Dish Network Total Fiasco Engelwood Colorado
To all Who read this:
This is the letter I have written, faxed, and emailed to Dish Network. As of now, I stll have not recieved ANY compensation or even a phone call to try to make things right. You decide what you would do after this ordeal.
January 26, 2005
9601 South Meridian Drive
Englewood, Colorado 80112
Dear Sir or Madam:
My name is ############ and I reside at ############, ##### ############## ########. My telephone number is (###) ###-####, which can be used to pull up my account. I am writing you today to give you the first chance to make a horrible situation right before further action is taken.
I have been a loyal customer for 2 years now, and never in my entire life have I been treated as badly from any service than I have these last few months from Dish Network. The following is a rough day-to-day estimate of what my wife and I have dealt with:
1. On or about the end of October, beginning of November we purchased a house and began negotiating with Dish Network to move our existing satellite and add two more receivers for a total of four. The young lady I spoke with was very friendly and came up with a deal; one (1) 301 receiver new, and one (1) 501 receiver used for $149.00. The installation would be free as long as I stayed a customer for another year. As I have had no problems up to this point, I was happy to extend a years service from your company. At this point in time we did not know exactly when our closing day would be, so she informed me that she would save this deal into the computer and we would be able to pick it up within a one months or so time.
2. On or around December 10, I contacted dish network to put the items in place. The first person I dealt with was very unhelpful and after almost 20 minutes of trying to figure out what was needed, they dumped me back in to the system where I had to start over with another operator from the beginning. Upon once again going over everything, the new person was very helpful and completed the transaction. I changed my account to the new address and telephone number and ordered the two new receivers. I paid $149.00 on the spot using my credit card as I was told that this needed to be taken care of before sending out. I doubled checked to make sure which address they were going to send it too and they assured me that it was I was also told that both units were in stock in would arrive within 7 to 10 business days.
3. Not too long after Christmas, I called to check on my order, as I still had not received it. Once again the person I spoke with was very unhelpful, not exactly rude, but kept placing me on hold and telling me there was a problem. She came back and told me the items still had not been shipped, then placed me back on hold, then dumped me back into the system where yet another operator picked up and yet again I had to start over from the beginning. This operator told me that both units had shipped and proceeded to give me a tracking number. She also told me that the units had been shipped to the old address and that I had never changed it in the system. Now for the 2nd time, I changed my address and telephone to the new one. I tracked the units and ended up having to go well over 50 miles out of my way to pick them up at the UPS as they wouldn't deliver to the old house do to no one was living there. Upon arriving at UPS, I was then told that there was only one package. I proceeded to call Dish Network on my cell phone where I was on hold for more than an hour. When I finally got a hold of someone, this is what I was told.
4. The gentlemen that I spoke with told me that due to an influx of units sold on and after December 21, that my unit was of course on back order and would be sent out sometime the following week. I comely told him that this was a great story and all but I had paid in full and ordered my units weeks before that and was told that it was in stock. He placed me on hold, which in fact I ended up yet AGAIN being dumped into the system where another operator picked up and I had to start the story over once again. THIS operator told me that there was a problem between where the order was taken and where it needed to go to be shipped out. He apologized and told me he would get it out as soon as he could. I then for the third time made sure my address was changed and then verified TWICE to make sure which address this unit would be sent. He verified the address and also said we should get it by the following week. I then tried to set up an instillation but was told that all four units had to be in my position before I could actually have them print a work order. This was due to the fact that they needed the new ROO and SOO numbers before they could assign me a day. This made since so I just planned on taking off that whole week to make sure someone was home to receive it. Granted I had vacation time coming so I didn't lose any money, but the principle of the thing is, yet again, it was the wrong information.
5. On January 5th, I called yet again to check on my order. I was told it had been sent out, but once again, it was sent to the old address. After a lengthy apology and promise to get the address changed (This is the 4th time I have changed it now), she put me on hold, and yet AGAIN I was dumped back into the system and given to another operator. When this operator came on, my address was verified as being changed by the previous operator, and I was given another tracking number to find my unit. On January 6th, once again I had to drive well over 50 miles out of my way to go get my unit from UPS. I then called right on the spot and began to set up an instillation day. Incidentally I complained that you had a problem of not sending out my units, but no problem sending me a bill. I was given a 15-dollar credit on the system for time not used.
6. When I called to setup a day for instillation at my new house, the earliest day they had was January 15 from 12:00 to 5:00 PM. The operator then told me that I had not paid for installation only for the units. I told him to kindly check in my notes, which should explain everything that needs to be done. He did find such a note and apologized for the misunderstanding. I then verified once again that it was for the new address and that it was a 4 -unit setup, which he agreed it was. I also asked him if he needed the numbers to put into the system as before that was what I was told I was waiting for. He happily told me not at all, and said that is what they tell us so to be sure that when they come for setup that all units are there. Not to worry. But with all that has happened up until now, I was.
7. On January 15, 2005, my installer arrived pretty promptly to put units in. His first question to me was where is the problem in the two rooms. I told him he was here to install a satellite and 4 receivers. His work order had him set as a Trouble shoot 2 receivers. He was not able to stay and actually left. Upon calling Dish Network I was told that this is what I had requested, that they would NOT have put it into the system like that unless I had told them to do so. I said this was ridicules and answered me by saying there was nothing he could do at the moment. I then answered that this was just the last straw and that I would kindly like them to close my account and I would send all items that I already had back for a refund and I was going to switch to a competitor. I was then told that I was under a contract and would be penalized if I do so regardless. I was placed on hold and yet again I was dumped into the system where another operator did promptly help out. Luckily the installer returned 20 minutes later and said that he was given permission to do the job, but needed dish network to change the order. The operator changed the work order and granted the installer whatever it was he needed, and he worked for the next 7 or so hours in the instillation of the units.
8. After everything was in place, one of the new units did not work. Dish Network told me that it would need to be replaced. It would be shipped UPS blue and I should receive it rather quickly. A $7.00 credit was given to the account.
9. On January 15, I called Dish Network to let them know that one of my old controllers all of a sudden had stopped working. We laughed a bit as this was just icing on the cake with everything else that was going on. He told me that the controller was free, but I had to pay a $14.95 fee for shipping and handling. He asked me the receiver it was attached to; I gave him the number from my 511. I also pointed out to make sure it was one that went with a DVR as I have 3 of those and only one of the others. He repeated the order and we hung up.
10. On January 20, I received my controller bright and early before work. It was of course, THE WRONG ONE!! This in itself is what prompted me to take action. I was ready to put all this behind me, but this simple order mess up is the straw that broke the camels back. I was told to ship the controller straight back and that she PROMISES me to get the right one too me ASAP.
11. As of January 24, I spoke with an operator by the name of Al who was extremely helpful in the fact of providing me with an address and e-mail to send this information. He also noted that as of January 24, my new remote should be in my hands when I get home from work as UPS has a delivery schedule as of today.
12. Upon coming home today, my wife informed me that quite a few of the upper channels do not work on the recently replaced receiver. After talking to Dish Network techs, I am once again informed that the receiver is not in working order, and has to be replaced. All operators were quite friendly and helpful. Its almost as if we have a screw you in our contract. I know this is a stupid thing to say, but here we are 2 months later and I STILL am not 100% up and ready to go.
As you can see by the enclosed letter, this experience of one blunder after another as well as extremely inappropriate and down right rude at times customer service, is something no Dish Network customer should ever have to go through. I am basically past the point of being upset and more now concerned on how we are going to be treated in the future should any other problems arise. I spoke with a huge variety of different operators from all over the US, and found maybe two or three to be helpful and understanding to the needs that needed to be met. This company seems to pride themselves as being ranked #1 by JD Power and Associates. I hope this means that this letter will not be ignored, but put to use to fix this wrong doing and make sure that other customers are not going through the same awful experience that we have had to deal with these past few months. I can assure you that if nothing is done, upon my contract being over, I will promptly be switching companies. As up until now I have had nothing but great service, I really do not want to proceed in that direction. I do hope some kind of an understanding can be reached. Thank you for taking the time to work this problem out.
Royal Palm Beach, FloridaU.S.A.
Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Dish Network