X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Liberty Wireless - Nationwide

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: San Antonio Texas
  • Liberty Wireless customerservice@libertywireless.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Liberty Wireless ripped me off I have spent hours and hours on the telephone with these people and they promise to fix things but nothing happens. ripoff Nationwide *EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back into your bank account!

*Author of original report: Still no resolution to problem after 3 months

Back in December 2004, a friend of mine asked if she could use my debit card number to apply for a cell phone. She told me that nothing would be charged to the card because the phones were free. She said they just needed a credit number on the file. She even showed me the total on the order and the total was zero. She applied for an AT & T account. There was a box to check on the order to receive Liberty Wireless phones if she was not approved by AT & T. She indicated that she did not want the phones if AT & T declined her.

Well, then a couple of days later I had 4 pending transactions for $107.94 on my bank account. This was on December 20th. This meant that $431.76 of my money was tied up by Liberty Wireless. Nice Christmas present from them, now I had no money to buy Christmas presents.

My friend contacted Liberty Wireless to find out why my card was charged when it was supposed to be a zero charge. Well, even though she didn't want the Liberty Wireless phones, they decided to ship them anyway. She told them to cancel the order and credit my money back. She was told that the pending transactions would NOT go through, because Liberty Wireless would not submit them for payment.

Well of course, my account was debited for the money. Their customer service people insisted the whole thing was system error. They acknowledged that it was their fault that the phones were ordered even though my friend did not want their service but this didn't get my money back to me quickly. They told me they would also credit my overdraft fees back to me since I would have had enough money in my bank account to cover my charges if they had not debited my account. I was told to fax them copies of my bank statement to show them the overdraft fees.

Finally on January 10th, they amazingly enough credited my account for the phone charges but not my overdraft fees. I have now faxed three times and I still have not been credited $60 for my fees. I have spent hours and hours on the telephone with these people and they promise to fix things but nothing happens.

Do not ever do business with this company. By the way, I will never again let someone use my debit card for anything since I am the one who had to suffer!!

Michelle
San Antonio, Texas

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!

HERE IS WHAT RIP-OFF REPORT SUGGESTS YOU DO:

Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off Report.com. And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder, Rip-off Report.com & Author of www.ripoffrevenge.com
EDitor@RipoffReport.com
badbusinessbureau.com
www.ripoffreport.com

Don't let them get away with it.
Make sure they make the Rip-off Report!

We are not lawyers.
We are not a collection agency.

We are Consumer Advocates.
...the victims' advocate

WE are Civil and Human Rights Activists

We are a Worldwide Consumer Reporting News Agency
...by consumers, for consumers

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2005 01:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/liberty-wireless/nationwide/liberty-wireless-ripped-me-off-i-have-spent-hours-and-hours-on-the-telephone-with-these-pe-131035. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Still no resolution to problem after 3 months

AUTHOR: Michelle - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Thursday, March 24, 2005
Liberty Wireless still has not reimbursed the two overdraft fees that they caused. They caused overdrafts by debiting my account without any authorization. I have made hundreds of phone calls and I have faxed them at least 10 times.