Complaint Review: New York International Independent Film And Video Festival (aka) NYIIFVF - New York New York

• Submitted: Fri, November 28, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, November 28, 2003
  • Reported By: Pacifica California
  • New York International Independent Film And Video Festival (aka) NYIIFVF
    163 3rd Avenue Suite 231
    New York, New York

New York International Independent Film And Video Festival - NYIIFVF RIPOFF $300 Entry fee Opening Night Booth $600-$5000 Salesmen calling you New York New York

This festival charges $300 entry fee (most charge $20-$55; $55 being Sundance) They say you get it back if you don't get in: Maybe true but (hint, everyone gets in) This November they had 300 films - that's $90,000 of revenue from entry fees alone!! And they have many more festivals that just this one.

Then they have people calling you all the time, asking to buy packages - The main one is a booth at their opening night in beautiful Madison Square Gardens! Sounds awesome, but it's not. The booth is a small table that is among other small tables in a room upstairs. And everyone is a filmakker there.

So you are trying to get all of the other filmmakers to see your movie. And the booth costs anywhere from $600-$5000!!! I got the fabulous Silver package which was $1250.

Only 14 people came to see my movie. Sad. I know, I know, I'm stupid, But I had just finished my movie and was desparate to get it in to any festival. But now they have an ARTS FESTIVAL and a MUSIC FESTIVAL!!! More to milk money out of other poor artists. And now they expanded to:

L.A., Las Vegas, and Miami.

I've submitted to about 20 other festivals, and I've only gotten into a few, that's the way it works. I'm not going to complain about those. I never ever complain about anything. In my entire life, in every restaurant I've ever eaten, I have never complained. I even ate a cornbeef sandwich with mustard on it when I ordered Turkey: and I hate mustard.

But this is something I think is wrong, this festival preys on filmmakers and their dreams. But don't listen to me, check into it yourself.

Spend the money you would spend on this festival on something you need like promoting your festival... or paying rent

Derrick
New York, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2003 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/new-york-international-independent-film-and-video-festival-aka-nyiifvf/new-york-new-york-10003/new-york-international-independent-film-and-video-festival-nyiifvf-ripoff-300-entry-fee-73348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content