter with me. I eventually had to purchase more fence to finish closing in the back yard. To add insult to injury - Home Depot was the only company that sold this fence so I had to buy it from them. Not only did they screw up the lenth calculation, they also forgot to add enough mounting hardware and post caps. I had to spend an additional $1,600.00.

I tried to cotact the Better Business Bureau in NH but Home Depot in Hooksett isn't a member. I contacted the BBB in Atlanta which is Home Depots headquarters. They are obviously in bed with Home Depot. They did nothing, closed my claim and even stopped responding to my emails. I will never trust Home Depot or the BBB again.

Roy
Manchester, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2008 07:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/home-depot-atlanta-better-business-burearu/hooksett-new-hampshire-03106/home-depot-thier-pro-desk-made-a-calculation-error-that-cost-me-money-hooksett-new-hampshi-375869. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
3Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#3 Consumer Suggestion

question

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, November 07, 2008
First off, always plan ahead, which means any repair or building project will always cost more money.

Secondly, you should have already had it calculated yourself before you went or

Thirdly, you could have hired a fencing company to build it, which by the way, would have cost you much more for time , lumber and labor than anything you bought at Home Depot.

What The "Pro Desk" Really Is

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Friday, November 07, 2008
The Pro Desk at Home Depot is not really there to completely plan out your projects for you. It's there to provide faster service to contractors who bring a lot of business to HD. The person who was helping you was really not at fault... you should have planned this out yourself; or at least double checked the recommendations of the HD associate. They are there to help you and recommend different options, not to be a free contracting consultant. To blame the store employee for your laziness or inability to plan your project is ridiculous. Next time pay the extra money and hire someone to do the job for you as you shouldn't be installing anything if you don't even know how much of something to buy before starting.

Never trust a complimentary service like the pro desk

AUTHOR: Josephal - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Monday, October 06, 2008
Always check their math and calculations if you ask them. Their math is not guaranteed.

Also, why did you take out a home equity loan and not include extra money for cost overruns? You should never get a loan for the exact amount of any construction project.

Yes it is the pro's mistake, but they did not overcharge you, they sold you less than you needed. I'm not sure what you expect. If they had overcharged you, it would be another matter, but they did not.

This is not really an appropriate rip-off report. You did not lose any money, you were not ripped off.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair