X  |  CLOSE

• PayPal Internet USA

PayPal Even without a PayPal account, PayPal can screw you. Internet

*Author of original report: RE: PayPal Phone Number

*Consumer Suggestion: Paypal phone number

Having have some negative experiences with PayPal as an eBay user, years ago, I decided that I didn't want a PayPal account.  For a long time that appeared to be a good decision, which avoided the various other PayPal issues I've heard so many other complain about over the years.  However, I am noticing more an more web-vendors who have decided to use PayPal as their credit-card processing service, and that has brought PayPal problems right back home.

The problem is that I cannot use my major credit card to make a purchase from any website that uses PayPal to process the card.  The card is rejected, with the message "This credit card cannot be used to make this purchase; please use another credit card."

The credit card is in good standing; I've had it for more than 20 years; there is a huge credit limit on it that I've never even come close to using.  I use the card regularly to make purchases both on- and off-line, without incident.  The ONLY time there is a problem is when a site uses PayPal to process the card.  I've called the bank that manages the card, and they can find no reason why the card shouldn't be accepted for any of the on-line purchases I've attempted to make with it.  The bank advises that the issue must be with PayPal.

I have tried to contact PayPal to get this situation rectified, without success.  For starters, I've never been about to uncover a direct customer service email address, phone number, or mailing address.  Mind you, there -is- a link at their home website that provides email and phone contact information.  Going through these channels elicits a series of robo-responses, none of which has addressed my issue, which appears to be off their pre-programmed customer "service" flow-chart.  Part of the problem is that the only way to report an issue is to start by making selections from a pre-set menu of choices that PayPal presents.  If your issue isn't on the menu (mine isn't), the only thing you can do is try to selected the nearest relevant choice and hope for the best.

Hah!

Here's an example:  my most recent attempt to resolve this problem (I've been trying off and on for more than four years) was by email:

The closed menu selection was "wy was my credit card denied?"  This brings us a pre-set menu of responses, **all** of which assume that I have a PayPal Account, which I don't.  Even if I did, none of the responses are helpful:

"1) Contact your credit card issuer directly"  [I did; they said the problem was with PayPal.]

"2) "Try using the card again." [Doesn't matter how many times I try it, after the 15th try or so it became pretty obvious that PayPal wasn't going to allow the card.

"3) "Link your bank acount to PayPal." {R-i-g-h-t.  Can't do it, because I don't have a PayPal account; wouldn't do it even if I did have a PP account.]

"4) "Link a different credit card to your PayPal account." [Since I have NO card linked to a PP account -- because I don't have a PP account -- I can't "link another card" to my non-existent account.]

All this, mind you, -before- I can get to a place where I can send an actual email to PayPal.  Finally I get to the email page -- and PayPal trys to suck me into opening an account.  I refuse, and go to the accountless email complaint section.  I have to make a menu selection; the closed item is "Bank Account/Credit Card".  Then I have to make a selection from a submenu.  The only two choices are "Bank Account -- add/remove/edit" and "Credit Card/Debit Card -- add/remove/edit"

NONE of these fit, and ALL of them assume that **I have a PayPal account** -- even though this is supposed to be the place where people /without/ a PayPal account bring PayPal issues for resolution.  Nonetheless, I selected the "Credit Card" option, and wrote a detailed description of the issue in the box provided.

The next day I got a robo-response from PayPal, advising me that they were "replacing the coupons" I had contacted them about.  Huh?  They asked if my problem had been solved, so I said "no" and sent a return message.

I received a second robo-email, stateing that they couldn't quite understand what my issue was, but that I should stated it in more detail -- which I did -- and submit the explanation to an different email address which they provided.  I did this.

Next day I got another robo-response saying that the best way to resolve credit card issues with PayPal was to follow a link (which they gave) and **log in to my PayPal account**.    Now, the very first thing I told them, at every step of this process, was that I **did not have** a PayPal account; nor did I wish to start a PayPal account.  I navigated to their link, but couldn't go any further, becasue I didn't have an account to log into.

I tried sending yet another detailed explanation to the address of teh third email, only to have it bounce back with a message that this was a "no-reply" email address, and that if I needed further assistance I should **log in to** [my non-existent] **PayPal account**.

And there it sits, to this day.  I've been through a similar email-cycle at least a half-dozen times, with minor variations, depending on which menu choices I made prior to my attempted complaint.  I went through similar experiences over the phone, twice.

Bottom line:  If an online merchant uses PayPal to verify the credit card in question, I cannot use the card.  I can't get PayPal to fix the problem, because I can't reach PayPal by any means that connects me with someone capable of understanding what the problem IS.  And the net result is, I don't shop with those on-line merchants.

Lately, I've taken to contacting the merchants themselves when this happens, and explaining that they've lost my business thanks to PayPal's idiocy and enforced anonymity.  Most have responded and appologized, but either weren't in a position to change anything, or felt like they didn't really have any options other than PayPal.  A few offered to take my order over the phone, and process my credit card manually.  Whenever this was done, the credit card wnet through immediately, with no problems.

Unfortunately, I see more and more on-line merchants using this PayPal service,  Some of them are places selling rather specialized items, for which there are not a lot of alternative sources.  Because of PayPal, I can't make on-line purchases from these vendors.

The real problem is that there seems to be no way to get through to an actual *human being* at PayPal to fix this situation.  Probably, it wouldn't be that difficult to fix, provided I could talk with someone capable of understanding the issue.  But PayPal has thrown up a wall of anonymity and robotics which apparently keep them well protected from such annoying concerns as actually providing customer service.

Don;t know what further to do about this, and I'm not even sure if anything further can be done about is.  But at this point I'm disgusted enough to want to make sure that others are aware that PayPal can reach out to screw you, even if you don't have and don't want an account or any dealings with them.  Pretty sad.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2015 07:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/paypal/internet/paypal-even-without-a-paypal-account-paypal-can-screw-you-internetnbsp-1211727. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

RE: PayPal Phone Number

AUTHOR: - ()

POSTED: Monday, March 09, 2015

Thanks, Aggy.  I actually did get through to PayPal on that number.  Unfortunately, the result was exactly the same as every other contact I've had with them about this issue.  I spent 90 minutes on the phone (most of it on hold), talked with three different people; had to repeat the entire story from square-one to each person.  In the end, they told me to call my bank (which I've done several times; the bank tells me the problem is with PayPal), and they sent me an email for further contact.  Here is the complete text of the email:

FROM PAYPAL:

------

We want to help you but we're not able to respond directly to emails sent to this address.

One of the best ways to get answers to your questions is to go to the PayPal website and visit the Help Center by clicking "Help" at the top of the page. If you have a problem with limited access to your account, you'll need to:

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your PayPal account.

2. Click "Resolution Center" at the top of the page.

3. Follow the instructions in "Steps to Remove Limitations."

If you can't log in to your account, you'll need to:

1. Go to the PayPal website.

2. Click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.

3. Click "Contact Customer Service."

4. Click "Continue" and follow the instructions. We value your business and want to provide you with the best customer care.

Thanks, PayPal

------

Once again, the robomail **assume I have a PayPal account**, which I don't.

To update the most recent fiasco:  I directly contacted the merchant with which I had the most recent PayPal credit card verification fiasco.  As has been typical in the past, the merchant appologized profusely, said that it's happened to other customers occasionally, and then took my order over the phone, **with the same credit card**, which worked just fine once PayPal was no longer involved.

I've gone in this same circle so many times I'm getting dizzy!

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Paypal phone number

AUTHOR: aggy - (USA)

POSTED: Friday, March 06, 2015

I have reach coustomer serivice using the the following number.

443-921-1996   Hope it works for you. (They picked up the phone immediately.)

Investigates Reputation Repair