AOL Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: AOL

There may be more reports for "AOL"

For more results perform a general search for "AOL"

Showing 26-50 of 1,889 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "AOL"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Jun 20 2011
AOL America Online-Time Warner AOL charging without authorization Internet
I have not been an AOL user in many years. However, when I looked at my bank statement this month (June, 2011), I noticed a $32.90 charge from AOL Service. So, clearly, they are taking money from my checking account without authorization. I attempted to notify them, but they don't have a readily available complaint department. I stopped payment with my bank for all future payments, but I have a feeling I have no chance of getting back the money that they've stolen from me.
Entity: , Internet
27, Report #209890
Sep 07 2006
AOL deceptive business practices, AOL are liars!! Ripoff Internet
America Online aka AOL are ripoffs! I signed up with AOL for 6 months free. I didn't update my credit card info, so I had to close my account and I thought that was the end of it. Well....1 month ago (a whole year later!), I received a letter in the mail stating that I owe them $50.00. The first thing that I wanted to know is if I owed them $50.00 for cancelling, why am I just now receiving the letter? I called the customer service number and asked this same question. At first the CSR tried to get me to remain an AOL customer. When I refused, he transferred me to the billing department that left me on hold forever. If anyone is thinking about signing up for AOL....think twice because they only care about keeping you as a customer; even if it means using unlawful bait and switch tatics! Chaka Inkster, MichiganU.S.A.
Mar 07 2006
AOL AOL IS TRYING TO RUIN MY CREDIT, RIPOFF Internet
I cancelled my service with AOL in October of 2005. While on the phone with the sales person, he informed me that I was still under my free trial. I insisted that my service was to be cancelled immediately and I received a number and everything. When I received my credit card statement, I saw a charge for $23.90 dated the same day I cancelled my account. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and they refunded the amount and finance charges. Ever since then I have been receiving bills from AOL. I have tried to talk to the operators and I have even written letters. I'm afraid to contact them by e-mail, because they will probably sign me back up. I have now been referred to a collection agency and I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep fighting over $23.90. What do I need to do to prove to them that I don't owe this money? Abby Little Rock, ArkansasU.S.A.
Entity:
Dec 08 2007
AOL Internet TWX*AOL NY NY NY
TWX*AOL Wile i was eway in hospital aol draw from my credit card NO. $17.95 US from a canadian acount...=$19.35 can. From nov 2005....to 07 nov 2007 34 mois X $17.95 us = $610.30 .....+....exchange...? I cancel aol on dec. 2005 cancellation no. 1015147531 confirmation I cancel my credit card . Jusdan Sorel-Tracy, QuebecU.S.A.
Feb 12 2003
AOL ripoff HORRIBLE AOL SERVICE Internet
i HAVE BEEN TRYING SINCE dECEMBER 2002 TO GET AOL TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT AND STOP TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT. I SPENT ALL DAY MONDAY.....THEY ASSURED ME THAT IS WAS CANCELED AND THAT THEY WOULD NOT ACCESS MY ACCOUNT AGAIN. GUESS WHAT!!!! THEY TOOK MY MONEY OUT THE VERY DAY I SPOKE WITH THEM IS THIS NOT STEALING? I AM GOING TO DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER......TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THIS HORRIBLE AOL SERVICE... Kathryn henderson, NevadaU.S.A.
Oct 23 2016
AOL AOL Fraud Unauthorized Credit Card Charge Internet
Used a credit card to pay small charge to magazine subscription one-time only. AOL found the email on Gmail account, used credit card to charge/slam me $9.99 for a Privacy program they are scamming with....I did not sign-up for the program and have never used a credit card of any kind with AOL for any purpose. My telephone line is Frontier (horrible) and I pay for internet services with them, but never by credit card. How did they get my credit card info to unauthorized charge me??? Called AOL and complained that they used a credit card I did not provide them. I was told by their representative that the credit card information was 'collected' from a Gmail email account I use regularly to pay for a service that AOL is signing-up people with... The ONLY purchase I have made with that particular credit card was for $1.06 with a magazine subscription two weeks earlier. Rep told me that AOL got the credit card info from my Gmail account email. They literally SEARCHED my email for a credit card to use without my authorization. I never used that credit card for any other charge except the $1.06! AOL conducts FRAUDULENT business activities and charges cards without the owner's permission. I have PROOF that they dig thru emails for credit card information without the permission of the owner or the credit provider. In this case, a Capital Venture card which has been deactivated.
Jan 28 2004
AOL ripoff, frauduleny billing Dulles Virginia
well, my mom handles my finances, which includes my credit card bills. i never look at them (but i will start to now)so, i decided to look at my statement for the month of Dec 03. then i see a charge from AOL for 23.90. im thinking this is insane! i have road runner. so i look up my past statements, and when i found out that i was being charged that amount and sometimes more since AUG 03 i was really pissed. the same VA phone number (866-215-7772) came up on my billing statement. and the weird thing is that my credit card which was being used expired AUG 03 and i didnt renew with the CC company. so im also wondering how the hell they kept on charging that account number till today. ill call them after this AOL thing is dealt with. ill never get another account with this CC company either. discover, there i said it. what AOL needs is a class action lawsuit! Juan ruskin, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Dulles, Virginia
Jan 29 2004
AOL Traveling ripoff! USA
I singed up for Aol Traviling, Then notified them I was no longer instreated in reciving their service, and was still billed out of my account at the amount of $89.00 the onely way to stop is to open new acount. Why! Mark Vilas, North CarolinaU.S.A.
May 10 2003
AOL ripoff business from hell Internet Nationwide
aol was supose to disconet acount. they said it would be 2 weeks before they could. they did discounect and started charging for a secound one. it was never used they still have not canceled the secound acount and said i had to pay it or it would go on my credit. it has cost over $100. i recomend never geting aol Stacy westuion, South CarolinaU.S.A.
Dec 20 2003
Aol Netmarketing ripoff Trumbull Connecticut
I cancelled AOL Netmarketing membership months ago, before the 3 month free trial was over. Recently I got a statement from my bank that I was charged for 2 NSF fees because they had tried to take the money (79.99 membership fee) from my account. I called AOL Netmarketing to complain about this. They were nice and asked me to Fax the bank statement and they would refund the NSF charges. At that time I had made it perfectly clear that I did not want the membership. The day I got that statement in the mail from the bank, I got a notice of a 3rd NSF charge from Aol Netmarketing trying to again withdrawl the 79.99. I faxed all 3 statement of fees to them. I called AOL after I faxed these statements, then and only then did they give me a cancellation number. That same day I called my bank and was informed that I had 2 more NSF charges (for a total of 5 now) from AOL Netmarketing once again trying to withdrawl their fee. I was very upset and called to talk to a supervisor who was very rude and informed me that they were not responsiable for my NSF fees because I didnt have a cancelliation number prior to the date the fees were charged to my account. A week after the date of the cancellation I got another charge (now a total of 6). what a ripoff. In short AOL Netmarketing is a ripoff. Months after people have cancelled their membership they still take the membership fee out of their account (or attempt to) costing that person money and hardships. Patricia middleburg, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Trumbull, Connecticut
Jan 12 2004
AOL Ripoff unauthorized Credit card charge Internet
I have been charged for AOL online services when I don't use them at all I don't even know how they got my credit card number because I sure would never give it to them. I guess everyone knows what it is like to try to contact them. No email response, an hour on hold. Somebody needs to get a big lawsiut going on their butt Class Action! The lawyers would get rich so if you know any good ambulance chasers out there let them know! Mark Nicholasville, KentuckyU.S.A.
Dec 27 2003
AOL ripoff ripped me off Nationwide
Can not cancel aol account, they keep billing me for service after i have cancel the free trial i have my cancelation number, AOL is a ripoff, it looks like they do this alot. billing department does not have a clue about what is going on, AOL sucks Steven hot springs, North CarolinaU.S.A.
Apr 23 2005
AOL ripoff Internet
AOL has charged me four times in one month for the same service. They also included a $5.00 extra charge for something I did not authorize, something about using my checking account and routing no. They also attached what is called a spin-off account whereby charging me an additional $28.90 on top of the $28.90 for internet service. The regular monthly charge is supposed to be $23.90. I called to cancel my account in Feb. 05, and was convinced it would be to my benefit if I stay w/AOL under what is called the dsl/broadband internet for $9.95 a month, with one free trial month. Well, I did not get that one month free nor did they charge me the $9.95 a month. Instead they have changed the amount to $28.90, and to make it WORSE, they charged me FOUR times in March for the same thing!!! One transaction for $57.80 (28.90x2=57.80)and charged me TWO MORE TIMES in the same month of March! A total of 4 transactions of $28.90!!!! And this month they charged me twice for $28.90! I was able to speak to someone who was willing to discuss this AWFUL situation yesterday but they were still not able to explain to me what exactly happened! And why I was being charged continuously for the same thing! And why the spin-off account was added, and why the 5.00 additional fee was added! The only thing they were willing to do was refund me for three months for the spin-off account. They checked and saw that it had not been used once since its creation. They would not refund me for all five months, something about their policy not being able to refund more than a certain amount. I cancelled the account, succesfully, I hope! And although the charge for April to May was put through just the day before, they were not able to refund me - even though I cancelled ONE DAY after the transaction went through! So I'm stuck with one more month of AOL whether I want it or don't use it or whatever. Totally unfair. To add to the nightmare, their quadruple charging and double-charging has caused my account to create two overdrafts, with the bank charging me two overdrafts at $28.00 each time! I realize I'm rambling - I'm so angry it's difficult to write this without going off the handle... believe me, i was totally confused myself! I wish I had paid close attention to what AOL was doing earlier! I can imagine there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people who are not aware of the money that is being taken out of their accounts on a monthly basis...for services and/or goods they did not authorize or purchase. Ramie Seattle, WashingtonU.S.A.
Feb 23 2005
AOL ignores cancellation Jacksonville Florida
I got a call from AOL, telling me that I owed them money. At least that's what I think they were saying, the person spoke very little english, and I had to ask her to spell words several times. I told her my account was cancelled last September. She apologized. Then I received an invoice for 4 months of AOL, 4 months after cancelling. Not a peep from AOL in between September and February. Called the 800 number on the invoice, spoke with very polite Debbie from who-knows-what country, who put me on hold for a while. She said she found the cancellation, but didn't have the authority to cancel the bill. She gave me an address to write to. It was the same address written to in September. So I called another 800 number. This time Pauline, with less english ability than the others directed me to call a 3rd 800 number. Third try through the phone maze I was connected to someone (again very polite) who spoke excellent english. She asked for my phone number, but said the system didn't recognize it. So how did they call me? She asked me again for my name. Now my name didn't appear on the account either. So why did they contact me with that collection threat, if my name isn't on the account? Is the only reason for the bill because the credit card used to pay for the service was cancelled at the same time as the AOL account, so they couldn't take the money themselves? Diane Oberlin, OhioU.S.A.
Entity: Jacksonville, Florida
Feb 01 2005
AOL ripoff poor customer service Internet
I cancelled my aol account in early December, before the billing cycle. I found out they did not cancel it so I called them to cancel again in January and demand my money back. I called my bank the following day to see if AOL had placed the funds back into my account little I new that I was charged a overdraft fee for money that AOL should not have taken out from my account. I am now fighting with AOL to get the 30.00 fee issued back into my account and they are advising me that they will not be able to do anything and that is all my fault. As to their customer service department they are very poor in dealing with customers. And to cancel they ask you so many things all they have to do is stop asking so many questions and do what the customer wishes for. Yamile Hialeah, FloridaU.S.A.
41, Report #121999
Dec 09 2004
AOL ripoff double billing Internet
Since July of 2003 AOL has been double billing us. I myself(Rita)have only used promotional services. My husband (Robert) has been a steady user. He cancelled his account in July this year but we are still being double billed. We have made numerous Phone calls and have sent copies of bills and bank statements to prove our case and it still has not been resolved. Not only that but we have just discovered from customer services that the account names and passwords aren't even ours. They told us to call the fraud department but the phone number they gave is nonresponsive. This happen to us about five years ago and the only way we were able to resolve it was to close our bank account. This creates many problems as my husband and I are both on disability and cannot recieve our checks without a checking account. It also caused numerous overdrafts which we were required to pay. When you live on a fixed income this can be more disasterous than you can imagine. It has cost us the loss of our transportation and our credit status. I really sympathize with others in our position it has happened to. I've always been an honest person(my family says I'm too honest) so I have difficulty believing that companies can line their already bulging pockets from people like us without the least bit of conscience. Thank you for you time. Respectfully RS Rita Clinton, MassachusettsU.S.A. CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Feb 03 2004
AOL ripoff Dulles Virginia
America Online Corp Office 2/03/03 Dulles Virginia 703-265-1000/fax 703-265-1101 To Billing Manager CC: to CEO Re: Gross over charge I am already sick of fighting your people about this matter. If you are not the one person that can correct this problem pass this on to someone that can. Back in March or April of 2003 I was going to cancel AOL and go to Netzero, because of their price plan. I was told by your AOL rep that AOL would match their price plan of $9.95 for unlimited use. Up until December of 2003 that's what we were charged monthly. Then all of a sudden in December we were charged $90. I called and was told that this was for some bring your own broadband. We have never and still do not have any kind of broadband. This was supposedly corrected in December, the charges where reversed. Then surprise!! January brings a $191.42 charge for the same thing. This time however I canceled AOL so this will not happen again. And your people told me on 1-27-04, that yes they see there was an error and that it was corrected in December, and that it would be corrected again..However when I called on 2-3-04 to find out where the refund was, I was told that the refund had been denied. The only reason they would give me, was because I cancelled my Aol subscription. This is terribly outrageous! First being charged for services never used or had by us. In this day and age this is considered stealing. I will state one more time, we have never nor do we now have any kind of broadband service. To top this all off, I talked to a rep named Sam the morning of 2-3-04, he had the nerve to say If I reverse the charges will you come back to Aol I said no, so of course then he told me there was nothing he could do. So, if I had said yes, I would get my $191.42 back??? I expect to be contacted when this billing error is corrected, but not until then.. I will hear no more Aol can't refund your money..Your company has abousulty NO right to charge people for services they do not have! Please note, I was never contacted by Aol about any changes on my account with them. I didnt find out until I was charged. Susan Spokane, WashingtonU.S.A.
Entity: Dulles, Virginia
Jun 23 2003
Aol Broadband ripoff Internet
I am being charged every month 14.95. I never signed up. They have no record of it Dawn ny 14150, New YorkU.S.A.
Sep 02 2003
AOL Netmarket ripoff Internet
I got a card from AOL Netmarket telling me they hope I was enjoying AOL Netmarket membership. and that they were going to bill automatically to my credit card account ( $79.99) for renewal membership fee. I never ordered this from them and don't even know what it is and told the person I talked to the same. I just happened to do a serch for AOL Netmarket. They must think we are stupid. I told the female I was talking to that if this was charged on my credit card I would take them to court and would send report to whomever I had to. She gave me a number; S090230624--said this was my cancellation number (I told her , how could that be since I never order anything in the first place. Sylvia Port Arthur, TexasU.S.A.
Jun 03 2003
AOL Tricky Scam ripoff credit card fraud Internet
I signed up for the free month of internet then cancelled within the month. They kept on billing me saying that someone got on my computer each month and resigned me on by cliking on their icon which I had deleted. When I called to cancel they were very rude and put me on hold for over 20 minutes. The only way I was able to stop them from taking money out of my account was to change the account. This experience cost me more than $140.00 Dan SLC, UtahU.S.A.
Jun 13 2003
AOL ripoff Arlington Loudon Virginia
Here is a letter I sent to aol after attempting to solve the problem over the phone everyday for almost two weeks. I made a fatal attempt yesterday to get help, over the phone, with my AOL account. I received my bank statement yesterday and happened to notice that AOL had charged my account twice for the services. I called back in October in reference to the same problem and was assured that it would be taken care of. I am the first person to admit that I am not diligent about checking my bank statements. Until yesterday! Yesterday I got all my bank statements for 2002 and 2003 together and did an audit on my account. I found that AOL has repeatedly over charged my account in the last two years. Some months I was charged 4 times for the service. Then I checked the credits that were supposed to be credited to the account and found that they were never credited. I was charged for a modem for high speed Internet. A service we never had. I spent weeks on the phone trying to get that straight and was assured that it would be credited and it was not. I bought some items two Christmases ago through aol direct and have just now realized they were never credited. This is fraud! I insist that you audit my account. And reimburse the account for all misappropriated money at once! When a customer gives you the ability to deduct funds from their bank account they hope that company will honour that trust. Make no mistake this is a law suite offence and I intend to take it to court! I am going to venture a guess that I am not the only person this has been done to, so we are talking class action suite. I expect to be contacted by a MANAGER within the next 24 hours. If not I will be contacting an attorney. Just a follow up: I went to the bank to withdraw the money to pay my mortgage. The bank said if I withdraw the mortgage amount my account would be overdrawn because AOL just that day, charged my account! Luisa Arlington, VirginiaU.S.A.
Entity: Arlington/Loudon, Virginia
Aug 02 2003
AOL*NETMARKET ripoff Internet
On May 31 AOL*netmarket charged my visa check card on the amount of 79.99 for a service I had canceled. When I called about this I was told that yes, my service was canceled. I had to call back 3 times before I found someone who would talk to me in a sensible way. This lady tried to tell me I had two accounts, and only canceled one of them. I told her she was as nutty as a fruit cake and that I had to call in twice, once in September, and once in October to cancel. I then called again in December, 2002 to be sure this service was canceled and was assured that it was. On May 31, 2003 my visa check card was charged for the 79.99. I have not been able to get my money refunded as of yet, however, I am filing charges with the PA Attorney General Office. Incidently, my daughter had the same problem, and filed with the Attorney General Office and AOL finaly refunded her money. Erla Claysburg, PennsylvaniaU.S.A.
Sep 06 2003
AOL ripoff Internet
To start my brother had subscribed to AOL internet service, I and my daughter had gotten a screenname on his account and after a year or two I took over his account so not for anyone to lose their screennames. I explained to AOL what my intentions were and told them to bill in my name and my address, which they did . I paid 1 year in advance and this year in March I cancelled AOL. I was told that I would get a refund for what I had not used. I cannot remember exactly how many months I had left but it was at least 4-5 months. I have send them e-mail at least 4 times and have sent them the info they requested by US mail. To this day I have never received my refund. I don't know what else I can do, but I will never refer them to anyone. I have heard a lot lately how AOL rips off people. Sylvia Port Arthur, TexasU.S.A.
Jul 26 2003
AOL Netmarket ripoff deceptive company Internet
I too was charged $79.99 for a service I did not want. I did not receive any materials, nor was it explained to me that I would be charged for this. I was led to believe that it was part of my AOL trial membership, which I have since cancelled as a result of this very upsetting business. If the cost of this service had been explained honestly to me, I would certainly not have chosen it. I will never use AOL again Peter Aiea, HawaiiU.S.A.
Aug 20 2004
Aol ripoff Internet
I was using aol at one time when I decided to go to dsl. I called aol to cancell my subscription when they asked me to keep it for three months for free. I agreed for the fact that i had updated virus scans. Well, the following week I got my credit card bill in and realized that I was charged. I got on the phone and called them. They said it was a mistake and that they would take it off my bill and credit my card. Well, the following week I had a credit and under it I had another charge. I called again and they said the same thing. It's been three months now and I am still getting charges and I don't even have the service. I am in the process of speaking with manager to see what I can do. I will always suggest never to use aol ever. Tara Pierre Part, LouisianaU.S.A.
Entity: Www.aol.com, Internet