X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Home Depot - Raleigh North Carolina

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Raleigh North Carolina
  • Home Depot 4901 Capital Blvd Raleigh, North Carolina U.S.A.

Report about YOU
We can get those
removed for you!
Find out more here.
How to fix
Bought an Admiral brand window AC unit. After 1 week it died, we called the manufacturer and were told they were having problems with that unit and to return it for a refund. After arriving at the store in 100+ degree heat we were told that since we originally wrote a check for the unit over a week and a half ago we'd have to wait up to 15 more days before being able to obtain a refund even though they acknowledged the unit was defective. Instead we were told we could get "store credit" or another of the exact same brand, size, etc unit. We also called their corporate office and were told "sorry guys but that's our policy and it's just too bad"

These guys suck & I'll NEVER purchase anything at ANY Home Depot ever again. In addition the store employees were rude, disrespectful, and hateful.

Chuck
Raleigh, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2005 04:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/home-depot/raleigh-north-carolina-27616/home-depot-ripoff-store-credit-refund-policy-raleigh-north-carolina-151855. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
9Consumer
0Employee/Owner

I know it was your final reply....

AUTHOR: Leticia - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, September 27, 2005
But if your fiance has health problems that are aggrivated by extreme heat. Did you know that she could have had her doctor fill out a form and get a free air conditioner? I've known many people who have done that.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

My final reply

POSTED: Monday, September 26, 2005
Yes, I DO own 2 businesses, cokercreek.net and Health Turf Management Lawncare and I DO take checks for our services. The thing about Home Depot was that I had a bank statement showing the check had cleared a WEEK ago and so far as doing research on the product in advance it was middle of July, 100+ degrees, and their WEBSITE showed all MAYTAG ac units, NONE of which do they actually carry in their stores, bait & switch advertising. My fiance was having problems with the heat due to health issues & our landlord took 4 weeks to replace our central unit so "brand comparison was out of the question as this was an emergency. Glad I don't live in Alabama, lol

How about a little common sense here???

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, September 21, 2005
You say you own your own company ... would you give one of your customers a CASH REFUND without knowing first if their personal check is good or not? DIDN'T THINK SO ..

And, who pays by check nowadays anyway! Haven't you heard of a debit card? It works the same way, only you don't have to wait for transactions to clear (that means you get an instant refund).

If this particular brand "has problems" and the manufacturer is supposedly aware of such problems, why didn't you do your homework BEFORE making this purchase? No educated consumer would buy anything without first researching the quality of the manufacturer!

According to various internet weather sites, Raleigh, NC has had no 103+ degree days anytime in the recent past. Obviously you have a knack for exaggeration.

Either you have no common sense, don't really own a business, or are making this whole thing up in a failed attempt to scam Home Depot.

Never shopping at Home Depot ever again??? Okay buddy ... see you there next week then.

Home Depot made it right

POSTED: Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Charles here, Home Depot finally gave us the cash back, I DO NOW understand when making ANY large purchase NEVER USE A CHECK! Checks SUCK and they should be eliminated from society!

checks have become a pain..

AUTHOR: Krista - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, September 21, 2005
I never write checks because I hate waiting for them to clear and unlike some people, I know that for returns they are a huge pain and have to wait weeks to get a refund.

check cards/debit cards are the way to go. No questions about it, instant refunds, etc. I like HD, I like lowes better though.

Oh and everyone has special circumstances about something. If everyone tried to accomadate everyone elses special circumstances, then no one could run a business. Seeing that you suffer when in high heat maybe you should consider getting central A/C installed.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

To avoid this in the future

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, September 21, 2005
If you manage a large business, I'm sure you have your own problems with collecting payments. You have to see it from their point of view.

Don't want this to happen in the future? Use a debit/credit card. Voila, instant return.

Forgot to mention..

POSTED: Sunday, July 31, 2005
Forgot to include these bits of info-the day this happened it was 103 degrees AND Home Depot DIDN'T carry any other brands. Nothing that was on their website was in the store so switching brands was never an option. In addition, we had PROOF from our bank the check had cleared our account many days back, and I suffer from a neurological illness that is worsened by heat so this wasn't your usual kind of situation.So we ended up w/ another like AC unit which is now failing just like the other one. I've learned a great deal from this. I run my own large company and now know whatever policies I choose to invoke whether they be agreeable to the consumer or not, I can stick to them no matter what the situation is. My point is that this was an emergency and all we wanted was to go to Lowe's and get a different brand of unit, simple! Had Home Depot chose to handle it another way I'd have sung their praises all over, but the rude attitude and unprofesionalism displayed have made my wife & I LOWE'S shoppers from now on.

Got to agree. Home Depot had no idea if you stopped payment on the check

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, July 30, 2005
With Cory - Home Depot had no idea if you stopped payment on the check. closed the account, etc

I have shopped at Home Depot for years and never had a problem so if you do not like their policies then go somewhere else

A Couple Of Things

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Saturday, July 30, 2005
Almost all stores have the same policy when it comes to refunds on checks. In the past, stores have taken so many millions of dollars in bad checks. That's bad enough. But if a store was to give a cash refund on a check, there'd be millions more. That was kind of dumb on their part about offering to replace a known bad unit with another bad unit. They did offer a store credit.

It could of been used to purchase another A/C unit of a different MFG. Had to buy my mother-in-law a unit last year about this time. The pickings were slim, but there were different types at different stores. Ran into my first rude HD employee, for the first time in appox.

15 years, a couple of weeks ago. Surprised the heck out of me. It could be worse, you could have buy it at sears. Stopped shopping at sears years ago because they got so bad and switched to HD. Never looked back and have generally been happy with HD since.

What do hackers,
questionable attorneys and
fake court orders have in common?
...Dishonest Reputation Management Investigates Reputation Repair