Complaint Review: International Lawyers Association - Vancouver British Columbia

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Gullible but Hopeful — Georgia United States of America
  • International Lawyers Association
    600 de Maisonneuue Boulvard West Suitte 2200
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    United States of America

International Lawyers Association Lottery Scam, Fraud Vancouver, British Columbia

I received a letter in the mail saying that i won some kind of sweepstake and it included a cashier's check for $3945.00 from an account with Capital One Bank. it said that the check was mine but before I deposited it, I should call and get my claim activated.

First i called Capital One to see if they could verify that this check was real and was told that they couldn't tell me that information but my bank will.

I was sceptical but I called the number on the letter and was told that i won and i was asked for the refence number and the verification of my name. A Mr. John McLeod did not ask for any confidential information from me so i was starting to hope that it was not a scam.

He wanted me to call him after i deposited the check so that he could release the funds to the bank but i called him before i went and told him that i already went to see what he would say. The only thing he said was that everything was great and that he would release the funds. I was expecting him to ask for my account information or any other confidential information but he didn't.

I went to my bank, Wachovia,  and ask them to check if the check was real, and if it was, I wanted to deposit it. She made her call, faxed the letter and check to whoever and after about 10 mins told me that it was a fraud and that Mr. John Mcleod probably wanted me to send some money back to him after it was cashed.

It was a fraud. So if you get a letter from the International Lawyers Association, beware! I wanted to put this in here because i googled the company to see if i would see scam or fraud alerts on them and didn't. Hopefully next person will see this entry.

Beware of the International Lawyers Association of 600 de Maisonneuue Boulevard West Suite 2200 Vancouver, BC Tel/Fax 1-604-773-2778, 1-778-865-7525, Michael Newton, John Mcleod and Joan Kennedy

See a copy of the letter and the check. The check didn't have void on it until i went to the bank and they found it to be a fraud.

Good Luck

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2010 12:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/international-lawyers-association/vancouver-british-columbia-/international-lawyers-association-lottery-scam-fraud-vancouver-british-columbia-605763. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content