X  |  CLOSE

Complaint Review: Pizza Hut - Youngstown Ohio

• Submitted:
  • Updated:
  • Reported By: Girard Ohio
  • Pizza Hut Belmont Ave. Youngstown, Ohio U.S.A.

On Friday, September 5, 2008, at around 5:20 P.M., we ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut, located on Belmont Ave in Liberty, OH. We ordered a large hand-tossed style pizza with pepperoni. A girl named Shaquela took our call. We were told it would be $9.99 and would be ready in 15 minutes. Keep in mind that we have ordered from Pizza Hut several time in the past and ordered this same pizza several times. It is my favorite pizza, reminds me of Cleveland's Little Italy pizza. I especially love it with pepperoni and sausage.

Well, when we brought the pizza home, I noticed a couple things wrong with it. First, the box. It seemes much smaller than in the past. Just to be sure, I opened it up and saw to my amazement that the pizza was smaller than normal. I ordered a large and they gave me a medium. We took out the measuring tape and it was 13" in diameter. The one we usually get is 15" to 16" (a large). Right away I called the store where we got it and asked to speak with someone about it. I don't know his name, but I got the manager on the phone. I told him what we ordered and what we got. The receipt said large. He said he remembered them making a large. I told him I was expecting a 16". He sdaid that is an extra large and hasn't been on the menu for 2 years. Two years? I have ordered two of them since June and they were both bigger than this! He said that I could bring it back, he'll look at it, and if it is a medium, he'll replace it with a large. I did not have them time, since there were people who had to be at work by 7 and we were ready to eat. The food was getting cold. They probably would have given us $2.00, the difference in price between a large and a medium. We did not have time to wait around for them to make another pizza for us.

Even the taste was not as good. It seemed like the just threw it in the oven to heat it up. Very poor quality, this pizza. I know for a FACT it was a medium. I eat 2 1/2 slices and I am stuffed. This particular pizza that day, I ate 3 and was still a bit hungry. I knew something was up. Next time, we will look at the pizza before I leave the joint. If it's not what I ordered, I will say something about it. When I order next time, I will ask for the largest they have. Beware of these people trying to stiff you!

Mrvince316
Girard, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/07/2008 08:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/pizza-hut/youngstown-ohio-44505/pizza-hut-pizza-hut-gave-me-the-wrong-sized-pizza-and-said-i-was-wrong-youngstown-ohio-370575. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
12Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Customer Hotline

AUTHOR: Liz - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Well, it's a nice suggestion to think that if you made a complaint on the consumer hotline that something might get done about it. Trust me, from personal experience, they don't do anything with regards to complaints that they get. I made two complaints, two weeks apart, about the same incident and didn't get so much as a pitiful little automated email about it or a robotic phone call back.

It's useless to try the Pizza hut hotline.

The situation with the pizza being smaller than it was supposed to be stinks too. I'm not sure what to tell you there. Maybe you could try Papa Johns, Dominoes, Donatos or a local chain. Papa Johns is far less greasy than Pizza hut and comparably priced too. Same with Dominoes.

Hopefully, if you order from that Pizza Hut again, you might get what you pay for.

Pizza Hut's Declining Quality

AUTHOR: Kristen - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, October 22, 2008
I have to agree with Proud Swift. I used to love Pizza Hut but their consistently poor performance drove me into the arms of Domino's (which I used to HATE). Furthermore, to read a comment from a "General Manager" who has the grammatical skills of a 4th grader and see that he has the unprofessionalism to make the remarks that were made is somewhat egregious.

It's not responsibility of the consumer to make sure that the employee is listening carefully and entering the correct order. So what he was quoted a total of $9.99 and large pizzas cost more? For all he knew, there was a sale or a special offer going on. That's not his job as a consumer to analyze what a business or a representative of a business is quoting him in terms of price for a product.

To Mrvince, although I see where the manager tried to make it right, I'd say that better than a Rip-Off Report is to let everyone know about their poor service and never patronize them again. Also, if you must stay with Pizza Hut, make use of the customer satisfaction hotline and don't deal with the people in the store.

Have you ever thought....

AUTHOR: Boopsie - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, October 01, 2008
I am a General Manager of a Pizza Hut south of the store you purchased from. And I have to say that I honestly think your "rip off" report is outreagiously rediculous. A large one topping costs $13.99 unless you have a cupon (which you did not state that you used a cupon on your order). A large is 14 inches where a medium is 12. If it were pan crust it rises and fits snugly in the pan if prepped correctly, and for hand tossed (which is what kind of dough the "XTRA LARGE" full house that is 15-16 inches is made from) cannot be stretched more than the 14 inch pan because it would make your crust deformed from the lip or edge of the pan itself. The price you paid was for a medium one topping. If it were 13 inches it was probably a large, just not stretched enough.

If the one you always pay for was 15-16 inches then YOU should have realized the price difference. The Full house is 16.99 and only carried in select locations. The store you purchased from was probably a franchise therefor they do not have to carry the same products that Pizza Hut corperate carries. My store has not had the 16 inch hand tossed full house for approx. 2 years now either.

I have another thing to bring up as well. If you were calling to complain, why did you NOT get the manager's name in whom you spoke to??? PHONEY COMPLAINT MAYBE??? He offered to make it right, and you should have taken him up on it, let the ones that were leaving for work eat that one and picked up the other on later... or at least asked for a credit for the following time. And it really doesn't take that long to make a pizza. I don't know about other Pizza Hut's oven belts, but the three locations I have worked at are all set to 7-9 minutes, which is why we quote 15 minute carry out times (20 for heavy volume). I dont think you would have been "waiting around for another pizza" for as long as you thought. I'm sure you spent more time typing this complaint.

My advice to you...Go back to the Pizza Hut where you purchase your 16 INCH XTRA LARGE FULL HOUSE and make sure to check the box before you leave.

Open your ears, people!

POSTED: Saturday, September 27, 2008
Pickledleprechaun,
Yes, I know there are no medium pizza that cost $9.99, they are $7.99. I did not use a coupon; I ordered a large with one topping for the full menu price of $9.99. Yes, I do agree that the manager should have made right on the situation, which he failed to do. And the last time I checked, getting ripped-off is not getting what you paid for. Let me spell it out for you...again. I ordered a large. I got a MEDIUM. A MEDIUM is SMALLER than a LARGE! So...I got less than what I paid for. In other words, I did not get my hard-earned money's worth. I think you would have to agree that qualifies for a rip-off. It's a dead ringer if I ever saw one! Just wait...some day it'll happen to you. Then you'll know how it feels to be cheated and pushed aside...

Clarification

AUTHOR: Pickledleprechauns - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, September 21, 2008
None of our medium pizzas cost 9.99. What the other manager was trying to say, that you didn't get, was that you got charged for a medium pizza (with coupon pricing, to boot) and are moaning about getting "ripped off" by receiving said medium pizza when you requested a large. The manager should have apologized for the misunderstanding and assure that you were, in fact, only charged for a medium and, if not, offer you a credit for next time. But he didn't, whatever. The point is you're complaining about something you're not even the victim of. You were not charged for something you did not receive. The end.

No certificate was offered, no apology.

POSTED: Friday, September 12, 2008
Cat,
First of all, no apology was ever given. Never once did I hear the words "I'm sorry" come out of the managers mouth during our brief conversation over the phone. Secondly, he never offered a coupon or certificate of any kind to me. I was not expecting one, but that would have been nice. I did not ask for one, either. As for personal responsibility, it was THEIRS to make sure the order was correct. By the way, I was not the one who picked the pizza up. So, that kind of puts the big kibosh on checking it before leaving. Hope this clarifies things for you.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Learn to accept an apology

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Wednesday, September 10, 2008
They redialy agreed to make it right. I understand not having a time, but rather than crying "rip off" you say Thank you and get an certificate for a pizza next time or just move on. I do not understand the lack of personal responsiblity. It is YOUR responsiblity to check out the pizza before you leave, or before the delivery guy leaves. It is your choice not to go back, yes that is right "YOUR CHOICE".

Do you do things PERFECT in your daily lives? Do you never ever have to apologize? I do not understand why you people here cryigng "rip off" that if the company offered to make it right, then it is your choice to decide to take it or not. IF it was offered, it is plain WRONG to then scream "rip off".

To John, Peter, and Pizzahutmanagers- a panacea of clarification

POSTED: Wednesday, September 10, 2008
John- No Dominos near me. As for counting my blessings and others' hardships, that has nothing to do with what happened to me. We work for our money and what we have and when someone stiffs us, we have the right to get angry.

Peter- He did offer. We had no time to go back to the store and wait around another half hour for a pizza. I just want people to know what's going on out there and to watch for stuff like this. It is also important to tell people to check their order thoroughly before leaving the store. I hope they can learn from my example.

Pizzahutmanagers- I thought the pizza would be the same as it was the last time I ordered and the time before that and the time before that, etc. (you get the idea). No, they gave us a medium for a LARGE price. I did call them up and bring it to their attention. I'm not cheating anyone. Rather, it's the other way around...Don't you understand I am the victim here? I was in food service for 6 years. I never once clocked out at the end of the shift worring if everyone got what they came for. We made darn sure they did. The customer must be put first, at all costs. They're the reason for businesses. If it wasn't for them, you guys wouldn't be around. So, you might as well go write a book or something...take the hint.

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Pizzahutmanagers - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Tuesday, September 09, 2008
You ordered a Large Pizza. The person on the phone quoted you $9.99. What did you THINK it would be? You knew the price difference between a medium and large (you stated that in your report). Sounds like you were just as happy to receive a large for $9.99, and just upset that they in reality did not screw you, you were just trying to get something for nothing. Kudos. Sure, Pizza Hut gave you a medium for medium price when you ordered a large, but it's your fault for not saying something. I'm the Lead Shift Manager at a store, and deal with customers like you all the time. Grow up, and stop trying to cheat the system then getting pissed when it doesn't work.

What's your beef??

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, September 07, 2008
So you voiced a complaint, the manager offered to make things right, but that wasn't good enough for you and so now you are crying rip off?

What's your beef??

pizza hut has gown down the drain...

AUTHOR: Proud Swift Trucker Team - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, September 07, 2008
i hear you....i have always loved pizza hut until last year....my hubby and i went to pizza hut....we ordered pizza and bread sticks and 2 drinks. we waited half an hour and still no bread sticks...i asked them and they said oh we forgot...so they made them and 5 minutes later comes the pizza and sticks. well....they were brought out by an employee with very nasty ungroomed facial hair who was holding our food up next to his chest (against his body) so the he could drink his open soda cup (no straw or lid) directly over our food.... i went to complain and the manager didnt want to believe it. i also complained about the cleanliness of the place...there was enough food on the floor to make 10 pizzas in the lobby...wasnt noticed at door way...noticed after ordering. mind you the place had about 4 customers. so after vowing to never eat at that particular one...we have now found that all pizza hut establishments are losing all quality what so ever...you arent the only one with bad or wrong food...best of luck next time

re:

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

POSTED: Sunday, September 07, 2008
So ####### go to Dominoes next time....

Count your blessings...there are people all over the world with far greater problems (like not having anything to eat) than your tragic pizza problems....